The New *Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like I'm starting from scratch here - did 2 miles Sat. as my first "long" run of the training plan. :rotfl: But I did it pain-free, so that's something, right? Baby steps... Seeing the sports med doc Thurs. and hoping he comes up with a magic cure I haven't yet tried for my ITBS. A girl can hope, right?! :wizard:

I have no words of advice just lots of these :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:!

I am so sorry you're going through all of this especially all of your careful training. This must be so frustrating - I do hope your doctor will know of a way to relieve your pain and get back into training.

More of these :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Okay I think I'm in. My preliminary teaching schedule just came out (I'm an adjunct at the same college where my husband is full time) and I'm off on Fridays which means we could leave on Friday morning. The bummer is that our teaching jobs plus a junior in high school mean we're headed home after the race but I think that's okay. General public resort codes are coming out. DVC PAP pass deal for tickets. Kind of feels like the stars are aligning.

Guess I'll see everyone in February. I'll be running by myself since my husband will have to drive home and it's a long drive for us (we live in Florida but about as far from the Mouse as you can get).

Hi everyone.

I'm considering running the Princess but I have a few questions. Brief background is that I'm 43 and up until two years ago, I weighed close to 260 pounds (maybe more). I've lost about 115 pounds in the past couple of years, including 60 in the past six months. During that six months, I've gradually but dramatically increased my exercise activity, going from walking to run/walking intervals to even running. Generally, I run on Tues/Thurs/Sunday. Tuesday is 3 to 4 miles and Thursday has been a six miler since I was prepping for a 10K. On Sunday, I've been doing longer runs but doing intervals (every other song is a walk). Two weeks ago, it was ten miles and this weekend it was a full 13.2. I walk on the "off" days - a minimum of two hours at a stretch.

On Saturday, I did my first official 10K race with a time of 1:07. Ran the whole thing. It was chip timed and I have proof of time. Any idea what corral that might place me in?

On Sunday (the day following the race - not the greatest move), I did walk/run intervals for 13.2 miles. I was pretty slow - 3:03. For some reason, I still can't wrap my mind around being a runner. I still feel like that 250+ pound person and I keep feeling like I need to "prove" to myself that I can do longer distances. So is there any advice on training? Should I train as if I'm trying to run the whole thing? Or do intervals (which honestly make me so much happier). I've thought about increasing the run intervals (maybe two songs to one song walk). I have Runkeeper and I could timed intervals as well but I have no clue what the ratios should be. And what kind of training do I do given that I can do that 13.2 distance with intervals. Should I back off somewhat?

One thing that plays into this is that I'd like to take off about eight more pounds and I really don't want to gain any back so long periods of physical activity are pretty much a necessity for me (I've completely changed my eating as well but I need the exercise too).

Thanks for any help/comments.

Amazing story. Congratulations! You should be beaming with pride. :cool1:

We follow the Jeff Galloway walk/run plan which you can download from RunDisney. I have no training advice for you - others here are better off equiped to advise you on that aspect. I'd say to stay with whatever it is you're doing, keep doing it because it's paying off big time.

You need to register for the Princess. You can already do the mileage. I'm envious of your 10K time - it's great!

You are indeed a runner and don't let anyone say or hint at anything different. Wow.

yeah, it was a sunny day! i was in the middle of training for a tri, and did a brick the day before (something like 20-23 mile bike followed by a 2-3 mile run...honestly can't remember the details that far back), so i took it easy and paced my friend to sub 1 hr. i really wish they would move that 10K to the spring or fall...the course was so flat and fast.

he medley is the 5k, 10k, and half. the half is def a tough course (see above post) but it is possible to PR. qualifying for the marathon is a huge life goal for me. but clearly, as my new half PR is about a minute per mile slower then that i need to run a full marathon in, i have a long road ahead of me, if it ever does happen for me.

good luck in the 10k tomorrow...let us know how it goes!
10K was good-- didn't get a PR in time, but did in pace. The difference was the extra distance I ran weaving in and out of the other racers... it's much easier to PR in a race with <200 people than one with >7000. The weather was great for running, and the race was very well organized, and we met Joan Benoit Samuelson!

Any guesses as to what a Corral A time would be for the Princess? Last year, 1:04 was B, could 58:40 be A? I'm starting a 10K time improvement program (intervals, tempo runs) and aiming for a 10K at Thanksgiving, so we'll see how much improvement I can make!

Hi everyone.

I'm considering running the Princess but I have a few questions. Brief background is that I'm 43 and up until two years ago, I weighed close to 260 pounds (maybe more). I've lost about 115 pounds in the past couple of years, including 60 in the past six months. During that six months, I've gradually but dramatically increased my exercise activity, going from walking to run/walking intervals to even running. Generally, I run on Tues/Thurs/Sunday. Tuesday is 3 to 4 miles and Thursday has been a six miler since I was prepping for a 10K. On Sunday, I've been doing longer runs but doing intervals (every other song is a walk). Two weeks ago, it was ten miles and this weekend it was a full 13.2. I walk on the "off" days - a minimum of two hours at a stretch.

On Saturday, I did my first official 10K race with a time of 1:07. Ran the whole thing. It was chip timed and I have proof of time. Any idea what corral that might place me in?

On Sunday (the day following the race - not the greatest move), I did walk/run intervals for 13.2 miles. I was pretty slow - 3:03. For some reason, I still can't wrap my mind around being a runner. I still feel like that 250+ pound person and I keep feeling like I need to "prove" to myself that I can do longer distances. So is there any advice on training? Should I train as if I'm trying to run the whole thing? Or do intervals (which honestly make me so much happier). I've thought about increasing the run intervals (maybe two songs to one song walk). I have Runkeeper and I could timed intervals as well but I have no clue what the ratios should be. And what kind of training do I do given that I can do that 13.2 distance with intervals. Should I back off somewhat?

One thing that plays into this is that I'd like to take off about eight more pounds and I really don't want to gain any back so long periods of physical activity are pretty much a necessity for me (I've completely changed my eating as well but I need the exercise too).

Oh. My. Goodness. You're about as real a runner as it gets, sister! Love the pics in your signature. What an amazing accomplishment.

Personally, I like intervals - it is mentally perfect for me to break a run up into shorter chunks. I tried doing smaller, time intervals, but found the stopping and starting too frequent for me and messed with my "groove". I ended up settling on running for a mile, walking for a minute and repeating that all the way through. On tougher days or when I am pushing my 4 y.o. in the stroller, I cut back to half mile intervals. You really just need to try a few things out to see what feels right. I agree with the prev. poster who said that she finds she is faster when she uses intervals.

As far as training goes, I would take a peek at several different half marathon plans and see what fits best in your schedule. Once you pick a plan, see how many weeks it takes and back it up from the Princess date. I would definitely not keep up a 13 mile long run every weekend from now to the princess; I think you need to give your body a bit of a break, knock it back and slowly work your way back up again. Otherwise, you are looking at a big chance of injury and just plain burn out.

Here are some popular plans: Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon, Train Like A Mother, Marathoning For Mortals (Jenny Hadfield), Run Less Run Faster.... I think there are also some on Runnersworld.com for free.

Glad to have you with us!

Hi everyone.

Love the pics in your sig. What an amazing transformation! You should be very proud of yourself! As far as training, I would agree what others have said, find what works for you and stick with it. You are TOTALLY a runner! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Can't wait to see everyone in Feb!

On Sunday (the day following the race - not the greatest move), I did walk/run intervals for 13.2 miles. I was pretty slow - 3:03. For some reason, I still can't wrap my mind around being a runner. I still feel like that 250+ pound person and I keep feeling like I need to "prove" to myself that I can do longer distances.

You ARE a runner and you ARE amazing!!!!!! Don't discount it, girl, you have rocked it!!!!!!!! I frequently hear myself saying "I'm not a real runner" or "I'm just a newbie" or whatever. But in reality, all that we're doing, all we do, and all the plans...we're runners!!! And you are fantastic!!!!

A 10K time of 1:07 is great and should have you in a pretty good corral. Maybe B depending on how crowded the top corrals are.

Oh Princess, I'm soooooo sorry! :hug::hug::hug: It's truly debilitating pain, isn't it? In my ballerina years, I continued to perform on a partially torn Achilles, so believe me, I KNOW how to power through pain... and there is no powering through ITBS pain.

Google is your friend here - there is TONS of good info out there. Foam roller is a must, as are exercises to stretch the muscle groups surrounding the IT band and strengthen the area and core. Squats, lunges, clamshells, yoga, pilates, etc. But here's the critical thing: none of that will help if you do't ID what's causing the problem in the first place. In my case, it seems to be running like a good pedestrian, always facing oncoming traffic... which means I'm always running on FL's steeply slanted roadways, with the slant on my left all the time. A big no-no. Sure enough, my ITBS struck my left leg, the one that's always on the downside of the slant.

What was working for me prior to the TOT was this: taking a few days off for the inflammation in my knee to go down. Doing stretching/strengthening/cross-training on my non-run days. Foam rolling every day, twice a day. On my run days, sticking to flat roads/treadmill and stopping before pain hit. Doing that, I was able to start slowly increasing my mileage. By the TOT, after a couple weeks of my routine, I was able to go 3.5 before pain hit... but then I ran on and off past when pain hit in the race and I'm now back down to less than 2 miles before pain strikes. Dumb move. Do not even try to run through the pain; it's not worth it in the end.

Sending you good wishes for a speedy recovery! The good news is that a friend of mine went through it - so bad that he couldn't even go a mile before it hit him hard - and he followed the rules and is up to marathon distance now. It can be beat! :thumbsup2

I was a dancer too and I feel like I have pushed through so many different kinds of pain that I beat up on myself for getting teary-eyed over this. I'm afraid I might already know what's causing it but don't want to admit it. I think it's my shoes. I love them and they are what got me from a 5K runner to where I am now. So I feel like switching them up might put me back to where I used to be. I wear Vibram Bikilas and in my gut I feel like that's probably what's doing it. I don't know for sure but it wouldn't shock me. I run on my toes (and walk on my toes) and they are such a perfect fit for my natural stride. I know there are other minimalist shoes I can find with a little more to them. I just hate to bail on the shoe that made me love running.

That's dumb, I know...I'm not sentimental about my anniversary or Valentines Day, but I am about my running shoes. LOL!

Feels like I'm starting from scratch here - did 2 miles Sat. as my first "long" run of the training plan. :rotfl: But I did it pain-free, so that's something, right? Baby steps... Seeing the sports med doc Thurs. and hoping he comes up with a magic cure I haven't yet tried for my ITBS. A girl can hope, right?! :wizard:

That *IS* something!!! You'll get there!!! We can kick this thing!!!!!

I was a dancer too and I feel like I have pushed through so many different kinds of pain that I beat up on myself for getting teary-eyed over this. I'm afraid I might already know what's causing it but don't want to admit it. I think it's my shoes. I love them and they are what got me from a 5K runner to where I am now. So I feel like switching them up might put me back to where I used to be. I wear Vibram Bikilas and in my gut I feel like that's probably what's doing it. I don't know for sure but it wouldn't shock me. I run on my toes (and walk on my toes) and they are such a perfect fit for my natural stride. I know there are other minimalist shoes I can find with a little more to them. I just hate to bail on the shoe that made me love running.

That's dumb, I know...I'm not sentimental about my anniversary or Valentines Day, but I am about my running shoes. LOL!

If you think its your shoes. Go to Naperville Running Comp. Its a store. They put you on a treadmill with a video camera on your feet while you run and watch how you run, from there they fit you in shoes. It is an awesome store.

I have no words of advice just lots of these :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:!

I am so sorry you're going through all of this especially all of your careful training. This must be so frustrating - I do hope your doctor will know of a way to relieve your pain and get back into training.

More of these :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Thank you! :goodvibes I think I'm finally at a point of acceptance, but yeah - it's been SOOOO frustrating! At this point I'll be happy if the doc says I'm doing everything right and just to keep doing it, lol!

General public resort codes are coming out. DVC PAP pass deal for tickets. Kind of feels like the stars are aligning.
:thumbsup2 Absolutely!

10K was good-- didn't get a PR in time, but did in pace. The difference was the extra distance I ran weaving in and out of the other racers...
For sure! I think that may be a lesson I'll take away from the TOT: it may have been better to slow down now and again and stick to the tangents than to weave in and out of traffic to maintain speed.

I was a dancer too and I feel like I have pushed through so many different kinds of pain that I beat up on myself for getting teary-eyed over this.
::yes:: Oh yes, I know how that goes! I feel weak if I give in to pain, which may have been okay at 16, but not so much at 41, lol!

FWIW, I think my shoes may be a contributing factor, too. I'd been running in Mizuno Inspires (stability with a big drop between heel and forefoot). I switched to Brooks PureCadence (minimal drop but some stability), and am now trying Brooks PureFlow (minimal drop, neutral stability.) I'm still working on my fact-finding, but so far it really seems like the minimal drop is MUCH better for my mid-foot strike pattern and the Flow aggravates my ITBS less than the stability Cadence. I can feel both the Cadence and older Mizunos push my weight onto the far outside of my feet and can feel a strain from that up my legs. Not so with the Flow. My point being this: I think it's worth looking into shoe options as part of the fix. I'm sorry!

That *IS* something!!! You'll get there!!! We can kick this thing!!!!!
:thumbsup2:cheer2: Absolutely - we can do it! :hug:

Hello,
This is my first half marathon
My name is Carla aka zendisney
My friend Colleen "Sprinkles" thompson is running too
Please add us
Thanks

My dd (15) and I are signed up and ready to go! She is on the high school cross country team and consistently runs 6 miles each day. I, on the other hand, have just started my training. I ran the Princess 1/2 2 years ago and my DD and I were set to run last year until a medical need caused us to cancel. It was heartbreaking but we are going to try it again this year! I am on day 3 of training and will be up to a 5K by the weekend. Glad to be back in the swing of things!

Hey Chicago Ladies,

I decided I won't be doing the Color Run 5K this weekend. Maybe another year. But I will be doing the Perfect 10 10K on Nov 10

We made our reservations today - Riverside for the weekend.

I know this has been talked about but I'm really debating about the "extras". How do people feel about them? My only Disney race experience was the 5K a couple weeks ago during TOT.

I'm thinking about getting both the Race Retreat for me and the Platinum Chear Package for my husband and daughter. I should mention that we're only coming in for a very short weekend - arriving Friday mid afternoon, doing the 5K Saturday morning together, I'm racing Sunday morning, and then we're leaving to drive back within a couple of hours of the race ending. I don't know if that makes a difference or not but that's the only way we can work things as we both teach on the college level.

Has anyone stayed off property for the race weekend? Is it a pain to get everywhere you need to in a timely manner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter