The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Jenn! The Princess is the most fun you will ever have. This year was my first half and first Princess. This year DH and the kids came and my mom met us up at Disney. This year I definately want to do it again, but I am planning on doing it with a few friends and leaving the family at home! After I finished the race this year, we went back to the hotel so I could shower and then we hit the parks. It is definately better to keep moving so you don't stiffen up. We went to MK and then to Epcot for dinner and watched Illuminations. I think we got back to the room by 10:30. By then I was ready to pass out!

My family wants to be there... but maybe we should just go a day earlier so we can plan a day at the park before the run! That might work out better!

Thanks!:yay:

Start line is actually on a road near Epcot. The staging area is in the Epcot parking lot, that's where they gather everyone and you walk as a herd to the start line. The road is on the other side of a bunch of trees from the parking lot.

Finish line is in the Epcot parking lot. They have you exit Epcot on the side of Spaceship Earth, past the restrooms, you go backstage see the Gospel Choir, mile 13 is near the old kennel club, then out to the parking lot finish line.

The monorail is not running that early - if you stay at a monorail resort you have to take a bus. Even the Epcot resorts you have to take a bus since the park is not open. The only resorts you could walk there is from the Port Orleans or Old Key West; I know some ladies did that but I'd be too nervous personally to do that!

Hope that helps :thumbsup2

1st time race for us, Confused by threads that speak of certain hotels for this race, what does this mean?:hippie:

My family wants to be there... but maybe we should just go a day earlier so we can plan a day at the park before the run! That might work out better!

Thanks!:yay:

I would recommend that you plan for park touring the day of or the day after the race, not the one before! The wakeup call for this race is 3AM, so you will want to go to bed super-early on Saturday, plus adding park touring and sore feet before the race is not the best idea (says the girl who has done it 3 years in a row and regrets it every time!).

Also, the week before the race is President's Day week and has the extra crowds and higher hotel prices to go with it. The week after is much better.

When I ran Princess a few years ago, I basically woke up, raced my heart out, and then went back to hotel room to eat, shower and head back out the parks. I spent the entire afternoon in Epcot, and then monorailed it back to the Contemporary for dinner at California Grill. Then, I headed back to Magic for fireworks and extra magic hours until 1 am. How I managed....I have no idea :lmao: Hey you only live once, right?

Applaud your energy. My SIL is doing this race next Feb and wanted to watch. We are staying at BWV any recommendations on best viewing opportunities close to this hotel?

1st time race for us, Confused by threads that speak of certain hotels for this race, what does this mean?:hippie:

Disney does what they call "host hotels" for the Princess, or has for the last few years anyhow.

What that means is that they provide bus transportation from those hotels to the expo and to the race start. If you don't stay at one of those hotels, you are responsible for your own transportation to both (cab or driving).

Parking at the WWoS (Expo) and Epcot parking lot (race start) are both free.

The Princess has historically started around 5:45AM and you need to be at bag check no later than about 4:30AM, so you are usually catching a bus by 3:30 or leaving to drive around 4 if you want to get there in time to start.

I've done this race 3 times now, so please feel free to ask any questions that you might have! :goodvibes

I ran my second half marathon today. I finished in 2:46:21. Not too bad since I really got off track since the Princess Half. Disney races really do spoil you. So much entertainment along the way. It was a nice course along the beach and ocean, but I really missed stopping with the characters. It really made the time go by quicker!

I ran my second half marathon today. I finished in 2:46:21. Not too bad since I really got off track since the Princess Half. Disney races really do spoil you. So much entertainment along the way. It was a nice course along the beach and ocean, but I really missed stopping with the characters. It really made the time go by quicker!

:woohoo:Congrats! :woohoo:

I am getting very excited watching clips on your tube....I have also downloaded the Jeff galloway training program. We plan to arrive 3 days before the marathon to allow us to get over the jet lag!

For the first time I went and got fitted for shoes today. I was running in the Adidas Marathon 10 and while I like the shoes after about a month I didn't feel like they were working for me. I ended up with a pair of the Brooks Glycerin 9 and a pair of superfeet insoles. I can't wait to try them out this weekend.
New shoes DO make a difference, don't they!

Thanks for the heads up - yeah walking the parks might be a little much. The family wants to come though... maybe I just let them go play and I go back to the hotel and sleep!!!::yes::
I agree with this a bit - I'll probably end up turning in early and leaving the family at a park!

I would recommend that you plan for park touring the day of or the day after the race, not the one before! The wakeup call for this race is 3AM, so you will want to go to bed super-early on Saturday, plus adding park touring and sore feet before the race is not the best idea (says the girl who has done it 3 years in a row and regrets it every time!).

Also, the week before the race is President's Day week and has the extra crowds and higher hotel prices to go with it. The week after is much better.
Great tips for us newbies! Thanks :)

New shoes DO make a difference, don't they!

I agree with this a bit - I'll probably end up turning in early and leaving the family at a park!

Great tips for us newbies! Thanks :)

Thanks everyone for the info. I cannot wait to do this run... It is my training motivation right now :)

SCCA 5k race recap.. Thursday afternoon the butterflies set in. DH got home from work around 3pm, we started getting everyone ready (with four kids, it takes us awhile lol). My cousin was meeting us there to watch the kids while we ran, thank goodness! My mom, DH, and 3 of the girls that are running the Princess half with me next year were also running.
We arrived a little after 5, giving us nearly an hour to get warmed up and ready to go. It was almost 80 degrees and sunny. HOT.
I used the restroom, drank my Gatorade pre-game fuel, applied my lip gloss, fixed my iPod, and took off to warm up. I ran/walked about a mile before the race.. I try to get at least a mile in, it takes me awhile to get going, I do not shoot out of the gate like some people!
There was a huge timer counting down until race time. At about 5 minutes to go, we gathered at the starting line. I was SO nervous, basically trying not to throw up at this point. One of my friends made me move to the front of the pack, and said, "Don't be scared." I didn't have much time to think after that, they counted down from 10 seconds and fired the gun! Off we went!
The course ran past a small playground and through an almost flat residential area, beside the Ohio river. I didn't know the course beforehand, and I do not like that. They had the 1 mile and 2 miles marked, but no one to tell your time. I didn't have a watch or my phone, so I was asking other runners what was our time? I hit the first mile right at 9 minutes, very fast for me!! I slowed down a little on the second mile, and my heel/ankle started aching BAD. Almost to the point that I wanted to quit. :worried: I slowed down a little more, and I started getting passed. I knew there was less than a mile left, so I just endured the torture and kept going. I kept thinking, you are almost done, just finish and get some ice on it.. So, I did.
When I came into view of the timer, it said 28:00! :eek::eek: That is SOOO fast for me!! By this point, I was running so slow, it was nearly a walk, so.. it took me another minute and a half to actually get to the finish line.. and it was just across a parking lot.. :(
I did finish in 29:31, that is my new PR, beating out my old PR by 4:14!!! :cool1: I am VERY excited about that!! I KNOW it's from all of the long runs that I do! It really does pay off to get those 6 miles + runs in!
After the run, I tried walking around a little.. more like limping. I placed 3rd in my age group, 7th overall in the women. :dance3:
Friday, I really couldn't walk. Today, it feels much better but is still sore and I'm still limping. I've put off Urgent Care because I'm scared that they will find a fracture or something :worried:
I guess I need to take a few days off and let it heal. I'm supposed to be in a 5 mile race on May 5th, and I don't know if I'll be able to do it at all now. Anyway, here are my friends and I after the race. We have been friends since Kindergarten and have been running together since 7th grade track :) I'm the one in the white hat.

B694AD07.jpg

SCCA 5k race recap.. Thursday afternoon the butterflies set in. DH got home from work around 3pm, we started getting everyone ready (with four kids, it takes us awhile lol). My cousin was meeting us there to watch the kids while we ran, thank goodness! My mom, DH, and 3 of the girls that are running the Princess half with me next year were also running.
We arrived a little after 5, giving us nearly an hour to get warmed up and ready to go. It was almost 80 degrees and sunny. HOT.
I used the restroom, drank my Gatorade pre-game fuel, applied my lip gloss, fixed my iPod, and took off to warm up. I ran/walked about a mile before the race.. I try to get at least a mile in, it takes me awhile to get going, I do not shoot out of the gate like some people!
There was a huge timer counting down until race time. At about 5 minutes to go, we gathered at the starting line. I was SO nervous, basically trying not to throw up at this point. One of my friends made me move to the front of the pack, and said, "Don't be scared." I didn't have much time to think after that, they counted down from 10 seconds and fired the gun! Off we went!
The course ran past a small playground and through an almost flat residential area, beside the Ohio river. I didn't know the course beforehand, and I do not like that. They had the 1 mile and 2 miles marked, but no one to tell your time. I didn't have a watch or my phone, so I was asking other runners what was our time? I hit the first mile right at 9 minutes, very fast for me!! I slowed down a little on the second mile, and my heel/ankle started aching BAD. Almost to the point that I wanted to quit. :worried: I slowed down a little more, and I started getting passed. I knew there was less than a mile left, so I just endured the torture and kept going. I kept thinking, you are almost done, just finish and get some ice on it.. So, I did.
When I came into view of the timer, it said 28:00! :eek::eek: That is SOOO fast for me!! By this point, I was running so slow, it was nearly a walk, so.. it took me another minute and a half to actually get to the finish line.. and it was just across a parking lot.. :(
I did finish in 29:31, that is my new PR, beating out my old PR by 4:14!!! :cool1: I am VERY excited about that!! I KNOW it's from all of the long runs that I do! It really does pay off to get those 6 miles + runs in!
After the run, I tried walking around a little.. more like limping. I placed 3rd in my age group, 7th overall in the women. :dance3:
Friday, I really couldn't walk. Today, it feels much better but is still sore and I'm still limping. I've put off Urgent Care because I'm scared that they will find a fracture or something :worried:
I guess I need to take a few days off and let it heal. I'm supposed to be in a 5 mile race on May 5th, and I don't know if I'll be able to do it at all now. Anyway, here are my friends and I after the race. We have been friends since Kindergarten and have been running together since 7th grade track :) I'm the one in the white hat.

B694AD07.jpg

WOW, great time! I really hope some rest will make your ankle feel better. I think it is so neat that you are still running with people you have known so long! Can I ask--How long are you up to for your long runs?

B694AD07.jpg

Congrats on finishing and with a PR!!! :worship: How fun to have such great friends to do it with!

I did a 5K today. My coworker was supposed to do it with me, but she overslept! I was secretly okay with that. I would have enjoyed her company, but I'm faster than she is (and that's not saying much! LOL). I finished at 49:08, in 2100th place! LOL :rotfl: But, since this was only my 2nd 5K ever, I'm ecstatic! :banana: And, best of all? I got BLING! Ain't it purty!?
1335119380-1.jpg

WOW, great time! I really hope some rest will make your ankle feel better. I think it is so neat that you are still running with people you have known so long! Can I ask--How long are you up to for your long runs?

Thank you!! My longest run so far was 8.5.

Congrats on finishing and with a PR!!! :worship: How fun to have such great friends to do it with!

I did a 5K today. My coworker was supposed to do it with me, but she overslept! I was secretly okay with that. I would have enjoyed her company, but I'm faster than she is (and that's not saying much! LOL). I finished at 49:08, in 2100th place! LOL :rotfl: But, since this was only my 2nd 5K ever, I'm ecstatic! :banana: And, best of all? I got BLING! Ain't it purty!?
1335119380-1.jpg

Love the bling!! Congrats!!!
I will say, during training, and during the Princess Half, my group will stay together. But when we run these little races around here.. We do compete with each other :)

B694AD07.jpg

Congrats !!!!!!!!

I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who applies lip gloss before a run. :rotfl: Actually, I have to admit I apply it even during my runs and races. ::yes::

Now I want to run because I am ready for BLING! OK, I think I am just reading to compete or something. I am enjoying training but I find I like my challenge runs on the weekend more since I am trying to do better! I am not sure how I will do in my first 5K but I am ready to see. I have decided I am going to do the Detroit Race for the Cure 5K. I have worked it for several years and I like the atmosphere and location. Plus I was able to talk my 16 year old niece into running it with me. Too bad I think she is going to kick my butt but at least I will have one down.

So DH has gotten so much more supportive. When I first brought up doing this he said "You really want to run 13 miles? If you want the medal can't we just order it on ebay?". Well since then he has been amazing and he even said tonight he is so looking forward to going down there with me. It makes me even more motivated!

Now I want to run because I am ready for BLING! OK, I think I am just reading to compete or something. I am enjoying training but I find I like my challenge runs on the weekend more since I am trying to do better! I am not sure how I will do in my first 5K but I am ready to see. I have decided I am going to do the Detroit Race for the Cure 5K. I have worked it for several years and I like the atmosphere and location. Plus I was able to talk my 16 year old niece into running it with me. Too bad I think she is going to kick my butt but at least I will have one down.

So DH has gotten so much more supportive. When I first brought up doing this he said "You really want to run 13 miles? If you want the medal can't we just order it on ebay?". Well since then he has been amazing and he even said tonight he is so looking forward to going down there with me. It makes me even more motivated!

There is nothing better than DISNEY BLING. I'm glad your DH is more supportive. Maybe he will start to train and both of you can do a race together. They are kind of addictive since there is always another medal out there to add to your collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter