The Everything Victoria & Albert's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it is very normal for couples at V&A to order different dishes for each course and cross-eat because of the variety and quality.

Actually it is very normal for couples at V&A to order different dishes for each course and cross-eat because of the variety and quality.

My wife and I do the same, I think we each tried just about every dish that the other ordered:thumbsup2

How does menu selection work? I am going to be calling tomorrow to get all my reservations for my honeymoon in November and want to make sure I've got the information ready that I need to give them for Victoria & Alberts. Do we need to choose on the day we make the reservation or do they call later and we choose everything then?

True, real chefs would enjoy the challenge. Thank you for pointing that out. I can't make our reservations (and I know they don't ask for your allergies until shortly before your arrival) until October but I've already got my list of "no foods" taped to the monitor to make sure I don't leave anything out. There are 13 items on the list and some are generic like fish and shellfish. I'm afraid if I don't have a list in front of me I'll forget something like bananas. I've always been able to eat them until recently.

At first we were only going to eat here if we could get the Chef's Table but now I think we will go no matter what. We'll just have to make sure we are presentable enough. ;)
[/QUOTE]

I hate to say this but I think that you misunderstand what they do there.
it's not Top Chef. A true chef can make you anything but this is not where a chef creates food JUST for you. There is an entire restaurant they are catering to. Allergies they accomidate but a list of ALL the food you don't like...to me that seems a little too much. Most chefs don't like substitutions such are take off this, this, this and that because it's altering the entire flavor profile and what you are served might not taste as good. They will do it for you but trust me they are not happy about it. My BIL is a chef and we have spoken about this a lot. My argument has always been if I am paying I should get it the way I want it, his is when you alter it you are not getting his best and he refuses to send anything out that isn't his best. I guess I can see both sides of that argument.

I just can't imagine spending that much money and then ordering really plain food.

Unless you are allergic I would say TRY what they serve. You might be pleasantly surprised, these chefs are masters at delicious.

How does menu selection work? I am going to be calling tomorrow to get all my reservations for my honeymoon in November and want to make sure I've got the information ready that I need to give them for Victoria & Alberts. Do we need to choose on the day we make the reservation or do they call later and we choose everything then?
They call later and ask you your preferences. You don't know exactly what will be on the menu at that point; neither do they. You order from your menu while you're sitting at the table.
I hate to say this but I think that you misunderstand what they do there.
it's not Top Chef. A true chef can make you anything but this is not where a chef creates food JUST for you. There is an entire restaurant they are catering to. Allergies they accomidate but a list of ALL the food you don't like...to me that seems a little too much. Most chefs don't like substitutions such are take off this, this, this and that because it's altering the entire flavor profile and what you are served might not taste as good. They will do it for you but trust me they are not happy about it. My BIL is a chef and we have spoken about this a lot. My argument has always been if I am paying I should get it the way I want it, his is when you alter it you are not getting his best and he refuses to send anything out that isn't his best. I guess I can see both sides of that argument.

I just can't imagine spending that much money and then ordering really plain food.

Unless you are allergic I would say TRY what they serve. You might be pleasantly surprised, these chefs are masters at delicious.
Ah, but does your BIL do custom menus for each guest? Does his restaurant call every guest 10 days in advance to find out their preferences?

Ask him if he'd be willing to accommodate a diner and try to make fabulous food within their constraints if he had a week to come up with something and the ability to have all the ingredients on hand.

It's also quite possible that the chefs already have a sufficiently large repertoire to satisfy just about any dietary restriction. They can just mix and match among courses.

Here is a link to a regular Dining Room menu from about a year ago. You will notice there are eight numbered courses (including coffee). They each generally have three choices; each line on the menu is a separate item. If you have dietary restrictions it is beest to let them know in advance, but it can be done right at the restaurant.

Would you believe they even omitted mushrooms for me? I didn't, but the waiter pointed out that the dishes that evening that contained mushrooms would be altered if I wished to try them. I thought that was really nice.

Ah, but does your BIL do custom menus for each guest? Does his restaurant call every guest 10 days in advance to find out their preferences?

It's also quite possible that the chefs already have a sufficiently large repertoire to satisfy just about any dietary restriction. They can just mix and match among courses.

Again...maybe you misunderstood what they do there. The menu is not created for each guest. They PRINT a special menu with your name on it but everyone in the place is offered the same food. The can deal with dietay restrictions but should they have to deal with a picky person and all of their dislikes?

The ask about allergies...not a laundry list of everything you don't like :rotfl2:

If I had a laundry list of disliked food, I don't know that I'd spend the money to eat at a place like V&A's. It helps to have an open mind to trying new foods, preparations, etc. at restaurants like V&A's. Although they do their best to accomodate their guests, you really lose out on a lot if you make too many special requests.

OK, maybe I did misunderstand. But maybe I didn't. If the poster with the "laundry list" of dislikes and "can't eat"s talks to V&A and they say, sorry we can't accommodate you, he or she still has time to cancel the reservation.

Perhaps it might also just be easier for that poster to tell them what he or she does like or can eat, rather than the other way around.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

It helps to have an open mind to trying new foods, preparations, etc. at restaurants like V&A's. Although they do their best to accomodate their guests, you really lose out on a lot if you make too many special requests.

I second that. I can think of at least 2 or 3 things about which I said, "I normally hate this food. They've made it delicious," and then I ate every scrap. Mmmmm.

If I had a laundry list of disliked food, I don't know that I'd spend the money to eat at a place like V&A's. It helps to have an open mind to trying new foods, preparations, etc. at restaurants like V&A's. Although they do their best to accomodate their guests, you really lose out on a lot if you make too many special requests.

I am an EXTREMELY picky eater but I have decided in this case unless the food item will kill me or put me in the hospital (none do) that I'm going to try it. For us this is our honeymoon and it is probably a once in a lifetime dining event. Plus everything in the pictures just look so good!

Please do not shoot me or tell me why you wouldn't spend this much on a child. With that out of the way, do you think this would be ok for a 12yo that everyone thinks is about 16? I see others have taken their 16yo. My dd is very adventurous in her eating and no she wouldn't disturb your meal. Probably way less loud than some of the drunk people I've seen at some very nice restaurants:rotfl2:

Also if I do the wine pairing will they give her sparkling non-alchoholic drink for app or at least for dessert. She loves that. I'm not really into wine. I like very sweet drinks like champagne for desserts but like beer with dinner. Yes I know we are "country", but hey we enjoy nice meals also.

Will they accommodate my dd's sensitive nature with animals? In that for some reason seafood, chicken, and beef are ok, but if they put veal or buffalo or heaven forbid duck (she has pet ducks) on her menu she will cry.

Kids under 10 are not allowed at V&A's at all. If your 12 year old likes gourmet food and will enjoy the atmosphere, then what you spend on them is your business.

And if she is going to cry because certain critters are on the menu (she doesn't have to order them) then maybe you should try another place. I can't see asking them to leave certain dishes off the menu to accommodate sensitive animal lovers. But you can call, and ask. Since they print the menu for you, maybe you can give them a list of things not to print on yours. But there will be a menu posted outside, and there will be other people in the restaurant ordering those dishes.

Maybe I didn't articulate correctly. She knows people eat that stuff (I do cuz I'm a bad mom:rotfl2:). I was just wondering if I could ask when they call if it be left off her personalized menu.

do you think this would be ok for a 12yo that everyone thinks is about 16? I see others have taken their 16yo. My dd is very adventurous in her eating and no she wouldn't disturb your meal.

If you think she'd like it, and you want to take her, eh - it's your money. It's a very long meal, featuring foods she's likely not tried before, in a dimly-lit room. I wouldn't worry about disturbing other people - when we were there, I didn't really notice that there were other people.

Also if I do the wine pairing will they give her sparkling non-alchoholic drink for app or at least for dessert. She loves that. I'm not really into wine.

Not sure why you'd do the wine pairing if you aren't really into wine. I suspect that there is some sort of nonalcoholic sparkling drink that you could order for her, but that would be completely independent of what you'd drink. Or do you mean, is there an option for her to have something to drink so she doesn't feel left out?

if they put veal or buffalo or heaven forbid duck (she has pet ducks) on her menu she will cry.

You might want to look back through some of the prior menus, and see what would likely be included. I don't have my menu handy, but I think her options would be extremely limited if chicken, beef, and seafood are the only proteins she'd want.

A couple of comments.

In Post #109 I put a link to a menu from last year. It will give you an idea of what is served.

If you do not drink wine you don't have to order the wine pairings. I will usually just order iced tea as my beverage of chice when dining there. If you would like some wine (and not a separate glass for each course) just let the server know. Israel, the Maitre'D, is one step from Master Sommolier; once you have decided on your choices they can recommend wines that will work with multiple courses. They do sell wines by the glass. Also they do have a very large selection of beers and other beverages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter