SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

The extra person charge is for persons over 18. We paid an additional $15 per night for our youngest dd who joined us for 2 nights of the trip. Our oldest dd and her husband were in the second room and were not charged for their 2 children.

oops you are right.. sorry

I heard the newer part of the hotel had nicer rooms? Now I am confused. should I request newer part or older(since it is less walking) Does anyone have pics of refurbished room versus an older room?

The rooms in the older section have all been renovated so they are technically newer than the new wing.;)

The rooms in the older section have all been renovated so they are technically newer than the new wing.;)

let me ask this - do the rooms in the older section have the 2 part bathroom? sink / changing room with a door and then then toilet / shower off that?

We like that we can close the door of the sink area and change. I don't remember the older section having that.

We got back on Saturday from our 12 day trek to Florida. We spent 6 nights at SOG and loved it. Our pre-ordered tickets were at the check in desk as promised. We found the entire staff at SOG very helpful and accomodating.
The rooms as stated in other posts are big and comfortable. The room fridges are very small and the 2 in our rooms didnt get very cold. They were fine for cooling bottled water but I didnt trust the temp for milk. The blowdryer in one room worked very well, while the one in my room was not very powerful.
We ate in the buffet for 2 breakfast meals and 3 dinner meals. We found the food good to very good and the service average. We didnt eat in the Italian restaurant. The counter service restaurant by the shuttle had good breakfast sandwiches. We also ate at the Golf Course bar. The burgers were very good.
The pools were nice and adequate. The hot tub small and always crowded. The grounds are beautiful. I wish we had more time to walk the area.
The bus service at SOG was fine. We never waited at the hotel for availability and only waited a short time at the parks for the shuttle to arrive.
We loved our time at SOG.

Thank you Chris for giving us a report on your stay and your thoughts. How much does the buffet cost for meals? I remember someone posted it a long time ago, however I am sure it had gone up since then.

The Golf Course bar must be something new since our last visit. Do they have chicken sandwiches or something in the not at hot dog, burger type of food?

Angel16

Subscribing to this thread. :) I'm a DoD civilian and one of my co-workers just told me this morning that I should be eligible to stay in lodging (we were discussing my stopping for the night in Savannah.) I had no idea, so I didn't even look at SoG. We leave Thursday night to head down. Well, now I know for next time! Of course, it would have been nice if he'd mentioned this when I was planning last year's trip. LOL

U.S. employees of firms under contract to Department of Defense working in the Pacific Region outside the U.S. on Department of Defense Government orders.

Other personnel on official business with Department of Defense as may be specifically authorized by the General Manager or his designee.

ID is DD Form 1173 or 2765

U.S. Department of Defense Civilians and Family Members Current and retired (APF and NAF) Department of Defense (DoD) and Coast Guard (CG) civilian employees. DOD or CG ID card, Retired ID card, or current Leave and Earnings Statement with photo ID required for check-in.

Since Shades is not a Disney resort, does it allow charging privileges to the KTTW card? My dad said he knows the last time we went to Disney, we just charged stuff to our room (this was circa 1985, I know we stayed on property but it wasn't Shades obviously) and he was thinking we could do the same thing this time around. My family will have a room separate from my parents, since Dad's the military member, so I wasn't sure how things worked out. Dad wants to pay for everything, so that's why he wants us to just be able to charge stuff to our room.

At shades you dont get a kttw card. Because it isn't a disney hotel their systems are not linked into shades system..

However on shades property you can charge to your room.

I heard the newer part of the hotel had nicer rooms? Now I am confused. should I request newer part or older(since it is less walking) Does anyone have pics of refurbished room versus an older room?

I'd be interested in this too....anyone stay in the 'old' section since the rooms were renovated ? Any pics, or thoughts would be helpful.:)

I have stayed in the "old section" once since it was renovated and the rooms are pretty much identical. The only difference is the bathroom setup. The old section bathrooms are not divided where the new section bathrooms are.

I have stayed in the "old section" once since it was renovated and the rooms are pretty much identical. The only difference is the bathroom setup. The old section bathrooms are not divided where the new section bathrooms are.

which did you prefer or it doesn't matter? do you have pic of room?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2045518&page=76

Some pics and comments on the renovated rooms. I had to play with the link when I copied and pasted but it did work. (TiggerTails57 post on page 76 of the previous SOG thread)

Appreciate your help. Thanks a bunch !:flower3:

I prefer the new section. But only because of the bathroom setup since DH spends half his life in the bathroom. This way I can still use the sinks and mirrors without having to wait an hour. :rotfl2:

I don't have any pics of the old rooms, but here are a few of the new rooms as well as out and about the hotel.

aIMGP1318.jpg

aIMGP1320.jpg

aIMGP1314.jpg

aIMGP1844.jpg

IMGP6263.jpg

IMGP5097.jpg

IMGP5095.jpg

IMGP5083.jpg

IMGP5099.jpg

IMGP5098.jpg

Jusero, you said in pp that you prefer the new section. My mind is all messed up I think. Is your favorite room area in a new section? I thought it was over near the buses, front and pool? Am I totally confused?

Angel16

Hi everybody! So glad to find this thread! We stayed at Shades back in 1999 but haven't been back since (DH was active duty back then) Now we are taking advantage of the "Salute the Veterans" program in September. I have a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind answering....

1) Since we are just veterans now, when we use the gift shop, etc. we don't have any kind of military ID except for DH's DD214, so does that suffice? That is what is needed for check-in for us.

2) Could someone please clarify what is "new" rooms, "old" rooms, magnolia, Palm, etc?? LOL. I am so confused. Is there some kind of resort map that can show this for me? I am just curious to see where the best place would be for us to maybe request. Its just me and my DH (both 30's) no kids.

Thanks everyone!!!

Jusero, you said in pp that you prefer the new section. My mind is all messed up I think. Is your favorite room area in a new section? I thought it was over near the buses, front and pool? Am I totally confused?

My fave rooms are in the new section ... 2102 or that area. And, after this year's stay, I now like the 3101 area too. These rooms are right across that little brdige/hallway over near the Mickey statue.

Hi everybody! So glad to find this thread! We stayed at Shades back in 1999 but haven't been back since (DH was active duty back then) Now we are taking advantage of the "Salute the Veterans" program in September. I have a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind answering....

1) Since we are just veterans now, when we use the gift shop, etc. we don't have any kind of military ID except for DH's DD214, so does that suffice? That is what is needed for check-in for us.

2) Could someone please clarify what is "new" rooms, "old" rooms, magnolia, Palm, etc?? LOL. I am so confused. Is there some kind of resort map that can show this for me? I am just curious to see where the best place would be for us to maybe request. Its just me and my DH (both 30's) no kids.

Thanks everyone!!!

I am so excited for you on your upcoming trip. You will LOVE Shades. It has only gotten bigger and better over the years. I would think all you would need at the shoppette is the DD214 since that's what you need to check in. As for the "new" "old" thing, it just refers to the new section or wing of the hotel vs the original. They added hundreds of new rooms in the new section. And there really is no difference except for the layout of the bathrooms (old has everything in one room while the new has the toilet/shower in one "room" and the sinks separated into a second "room") ... and the fact that if you get some rooms in the new section, it can be quite a walk. I would recommend asking for the 2101 area. These rooms are very close to the lobby and are quiet since they overlook the ponds and not the pools. I have a map of the hotel and will look for it to post here. You can see the area I like to stay in near the big number 15 on this map. Not the one that is circle, though.

SOGmap2009.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter