The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I want to run because I am ready for BLING! OK, I think I am just reading to compete or something. I am enjoying training but I find I like my challenge runs on the weekend more since I am trying to do better! I am not sure how I will do in my first 5K but I am ready to see. I have decided I am going to do the Detroit Race for the Cure 5K. I have worked it for several years and I like the atmosphere and location. Plus I was able to talk my 16 year old niece into running it with me. Too bad I think she is going to kick my butt but at least I will have one down.

So DH has gotten so much more supportive. When I first brought up doing this he said "You really want to run 13 miles? If you want the medal can't we just order it on ebay?". Well since then he has been amazing and he even said tonight he is so looking forward to going down there with me. It makes me even more motivated!

My DH has been running also. I would love for him to come with me.. but not in '13. Maybe the year after LOL.. Can you get your DH to run with you?

I ran my second half marathon today. I finished in 2:46:21.
Congratulations!!! :cheer2:

SCCA 5k race recap...
Congrats on an awesome time!!! :cheer2: I'm so sorry about your ankle - any better today?

I did a 5K today... I finished at 49:08, in 2100th place! LOL :rotfl: But, since this was only my 2nd 5K ever, I'm ecstatic! :banana: And, best of all? I got BLING! Ain't it purty!?
Congrats!!! :cheer2: That is some nice bling! :thumbsup2

So DH has gotten so much more supportive. When I first brought up doing this he said "You really want to run 13 miles? If you want the medal can't we just order it on ebay?". Well since then he has been amazing and he even said tonight he is so looking forward to going down there with me. It makes me even more motivated!
:goodvibes That's great - so much easier to get out and do it when you feel supported. ::yes::

Tell your DH to get ready...this is how the madness starts :laughing: My BF got into this running business before I did and it only took being a spectator at two of them before I HAD to try it. The atmosphere is electric, and sitting in the bleachers at the finish line is so inspiring and makes you feel like you could do anything!

Actually, I have to admit I apply it even during my runs and races. ::yes::
A fellow lip gloss junkie!! Awesome!! :)
Oh thank goodness it's not just me! I thought I was weird to need to apply so much:confused3 but I'm a mouth-breather, so my lips dry out quickly. I currently use Blistex in the blue tube. What do you guys use (maybe it's better?)

It is SOOOOO good to have a supportive spouse/partner/buddy! I was talking to hubby last night and I mentioned a run I did last weekend and he got kind of mad that I didn't tell him about it. When I asked why he was mad, he said that he WANTS to know all the stuff I'm doing because he's so proud of me and wants to be part of this with me! Awwww :love:

It is SOOOOO good to have a supportive spouse/partner/buddy! I was talking to hubby last night and I mentioned a run I did last weekend and he got kind of mad that I didn't tell him about it. When I asked why he was mad, he said that he WANTS to know all the stuff I'm doing because he's so proud of me and wants to be part of this with me! Awwww :love:

That is so sweet!

I don't think DH will ever get into running. He is more a team sports person and just doesn't like the actual running thing which I think is why his change in attitude is surprising. Though he did say he loves hearing about it so maybe he will surprise me and start!

I ran my second half marathon today. I finished in 2:46:21. Not too bad since I really got off track since the Princess Half. Disney races really do spoil you. So much entertainment along the way. It was a nice course along the beach and ocean, but I really missed stopping with the characters. It really made the time go by quicker!

Congrats!! That's a great time!

Never ever go anywhere without mine !!!!!!:thumbsup2

Ditto! :thumbsup2

Oh thank goodness it's not just me! I thought I was weird to need to apply so much:confused3 but I'm a mouth-breather, so my lips dry out quickly. I currently use Blistex in the blue tube. What do you guys use (maybe it's better?)

Um, well I use the colored glittery gooey stuff from Bath & Body Works!! It stays on very well :lmao: Probably because it's like glue!

Guess what! I made my ADRs for my October trip this morning! I can't wait!
We are staying at POR. Is there a running trail there?

Congratulations!!! :cheer2:

Congrats on an awesome time!!! :cheer2: I'm so sorry about your ankle - any better today?

Thanks! I went to Urgent Care yesterday and had it X-Rayed, no breaks or fractures, thank God! I'm giving myself a week off and then I'll try to fast walk on Friday. Thanks for asking!

Hi everyone! I haven't been around much lately, but I've been keeping up with y'all through my daily emails. I've been in a funk lately, but y'all are so inspiring! Just reading your posts made me remember why I started doing this in the first place!

I've started logging my food on myfitnesspal again, and have my gym clothes ready to change into when I leave work. I made sure DH got out of the house early this morning so he can leave work on time to get the kids. I'm actually looking forward to my walk this evening, and I'm going to start strength training today also.

If anyone is on myfitnesspal and wants to support each other on there, please send me a private message and I'll send you my username.

Also, does anyone know if there is a disboard FB group for the 2013 PHM? I'm in a group for my Nov trip, and it's great being able to keep up with other and get to know each other on there also.

Question: Can someone who has done the race before give me an estimate of expenses... resort (mod or value - do race participants get a discount), park tickets (I know race participants get a discount), cost of race t-shirt (I think that's the only thing I'm going to want to buy), and anything else you can think of? I've got to set a budget and start putting funds aside. We are taking a family trip to WDW in Nov so I have to save for both!

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Believe it or not I use AVON Lip Balm in Chocolate. It's got a slight hint of color, moisturizing not sticky and works well over my real lipstick. Hey-it's chocolate smell and flavor.

That's wonderful. I's so nice to have their support. For the last race I was in (Tinker Bell 1/2) DH made a really cool sign for me even had some lights attached so I would see it at the start in the dark. He had fun doing that and he said he would top that one for the princess--so I can hardly wait.

Hi everyone! I haven't been around much lately, but I've been keeping up with y'all through my daily emails. I've been in a funk lately, but y'all are so inspiring! Just reading your posts made me remember why I started doing this in the first place!

I've started logging my food on myfitnesspal again, and have my gym clothes ready to change into when I leave work. I made sure DH got out of the house early this morning so he can leave work on time to get the kids. I'm actually looking forward to my walk this evening, and I'm going to start strength training today also.

Me too Happy! I have been in the same kind of funk. I am really trying to come out of it. And hearing all of the wonderful progress that everyone is having is helping me get back out of it. I have finally started back with what I was doing a while ago. I hope your transition back works out well for you. :hug:

Great job to all the ladies who had races this past weekend!!:cheer2:

I did a small 5K on Saturday. There were less than 170 folks running. There were no timing chips or big race clock, just some guy at the end with a stopwatch.

I always position myself towards the back of the pack at the start of a race, so I don't slow down folks, so I started my watch when I crossed the start line. According to my watch, I did the race in 39:31. My first time breaking 40 minutes....sort of. According to the guy at the finsih line with the stopwatch, my official race time was over 41 minutes, but I still beat my previous time of 41:50. I have to go by the official time, but at least I know for my next race I can do it in under 40.

This is my worst question yet but what kind of socks do you guys like to wear for running? I have not found any I like. I am a flip flop/sandals girls so putting on socks and shoes anytime when there is not snow on the ground is hard for me. So what do you use that you like?

My DH was skeptical, but cautiously supportive when I started. Not his fault - I am the queen of being enthusiastic about stuff and then losing interest. However, we're talking Disney World here! So, as it became more obvious that I was sticking with this, he became more supportive.

My DH has been running also. I would love for him to come with me.. but not in '13. Maybe the year after LOL.. Can you get your DH to run with you?

Mine always ran on a TM at work but had no interest in races until I started doing them. Now we do a few together a year. Only difficulty is getting someone to watch the 3 kids while we get up early to go race!

Guess what! I made my ADRs for my October trip this morning! I can't wait!
We are staying at POR. Is there a running trail there?

How fun! We stayed at POFQ for the Princess and there is a pretty little trail that goes right along the river and links both resorts. Very pretty and peaceful in the am. Not that we ran on it - we had parks to get to, girl! :rotfl:

Question: Can someone who has done the race before give me an estimate of expenses... resort (mod or value - do race participants get a discount), park tickets (I know race participants get a discount), cost of race t-shirt (I think that's the only thing I'm going to want to buy), and anything else you can think of? I've got to set a budget and start putting funds aside. We are taking a family trip to WDW in Nov so I have to save for both!

On my blog (in signature) I've got a break down of my last year expenses under a post titled "Grand Opening of the 2013 Princess Fund". I am determined to save up for this year WELL in advance. It's only been a couple of months and I already have $200 socked away in a savings account. I would also recommend the FB site / blog "Couponing To Disney" - lots of great tips on how to add to your Disney Fund and she always alerts as to when there are great sales at the Disney Store or online so that you can stash away "souvenirs" ahead of time. The Princess weekend is VERY expensive but 100% worth it to me. A girl's weekend away in the happiest place on earth, proving my own strength to myself? Truly priceless. :lovestruc

This is my worst question yet but what kind of socks do you guys like to wear for running? I have not found any I like. I am a flip flop/sandals girls so putting on socks and shoes anytime when there is not snow on the ground is hard for me. So what do you use that you like?

I think it's a GREAT question... because I really, really love my running socks, lol! :yay: I use the SmartWool PHD Run Light Micro and they make my feet so very happy. They wick sweat like a charm, have lots of cushion, and let my toes go where they want without feeling all squished in a sock. They ARE thick, though - I buy my shoes a 1/2 size up to use them. There's another model that's Ultra Light and it has all of the comfort but no cushion for those who prefer a thinner sock.

I like a heavy cushion in my sock. The thin ones, I get blisters.

What I did was to go Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls and buy wicking socks there. They have all the major brands and for a lot less. I figured that way if they didn't work for me, I wasn't out all the $$ too.

Make sure to get little to no cotton, and try cushion and non-cushion and see what works best for you.

I can't do wool - allergic.

I just love wearing Balega running socks. They are a "seamfree" performace sock and are my favorites. They run about $10.00 a pair. Well worth the cost. You can get them at running stores or on line at Running Warehouse.

I also love my flip flops---have you tried Havaianas. I never knew there was a difference in flip flop quality and comfort until I tried those in Hawaii. Now I embarrassed to mention how many pairs I have.

Are any of you Wish Princesses doing the Downhill@Dawn 1/2 in Ridgecrest, NC.
It is June 2. It is suppose to be a down hill route with a couple of uphill turns. Nice and fast, hopefully I can use that as my Princess time. If not then I will just do a small 10k here in Georgia.
I just started really focusing on tempo runs, speed work that Jeff Galloway has in his book. Last year goal with any race was to finish now I want to be able to actually finish and tour the parks next year:rotfl2: I know I laid out by the pool at our rental for mOst of Monday and did not feel normal until that Wed. My family was not impressed so this year I want to be in good condition to keep it moving and be in the park like the other Princess with their medals!!

I think it's a GREAT question... because I really, really love my running socks, lol! :yay: I use the SmartWool PHD Run Light Micro and they make my feet so very happy. They wick sweat like a charm, have lots of cushion, and let my toes go where they want without feeling all squished in a sock. They ARE thick, though - I buy my shoes a 1/2 size up to use them. There's another model that's Ultra Light and it has all of the comfort but no cushion for those who prefer a thinner sock.

I second the vote for smartwool socks... They are the best!!! I have several pairs in fun colors, (always important for speed and endurance) and love them!!!

Great job to all the ladies who had races this past weekend!!:cheer2:

I did a small 5K on Saturday. There were less than 170 folks running. There were no timing chips or big race clock, just some guy at the end with a stopwatch.

I always position myself towards the back of the pack at the start of a race, so I don't slow down folks, so I started my watch when I crossed the start line. According to my watch, I did the race in 39:31. My first time breaking 40 minutes....sort of. According to the guy at the finsih line with the stopwatch, my official race time was over 41 minutes, but I still beat my previous time of 41:50. I have to go by the official time, but at least I know for my next race I can do it in under 40.

I think YOUR time is the one that is more official. You started it when you got to the line, so that is right. :)

My DH was skeptical, but cautiously supportive when I started. Not his fault - I am the queen of being enthusiastic about stuff and then losing interest. However, we're talking Disney World here! So, as it became more obvious that I was sticking with this, he became more supportive.

Mine always ran on a TM at work but had no interest in races until I started doing them. Now we do a few together a year. Only difficulty is getting someone to watch the 3 kids while we get up early to go race!

OH I kwym!! My first 5k this year, I made my bigger two run it (4 and 7 yr olds lol) and I pushed the babies in the jogging stroller.

How fun! We stayed at POFQ for the Princess and there is a pretty little trail that goes right along the river and links both resorts. Very pretty and peaceful in the am. Not that we ran on it - we had parks to get to, girl! :rotfl:

I'll have to get in at least one run while I'm there!!

On my blog (in signature) I've got a break down of my last year expenses under a post titled "Grand Opening of the 2013 Princess Fund". I am determined to save up for this year WELL in advance. It's only been a couple of months and I already have $200 socked away in a savings account. I would also recommend the FB site / blog "Couponing To Disney" - lots of great tips on how to add to your Disney Fund and she always alerts as to when there are great sales at the Disney Store or online so that you can stash away "souvenirs" ahead of time. The Princess weekend is VERY expensive but 100% worth it to me. A girl's weekend away in the happiest place on earth, proving my own strength to myself? Truly priceless. :lovestruc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter