The Ingredients for Pixie Dust, a June 2010 TR - 10/2 DIsney Halloween PTR started!

This morning, our third day in Disney, we were headed to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

summer2010122.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with DHS. I mean, I like it. I would probably like it more if there were a few more attractions. I suspect that there will be more coming now that Disney had Marvel comics, but for now, it is the park we spend the least amount of time in. I am hopeful that as the guys get older this will change.

This morning started the same as the day before. I knew if we were late it would be more of a challenge, but we were all on vacation together, and after four trips this year, if we didn’t get to ride TSM more than TWICE that day, well, that would be okay. So this morning, both DH and I hit the gym… guilt factor with all the fantastic eating I was doing!!! Not that it helps!! :laughing: The boys got their breakfast again, and we popped into the car and drove over to DHS. As I figured, when we got into the park, the FP line for TSM was already showing a 1pm return time :eek: So we got our FPs anyhow, DH and DS8 headed for RNRC and DS5 single rider, and I went to look at the situation for the Jedi Training Academy.

For those of you familiar with this show, they made changes to the program sometime this past fall. I understand the reasons, but since they have changed the structure for "choosing" the kids who participate (in essence removing the selection process) you now have to wait in line to be in the show. I am sure this is fair, and more equitable than in the past -- especially if your kid was not selected to do the show, and kids who hadn’t waited as long were picked instead, etc., but the CM said the line was really for the show following the next show (so two hours LATER :scared1:) and you couldn’t put your name in and come back, you had to stand in the queue (which was thankfully in the shade near where they have Drew Cary’s Sound Stage). I am willing to stand in line with the best for the right reason. This set up just seemed so terribly wrong, though, that I couldn’t see it working for us. Let alone my DS5 who I KNEW would not tolerate that line or heat for that long… I wish they would come up with a better system. :sad2: At any rate, he didn’t seem too upset, he wanted to watch the show, so we did, and then we went to the Writer’s Stop for a carrot cake cookie -- SLICE of heaven with cream cheese filling!!! We then headed to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. That worked well as always! I grabbed a few pics there, but mostly just let him run around and checked my phone for updates and email, etc.

summer2010112.jpg

summer2010111.jpg

We were there for a bit, waiting for the other two. They arrived, they both played a little longer, then we then back tracked to the Writer's Stop -- DH wanted a frozen mocha!
Walking along the Streets of America, I don't remember these "fountains" from last summer. Too cute.

summer2010113.jpg

with our frozen drink, we continued around the corner to Star Tours. After Star Tours we checked out the gift shop, Tatooine Traders! Gee, Boba you have gotten short... We promised the boys we would be back to explore that evening...

summer2010115.jpg

We watched the end of another Jedi Training Academy, I just love the end with the storm troopers!! :laughing: "Hello", and ready to get out of the heat we walked over towards Sci Fi Drive-in to check in for lunch. We had a few mintues, so DH went to get another set of FPs. TS ended up already out of FPs but RNRC he could get. So with two sets of FPs, we headed to lunch.

We had never eaten at Sci Fi. The past two trips we had lunch at 50s Prime Time, and really enjoyed it. This time we thought we would try something new. We had a great experience at Sci Fi Drive-in. Both boys ordered cheese burgers, and DH and I split a Rueben and Onion Rings. I grabbed a few photos while we were there. The space for this restaurant was really neat. It was quiet in there! So different from most Disney dining experiences! The food seems always to be hit or miss from what I have read, but we were fine with our lunch. The kids ate all theirs, and the onion rings were good! YUMMO! Here are my pics -- I didn't want to use the flash because of the darkness of the space, and only did on the one of the boys.

summer2010118.jpg

summer2010119.jpg

summer2010120.jpg

summer2010121.jpg

Filled up we headed back outside. We started walking towards the main entrance again, thought to see the Indiana Jones show, but the next showing was still 30 minutes away. We didn’t want to try Tower of Terror and I think we were all feeling the heat at this point, so DH suggested that we just head to the pool instead, and come back after dinner that evening. Given that it was really hot this day, his suggestion proved to be wise. As we were leaving these characters pulled up, so we stuck around to watch their skits -- it is always fun watching the entertainment at DHS!!!

summer2010124.jpg

After some laughs, we headed back to BLT, and this time we decided to go over and check out The Contemporary’s main pool. We were very excited for that. Again, a Tangerine Dream was in order, and we relaxed for a few hours.

kidsandstuff046.jpg

kidsandstuff047.jpg

We went back to the room and I went over to The Contemporary shops, to browse... I took a few photos here and there....

Hidden Mickey Carpeting!
summer2010125.jpg

Our Studio!

summer2010126.jpg

A few as I was heading over to The Contemporary...

summer2010127.jpg

summer2010128.jpg

This photo from the walkway across, as I was coming back. I made a few purchases, then headed back to the room. This was our next destination.

summer2010130.jpg

We had dinner scheduled earlier this evening, at the Whispering Canyon Café. I was ready for BBQ! Because the Wilderness Lodge is boat accessible from the Contemporary, we headed to the dock and took a boat ride over!

summer2010131.jpg

summer2010132.jpg

The weather was lovely, sun was out again, it had been a little overcast earlier in the morning, but now on the boat with the breeze it was perfect!

summer2010133.jpg

We arrived at WCC, checked in, and were seated almost immediately.

Coming UP Next!! Dinner and DHS! Round 2!!!

Wow what an awesome first day!

Awww how cute that your boys both fell asleep at dinner....that sounds like an awesome restaurant!

Looking forward to hearing more:thumbsup2

I am behind!!! What a GREAT evening you had with your dionner at Narcoosee's, I LOVE it there! Boys sleeping...BONUS! What a great way to spend the evening! So sorry you missed seeing Laura in person! Glad you were able to get the Electrical parade and fireworks in! Loving all of your BLT and Contemporary pics. I really enjoyed our stay there and would love to go again! Your DHS morning seemed great too..it was HOT!! Glad you liked Sci Fi, I think it is the perfect place to escape the heat and relax!!! Can't wait to try a tangerine dream next time, sounds yummy!!:thumbsup2

Great update!
I agree about the Jedi Training Academy. My older nephew would never want to wait that long on line. And the 2 year old doesn't know Star Wars just yet ;)

I love the fire hydrant fountain. It is SO very NYC.
I wish I had a carrot cake cookie for dessert tonight. Definitely heading to the Writer's Stop next month.

Sci-Fi looks like so much fun! It must be so nice to eat in quiet for just one meal.

Can't wait to read about your experience at WCC.

I just looked at our ADR list and we have lunch at Sci-Fi scheduled on the same day as our WCC dinner. Great minds :rotfl:

I wonder if the TSM craze will ever die down, or if it will always be necessary to get there before rope drop and rush to grab FPs to avoid a late afternoon return or worse no return at all!

Sci-Fi lunch is a tradition for us, love the atmosphere in there and it's so nice to get out of the heat for a bit and sit in some AC :thumbsup2

So much to comment on - what a fabulous day!

I'm afraid my boys are in the same boat as yours where IASW is concerned, they absolutely refuse to ride! I say take advantage of them wanting to ride Fantasyland rides as long as you can :thumbsup2

You know my older boy finally admitted that he didn't mind it but he said it was too loud! I had to laugh, okay the music is too loud, but the sounds on some of the roller coasters is NOT!!! BTMRR?? I have to cover my ears! :laughing:

They do seem to like the others, Peter, the Tea Cups, even the barnstormer still... They love the carousel.:goodvibes

Wow! Crystal Palace looks almost empty! I may need to give that brunch thing a try.....

You know it just works for us. We tried Chef Mickey's last October because I just happened to get an ADR for an 8:15 ressie there. I was so thrilled thinking I should try it since it even appeared, and after the experience, we both agreed that no one was really ready to eat that much breakfast that early. We get our money's worth (especially for the kids!) if it is a later time :laughing:. It is practically empty, maybe four or five tables on our side of the restaurant at that point. And there was plenty of food. They open for lunch at 11:30, so they take their last time slot at 10:25 I believe. That has worked for us everytime. DS's still could do the round the restaurant march, etc.

Perfect afternoon hanging by the pool - almost a necessity in that hot Florida sunshine!

The views from the BLT rooftop are amazing :cloud9:

How great that you guys lucked out and were able to enjoy a nice dinner basically alone! And you still made it over to the MK for the parade and fireworks :yay:

Oh yes, the pool time was a requirement. DH really insists on it, and for the right reason. I can go go go, but that heat even gets to me. That is why I was out at night after bed time!!! ;)

The views were very cool. We watched the fireworks from there one night, too. AND yes, we lucked out at Narcoossee's! I know I felt like such a bad mommy, but it was good that they got some rest. We had a nice extra few hours in the park as a result! They chowed down there!

What a great stroke of luck during dinner!!! Must have been so nice to have some time to yourselves to enjoy that wine! And really like the sound of that raspberry stuff! My favourite when we are over is from the Outback. Its called Wallaby Darned and it a slushie type peach cocktail. Delicious - especially when they are in happy hour (2 for the price of 1)!!!!!!!

Sounds like a perfect day - and although you did have cloudy skies I was so glad it stayed dry.

Hmmmm.... I don't go to Outback Steakhouse too often, but that drink sounds like a bellini! Yum! The Raspberry cocktail had a funny name, I will see if I can find it. It had muddled raspberries in it, really tasty! :thumbsup2 We did enjoy dinner, unexpectedly alone!

We were fortunate. It "misted" for maybe a few minutes, but it didn't rain. I was expecting it to, but we did luck out for sure.

Day 2 - your day sounded perfect and a lovely meal had before spending a good evening at MK with your boys :thumbsup2 Loved the idea of your poolside drinks and lounge at the top of BLT. You never know maybe I will have some pixie dust too and enjoy a glass of wine with our meal one evening :goodvibes

ugh on the wait for Jedi! that's brutal. I have a feeling I'll be hitting the guym this trip, we are just gone for too long not too but then of course that means I need to make room in my suitcase for tennis shoes.

:rotfl:

I enjoy Sci Fi for lunch. Not my kind of menu for dinner but for lunch and to escape the heat, perfect!

I don't know if it's just the pics but the BLT pool looks cooler than the main Contemporary pool, which one did you like better?

Wow what an awesome first day!

Awww how cute that your boys both fell asleep at dinner....that sounds like an awesome restaurant!

Looking forward to hearing more:thumbsup2

Narcoossee's is right up there with Cali Grill in my book! We really enjoyed it!

I am behind!!! What a GREAT evening you had with your dinner at Narcoosee's, I LOVE it there! Boys sleeping...BONUS! What a great way to spend the evening!

Oh you know it was a great evening... LOL! :laughing: I actually could have a conversation with my husband! WOW! It was a pleasant surprise, but of course we really were grateful they took a nap, because we had a great rest of our evening as a result!

So sorry you missed seeing Laura in person! Glad you were able to get the Electrical parade and fireworks in! Loving all of your BLT and Contemporary pics. I really enjoyed our stay there and would love to go again!

It was a drag missing here -- we only had one day and a 1/2 day to try and make it work, but I liked chatting with her just the same! :goodvibes The weather did hold out, I know that was NOT the case just a few nights before! :scared1: AND truly, BLT rocks. I was soooo loving it. Can't wait to try the 1 bedroom some time.

Your DHS morning seemed great too..it was HOT!! Glad you liked Sci Fi, I think it is the perfect place to escape the heat and relax!!! Can't wait to try a tangerine dream next time, sounds yummy!!:thumbsup2

It was a really hot morning that day, not sure why. But the pool took care of that, and our evening back at DHS was great as a result! Oh, TOTALLY try that drink next time! VERY tasty... :rolleyes1

Great update!
I agree about the Jedi Training Academy. My older nephew would never want to wait that long on line. And the 2 year old doesn't know Star Wars just yet ;)

THANKS!!
Yeah, I know. I wish they would come up with a better plan...

I love the fire hydrant fountain. It is SO very NYC.
I wish I had a carrot cake cookie for dessert tonight. Definitely heading to the Writer's Stop next month.

Oh try one! Just eat it right away in the heat. We didn't finish all of it, and the rest was just yuck because of the cream cheese frosting... not quite melted zebradome "yuck" but not good... :laughing:

Sci-Fi looks like so much fun! It must be so nice to eat in quiet for just one meal.

Can't wait to read about your experience at WCC.

I just looked at our ADR list and we have lunch at Sci-Fi scheduled on the same day as our WCC dinner. Great minds :rotfl:

That IS funny! Well, it worked for us! We didn't eat a big meal b/c we wanted to save room for the skillet at WCC. Very relaxing atmosphere -- the movie clips were funny!

I wonder if the TSM craze will ever die down, or if it will always be necessary to get there before rope drop and rush to grab FPs to avoid a late afternoon return or worse no return at all!

Sci-Fi lunch is a tradition for us, love the atmosphere in there and it's so nice to get out of the heat for a bit and sit in some AC :thumbsup2

I agree! It is strange, but that seems to be the only way to really do DHS if you want to get on TSM! Sci-FI was great fun, and we really liked it!!! ;)

I don't blame you for not waiting in that line for Jedi Academy. Ick.

I can't wait to hear about WCC! I want to eat there someday. :yay:

ugh on the wait for Jedi! that's brutal. I have a feeling I'll be hitting the guym this trip, we are just gone for too long not too but then of course that means I need to make room in my suitcase for tennis shoes.

:rotfl:

I enjoy Sci Fi for lunch. Not my kind of menu for dinner but for lunch and to escape the heat, perfect!

I don't know if it's just the pics but the BLT pool looks cooler than the main Contemporary pool, which one did you like better?

Oh I felt your pain with the shoes.... my whole family. TOTAL shoe hogs. I brought shoes for my work part of the trip (dressy summer slides/wedges) as well as all my park flops and pool flops, and chucks (which I didn't wear) and Sneakers... So yeah, we had a whole duffle with shoes for both DH and I. Boys brought four pair each too... We are a shoe family. :laughing:

I had heard much that the menu is pretty much a basic lunch fare, and that was fine for us, we really wanted to try it for that reason. We split something and really it was to get the kids a good lunch, since we had an extra TS for them. The BLT pool is much more "modern" in its style -- but this is because it is newer. The Contemporary pool is like the Contemporary itself. Retro-ish. I didn't take many photos. From other pics you would probably get a better idea. It has a really neat new kid splash area, and it has a quiet pool right on the edge of the lake, the main pool is pretty basic, the slide bigger. My kids really liked the splash zone at the Contemporary, but were more active on the mini slide and bigger slide at BLT. As an adult, I liked The Contemporary pool area better, better view, more open.

With the Jedi training, it would have to be a huge "must" for my kids for me to stand in that line. We lucked out that DS8 was chosen last October before they changed the practice. But if more families get to and are fine with the format, then it works out alright in the end I am sure.

Day 2 - your day sounded perfect and a lovely meal had before spending a good evening at MK with your boys :thumbsup2 Loved the idea of your poolside drinks and lounge at the top of BLT. You never know maybe I will have some pixie dust too and enjoy a glass of wine with our meal one evening :goodvibes

I hope you get to!!!! It was a lovely day. :goodvibes

I don't blame you for not waiting in that line for Jedi Academy. Ick.

I can't wait to hear about WCC! I want to eat there someday. :yay:

WCC, really enjoy it! I will share all about it tomorrow, maybe tonight, we'll see! We loved it last summer! We were excited to go back! Great selection and great milkshakes!!! :thumbsup2

Looks like a fun morning at DHS! I'm not entirely in love w/ that park either. Although I do :lovestruc the Brown Derby!

I'm not sure what to think about the Jedi Academy changes. I had heard there were lots of complaints that "my kid was disappointed b/c she/he wasn't picked." But I also think that's part of life, right? I don't know. But if there is a way to satisfy more people then I suppose that is the way to go! :thumbsup2 I just pray I never have a kid who "needs" to stand in that line. ;)

Great pics in Sci Fi. I agree it's a great place for lunch. We just had awful service there last year... that was the problem. But burgers and fries-- YUM.

You have me sold on the Tangerine Dream. Will be checking that out next time! :upsidedow

What a great first two days!! I'm with ya on the heat, it was hot. I kept hoping for clouds because even just that made it seem so much cooler!!

We did the later brunch thing a couple of times and we are sold on it. It really does make much more sense for the money!

We didn't do Jedi Training again this time because of the new line system. Ben had done it in Jan. 08 and again last summer when it was the old way of getting picked. I totally get that it wasn't the most fair way but this new way of standing in line for what could be quite a long time doesn't seem like the best choice either. Seems like there has to be a better way??:confused3 I think that our days with it are over anyways as he didn't even think about doing it for more than a nanosecond...

Can't wait to hear about WCC!! We haven't eaten there since '06 as there's nothing on the menu that my little one will eat.:sad2:

What a great first two days!! I'm with ya on the heat, it was hot. I kept hoping for clouds because even just that made it seem so much cooler!!

We did the later brunch thing a couple of times and we are sold on it. It really does make much more sense for the money!

We didn't do Jedi Training again this time because of the new line system. Ben had done it in Jan. 08 and again last summer when it was the old way of getting picked. I totally get that it wasn't the most fair way but this new way of standing in line for what could be quite a long time doesn't seem like the best choice either. Seems like there has to be a better way??:confused3 I think that our days with it are over anyways as he didn't even think about doing it for more than a nanosecond...

Can't wait to hear about WCC!! We haven't eaten there since '06 as there's nothing on the menu that my little one will eat.:sad2:

HI!!!! Well first let me say welcome home I hope you had a fabulous trip, too! I think you had the chance to meet WigD and MeMom, yes??!! LUCKY duck! WigD and Shocker are reason enough to go back to Disney!! So much fun!:thumbsup2 And I am sorry that we didn't get to meet up -- I had gotten so side tracked with being there, that I didn't think about meets fast enough ! :sad2:

Well I am sure the Jedi program allows for those willing to wait some security. And I understand that. :thumbsup2 But I too agree there could be another way. More like KP passes or something. Well WCC was great! From our standpoint. DH5 and 8 both like fried chicken and ribs, one more than the other on both accounts, so they each got chicken on their skillets, and we just requested extra ribs in our skillet. I can see how if you don't like that kind of food this restaurant would not be a high priority ! But both times, basically a year apart, we have not been disappointed.:)

I am looking forward to your TR, too!!!! :yay:

Looks like a fun morning at DHS! I'm not entirely in love w/ that park either. Although I do :lovestruc the Brown Derby!

Geeeee.... why did I already know that!!?? :laughing: I agree, Brown Derby, YUM!

I'm not sure what to think about the Jedi Academy changes. I had heard there were lots of complaints that "my kid was disappointed b/c she/he wasn't picked." But I also think that's part of life, right? I don't know. But if there is a way to satisfy more people then I suppose that is the way to go! :thumbsup2 I just pray I never have a kid who "needs" to stand in that line. ;)

Oh I agree, it is their way of trying to make it more magical technically, ensuring that you can do it -- IF you are willing to wait/waste basically 2hours or more in line. Of course if it is important to your kid then it isn't a waste, but the people in that line didn't look happy...:sad2: I'd think they could come up with a better way. I wish they would! It just didn't look fun.

Great pics in Sci Fi. I agree it's a great place for lunch. We just had awful service there last year... that was the problem. But burgers and fries-- YUM.

You have me sold on the Tangerine Dream. Will be checking that out next time! :upsidedow

MMMMMM the burgers did look good, but the sandwiches were, too. Food wasn't memorable but it was simple good fare for that time of day.

Oh, DO try one. They have them in the slushie machines at Hurricane Hannah's!!!!!! An easy drink at the BC!!!

I agree there isn't that much at DHS for little ones, but as an adult I love that park!! GMR is one of my faves of all time!!

I so know what you're talking about with the heat...it can be so brutal in Florida!!! The idea of going back to the pool and chilling was a great ONE!!!

OOOH can't wait to hear about dinner at WCC!

Oh I know! I realize that I was not very thoughtful at the time to ask if all was well with the ear! I hope we recovered! It was Luke, right ? I can't remember now!! I know, we were lucky, especially since you hadn't been a few days earlier, so I am glad you got that evening! :goodvibes I saw your photo on Diane's TR, she and I did actually end up meeting afterall, it was so funny, at the IG, just a few hours before we were leaving, I was such a wreck from the pool, but I just wanted to meet in person. So maybe next summer!!! :thumbsup2

Let's rewind:

Emily had an urgent care visit at Vero Beach = ear infection

While she was there Luke almost lost his big toe to stitches behind a door = EMT visit... now no toenail

The day we hoped to meet I woke up with an echo and no hearing, so off to urgent care= Ear infection

We are healthy people, Em's first ear infection ever! Luckily Kona, Poly pool and the Water Parade ended a rough day for us!

Let's rewind:

Emily had an urgent care visit at Vero Beach = ear infection

While she was there Luke almost lost his big toe to stitches behind a door = EMT visit... now no toenail

The day we hoped to meet I woke up with an echo and no hearing, so off to urgent care= Ear infection

We are healthy people, Em's first ear infection ever! Luckily Kona, Poly pool and the Water Parade ended a rough day for us!

ACK!!!!!!!!!:rotfl: Okay, hats off to you -- doesn't that take the cake, you get the final visit to the urgent care center... ;) Us moms, I tell you... some how I thought it was all tied to the ear and ONE ear at that! :rolleyes:

Glad everyone is better -- and the new toe nail is growing in :laughing:

Finally getting over here. You started the report while we were in Disney World, so that's my excuse for the first few pages. Getting back into real life, that's my excuse for the next few.

I was supposed to be going to a teacher workshop today, but by chance I logged onto my employee e-mail this morning to see that as of 4:08 yesterday, it has been cancelled. Good thing I looked, because there was a carload of us going, and we would have been pretty aggravated to go all the way downtown and find out it was cancelled. :sad2: I rarely check my employee e-mail in the summer, so that was just pure luck.

Anyway, I get to have some extra DIS time today. :cool1: I am going to catch up on all the action I missed while we were gone. :thumbsup2 I look forward to going along on this trip with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter