• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The First Official Tiki Room Fan Trip Report (with pictures!)

Tiki Room Fan

Mouseketeer
Okay this is my first report. I know already I'm gonna ramble on with useless details. I also know a day or so after I post something, I'll remember something I forgot to put in. LOL! We can't have internet at work due to security issues so I've been writing my trip report at work, printing it out and now I have to retype it. It's late, I need sleep but I want to get this started! I'm still playing catch up on everything at home and work since getting back from vacation.

The DF and I were in Disney from Sept. 9-16. He's 50, I'm 39. We went during this same week last year. We stayed at POFQ last year and this year. I've successfully converted him into a WDW nut like me. Well, he's not quite there yet, but he's hooked!! :thumbsup2 :goodvibes
0492.gif
Mission accomplished! ;)

Here goes...

We took Southwest. We got to the airport around 8:00 a.m. for our 9:50 a.m. flight. I had my laptop with me, so to kill time while waiting in the airport and since they had wireless service, I sent some emails to friends and family members. It was finally time to board. The flight was okay, just a lot of turbulence. They kept the seatbelt light on the entire flight. When we landed, one of the male flight attendants sang a very funny song for us. We all got off the plane laughing telling him while it was very entertaining, he probably shouldn't quit his day job. :rotfl:

We were using the Magical Express service like we did last year but this year there was no CMs with a big Mickey hand waiting for us when we disembarked. We had to find the ME location ourselves. We get checked in with them and get into the POFQ bus line. They send us to board our bus and it isn't the ME bus like it was last year. For some reason they had us board a Disney Cruise Lines bus. :confused3:

100_6369-1.jpg

I just noticed that this lady is wearing lime green! I wonder if she's one of us??!! (I didn't even notice when I took the picture) I also see a girl with a lime green hoodie on the bus stairs! I must not have had enough coffee when I took that picture!

100_6374.jpg

I thought it was kind of tacky that each of the monitors on the bus had stickers that said "Gratuity appreciated" - I noticed when we disembarked at POFQ I was the only one to tip the driver. I also noticed on the ME bus back to the airport at the end of our trip, the stickers on the bus we were on had all been torn off.

100_6377-1.jpg

We arrived at POFQ and got checked in. They told us at the desk that we had packages that arrived (our spring water from Staples!) I thought it was pretty cool that we didn't even have to inquire about it - they told us! They said the packages would be delivered to our room right away. While we were checking in, I asked if any of my requests were possible - such as being close to the pool or food court, first floor and corner room. We got building 6 (like we had last year) and first floor. He said they had no corner rooms and we started talking about corner rooms. I said we wanted it for the extra windows that provide more light - but the CM at the desk said the corner rooms have the same amount of windows as the other rooms. I knew he was blatantly wrong but I just let it go. It was too soon in the trip!

We go up to the room and the first thing I do is put the LGMHPCs in the window. I had to explain to the DF what it was all about. He thinks I'm crazy, but he does think that this whole LGMHPCs Dis board cult thing is kinda cool. :)

100_6468_00.jpg

100_6469_00.jpg

The spring water was delivered within 20 minutes and the really nice CM wouldn't take a tip from me. I asked if a lot of people have things delivered and he said sure they do - its his job to deliver the stuff and it keeps him busy.

I wanted to freshen up before going out to hit the parks but my makeup and perfume and stuff was in the luggage which took about 2 hours to be delivered to us via ME. Last year we got it within a half hour. I was spoiled! I found that all around, the ME service was much better last year. Which is kinda strange cuz you think things would improve with age (?) While I was waiting for the luggage, the DF went down to the store and picked up some alcoholic beverages for our fridge and then went and hung by Mardi Grogs for a little bit. He also stopped by the Concierge desk and booked some ADRs for us as we hadn't made any ADR's yet. He booked us in the Hoop Dee Doo, Mama Melroses, Crystal Palace and O'Hana's for dinner. He was even sure to mention that I was a vegetarian (I do eat a limited amount of fish) Since HDD was our first ADR, I rec'd. a message on the room voice mail giving a number to call the next morning and speaking with the chef about what my meal options were. How efficient!! :thumbsup2

We (finally) left the room and got a bus to Epcot. Our destination was Mexico to the La Cantina for nachos and frozen Margaritas. It started to rain so we just took a bus back to the hotel. Our buddy Elliot Dyson who normally plays the Scat Cat Lounge Wed - Sat was out of town. He emailed us prior to our trip to let us know his schedule. The guy who was filling in for him (not sure of his name and the bartender wasn't sure either as this guy hardly ever fills in cuz Elliot is always there) was late going on. We asked why and it turns out his "tech" hadn't showed up to set up his equipment. It was already after 8:30 (show was supposed to start at 8:00) so we decided to walk over to POR and catch Bob Jackson. He was great - he must drink more coffee than me because he was incredibly hyper for that time of night. His show was good and all, but just a bit loud and rowdy for me for that time of night. I'd rather relax and unwind than get all hyper again. Due to the rain, he had a huge crowd and he does a lot of interaction with the audience. Lots of kids, too.

100_6398-1.jpg

The DF and I sat at the bar and had beers. We were getting hungry so we ordered the crab cake bites appetizer. We had to laugh at the portion when it was brought out. It was so...well, lets just say "cute" for the price. It was like $9.49 or something.

100_6406-2.jpg

They were very good, I just wish there was more of them. We were still hungry after we ate them so we walked back to our hotel and the DF got a bacon double cheeseburger with fries and I got a veggie burger with fries from our food court and took them back to our room to eat. I grabbed a coffee refill in the POFQ mugs we bought and I signed online and hung out until I was tired. So that was Day 1 of our trip.

On to Day 2!

When at WDW I always have to get up before the crack of dawn (usually between 5:00-5:30 a.m.) I enjoy showering and then heading out to enjoy walking around the grounds while no one else is around and just absorbing those magical Disney vibes! :goodvibes It's cool to have the entire place to yourself. Once the food court opens, I head in for a cup of coffee then relax either sitting and watching the sunrise or just wandering around.

100_3029.jpg

100_3371.jpg

100_3026.jpg

100_3027.jpg

100_3270.jpg

So every morning I'd go to the food court and get myself a coffee and the DF a Diet Coke (he can't drink coffee anymore) I went for coffee and on my way back to the room, I notice a LGMHPC hanging on my door knob!!
0492.gif
I totally freaked out!!!! I was like OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! That was FAST! We just arrived yesterday!!!! WOO HOO!!!! :dance3: Who was better than me????!!!!! I see it says it's from Scrap4U. So, the rest of the entire trip I had my eyes peeled and suspected EVERYONE at the hotel of being Scrap4U. LOL! I couldn't wait for the DF to wake up so I could tell him!!! (Thanks Scrap4U!!) You were my first Dis Board "encounter" You always remember your first, ya know?! :rotfl: I was just oozing lime green by this point. Then I wasn't sure what the protocol was when you get a LGMHPC from someone. So I stuck it in my window with the rest of the collection. It's in the picture I posted in my Day 1 report actually.

Once the DF was ready to go, we went and had breakfast in the food court. I am addicted to Panera Bread bagels, so I brought 6 of them with me to have for breakfast throughout the week. Cinnamon Crunch. Mmmm! They taste the best in the oven, but I had to get by microwaving them in the food court. I got a side of grits (I LOVE grits!) and the DF had the egg and cheese croissant.

Before we left the room every morning, I was sure to put out one of my preprinted Disney character tip envelopes stuffed with a $5 tip for each day.

We took the bus to Animal Kingdom and immediately noticed that buses weren't as efficient this year as they were last year. We always had to wait around quite a while for a bus - we were spoiled last year - they seemed to be running more frequently. We got inside the park (I was impressed how quickly the check bag lines move) and headed for the safari first. On our way there I noticed GMax and her mom!!! I had another OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! moment!! I told the DF that was GMax and her mom!!! Lets go after them!! By the time we got turned around in the crowd and headed after them, they got lost in the crowd. :sad1:

100_2886.jpg

We continued to the safari and had an excellent tour guide/driver. He was very funny. He sounded like Cheech of Cheech and Chong. LOL! I love how he'd say "Look! They are yumping" (instead of jumping) LOL! I filmed the entire safari with my mini video recorder and the DF complained about not being able to get pics of the animals because we were always moving. A lot of the animals were hiding, but some were out. We did okay - there was an ostrich right by the road near the bus.

I had my Hidden Mickeys book with me and was on the lookout for any. I did find a couple at AK.

This was a hidden white Baloo inside Tamu Tamu Refreshments

100_6447_00-1.jpg

And this was on the ground close by

100_6448_00-1.jpg

This was really strange. These vines just up and started walking away! :teeth:

100_6423_00-1.jpg

We did It's tough to be a bug and then headed for the HOLY GRAIL....Expedition Everest!!! :woohoo: We stopped to admire the looks of it. There was a bunch of cars just stuck/stopped on the hill - you can see it in the picture. I wonder if anyone got stuck there and had to climb down?

100_6436-1.jpg

And then we went to get in line, but didn't see a line. We were told the ride was broke down and they weren't sure how long it would be before it was back up and running and that there were no fast passes being distributed. :sad2:

We did the Dinosaur ride and it was great that none of the rides so far had lines. Even though the wait lines were saying 10 or 20 minutes, there was never a wait. We headed to the Lion King show, I filmed the entire show ... we just LOVE it!! We then went and had frozen daquiri's at the Dawa Bar and enjoyed the entertainment. They have some very talented people doing the various performances at AK. We had the Dawa bartender call to find out if EE was fixed yet and they said no. :sad2:

I always get a kick outta this saddle bar stool at Dawa bar. I don't know why, but I laugh when I see this.

100_2887.jpg

We took the bus back to our hotel. We stopped in the store to pick up a snack. We got a jar of Queso cheese dip and some tortilla chips. I microwaved some of the cheese dip in the food court on the way back to the room. When we got to the room we noticed all of the lights turned off except for the light over one of the beds. On the bed we found this:

100_6487.jpg

YES! I did the happy dance AGAIN!!! :dance3:
0492.gif
Talk about pixie dust and warm fuzzies!!!! Our Mousekeeper for the first half of the week was Jose H (he had left a card. The person who took over after him never left a card.)

Yikes! It's 2:16 a.m. and I have to be up for work at 6:00 a.m. As much as I really want to continue this, with 8 days to write about, I'll be here for hours!!

So I guess I'll stop for now and continue tomorrow.

YAY! You've started your report! And I'm the first to respond!

I can't believe that we were at the same resort, at the same time, and were even at EPCOT on the same day and did NOT run into each other! :confused3

I was in bldg5 on the side facing the pool - well mostly the laundry room.

I agree with you about the Magical Express. I didnt mention it in my report because I thought I was being overly sensitive. But last year it was SO COOL that they were standing there as soon as we got off the plane! I felt really special - like they were waiting just for me! This year they did not greet us when we got off the plane, and when I went downstairs to board the bus, it too was a Disney Cruiseline bus. On the way from the resort to the airport, a Mears bus showed up :( It seems that since we were there at a slow time, they would have ME busses available.

Well I'll be looking forward to more! Now get some sleep!

Hey I just read DAY2! Are we two ships passing in the night or what?!

But now I have to scold you. As a DISer, you should know that you were supposed to ride EE first, and the safari second. Better to risk seeing less animals, than a long line at EE! SHAME! SHAME! I will admit that the animals were hiding when we were on the safari too - except the ostrich! We must have seen the same one!

I also got a picture of the people stuck on the ride. Thank God that did not happen to us. My Mother would never ride anything else again!

Scrap4U was really doing her DISduty, because she left me one too!

Hope you're not too tired at work today! I'll check back in for more!

Excellent report. I want more! But I understand that you have to work for a living. :goodvibes Your pictures are great! I like the way you started off with a picture of the ME/cruiseline bus. Your lime green Mickey heads make me want to head over to Home Depot right now!
:rotfl:

Glendamax said:
YAY! You've started your report! And I'm the first to respond!

I can't believe that we were at the same resort, at the same time, and were even at EPCOT on the same day and did NOT run into each other! :confused3

I was in bldg5 on the side facing the pool - well mostly the laundry room.

I agree with you about the Magical Express. I didnt mention it in my report because I thought I was being overly sensitive. But last year it was SO COOL that they were standing there as soon as we got off the plane! I felt really special - like they were waiting just for me! This year they did not greet us when we got off the plane, and when I went downstairs to board the bus, it too was a Disney Cruiseline bus. On the way from the resort to the airport, a Mears bus showed up :( It seems that since we were there at a slow time, they would have ME busses available.

Well I'll be looking forward to more! Now get some sleep!

YAY!! You were the first to reply to my first TR!
0492.gif

It's a lot of fun writing TRs but geesh it's tough finding the time and it's actually hard work. Loading pics, resizing (I resized to smaller, but i think I like the bigger ones better...you can see them better...I'd like a happy medium, but ever since Photobucket changed the size edit thing, you have to choose one of their options) oh well.

I'm going to try and get a little more written now before I start forgetting details.

Yeah I was disappointed with the ME service this year. Last year it was so perfect with attention to detail and this year it was just a ride to and from the airport. And our bus to the airport was very late. Bad enough they pick you up three hours before your flight, but they ask you to be 15 min. early, and then THEY show up like 30 min late. :sad2:

I can't believe I missed your door with LGMHPCs cuz I did laundry twice that week, which meant several trips to and from the laundry room!! I was trying to be so alert and had my LGMHPC radar working overtime or so I thought.l :confused3

The DF noticed you and your mother another time during our trip, too. He pointed you out on your way through the lobby of POFQ during one night of Elliot's show. Of his three shows we were there for, we missed one of them because we were at Ohana's. So I'd say it was probably Friday night...kinda late...probably like 10 or 11ish. So, I SAW you twice last week, but just didn't get to meet you :sad2:

DeterminedOne said:
Excellent report. I want more! But I understand that you have to work for a living. :goodvibes Your pictures are great! I like the way you started off with a picture of the ME/cruiseline bus. Your lime green Mickey heads make me want to head over to Home Depot right now!
:rotfl:

Aww thanks D.O.! :sunny: I didn't have nearly as many LGMHPCs as I would have liked, so I figure if I start getting a few at at time every time I go to Home Depot..I should have a good collection by the time our next WDW trip comes up. I have to make sure the DF knows the exact color. He got some for me once and they were the wrong color green! :sad2: I said no, no, no! That's the wrong color and he said, yeah but they're green. :sad2:

I am so excited about finishing my TR but I'm always so busy. It's 1:16am and I should be sleeping! LOL

Love the trip report & pics! thanks so much for sharing :sunny:

How cool you & Glendmax & Scrap4U were there at the same time!

Jean

Tiki Room Fan said:
It's a lot of fun writing TRs but geesh it's tough finding the time and it's actually hard work. Loading pics, resizing (I resized to smaller, but i think I like the bigger ones better...you can see them better...I'd like a happy medium, but ever since Photobucket changed the size edit thing, you have to choose one of their options) oh well.

I can't believe I missed your door with LGMHPCs cuz I did laundry twice that week, which meant several trips to and from the laundry room!! I was trying to be so alert and had my LGMHPC radar working overtime or so I thought.l :confused3

The DF noticed you and your mother another time during our trip, too. He pointed you out on your way through the lobby of POFQ during one night of Elliot's show. Of his three shows we were there for, we missed one of them because we were at Ohana's. So I'd say it was probably Friday night...kinda late...probably like 10 or 11ish. So, I SAW you twice last week, but just didn't get to meet you :sad2:

1 - Writing a report is much more work than it looks! And yes, I am mad that photobucket changed their options.

2 - Sorry you missed my door, but we were on the 2nd floor. So you would have to look up to see it.

3 - Can't believe you saw us then too! We were comming back from EPCOT that night! Hopefully if we can go back next year, we can catch up with each other!

Wonderful report, can't wait to read more!!!

Great start, when I wrote about my trip I to had to add or say I missed this so I am writing it now. I don't know how people can write theirs for months or years after. They must take notes. I was too busy for that.

-

NAB said:
Great start, when I wrote about my trip I to had to add or say I missed this so I am writing it now. I don't know how people can write theirs for months or years after. They must take notes. I was too busy for that.
-
I dont see how they do it either! Even now as I'm writing mine, I keep going back to change/add stuff, and I just got back a week ago!

So that is what you do with the Home Depot Paint Samples. I've been collecting them this last month and wondering what the heck I am going to do with them.

Doing a great job telling us about your trip. Love all the other pictures too.

I am posting late, so excuse me if I sleep type! I love the report so far and I agree with the magical express thing. I saw the tip things when we got picked up at the airport and they were gone when they took us back!

As for seeing lime green people in the park, I saw tons, even whole families decked out in lime green, but none of them dissed. :sad2: They just must have liked lime green.

Keep writing, I can't wait to read more. :teeth:

Thanks for reading my TRs you guys!! I didn't think anyone would read it...thanks for the compliments. :goodvibes

ET - YES! I saw tons of lime green people at the parks, too, but no LGMHPCs and none of them said anything about mine. I'd hate to approach someone just cuz they're wearing lime green and have them report me to security. LOL! :rotfl: I saw a lot of those Disney tshirts that were on sale a few months ago for like $3.19 or whatever on the Disney store website. I bought them in orange, teal and lime green. I saw entire families clothed in them all in the same color. LOL.

Okay I need to continue with Day 2. I left off on the heart towel art Jose H left.

Jose H was very busy in our room! He picked up all of our stuff on the shelf over the sink (razor, toothpaste, deodorant, cologne, etc) and put down folded washcloths under everything and arranged it all neatly. He left a stack of extra washcloths, extra towels, shampoo and soap (more of everything than usual) and he even crafted a toothbrush holder out of a washcloth and stuck our toothbrushes in it! We used it all week, and unbeknowst to me, the DF took it home with us!! LOL!! :rotfl: He also arranged the DF's reading glasses in their case and his paperback book on the back of the toilet. He put a couple extra towels down and arranged the glasses case and book on top of it (DF would probably kill me if he knew I posted that here.) :teeth:

toothbrushholder.jpg

We freshened up and took a bus to the Magic Kingdom and caught a boat to Fort Wilderness for our ADRs to the Hoop Dee Doo Revue.

100_6512.jpg

We arrived very early, so we checked out the store and then went into Crockett's Tavern for cocktails. The bartender (Ben) was fun - he was kinda complaining about people who bring newborn babies to WDW. LOL.

We had excellent seats!! We sat in the balcony towards the center. We had perfect view of everything!!! From now on, I will request the balcony when I go here! The show was EXCELLENT!! It's definitely something I would like to do everytime I go to WDW now!! This is the first time I've ever gone to HDDR. I would have taken more pictures, but I filmed the entire show, so I didn't get much as far as pics go. The service was awesome! Our server was Carlos. He was very nice and very funny and efficient, too. :thumbsup2

100_6513.jpg

Here's a picture of me and the DF that Carlos took of us. I was wearing one of those infamous Disney Tshirts. LOL

100_6514-1.jpg

The food was phenomenal!! We had made the arrangements for my special vegetarian/fish dish that morning on the phone, and told the person when we checked in, like we were informed to do. But apparently no one had told Carlos, our server. We started with a salad and AWESOME cornbread (I LOVE cornbread!) As you can see in the picture above, the cornbread is served on a cutting board. I could have polished off the entire thing myself, but I didn't. :rotfl:

After Carlos cleared away the salad he brought out a bucket of chicken and slammed it the steel plate in front of DF. It was funny. I'm sure the sound recorded on my tape! I was filming the show at the time. Next thing I kow, he slammed a bucket of ribs in front of me. DF spoke up before I could and told him about my special meal. He didn't know about it and said he'd go check. Minutes later he came back with my special meal. It was a HUGE piece of white fish, a baked potato and grilled veggies like zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, onions, etc. The portion was enough for at least two people! I didn't even eat half of it. The DF also got baked beans, and corn on the cob which was very soggy. But what can you expect when they are making so much food for so many people? The entire meal was great accept for the soggy corn.

One of the ladies in the show came upstairs to interact with those of us sitting up there, and she steered clear of our table when she saw I was filming, which I thought was very nice of her. :thumbsup2 She did come back later on in the evening when she saw I wasn't filming and it turns out she's from just next door to CT in Long Island, NY.

The DF and I were joking with Carlos about how he should sing and dance with the show. So of course we busted up laughing when the servers became part of the show and did this song and dance whilst holding all of our trays of strawberry shortcake dessert. To see Carlos on stage doing the Rockette's type kick was priceless!! :rotfl2: We still laugh just thinking about it.

I had coffee and the DF didn't want dessert. I didn't touch my coffee or the strawberry shortcake until I was done filming and by that time they were already clearing the tables, so I got to taste the dessert and it was delicious!!

I noticed a lot of laughing coming from down below us on the floor as the servers were clearing tables and everyone was leaving. Someone took their cornbread and cut it into the shape of a Mickey Mouse head and left it on their table. The server was laughing so hard, she picked it up to show everyone and then it broke ... she was bummed out ... I wanted to get a picture of it, but I missed it! Darn! A lost HM opportunity! It looked great, too!!

We were pleasantly surprised to find out that a bus to POFQ was waiting outside for us along with a bunch of other buses to the resort. Now that's some good Disney efficiency at work! :thumbsup2

We got back to our room and I went down to the food court for my usual night cap of coffee (am I the only one who can drink a mug of coffee and go right to bed?) I signed online and played on the Disboard until I got sleepy. That was it for Day 2.

I'm going to get Day 3 started but I really have to shampoo the carpets. With 2 dogs and 2 cats its necessary. They just went nuts while we were at WDW last week. Muddy foot prints everywhere! A few mysterious stains...etc....I have a lot of work to do...but I am just DRAWN to the Disboard! :disrocks: And this is much more fun than shampooing the rugs.

Day 3. Monday.

Yep I got up early, went for coffee and Diet Coke. When DF was ready, we left for breakfast in the food court. I had the egg and cheese croissant and the DF had the King Creole (Egg, bacon, home fries and a biscuit.)

We went back to our room to get our cameras and HM book and before I left, I put Jose H's tip envelope out and also left this for him on my bed, where he left the heart the day before.

100_6535_00-2.jpg

We took the boat from POFQ to Downtown Disney because the DF was looking for a specific pair of Mickey Mouse cargo shorts like he bought last year. Last year he got the khaki ones and he wanted to pick up either green or blue ones, but we couldn't find them anywhere all week. When we got there we split up for shopping and kept in contact via cell phones.

I bought some really cute ornaments in the Christmas store and photographed one of the HM's in there:

100_6538.jpg

And here's another HM I got from there (I went on a bigger search later in the week, so I'll post more pics further in my TR)

100_6540.jpg

100_6541.jpg

We took the boat back to our hotel and when we got into our room, once again, all of the lights were off except for the one over the bed where we found this:

100_6543_00.jpg

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:
0492.gif

Jose H is very funny and creative!! Yes it was another OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! episode!! Once again he left extra towels and washcloths. We had so many by this point!! The hotel must've been noticing the shortage and thinking people were taking them home!!

We left and took a bus to Epcot.

...to be continued.... :dance3:

I am loving your trip report and I think I can safely say that we all want Jose as our mousekeeping person! Love the mickey on the bed, my kids would have died if they had seen that one! :teeth:

Enjoying your TR immensely!

Wow! Jose is a gem & Carlos sounds super, too! The both of you sound like a fun couple! :thumbsup2

Jean

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter