• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm hard to say but my best guess would be that when the race started it was about 45-50 degrees, I don't think it got much warmer than that thru the race, but I could be wrong. I was cold in my corral, but I had my throw-away jacket which I ditched around mile 2, then I was comfortable thru the race.

However, after the race I was not prepared for how cold you get after that long of a run!! But then, it had started raining and was getting breezy. I really got the chills and took me til we got back to the room and I took a hot shower before I felt normal. Lesson learned - bring a jacket in my bag check!!

I agree with all this. I was NOT prepared for the cold, since the year before had been so warm. I had throw-away arm sleeves, but that was about it. Cold to start, but warmed up quickly. However, the cool-down in the misting rain after finishing was BAD! REALLY wishing I hadn't tossed the arm warmers but tucked them in my waistband or something. Anyway, moral is to be prepared for anything - just in the 2 days before the race the weather changed drastically. Friday I wore shorts and a sleeveless shirt. Saturday I had to wear jeans and a long-sleeve shirt and sometimes put on a light jacket. Bring it all!

OK, I can handle that kind of weather. The gloves and ear band was a bit much for me at the end of April (French Lady so glad I am not alone!!!).

I think I am off to buy some more running stuff tomorrow. I decided I need a couple more shirts and I need a better plan for pants. I am really petite so most athletic/running pants are way too long and don't hem well. I have sweats that work and shorts but I need something for in between.

OK, I can handle that kind of weather. The gloves and ear band was a bit much for me at the end of April (French Lady so glad I am not alone!!!).

I think I am off to buy some more running stuff tomorrow. I decided I need a couple more shirts and I need a better plan for pants. I am really petite so most athletic/running pants are way too long and don't hem well. I have sweats that work and shorts but I need something for in between.

I have a pair of capri running tights that I love for those inbetween kind of days.

I was also concerned about the weather in FL. My thoughts were if it is cooler weather I have a couple of a skirt/capri combo (one piece) to choose from or if it's going to be on the "warmer" side a running skirt. I guess I just feel the need to look extra girly since it's the Princess 1/2.

Honestly...what I can't prepare for is the humidity. I'm not sure if it will be even an issue that time of year. But we just don't have that problem in CA.

Honestly, FL in February could be anything from 30 degrees to 70 degrees as a start.

2010, it was probably under 40 to start and 60 to end, and cool most of the day. I wore tights and long sleeves and had a throwaway sweatshirt and gloves.

2011, it was 60+ to start and almost 80 at the finish, sunny, and humid. Running skirt and short sleeves and sweating like crazy.

2012, gray and misty the whole time and got colder during the race. The last 2 miles were raining and cold and so you were cold and wet at the finish. Ick. However, 2 days before? The high was 90.

So, my recommendation is to plan your outfit in layers. For example, make your costume or girly part the outmost layer, like a tank and skirt (without built in shorts or anything), and then have inner layers ready (long sleeves, arm warmers, tights, capris, and above the knee compression shorts) and mix/match as necessary. I'd also have throwaway outer layers ready too, a sweatshirt, $1 gloves, and a bondi band for your ears. They make "hot hands" type things as well that you can get for cheap at Walmart or Dicks in case it gets really cold.

It's so interesting to hear about everyone's views on weather. I HATE cold- with a passion!

Yet I was very comfortable the whole time this year. I wouldn't have said it was cold- I thought it could have been a little cooler and I still would have been happy with it! I know my friends were freezing before the start, but I felt good. I was pretty covered in a single layer though, so it must have been just enough to keep from being cold.

I wore calf sleeves, compression shorts, running skirt, sleeveless top with arm sleeves. I didn't toss the sleeves, but I did push them down to my wrists somewhere along the first couple miles. I almost tossed them- then though I might change my mind when we are going in the opposite direction and the wind could be chilly. Plus I tend to slow way down around miles 7-8-9 and figured that might also chill me a bit. I still had the sleeves pushed down at the finish and felt fine. I finished with a light sprinkle of rain, but wasn't in it long enough to make me cold really.

2011 was hot for sure. I blistered like crazy as proof! ugh. Do not want to repeat that experience again!

Honestly, FL in February could be anything from 30 degrees to 70 degrees as a start.

2010, it was probably under 40 to start and 60 to end, and cool most of the day. I wore tights and long sleeves and had a throwaway sweatshirt and gloves.

2011, it was 60+ to start and almost 80 at the finish, sunny, and humid. Running skirt and short sleeves and sweating like crazy.

2012, gray and misty the whole time and got colder during the race. The last 2 miles were raining and cold and so you were cold and wet at the finish. Ick. However, 2 days before? The high was 90.

So, my recommendation is to plan your outfit in layers. For example, make your costume or girly part the outmost layer, like a tank and skirt (without built in shorts or anything), and then have inner layers ready (long sleeves, arm warmers, tights, capris, and above the knee compression shorts) and mix/match as necessary. I'd also have throwaway outer layers ready too, a sweatshirt, $1 gloves, and a bondi band for your ears. They make "hot hands" type things as well that you can get for cheap at Walmart or Dicks in case it gets really cold.

Well I guess I will plan for every type of weather and pack many choices. Packing too much will not be hard since I am a "over packer". Hey, what's one more piece of luggage right?

Kat-how is your Galloway training group going??

It's so interesting to hear about everyone's views on weather. I HATE cold- with a passion!

Yet I was very comfortable the whole time this year. I wouldn't have said it was cold- I thought it could have been a little cooler and I still would have been happy with it! I know my friends were freezing before the start, but I felt good. I was pretty covered in a single layer though, so it must have been just enough to keep from being cold.

I wore calf sleeves, compression shorts, running skirt, sleeveless top with arm sleeves. I didn't toss the sleeves, but I did push them down to my wrists somewhere along the first couple miles. I almost tossed them- then though I might change my mind when we are going in the opposite direction and the wind could be chilly. Plus I tend to slow way down around miles 7-8-9 and figured that might also chill me a bit. I still had the sleeves pushed down at the finish and felt fine. I finished with a light sprinkle of rain, but wasn't in it long enough to make me cold really.

2011 was hot for sure. I blistered like crazy as proof! ugh. Do not want to repeat that experience again!

I think it wasn't nearly as bad this year if you were faster. As someone who finished in nearly 4 hours (due to a number of factors), I can say I was only chilly for the last 2 miles and only outright cold after the race, and that was more from the rain/wet/temp/wind combo than the actual temp. We had one of our group want to get something personalized and hung out for a good 30-45 min after the race and I really, really, really wished I had gear-checked a sweatshirt!

If you finished in 3 or less and left within 30 min of finishing, you wouldn't have noticed the cold I don't think, and it was more than fine before the race.

Well I guess I will plan for every type of weather and pack many choices. Packing too much will not be hard since I am a "over packer". Hey, what's one more piece of luggage right?

Kat-how is your Galloway training group going??

Haha! I meant more from the planning phase of any kind of outfit/costume. We'll have a pretty good idea of the weather the week before the race.

We don't start until May 19th. I'll get to go to one Sat long run then I will be out by you for 3 weeks. I would love to get together on Sat or Sun of each weekend I am there and follow my training group's schedule, though!

I've been so so lazy lately and need to get back into running. I've only been out maybe twice since Princess 2012.

I'm in the camp of bring on the cold! Ideal racing temps for me is high 30s/low 40s at the start and mid 40s/low 50s at the finish. In those conditions I would wear shorts and a singlet. There is nothing worse than heat/humidity on race day to wreck havoc on your pace

WSPrincess - I'm really short too and live at the tailor for hems (only 5'1...ish) and I've never really had a problem with running tights. I couldn't imagine running in actual pants anyways...wouldn't the extra material ust get in the way and be uncomfortable?

Temps and weather is a relative subject...it also has to do with time it takes to complete the course and how long you stand around in a corral.

This year was great for me and DD..corral a and took 2:23. We wore shorts and sleeveless, and mitten until mile 3. Never saw/felt rain.

Last year, a tad warm, corral B 2:19. Wore shorts and sleeveless.

2010...COLD at start., fine at end. I discarded my longsleeve around mile 4, and a quarter mile later wondered if I had made a mistake having just my sleeveless and skirt, but was fine in a mile or so. Corral b, 2:09.

2009 seemed a bit cold at start, ran in sleeveless and skirt. corral b, 2:28.

Have always started with cheap mitten and then discard by mile 3 or 4.

Hey ladies! It sounds like training is going well! I have been trying to find new events to push myself into signing up for, just because I run better/more regularly with short term goals. I don't know if you remember but I did post about a virtual race I did a while ago and I found a few more if people are interested.

The first is on Mother's Day. They are offering a 2 mile walk, a 5k run and a 10k run. You sign up for the event you want, run on Mother's Day, and send your results to the site. Winners will be randomly drawn and you get $50! Here's the link for more info: http://3wraces.com/virtual-registration-for-womens-classic.html

The second one is the one I think I will actually do - it's called the JoggerMom Marathon. This one is especially good for any young moms out there. The deal is that you have to run 26.2 miles over the month of May. However you want to do, just get em in. They have a ton of cool prizes including 5 jogging strollers! Tomorrow is the last day to sign up - which I am about to go do. I normally put in at least 26 miles a month, but for some reason, this race scares me! They are totally open to walkers so I really have nothing to lose! Here's the link to get in if anyone wants to join me: http://joggermommarathon.com/

I think it wasn't nearly as bad this year if you were faster. As someone who finished in nearly 4 hours (due to a number of factors), I can say I was only chilly for the last 2 miles and only outright cold after the race, and that was more from the rain/wet/temp/wind combo than the actual temp. We had one of our group want to get something personalized and hung out for a good 30-45 min after the race and I really, really, really wished I had gear-checked a sweatshirt!

If you finished in 3 or less and left within 30 min of finishing, you wouldn't have noticed the cold I don't think, and it was more than fine before the race.

Haha! I meant more from the planning phase of any kind of outfit/costume. We'll have a pretty good idea of the weather the week before the race.

We don't start until May 19th. I'll get to go to one Sat long run then I will be out by you for 3 weeks. I would love to get together on Sat or Sun of each weekend I am there and follow my training group's schedule, though!

I've been so so lazy lately and need to get back into running. I've only been out maybe twice since Princess 2012.

Kat-----I guess I better work on my finishing time just in case of rain, heat, cold etc. :yay: That’s enough motivation for me.

We can definitely get together on the weekends when you’ re out here. The beginning of June has a couple of birthday to celebrate and I’m not sure of any details yet so I need to be a little flexible. Yes, we can do your group training program. I love the walk/run Galloway programs. On May 1st I’ll start his program for the DL ½. I do so much better with a program I “have” to follow. It not only helps keep me motivated but helps me stay disciplined.

You will be in town during an exciting time. The Golden Gate Bridge is having its 75th anniversary. So there are a lot of events and special things happening for that.

count me in :goodvibes I wanted to run in 2012 but nursing school was a TON of work no time to run :confused3. Now i have 1 week left till graduation :cool1: and i started back c25k plan . I cant wait to run in a tiara

count me in :goodvibes I wanted to run in 2012 but nursing school was a TON of work no time to run :confused3. Now i have 1 week left till graduation :cool1: and i started back c25k plan . I cant wait to run in a tiara

I can't wait to run in a tiara too.

I'm 5 feet "tall" so I know what you mean!!! Check out Athleta.com. A lot of their long work out pants and tights come in petite lengths...I have the Chaturanga (I think I spelled that right) in the petite length and they are PERFECT. I don't run in them because I prefer to run in compression, but I use these pants for boot camp classes in the winter or to just hang around in...they are so comfortable!

I'm 5 feet "tall" so I know what you mean!!! Check out Athleta.com. A lot of their long work out pants and tights come in petite lengths...I have the Chaturanga (I think I spelled that right) in the petite length and they are PERFECT. I don't run in them because I prefer to run in compression, but I use these pants for boot camp classes in the winter or to just hang around in...they are so comfortable!

Glad I am not alone! I don't even make 5' though I am almost never in flats so I don't advertise it :rotfl2: When I am running I just keep moving so it is less obvious.

Thanks for the tip! I checked out the site and love it. Now to spend more money. What compression ones do you like? This is all so new to me, I feel like the unfashionable, out there, weird one who knows almost nothing!

Just wanted to pipe in and say good luck to all of you! I ran the Princess this year as my first 1/2 and decided I want to try all the Disney races one time thru first before I run them a second time, so I wont do the princess again for a few years. The Princess was awesome, you guys will love it! I'm going for my coast to coast in DIsneyland in September!

My mantra the past 18 months has been when times get tough when you are out running, DIG DEEP!
Michele

Glad I am not alone! I don't even make 5' though I am almost never in flats so I don't advertise it :rotfl2: When I am running I just keep moving so it is less obvious.

Thanks for the tip! I checked out the site and love it. Now to spend more money. What compression ones do you like? This is all so new to me, I feel like the unfashionable, out there, weird one who knows almost nothing!

To run in, I stick with Nike compression running shorts or capris, depending on the season. What I like to call the "hard-core" compression gear (CW-X, etc.) doesn't work for me because it's constructed and sewn in a way to target very specific areas...and when a 5-footer wears it, stuff just doesn't hit in the right spots. Their "shorts" hit me right in the bend of my knee and their capris go all the way to my ankles. It's too bad though, because their compression feels great! I did recently purchase a pair of compression calf sleeves by CEP that I absolutely love for recovery after a long run.

The second one is the one I think I will actually do - it's called the JoggerMom Marathon. This one is especially good for any young moms out there. The deal is that you have to run 26.2 miles over the month of May. However you want to do, just get em in. They have a ton of cool prizes including 5 jogging strollers! Tomorrow is the last day to sign up - which I am about to go do. I normally put in at least 26 miles a month, but for some reason, this race scares me! They are totally open to walkers so I really have nothing to lose! Here's the link to get in if anyone wants to join me: http://joggermommarathon.com/

I'm in! I haven't done much running since the princess, but I think it's time to get back on the road. This will help. I wouldn't mind a new stroller either. LOL Thanks for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter