• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Don't know if anyone else saw this but the room category rate for E6 is changing from cat 2 to cat 1.

Starting 1 June 2015:
  • Category 1 – E-1 thru E-6 and Cadets
  • Category 2 – E-7 thru E-9, O-1 thru O-3, WO-1 to CW-3
  • Category 3 – O-4 thru O-10, CW-4, CW-5
old categories were
  • Category 1 – E-1 thru E-5 and Cadets
  • Category 2 – E-6 thru E-9, O-1 thru O-3, WO-1 to CW-3
  • Category 3 – O-4 thru O-10, CW-4, CW-5

Does anyone know when the promotions come out for the late August, early Fall discounts? If you are already booked, will they apply them to your booking after they come out? Also, I saw a post on car rentals saying you could leave the car in the hotel garaage. Can you pick up a car at the airport and then leave it there, and do the reverse for the trip back to the airport?

We are planning to stay at SOG in October. I saw on the website today that they have a promotion of up to 30% off rooms at SOG with free breakfast. I don't see the discount when I try to book online though. I don't see a code to enter either. Do I have to call to get the promotional price?

It has been my experience that calling SOG is much better than trying to make online reservations.

Just booked via phone the Fall Back and save promotion. i first attempted to
Make our registration on line, but the discount did not show up. I then called and was sucessful.
Looking forward to our 3 rd stay at SOG

I just booked my first stay at SOG! We took advantage of the fall offer and are staying 9 lovely nights! It will be the hubs, myself and our two grandkids, 5 and 7 yrs. Our Daughter and her family are joining us for 5 nights,(I booked two rooms) they are not military and have a 3 and 1 yr old. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.
first, DD and her family are not military, will they be able to move about the resort and shop, eat etc without us. I am thinking they will just have to show a room key, is that correct?
Secondly, can anyone tell me about the Princess and Pirate Makeovers? I am wondering how far in advance do I need to book? Can anyone give me a ballpark for pricing?

Thanks for the help.

I just booked my first stay at SOG! We took advantage of the fall offer and are staying 9 lovely nights! It will be the hubs, myself and our two grandkids, 5 and 7 yrs. Our Daughter and her family are joining us for 5 nights,(I booked two rooms) they are not military and have a 3 and 1 yr old. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.
first, DD and her family are not military, will they be able to move about the resort and shop, eat etc without us. I am thinking they will just have to show a room key, is that correct?
Secondly, can anyone tell me about the Princess and Pirate Makeovers? I am wondering how far in advance do I need to book? Can anyone give me a ballpark for pricing?

Thanks for the help.

They should be able to eat and shop without you with their room key and resort ID. I am not sure about exchange shopping privileges since we only walked through it. In the past I've shown my ID but that was more habit than being asked.

I think this should answer most of your questions about make overs:

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/PrincessPirate.pdf

The price "might" have gone up $5.

Hope this helps!

Liz

RMA Mom you will enjoy the spacious rooms and lovely grounds. This Sept will be our 3rd stay. Good value and easy bus shuttle to parks.

We have been asked for a military ID at the AAFES. Not every time, but we have. The only reason we've gotten our DD an ID is to use at Shades.

I have a question and there seems to be conflicting information on the SOG site. My father is a retired Marine Master Sergant and we have a large family. 6 Children for my parents, each married (14 adults) and 13 grand kids. My parents want to do a 50th anniversy trip and Dad wants to utilize SOG. I can't tell if the max he can book is 6 rooms or 3. In one spot it says 3 rooms in another it says 3 rooms during Christmas but 6 at other times. Also, would anyone know if this many people (27) would count as a group?

I have a question and there seems to be conflicting information on the SOG site. My father is a retired Marine Master Sergant and we have a large family. 6 Children for my parents, each married (14 adults) and 13 grand kids. My parents want to do a 50th anniversy trip and Dad wants to utilize SOG. I can't tell if the max he can book is 6 rooms or 3. In one spot it says 3 rooms in another it says 3 rooms during Christmas but 6 at other times. Also, would anyone know if this many people (27) would count as a group?

I think you are referring to sponsoring non military for their stay. Each military member (the person who actually served) is allowed to sponsor (reserve) 3 rooms at any time. The spouse of the military member is also allowed to sponsor (reserve) 3 rooms except during Christmas when it is restricted to 3 rooms per military member. The military sponsor must be a Shades guest, be there at check in and accept responsibility for the behavior of their guests. The sponsor must also accompany guests who wish to purchase attraction tickets at Shades. I think your guests also have to check out the same day as you. You do not HAVE to pay for your sponsored guest. They can pay for their own rooms.

Our son sponsored his friend and family last October. This was how it worked unless something has changed.

Best bet is have your father give Shades a call to set things up. Phone reservations work so much better than online at Shades imo.

You will love the resort! Good luck planning for that many though :)

Hope this helps!

Liz

I think you are referring to sponsoring non military for their stay. Each military member (the person who actually served) is allowed to sponsor (reserve) 3 rooms at any time. The spouse of the military member is also allowed to sponsor (reserve) 3 rooms except during Christmas when it is restricted to 3 rooms per military member. The military sponsor must be a Shades guest, be there at check in and accept responsibility for the behavior of their guests. The sponsor must also accompany guests who wish to purchase attraction tickets at Shades. I think your guests also have to check out the same day as you. You do not HAVE to pay for your sponsored guest. They can pay for their own rooms.

Our son sponsored his friend and family last October. This was how it worked unless something has changed.

Best bet is have your father give Shades a call to set things up. Phone reservations work so much better than online at Shades imo.

You will love the resort! Good luck planning for that many though :)

Hope this helps!

Liz
Thanks Liz!! And you are correct about trying to plan this! I am viewed as the family WDW expert as I am the only one who has gone. Dad and mom stay almost exclusively at Hostess Houses when traveling, and they view SOG as an off shoot of those. Since leaving the Corps, Dad has worked exclusively with Vets and will gravitate back to anything military when given the chance. Which is a great thing. He entered the Corps as a high school dropout and walked out with a 2 Masters degrees. He was offered E-9 to stay in, but with 6 kids to put through college, he just could not do it. So if we can make this work, it will be well worth it!!

We just booked one night in Dec. We're cruising from Tampa. The track record for ships being delayed coming into Tampa made us concerned we couldn't make our Auto Train the same day so we thought we'd stay at SOG again. It'll be hard to only stay one night and not do any parks, but we'll persevere. This will be the first time we're sponsoring someone too. The last time we stayed was in Nov 2013.

Are they selling Magic Bands now at Shades of Green? I see that you can buy them around downtown Disney and other resorts but I wasn't sure if it was here yet.

Are they selling Magic Bands now at Shades of Green? I see that you can buy them around downtown Disney and other resorts but I wasn't sure if it was here yet.

Shades of Green doesn't participate in Magic Bands. So I doubt they would sell them.

What are the fall discounts that folks are getting? I saw fall back and save September, but nothing for October. Also does anyone know what might be going on in Disney World that would cause SOG to be sold out for Sept 28, 29th? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter