• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

I think I would just spend the $20 to grab a cab at 7:30 instead of being at the Poly bus stop at 7:00. Just my 2 cents.

Mary - that is a great idea... Sometimes I only think in "bus schedule mode" LOL... I have never taken a taxi before... Is there a list somewhere (that you know of) that gives the general prices for trips from resort to resort? Thanks a million! :thumbsup2

D~

I'm booked for shades for Christmas! So excited. Between a friend and I, we have the night of the 24th, 25th, and 27th. We are waiting for an opening on the 26th. So stoked to be able to be spending the holidays here since it is the first year our guys will be gone for Christmas! Can't wait!

Does shades do a lot of decorating for Christmas?

I'm booked for shades for Christmas! So excited. Between a friend and I, we have the night of the 24th, 25th, and 27th. We are waiting for an opening on the 26th. So stoked to be able to be spending the holidays here since it is the first year our guys will be gone for Christmas! Can't wait!

Yes! Giant tree & lots of pretty decoration. The drive is lined with toy soldier lights. We were there mid Dec last year and twice during the week they have cookies, hot chocolate & egg nog with music. If you have kids, they had Santa visits and they could decorate gingerbread houses.

Mary - that is a great idea... Sometimes I only think in "bus schedule mode" LOL... I have never taken a taxi before... Is there a list somewhere (that you know of) that gives the general prices for trips from resort to resort? Thanks a million! :thumbsup2

D~
Ed and I have taken cabs all over WDW and it's never more than $22 or $23 including tip. Honestly, right at $20 is average.

I have a question about magic bands, salute tickets and fastpass booking: We are staying at BC and will get magic bands for the first time. We purchased salute tickets from the Pentagon and DH is picking them up today. We EACH got two tickets, one with PH and one with PH/WPFM. So 8 days total. Here is the actual question:

Can I load each band with two tickets and then make all 8 days of FP+ ressies at 60 days before our arrival? I've never had a magic band before so I'm not sure how this would work.

Also, (although this isn't the case this trip, if often is) if we have one set with PH and one without, is there anyway to designate which set the days' admission comes from? For instance, on Monday we will go to MK in the am and DHS in the PM so will need to PH, but on Tuesday we will only go to Epcot so don't want to use a PH. Anyone know how that works, would we just have to keep one set off the Magic band and use the actual card on those days?

I just got a survey asking about how I would feel if they got rid of bathtubs when they do their next renno. I think this is the worst idea ever. Lots of families with little kids who need a tub. Also lots of 40-something women who want to soak their sore feet and legs after walking 15 miles all day (LOL)! I think maybe changing 1/3 or 1/5 to shower only would be ok, but if they had no tubs when my kids were smaller, that would totally have pushed me to stay elsewhere...

I just got a survey asking about how I would feel if they got rid of bathtubs when they do their next renno. I think this is the worst idea ever. Lots of families with little kids who need a tub. Also lots of 40-something women who want to soak their sore feet and legs after walking 15 miles all day (LOL)! I think maybe changing 1/3 or 1/5 to shower only would be ok, but if they had no tubs when my kids were smaller, that would totally have pushed me to stay elsewhere...
My kids are grown now and I wish sometimes that hotels, not just SOG, would have some rooms with walk in showers, not handicap, just regular walk in ones. I'm at that age that I don't need handicap bars but stepping over the side of a tub to get in a shower can be a little hazardous.

I wouldn't mind a shower at all. I would never take a bath in a hotel anyway, for some reason that seems really icky to me. And I started taking my son in the shower about as soon as he started standing up. We had a cruise planned for when he was 14 months, so I needed to get him used to it. At 18 months he loves taking showers.

I'd love one with a shower. We had one of those nice big walk in showers at the Contemporary and boy what I'd give to have that everywhere!

My kids are grown now and I wish sometimes that hotels, not just SOG, would have some rooms with walk in showers, not handicap, just regular walk in ones. I'm at that age that I don't need handicap bars but stepping over the side of a tub to get in a shower can be a little hazardous.

I wouldn't mind a shower at all. I would never take a bath in a hotel anyway, for some reason that seems really icky to me. And I started taking my son in the shower about as soon as he started standing up. We had a cruise planned for when he was 14 months, so I needed to get him used to it. At 18 months he loves taking showers.

I'd love one with a shower. We had one of those nice big walk in showers at the Contemporary and boy what I'd give to have that everywhere!

A lot of hotels are removing the bathtubs and only having showers or a very shallow bathtub/shower when they remodel. I have mixed feelings on this. While I like the shower for myself, my kids always took baths on trips when they were younger. Only now is my almost 9 year old starting to take showers at home. And there are many people who like to either take a bath or just fill the tub to soak their legs/feet after a long day. My mom needed to soak her legs and feet on our trip last year.

We are currently booked at SOG 12/26 - 1/2. I was originally hoping we could drive straight through on the 26th but I think we will be dropping the 26th and stopping to spend the night on the way. We are going down next week to Orlando for our summer trip and will make the decision depending on how our drive goes. If we cancel the 26th I will let you know before so hopefully you can get it.

This will be our first time staying at SOG. I am a little sad that we will not be at a Disney resort but the pictures all look great and the room size will be welcome for our family of 5. With going this summer the only way we can afford to go in December is to stay at SOG. Since staying at SOG will allow me a second trip this year I am not complaining and looking forward to the experience.

So I just talked to the other member's in the party. And they caved and we will be sticking with this reservation.

I also was able to convince them to fly instead of drive.

We are currently booked at SOG 12/26 - 1/2. I was originally hoping we could drive straight through on the 26th but I think we will be dropping the 26th and stopping to spend the night on the way. We are going down next week to Orlando for our summer trip and will make the decision depending on how our drive goes. If we cancel the 26th I will let you know before so hopefully you can get it.

This will be our first time staying at SOG. I am a little sad that we will not be at a Disney resort but the pictures all look great and the room size will be welcome for our family of 5. With going this summer the only way we can afford to go in December is to stay at SOG. Since staying at SOG will allow me a second trip this year I am not complaining and looking forward to the experience.

Thank you so much, I'd love a heads up if you cancel that night! I am sad too we won't be at a Disney resort but the cost savings will be worth it. We plan to eat meals at a lot of resorts to go see them!

What is the easiest way to get from the airport to SOG? Is there a bus or towncar?

You can take a Mears shuttle which is probably the cheapest way to go if you are by yourself. Once you have a couple/three people, then it becomes cheaper to either towncar (there are several that I've used, they are all pretty much the same) Or if you are going in low season, you may save money renting and driving yourself. I can often get a car in Sept on hotwire or priceline for <20/day. You have to take the parking fee into account, but If you are there for a week it may still be cheaper (don't forget to add in the tip for the towncar driver!) I just looked and rentals for the second week in Sept are 10 for a compact, 13 for a full size! For a family of four you won't find a way to get there and back for less than $155 for the week (compact plus 5 dollar a day parking) plus you have the added convenience of a car to hit the store, go to DTD (those buses suck) or to a hotel for dinner.

If you are 100% disabled but also qualify for a 2nd rate category, you will now be allowed to get the LOWEST rate, not the highest.

What documentation do we need for 100% disabled? DH is 100% VA disability. I booked a room for November and didn't even realize that this was eligible for Catagory II. Guess I need to call and change our catagory!

I'm trying to do the same thing, we are going in September and staying at GF but we were going to go back in December for a short Christmas trip, however online SOG is showing no availability for two of the days we need, so I'm not sure if it'll happen or not.

Sorry if this has been answered, but I've searched and cannot find anything. Can you link SOG reservations to MDE in order to make dining reservations at 180 +10 days? Or do you just need to call everyday to make reservations at 180 days out? TIA

Reservations aren't linked to hotel stay (even Disney hotel stays). You can make the reservations on MDE at 180 days out. If you stay at a Disney resort you can make all reservations for your stay (up to 10 days?) at the 180 day mark for your first day. If you are staying elsewhere, like SOG, you can make each day's ADRs at 180 days out. So you make your day one reservations at 180 days, then the next day make reservations for your second day, etc. Not as easy as if staying at a Disney resort, but it works. If you don't get everything you want, keep looking. Especially look at the 45 day point, which is when Disney Packages have to be paid off. People may drop reservations and the ADR's along with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter