The Epic 16 day Feast...Oh, and we got married too! Update 11/17 Jiko

mm mm snickers cheesecake :worship: btw you look so beautiful in your wedding dress :) cant wait for the next update!

mm mm snickers cheesecake :worship: btw you look so beautiful in your wedding dress :) cant wait for the next update!

Thanks so much - I can be a pretty insecure person but I can honestly tell you that dress made me feel truly beautiful!! Plus the magic of hair and makeup helps!!

The snickers cheesecake was amazing...still not as good as the cheesecake brownies at BW though!

Congrats on your wedding! I absolutly love your dress! I think that maybe I had the same server at WP because I am the same way with not being super picky about service, but this woman was so rude and awful. She also seemed to have it out for those of us on the dining plan. They were out of desserts on the night we went and I wish I could have tried that cheesecake. It looks amazing!

Congrats on your wedding! I absolutly love your dress! I think that maybe I had the same server at WP because I am the same way with not being super picky about service, but this woman was so rude and awful. She also seemed to have it out for those of us on the dining plan. They were out of desserts on the night we went and I wish I could have tried that cheesecake. It looks amazing!

They were OUT of desserts? How does that even happen??

I don't know why but for some reason, the server at Tony's made me tear up a little bit! What a wonderful surprise for you before your wedding!

I've been following your PJ here and there... I'm so happy you got the day of your dreams! And your dress is fabulous! Can't wait to read more.

I don't know why but for some reason, the server at Tony's made me tear up a little bit! What a wonderful surprise for you before your wedding!

I've been following your PJ here and there... I'm so happy you got the day of your dreams! And your dress is fabulous! Can't wait to read more.

Thanks - those moments are what makes Disney truly unique in my mind. They are SO good at what they do!

Subbing to your report. I am loving all the pics and great reviews of everything. By the way you look beautiful in that dress and I love the mickey rings and the wedding cake looks awesome. Can't wait to hear more reviews, especially once you reach DDX mode

We went to DHS for park opening, and left just before lunch. We took the boat over to BW, and then my mom, Adrian, and I decided to walk over to EPCOT for lunch. We debated on where to go, but decided to try Germany as we’d never been before. Their lunch offerings are pretty limited; you can get either a Bratwurst (Sausage) or a Frankfurter (hot dog) with a roll and a pile of sauerkraut. It was OK – not the greatest CS meal…but I think we’re kind of spoiled because EPCOT has so many great places to eat. We all chose the Bratwurst, and I had the Apple Strudel for dessert. The apple Strudel wasn’t great really, but had a great vanilla sauce with it…if it had come with more sauce it may have redeemed itself in my books. Now don’t get me wrong, it was not BAD food, it just was very average food…

Now onto what ended up being one of the most disappointing meals of the trip…mostly because I was SO looking forward to it! I planned the dinner for all 14 of us at Flying Fish because it was one of the restaurants I was most looking forward to trying. I think we may have just been cursed this week, because again, the food at Flying Fish was pretty great but the overall experience was terrible. I do not want to come across as hard to please, but I think you’ll agree when I get this out “on paper” that it was BAD service. In fact so bad that I called and spoke to the area manager about it…not looking for anything free, in fact I turned down his offer of a free meal – I just felt like if I were the manager of a Signature Dining restaurant I’d want to know.

It started when I went to the podium to check in, the lady said “You don’t have a reservation for 14 – you have 3 reservations, one for 2, one for 5, and one for 7”. I was like “Huh? I called the restaurant myself to book, because the dining line wasn’t able to book a table of 14 for me…so I know I booked it for 14. Can you check again? Maybe see what you can do to seat us together? We’d be happy to wait if necessary.” She replied with “Yeah I’ll check.” So after a few minutes she comes back and says “No problem, we’re setting the table for you.”.

Then a few minutes later they come and get us and start to lead us into the restaurant. Then the person seating us says “You are the part of 13 under the name <insert wrong name here>, correct?” I chuckled and said “No, we’re the table of 14 under the name MacDonald – the name they called when we were at the front of the restaurant.” Then the guy wanders off, leaving the 14 of us kind of hovering in the middle of the restaurant….then comes back a few minutes later and proceeds to take up to the table.

Our server came, took our orders…she was OK but not at all what I would expect in a place like this – she was kind of abrupt, and when I asked her for recommendations (which I often do) she wasn’t exactly receptive to that. She basically said “The steak or the snapper – they are our signature dishes. I’d get the steak if it were me.” She was just really abrupt considering a part of what you expect in a signature restaurant is “the dining experience”. I could totally overlook all of these things…I wasn’t even annoyed at this point, she was up until now, better than the one at Wolfgang Puck’s!

So at some point just before dessert time I said to the waitress, “Wow we did good, we’re trying to make it to Wishes and we still have lots of time…and we didn’t even rush!” She said something like “Oh yeah, Wishes is great” – so I KNOW she heard me. This is where it went bad…

She brought out desserts for approximately ¾ of the table….and then left the rest of us sitting for between 10-15 minutes before bringing out our desserts. This is one thing that annoys me like crazy…I hate sitting watching people eat and waiting…I don’t mind if it’s a few minutes…but literally Adrian is one of the slowest eaters ever, and he was pretty much done his dessert by the time I got mine. So annoying.

Then she brings the bills. I notice that my sister (who wasn’t even near me at the table) got charged for my appetizer, so I bring it to the server’s attention…she takes the bills away (keeping in mind that with the timeline of the desserts taking about 30 or more minutes to get served and eaten, and we are hoping to hit Wishes)…20 minutes later the manager comes to the table and checks in…I said "Well things were going OK until dessert…” I told him what happened, and that she still hadn’t returned with our corrected bills.

He basically said “Wow, sorry…” and walked away…not in the direction that the server was in either – she was in my line of sight and he never even went to see what was happening or to offer to help with the bills…nothing. I was so disappointed…really it was totally unnecessary…consequently we were too late to be bothered to go see Wishes…all in all it took almost an hour from the time dessert was first brought to the table and the time we got our final bills…it was crazy and weird.

The funny part is it made me a bit anxious about the fact that we had days of deluxe dining planned for our honeymoon, and tons more Signature Dining planned – I was totally worried….didn’t need to be – the rest of my reviews are all outstanding…I promise – this is the LAST of the crappy food experiences. And it was only 2 days out of a huge awesome trip, so I can totally live with it!

Now onto the food…I had the Yellowfin Tuna Tartare and Crispy Tempura Tuna-Vegetable Sushi Roll for my appetizer, which was phenomenal (not as good as California Grill, but that’s later in the trip). The flavors and textures were outstanding.
DSC02896.JPG

Adrian had the Fresh Mozzarella di Bufala, "Ugli Ripe" Beefsteak and Tiny Florida Grape Tomatoes…which was A-Mazing! The tomatoes were so darn good – they were like candy!
DSC02895.JPG

For our mains, I had the Signature Flying Fish Café "Potato-wrapped Red Snapper" with Leek Fondue with a Veal Glace, Red Wine, and Cassis Butter. I wasn’t overly impressed – seeing as where it’s a signature dish I assumed I’d be blown away…it was just OK really. The fish was a bit dry, and the leeks weren’t my favorite side dish.
DSC02902.JPG

Adrian had the Signature Flying Fish Café "Char-crusted Certified Black Angus New York Strip Steak" - Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Root Vegetables, and Pole Beans, with Classic Sauce Foyot. This was his favorite meal of the trip by far. And I admit it was a darn tasty steak!! I was super jealous…
DSC02901.JPG

For dessert, he got the a special one that was new to the menu, a blueberry tart – he said it was just OK, not great. It was pretty tart, that's for sure!
DSC02909.JPG

I got the Caramelized Banana Napoleon - phyllo, banana mousse, creme caramel, exotic fruit coulis and bitter chocolate, which was also OK (although the congratulations was a nice touch!). I found it really hard to eat - which many of these "stacked desserts" are.
DSC02910.JPG

Had I known how long it would take I’d have just gone to BW Bakery and gotten a brownie cheesecake!!

Anyways – onto more positive things up next, Day 8 we had no TS, but some good CS to review quickly, then Kona Breakfast and onto the Disney Cruise!

Jumping in now... can't wait to read more! :) I'm sorry that you had to deal with crappy service! That's just not cool on your wedding trip!

Your dress is beautiful! I'll be looking for your full trip report in the future!

sorry for the bad experience you had and missed Wishes:confused3
Enjoying your updatepopcorn::

Thanks!! As I said I have a pretty decent attitude about it, we did only have 2 bad experiences in a 17 day trip!

Jumping in now... can't wait to read more! :) I'm sorry that you had to deal with crappy service! That's just not cool on your wedding trip!

Your dress is beautiful! I'll be looking for your full trip report in the future!

Thanks for reading - my trip report is started and slowly coming along...it's linked in my signature as the wedding PJ/TR :)

She basically said “The steak or the snapper – they are our signature dishes. I’d get the steak if it were me.”

For our mains, I had the Signature Flying Fish Café "Potato-wrapped Red Snapper" with Leek Fondue with a Veal Glace, Red Wine, and Cassis Butter. I wasn’t overly impressed – seeing as where it’s a signature dish I assumed I’d be blown away…it was just OK really. The fish was a bit dry, and the leeks weren’t my favorite side dish.

Adrian had the Signature Flying Fish Café "Char-crusted Certified Black Angus New York Strip Steak" - Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Root Vegetables, and Pole Beans, with Classic Sauce Foyot. This was his favorite meal of the trip by far. And I admit it was a darn tasty steak!! I was super jealous

You should have listened to your waitress :rotfl:

On day 8 we were moving over to Polynesian for the night before the cruise, so packed everything up and sent it over with guest services. Then we said our goodbyes to Adrian’s parents and headed for breakfast before meeting my nieces at EPCOT for park opening. We intended to go to BW Bakery for breakfast, but the lineup had about 20 or 30 people in it…it was nuts. I spotted Boardwalk Joes, and they have breakfast croissants. So I went over (there was no line) and asked if they are the same croissants as people get inside, she replied with “Yup – all of our stuff comes from the bakery!” So I picked up 2, some coffee and juice, and we were on our way!

They were amazing! The best breakfast croissants I have had on Disney property by far! The cheese didn't seem quite as "processed" as the cheese they use at the food courts, and the ham was amazing. Great start to the day!

After a busy morning at EPCOT, we went to Tangierine Café (Morocco CS), which is always my favorite. Unfortunately we didn’t take pictures but it was fantastic as usual. The Chicken Shwarma platter comes with hummus, tabouli salad, a fantastic Moroccan bread, a good portion of chicken, and some couscous…and it’s all followed up with a fabulous piece of Baklava….great value for a CS meal; if you wanted to (which I never do) you could easily share it. Adrian had the meatball platter with yellow rice, and it was also fantastic. All in all a great lunch.

We stopped at the bakery at Norway to use up the last of our snack credits, picking up a chocolate chip cookie, a Cloudberry horn, and school bread (which I had never tried). We headed over to Polynesian and decided to eat these before heading to the pool for a swim. Cloudberry horns are so unique, because they have a crust of sugar on the outside of the pastry, and are filled with a rich, sweet pastry cream…the texture and flavor is amazing. I also tried school bread for the first time, and it was fantastic….I can see why people rave about it. The bread is sort of a donut-like texture, it’s filled with an amazing vanilla custard (it kind of reminded me of a Boston cream donut). The whole thing is topped with vanilla glaze and toasted coconut. It’s not too sweet but just enough to satisfy…it was a great treat to try out – I’m glad we remembered to stop there on our way out of the park!

Early in the evening we headed over to Downtown Disney to pick up Earl of Sandwich for dinner. I never take pictures of EoS subs because pictures do NOT do them justice – they have to be experienced….if you haven’t gone there yet, plan to on your next trip – it’s by FAR the best CS on Disney property, and the best value if paying OOP too! My only complaint is that I went away from my usual favorite (the Original) and decided to split on 2 subs with Adrian. We got the Meatball and the Monte Cristo – and don’t get me wrong they are fantastic…but the original is just SO good!!

After dinner we did a bit of shopping, and then headed back over to Poly to sleep off all the food…and get ourselves ready for Kona Breakfast.

So we got up on the day of the cruise, knowing that the limo is coming at 8 AM to pick us up (my family came on the cruise with us – it was cheaper to hire a lime than to take Disney Transportation – plus we got upgraded to a HUMMERZINE – which was truly awesome!). Kona doesn’t open until 7:30 aM so we knew it would be tight – but we got there at 7:15, I talked to the lady at the podium, and she got us in first, right at 7:30 – we both knew what we wanted to order, so it was easy!

I had, obviously, Tonga Toast. There is not other food worth eating for breakfast once you have had it…I wish we could go to Poly every morning for breakfast just so I could start my day with this wonderful creation. Some people say it’s too sweet – that’s crazy talk in my opinion…I think it’s perfect, especially when topped with the “Nectar of the Gods” (my name for it – they just call it Strawberry Compote) that it comes with…

Here is me trying to waste time while waiting for the Tonga Toast taking pictures of the coffee/condiments:
DSC02945.JPG

Here is us taking pictures of each other while I am tapping my foot WAITING for my Tonga Toast (I’m doing a great job of looking patient though):
DSC02944.JPG

DSC02943.JPG

Nectar of the Gods:
DSC02946.JPG

TONGA TOAST!
DSC02947.JPG

DSC02949.JPG

This photo represents both a very happy and very sad moment in my life...
DSC02950.JPG

And here is Adrian’s breakfast. It was actually pretty stellar too! He had the Big Kahuna which comes with eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, french toast and macadamia pineapple pancakes (he is such a great hubby – he shared his pancake with me). He enjoyed the breakfast immensely, and said it was one of the best of the trip!

Big Kahuna:
DSC02948.JPG

And last but not least, us with our awesome stretch Hummerzine! Apparently it’s the longest in all of Florida, they upgraded us for free for some weird reason!!
DSC02951.JPG

Up next – 4 days of Cruise Food!

Congratulations on your dream wedding! I'm really enjoying reading your report. Love your wedding pics, too. What a cute couple! :)

Just found your reviews and they are wonderful :)
You look beautiful in your wedding dress and you both look so happy together
Can't wait to hear all about your cruise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter