• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Dis Dad's Club III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I would like to join the DIS Dad's Club.

I just became a father 2 weeks ago and am loving it so far. We went to WDW several times when I was a kid but i was too young and don't remember much.

We live in the suburbs of Chicago and I run a tree nursery for a living.

DW and I went down in January of 2008 and i fell in love with the place. DW is a fan of Disney but not to the level that I have become. We have been back 5 times since that first trip a little over 2 years ago. We even convinced my family and her family to come down for a week and tour the parks with us a little over a year ago.

The first people that I told that I had a new little daughter other that grandma and grandpa's was here on the boards. I am glad that I found these boards.

Tom

Christopher, what is the the Dis Silver Sponser by your name, I've see silver & gold ones on threads but have no clue to what it is:confused3

I kind of wondered about that also. :confused3 :confused3

I am a senior electrician, and fire alarm tech. for a major medical school, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, and about the phone thing!

Well it was 3:30 ish on a bright and sunny Sat. boarding day for the DCL "Magic". I'm sitting by "Signals" the adult pool bar with my family and doing justice to my second (maybe third) "tropical depression" (kind of a long island ice tea on steriods) when the phone I had forgotten to turn off rings. One of my shift engineers tells me that the hospital fire alarm system is locked in alarm and I HAVE TO come in right away, :eek: to fix it or they will fire me. I tell him that I can't and he should call the contractor for help. No No he says the big boss said for you to "get here now", I handed the phone to the bar tender and asked him to explain. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: you would think that If I am that important they would give me a raise :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

MAN LAW!!!! However I will say that I am connected to my Blackberry alot because of my jobs. It does not and will not take time from my family. That is unless we (the kids and I) are getting updates on the Eagles or Phillies.:thumbsup2

I have to say I'm kinda partial to the corollary... :laughing: How's Gabe doing? Are you getting any sleep yet?

Hi Gang!
Please add me to the list. I should have joined this years ago. This looks like a lot of fun. BTW - I hope you don't mind, but I believe there would be a lot of Dad's on the DIS Unplugged board who would be interested in joining this group. I'm going to extend an invitation to them by starting a thread on that board and link it to this thread.

Aaron
ADP

Welcome!

All of you who are on trips or just getting back, I hope you are having or had a great time and I am getting caught up on TR's. Speaking of TR's I will have an update soon as well.......I must finish before that other guy!!:rotfl2:

Funny that the conversation of what all of do for a living has come up, this is what has kept me busy. I am currently a Buyer for a refrigeration and A/C wholesaler and have been with my company for 12 years. But this is all going to change, I have been in the Food Industry for just as long in a part time basis. I am taking the plung and quitting my job and taking over my in-laws family restaurant. They have decided to retire and I will be buying the business. I went to night school 5 years ago and completed my Chef Training and have been working at restaurants part time to get my hours in. This has been a passion of mine for years and now its time to jump in with both feet.

Wish me luck guys! :goodvibes The only downfall is the limited time I will have to hang out on the Dis, I guess I will have to move to the night shift with some of the other fellas.

WOW! Talk about a big change. Good luck! I hope the restaurant is incredibly successful and fulfilling for you. You'll have to let us know where it is so if we're ever in the area, we can drop by for a meal.

If so, add me to the list. Right now I'm at OKW with my 7YO grandson (by marriage) and we are both having a great time. Oh, and I guess the womenfolk are too. :thumbsup2

Welcome! I'm guessing we can make an exception here...the only real requirement for this group is a sense of humor! Oh, and abiding by man laws, etc.

I just became a father 2 weeks ago and am loving it so far. We went to WDW several times when I was a kid but i was too young and don't remember much.

DW and I went down in January of 2008 and i fell in love with the place. DW is a fan of Disney but not to the level that I have become. We have been back 5 times since that first trip a little over 2 years ago. We even convinced my family and her family to come down for a week and tour the parks with us a little over a year ago.

The first people that I told that I had a new little daughter other that grandma and grandpa's was here on the boards. I am glad that I found these boards.

Tom
Welcome and very hardy congrats. on the new baby :dance3: :dance3:

Tom

Welcome Tom!

Then congratulations are in order!! It's not often that folks get paid to do what they are passionate about, so good for you. And good luck!! What kind of restaurant? I skipped breakfast and now I'm hungry.

The restaurant has been open for 35 years and has served basically the same menu all that time. We serve English style Fish and Chips and Broasted Chicken. We hand batter all of our fish to order and the chips are fresh cut. we also wrap our fish and chips in newspaper, and cover the mess in salt and malt vinegar. The Broasted Chicken is cooked in a pressure cooker. It comes out crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. The only issue this restaurant had was that some people are trying to eat a little lighter so that is what I am going to add to the menu. Salads, grilled fish, and maybe some Greek cuisine on special days.

:thumbsup2Very Cool!

So what type of restaurant?

So exactly where "North of TO are you? We were in Mississauga right across from Square One for 6 years. My Mom is grew up in Scarborough and all my Aunts and Uncles are scattered across the GTA.

I grew up in the east end of Toronto in greek town on the Danforth, ( I guess the restaurant industry is just in my blood, I knew it was going to happen eventually) now I live about an hour north of Toronto on the South side of Lake Simcoe.

I will be creating a website for the restaurant and I will post a link as soon as it's done.

Thanks for Congratulations guys, it definately is a scary thing to jump in but I figure if I fall flat on my face I am still young enough to start again. Life is too short to have regrets!!:)

For the jobs discussion...

I'm an engineer with the state highway department here in Delaware. I used to be a designer, which means I did the plans for road construction projects. Now I'm a manager, which means I take credit for the designer's work. :thumbsup2

I always hesitate telling people around here what I do. For some reason, everybody thinks they can design roads. So when they find out I work for the DOT, the first thing out of their mouths is, "You know what you people oughta do is..." :sad2: Why did I go to school all those years? :rotfl2:

Oh, and I don't even own a cell phone! I love being able to disappear once in a while. My wife has one, but it's a pay-as-you-go phone we only use for emergencies. I do have an iPod Touch, though, so I have to be careful not to be distracted surfing the net/playing games when my kids are with me.

It's a nice day out , think I'll go to the garage and try to awaken the beast, haven't started it since Oct., battery has got to be dead by now:lmao:

The restaurant has been open for 35 years and has served basically the same menu all that time. We serve English style Fish and Chips and Broasted Chicken. We hand batter all of our fish to order and the chips are fresh cut. we also wrap our fish and chips in newspaper, and cover the mess in salt and malt vinegar. The Broasted Chicken is cooked in a pressure cooker. It comes out crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. The only issue this restaurant had was that some people are trying to eat a little lighter so that is what I am going to add to the menu. Salads, grilled fish, and maybe some Greek cuisine on special days.

Now I'm hungry, do you deliver?:rotfl2:

Hi Gang!
Please add me to the list. I should have joined this years ago. This looks like a lot of fun. BTW - I hope you don't mind, but I believe there would be a lot of Dad's on the DIS Unplugged board who would be interested in joining this group. I'm going to extend an invitation to them by starting a thread on that board and link it to this thread.

Aaron
ADP

Welcome and thanks for the advertising! :thumbsup2

Hey Fellas!!
I am taking the plung and quitting my job and taking over my in-laws family restaurant. They have decided to retire and I will be buying the business. I went to night school 5 years ago and completed my Chef Training and have been working at restaurants part time to get my hours in. This has been a passion of mine for years and now its time to jump in with both feet.

Wish me luck guys! :goodvibes The only downfall is the limited time I will have to hang out on the Dis, I guess I will have to move to the night shift with some of the other fellas.

Good luck! It's about an 11 hour drive from Racine to Toronto. But you're cooking my kind of food, so I may have to consider it. :idea:

If so, add me to the list. Right now I'm at OKW with my 7YO grandson (by marriage) and we are both having a great time. Oh, and I guess the womenfolk are too. :thumbsup2

Womenfolk? We don't discuss them around here. :rotfl2::rotfl2:
Welcome!

Tom

Congratulations on the little one!

I grew up in the east end of Toronto in greek town on the Danforth, ( I guess the restaurant industry is just in my blood, I knew it was going to happen eventually) now I live about an hour north of Toronto on the South side of Lake Simcoe.

The thing I truly miss about TO is the Greek Festival on the Danforth. DW worked at the island airport so it was the only festival that didn't screw up the traffic on the QEW for us.

The broasted checken sounds great, I just got an 8.5 quart electric pressure cooker and am loving it.

Hi Gang!

Aaron
ADP

Welcome! It's always nice to see some advertising going on for the club. You are member # 433! :thumbsup2

Ahhh... OKW... wait... are you on your Blackberry?? :lmao: You are member # 434! :thumbsup2

Tom

Congratulations!! Welcome to the support group! You are member # 435! :thumbsup2

:welcome: WELCOME TO THE DIS DAD'S CLUB! :welcome:

You have been added to the DIS Dad's Club list :thumbsup2

Don I know you are Busy with that TR but we are going to need the DDC1V soon so please be ready:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2::lmao:

Happy Birthday Don:bday::bday:

Oh and sorry for the TR post above I didn't get the memo on the 24 hr reprieve:lmao:

Okay, you twisted my arm, can I join this bunch of sports nuts, car enthusiasts, guys with kids (see note), and otherwise Disney fanatics. I think I qualify.

Notes

1. 69 year old father of 2, grandfather of 5
2. married 45 years to the same princess
3. visit Disney at least twice a year
4. Fort Wilderness Campground is my favorite resort
5. Nacoossee's is my favorite on-property restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter