• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Everything Victoria & Albert's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say this but I think that you misunderstand what they do there.
it's not Top Chef. A true chef can make you anything but this is not where a chef creates food JUST for you. There is an entire restaurant they are catering to. Allergies they accomidate but a list of ALL the food you don't like...to me that seems a little too much. Most chefs don't like substitutions such are take off this, this, this and that because it's altering the entire flavor profile and what you are served might not taste as good. They will do it for you but trust me they are not happy about it. My BIL is a chef and we have spoken about this a lot. My argument has always been if I am paying I should get it the way I want it, his is when you alter it you are not getting his best and he refuses to send anything out that isn't his best. I guess I can see both sides of that argument.

I just can't imagine spending that much money and then ordering really plain food.

Unless you are allergic I would say TRY what they serve. You might be pleasantly surprised, these chefs are masters at delicious.

Sorry, but I should have made it more clear because I didn't misunderstand - the 13 items ARE my allergies. Yes, I'm that much of a pain in the rear. Believe me, I understand in them wanting you to get the best but there are so many things I am allergic to that they could use. I have to make sure that I have all possible items on the list that they might use so that I don't have any reactions. At the other WDW restaurants I don't have to worry so much because going in I already know exactly what I will be eating and know what is in the dishes. When planning my trips I spend a lot of time going over the menus to figure out exactly what I will be eating. Thankfully most of the stuff I'm allergic to can easily be avoided at the other restaurants in the stuff I would normally order. I am careful to avoid things such as fish, shellfish, eggs, melons, ginger, turmeric, blue cheeses, etc.

Maybe I shouldn't have called it my "no foods" list since it made so many of you think I was just being super picky. I didn't think it would be necessary to list all of my food allergies. I prefer to call it my "no foods" list because I honestly get sick and tired of saying that I'm allergic to all these foods. Imagine being able to eat all these great foods then waking up one day as an adult and you can no longer have them. IT SUCKS! If I had never been able to eat them I'd be okay with it but the fact that I have a taste for so many of my now allergic foods is a real bummer. There are so many that I crave even though I haven't been able to have them in over 10 years now. I could give in and have some but then they would kill me so what would the fun be. Some would just give me the hives but that sucks too. I definitely don't want to even deal with the hives on vacation with my sisters, my nephews, dad and step-mom for the first time.

Does this help clear things up a bit?

Here is a link to a regular Dining Room menu from about a year ago. You will notice there are eight numbered courses (including coffee). They each generally have three choices; each line on the menu is a separate item. If you have dietary restrictions it is beest to let them know in advance, but it can be done right at the restaurant.

A couple of comments.

In Post #109 I put a link to a menu from last year. It will give you an idea of what is served.

If you do not drink wine you don't have to order the wine pairings. I will usually just order iced tea as my beverage of chice when dining there. If you would like some wine (and not a separate glass for each course) just let the server know. Israel, the Maitre'D, is one step from Master Sommolier; once you have decided on your choices they can recommend wines that will work with multiple courses. They do sell wines by the glass. Also they do have a very large selection of beers and other beverages.

Thanks! I appreciate all your help. My husband may have to try a wine there then. He finally found one wine that he likes.

I think there's a bit of confusion regarding the printed menus.

When you are seated, you are presented a generic menu of your choices for the evening. There is a menu available with all vegetarian options as well. The servers may ask if there are any foods you don't care for. (The reservations desk should have already called to confirm your reservation and check for allergies for any of the guests.)

After the dinner, you will receive a souvenir personalized printed menu of the courses you chose.

So Mom21: if your daughter asks to see the vegetarian menu, she will not see any disturbing edible critters right off the bat. However, if she looks at and orders from the omnivore menu, the only way she will end up with disturbing edible critters on her take-home personalized menu is if she chooses to order them in her courses.

When you are seated, you are presented a generic menu of your choices for the evening. There is a menu available with all vegetarian options as well. The servers may ask if there are any foods you don't care for. (The reservations desk should have already called to confirm your reservation and check for allergies for any of the guests.)

After the dinner, you will receive a souvenir personalized printed menu of the courses you chose.

So Mom21: if your daughter asks to see the vegetarian menu, she will not see any disturbing edible critters right off the bat. However, if she looks at and orders from the omnivore menu, the only way she will end up with disturbing edible critters on her take-home personalized menu is if she chooses to order them in her courses.

Thanks for explaining that. I was confused. I thought that you order off your personalized menu. Got it now.:thumbsup2

Each time upon sitting down, I've always been given a personalized menu. I have been to V&A around 25+ times in the past 17 years and its always been that way to me. The only time I didn't get a personalized menu in the beginning was when I was at the Chef's Table

Yes, each time we've been there, we're given our personal menus to choose from. They have our names on them. This past March, we went for our DD's 16th birthday. On her menu that she ordered from, it had 16th anniversary, so we asked them to change it and when the meal was over, it was fixed. All the ones we've brought home have all the choices for that night on them, not just the ones we ordered.

Heather

When you are seated, you are presented a generic menu of your choices for the evening.
More confusion, it's the same menu you orderd from. It has ALL the choices offered that evening not just what you ordered.

My Boyfriends menu was printed wrong, it was his last name and mine. I didn't even think of asking them to change that. It was just so funny. Guest Services put his last name on my military ticket....guess Disney was trying to tell us something :scared1:

When we were there in January, we were given menus with our names on them. My daughter's menu had no seafood on it; she had different choices for her "fish" course. I am allergic to crab; there was no crab on my menu, but there were other seafood choices. Additionally, since I told them that she doesn't eat seafood, her amuse bouche was different than mine. Mine had lobster; hers did not.

Mom21, if you tell them that she does not eat duck or veal or rabbit, it will not appear on her menu.

can someone help with the new adr system? I'm not getting the question about Victoria and Alberts. It keeps putting me in the regular queue.

Any suggestions?

Phone Number has changed:
407) WDW-DVNA

The new website should be launching soon based on the conversation I had with the manager on Dec 12th.

We just booked for the late seating on 3/3. The CM who walked me through the reservation, Amy, was outstanding.

I am really excited abot our upcoming reservation... but I do have a vouple of questions for those who have dined at V & A before.... for dinner it will be my husband, our 17yr old son and myself. We are dining on Valentines Day which happens to be our 24th wedding anniverary....

1. Can we use the TIW card on Valentines Day?
2. Is there a holiday charge for Valentines Day like there is on Christmas ?
3. I had gastric bypass surgery this past year... will they be able to accomodate this by giving me smaller portions? I want to try everything.. just little portions of everything....lol...

This dinner is a surprise for my husband.... somehow I have to figure out how to get a suit into his suitcase without him seeing it....

thanks for your help...

Actually, the menu. you are presented with at the beginning of the meal is personalized. It includes all the courses and offerings and the only modifications are for the purposes of allergies. Example: My dad is allergic to white fleshed fish and blue cheese. So his fish course was subbed out with vegetarian offerings and his cheese course offering did not list stilton, but instead offered beemster XO.

You order all courses at the beginning of the meal, they take the menu away and then return it to you at the end of the evening.

No online booking, and no 90 + 10 - it's a straight 90 days.

If you are after the Chef's Table, you can't use the TIW discount there - only in the main dining room.

I've been able to book main dining room twice utilizing +10. I've also been offered the Chefs Table both times I have called to make an ADR, so it is available with +10 as well.

Seating at Victoria & Albert's varies throughout the year:

September to June - 5:45-6:30 pm and 9:00-9:45 pm
July to August - 7:00-7:45 pm

In September we had a 6pm seating and showed up much earlier than anticipated (we were a touch excited lol). We were seated at 5:15 and there were already other diners in the restaurant when we arrived.

For March, we have a 5:15 reservation.

How does menu selection work? I am going to be calling tomorrow to get all my reservations for my honeymoon in November and want to make sure I've got the information ready that I need to give them for Victoria & Alberts. Do we need to choose on the day we make the reservation or do they call later and we choose everything then?

When you book your ADR the CM will asks for the spelling of the name of each member in your party and will inquire as to whether or not anyone has food allergies. They will note the allergies.

Approximately 10 days prior to your ADR date they will call to reconfirm any allergies.

They do not ask for food preferences unless you are dining at the Chef's Table.

You do not recieve a menu or select courses etc until you arrive at V&A for dinner. You order all courses at the beginning of the meal.

I am really excited abot our upcoming reservation... but I do have a vouple of questions for those who have dined at V & A before.... for dinner it will be my husband, our 17yr old son and myself. We are dining on Valentines Day which happens to be our 24th wedding anniverary....

1. Can we use the TIW card on Valentines Day?
2. Is there a holiday charge for Valentines Day like there is on Christmas ?
3. I had gastric bypass surgery this past year... will they be able to accomodate this by giving me smaller portions? I want to try everything.. just little portions of everything....lol...

This dinner is a surprise for my husband.... somehow I have to figure out how to get a suit into his suitcase without him seeing it....

thanks for your help...

1. Yes you can use it on Valentine's Day, TIW blackout dates are Mother's Day, Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day.
2. I don't believe there is any holiday charge for Valentine's
3. You would need to consult directly with the restaurant or with Disney's Dietary Restriction/Allergy department (look for info on the DISabilities board I believe). I can tell you that the portions are on the small side. The amuse bouche is literally about 4 bites of food. The cold appetizer is about 4 bites. The hot appetizer is about 6. I would guage the fish course at approx 2 ounces of protein and a small accompaniment (mine was 4 pieces of asparagus and a tiny crab cake). The meat course is the largest with approx a 4 ounce portion. The gelato was again, 2 bites. The dessert is fairly large, so they may be able to accomodate there.

I left feeling very comfortable, not stuffed or over-indulgent. Also remember that the meal takes place over 2-3 hours.

What does +10 mean?

+10 refers to the rule that guests with a WDW Resort Reservation may book Advance Dining Reservations for up to 10 days of their vacation on the first day that the reservation window opens.

Example:

You can book dining 180 days in advance. If you arrive on Sept 25th, that makes Mar 29th the day that dining reservations open for Sept 25th.

If you DON'T have a resort reservation you can only book dining for Sept 25th on Mar 29th.

If you DO have a resort reservation you can book dining for Sept 25th - Oct 4th (10 days) all on Mar 29th.

+10 refers to the rule that guests with a WDW Resort Reservation may book Advance Dining Reservations for up to 10 days of their vacation on the first day that the reservation window opens.

Example:

You can book dining 180 days in advance. If you arrive on Sept 25th, that makes Mar 29th the day that dining reservations open for Sept 25th.

If you DON'T have a resort reservation you can only book dining for Sept 25th on Mar 29th.

If you DO have a resort reservation you can book dining for Sept 25th - Oct 4th (10 days) all on Mar 29th.

Oh, gotcha. Thanks.

I just found this thread and am so grateful for all of the fantastic information. I am taking my twin nephews to V&A to celebrate their 21st birthday in May. Both are foodies - one is a chef and the other works in a fine dining restaurant in Charleston as a server. Since they will be 21 we will all do the wine pairing. I was offered the Chef’s table but decided to do the dining room since both of them spend so much time in kitchens – they deserve to be pampered for one night! I am looking forward to seeing the new website and keeping up with this thread for the latest. Thanks again for all of the wonderful information.

Susan - I hope your nephews realize how lucky they are to have an amazing aunt like you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter