• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Dis Goes to Italy 5/24 - 6/1/2012 Viva Italia!!!!

So now we are under sixty days (58 I think), soon we all will be looking for those special boxes from ABD.

Note on Ipad chat discussion last week; I total forgot that my Ipad 2 is a Verizon 3g, which if I understand correctly, means no Sim card slot built in to the unit.

Need to discuss further with Verizon, along with global cell phone needs.

Or just buy an Ipad 3 non Verizon....

So now we are under sixty days (58 I think), soon we all will be looking for those special boxes from ABD.

Note on Ipad chat discussion last week; I total forgot that my Ipad 2 is a Verizon 3g, which if I understand correctly, means no Sim card slot built in to the unit.

Need to discuss further with Verizon, along with global cell phone needs.

Or just buy an Ipad 3 non Verizon....

I did some checking and that seems to be accurate about verizon iPads. But what a great reason to get a new iPad. ;)

Did I miss anything good in chat??

I was up in Atlanta seeing my family for a few days. I don't know how something so great can also be so stressful at the same time (could be that there were nine of us.) And then I have to stand there with a big smile on my face waving while they drive back off to Chicago, and sniffle all the way back to Savannah on my own.

Sometimes I think I should be like my middle sister and just cry buckets all over everyone instead of sucking it up. But then I couldn't say something so loving like would you man up and calm down, you're upsetting Autumn (the littlest sister) That's me, nothing if not compassionate to a pregnant woman. (sigh) Not my finest moment. Luckily, my pregnant sister has never listened to a word that comes out of my mouth, so probably even if she heard me she didn't care anyway.

It must be love because I sure wouldn't suffer this much for just anyone! ;)

The trip to ATL was a good dry run though. We've run out of some stuff we need for Italy. Like pants for me that aren't athletic wear for one thing, and maybe some new shoes for Jeri. As I told Jeri, no one wants to see me running around Italy in athletic pants and t-shirts. Not the Italians, and not the Pope. So I'm just going to have to break down and shop. I think my girlie gene for shopping was not installed properly.

Today I input all of our already planned stuff into my google calendar and printed out the pages so I can have a rough guide for what's what. Is it strange that I get such a sense of happiness and satisfaction watching calendar pages come off a printer?

Did I miss anything good in chat??

I was up in Atlanta seeing my family for a few days. I don't know how something so great can also be so stressful at the same time (could be that there were nine of us.) And then I have to stand there with a big smile on my face waving while they drive back off to Chicago, and sniffle all the way back to Savannah on my own.

Sometimes I think I should be like my middle sister and just cry buckets all over everyone instead of sucking it up. But then I couldn't say something so loving like would you man up and calm down, you're upsetting Autumn (the littlest sister) That's me, nothing if not compassionate to a pregnant woman. (sigh) Not my finest moment. Luckily, my pregnant sister has never listened to a word that comes out of my mouth, so probably even if she heard me she didn't care anyway.

It must be love because I sure wouldn't suffer this much for just anyone! ;)

The trip to ATL was a good dry run though. We've run out of some stuff we need for Italy. Like pants for me that aren't athletic wear for one thing, and maybe some new shoes for Jeri. As I told Jeri, no one wants to see me running around Italy in athletic pants and t-shirts. Not the Italians, and not the Pope. So I'm just going to have to break down and shop. I think my girlie gene for shopping was not installed properly.

Today I input all of our already planned stuff into my google calendar and printed out the pages so I can have a rough guide for what's what. Is it strange that I get such a sense of happiness and satisfaction watching calendar pages come off a printer?

I did a virtual tour of the Piazza Barberini on Google Earth because John is looking forward to cheap sausage cheese balls in Rome. My electrical goodies arrived along with new shoes and a SD card of Northern Italy for my Garmin, and, as always, Matt did something monumental, I just can't remember what. Oh, and Kevin said there will be no string quartet or dancing at the final dinner in Venice.

I think the 24th is the best time
May 24, 2012 9:45 AM

http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/...romefoodtours/

This guided 4-hour food and cultural city walking tour gives you a taste of Rome that few visitors experience. Rome has some of the best food in the world as long as you know where to find it. We take you to seven non-touristy places to savor nine fabulous food tastings (a hearty meal). Along the way you'll be dazzled with entertaining stories and insights into Rome’s culture, history, and architecture and be guided to many secret attractions. Join us and uncover the Real Rome!

I'm officially signed up too!! Yay!

I did a virtual tour of the Piazza Barberini on Google Earth because John is looking forward to cheap sausage cheese balls in Rome. My electrical goodies arrived along with new shoes and a SD card of Northern Italy for my Garmin, and, as always, Matt did something monumental, I just can't remember what. Oh, and Kevin said there will be no string quartet or dancing at the final dinner in Venice.

No string quartet or dancing? My vacation is ruined! :dance3:

Glad your goodies arrived!

Howdy Folks,

As today is my birthday, John has offered to take me to dinner and a movie....both in the same place!

This means I'm going to miss ABD chat.

However, the room will be open, and you're welcome to use it.

I will also be gone next week, but the same applies.

Please feel free to take advantage of the room.

If you have any questions or concerns....just let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Ah crap!! Missed chat again. I really need to put this in my schedule to send me a reminder. Hope we didn't miss too much. We'll try to make next week's....I promise. Unless we forget. :thumbsup2

Kevin, hope you enjoyed your dinner and movie. Let me know how you enjoyed Wrath of the Titans!!

This might be beneficial to some of the folks going to Italy so I'm posting a link to the article here:

Starting this Sunday, AT&T will begin offering out-of-contract customers the ability to unlock their iPhone and use it on another carrier.

So if you have an iPhone and are on AT&T and you are no longer under the 2 year commitment to AT&T, this will let you unlock the iPhone so you can get a different "micro-sim card" to use the iPhone while in Italy.

I hope someone (Mike Holland) will correct me if I'm wrong.

Note that this won't apply to Verizon iPhones. I don't know for sure but believe that even if they were "unlocked" they could not be used in Europe. Sorry, Frank.

You are correct, Jack. I got an email from ATT's Enterprise Business group about this yesterday.

By my calculation it is 46 days before our adventure first begins. This also means that it is 36 days before the internationally known leader of the smallest country in the world says something to upset one of the largest religious groups in the world.

(Yes, I've been listening to old (9/19/06) podcasts).

Did I miss a chat tonight ? If I did .. was there anything important said?

Chat was quiet last night, I was on for the first hour with Tracey and Jason.

We had a nice time, discussed some old times together and plans for lots of shopping during this trip!

Everyone's looking forward to the "box" arrival and our final schedule so that we can make plans for OYO time.

See you next week in chat!

41 days!!!!!

Sorry I missed it last night. DD got inducted into an Honor Society. I hope everyone has a good Friday.

Morning All -

I spent yesterday preparing my tax return. I itemize and, in Tennessee, that's fun because we have no income tax so if we want to deduct state taxes, we have to add up the sales taxes we've spent over the year. It's depressing to see how much money we fritter away on frivolities such as food and gas when the money could go toward trips to Disney World.

Since I never get a refund, I look forward to tax time as much as McBeth looked forward to Banquo's ghost. Blood will have blood, they say...

But don't take me as complaining about taxes because my point is that with taxes now behind me, I am now really pumped about being only 38 days from the official start of the trip. :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter