• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Line for Bag check

I have to tell you, we were in this same line at AK today at 8:30 this morning. We were only about six families from the front of the bag check line. The cm checking our bag was the most thorough bag checker ever. I looked around and all the bag checkers were really taking their time and going through bags like I've never seen.

I wonder if something recently happened to prompt such thorough bag checks?
The thought did occur to me too. I wondered if they were on the lookout for something specific. When I got to the front, the security officer checked one bag for a guy that had two ... Then he moved over and another security guard came over and the first one said to the second one "here - you finish him off". I thought "that might not be the best way to phrase that"....

Indeed. That's why they call it "concealed carry."
Years ago, after 9/11, we went to the county library one winter night. They had started doing bag checks. My wife was fine with having her back checked but was annoyed because I was wearing a big, bulky, down jacket with multiple pockets and I strolled right through. It would have been a lot easier for me to sneak something in than for her to in her little purse.

Took about 10 minutes - which feels like an hour in August time...

So, even with the picture and all those people, it took ten minutes. While I realize that people have plans and dreams, what if that bag check didn't happen and someone went through with a weapon? Yes, I realize someone could in a pocket of a jacket but those bag checks aren't there for show, they are there to deter people.

I don't think it was heightened security - just normal security with a heightened crowd getting in.

Last night at Hollywood Studios they had the bag checks right in front of the turnstiles (had closed the normal bag check area). Line was huge to get through because of it.

Bag check at the theme parks is even more a useless piece of theater than the TSA. I don't know why they even bother.
I don't know. I often think the same thing, but then I hear the security folks talking about how things like bag checks really aren't about checking bags but about taking a few seconds to scan each person and look for suspicious behavior. I'm not sure what to believe. Bottom line, though, is I don't mind a minor inconvenience if it has even a slight chance of preventing a crime from happening.

During our June 2013 trip we saw lines like that at every park even 20-30 minutes before rope drop. I was very happy that we were going to the parks bag free that trip. While we were waiting in line at EP for rope drop, the family in front of us was waiting for their adult daughter to get through the massive bag check line. It took her 20 minutes to get through it.

Years ago, after 9/11, we went to the county library one winter night. They had started doing bag checks. My wife was fine with having her back checked but was annoyed because I was wearing a big, bulky, down jacket with multiple pockets and I strolled right through. It would have been a lot easier for me to sneak something in than for her to in her little purse.

Several years ago when I still carried a small crossbody bag full of stuff we never used to the parks, I got detained and questioned in the bag check line at EP for having a clothespin in my bag. Apparently you can use them to detonate a bomb (who knew????). Meanwhile, my husband went through the "no bag" line with the kids and *he* had a pocket knife in his pocket (he forgot to leave it in the room -- he didn't mean to bring it with him.). He just kept looking at me wondering what was taking so long -- he could tell I wasn't just having a friendly conversation with the bag check attendants. I just wanted to look at the power hungry bag check guy and say, "That guy standing over there has a KNIFE in his pocket and you're standing here questioning me about a clothespin??????"

and *he* had a pocket knife in his pocket (he forgot to leave it in the room -
I always carry a pocketknife. The only times I don't are going through airports and federal buildings. Otherwise it's always in my pocket, including at Disney World.

I have to tell you, we were in this same line at AK today at 8:30 this morning. We were only about six families from the front of the bag check line. The cm checking our bag was the most thorough bag checker ever. I looked around and all the bag checkers were really taking their time and going through bags like I've never seen.

I wonder if something recently happened to prompt such thorough bag checks?

We were also in that line at AK at 8:30 this morning and noticed the same thing. We have been here for a week and bag check this morning was by far the slowest moving one we've been through this year. First I thought we were just in a line with a particularly slow, chatty checker. But then they switched cm's a couple of people in front of me, and the new one seemed even more thorough and chatty. It really did occur to me at the time that it could be deliberate. He was politely making conversation but really seemed to be stalling at each guest. I didn't mind or anything, but it seemed like a change from previous days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter