The College Program Questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
imagineerhopefull said:
So my dilema really lies in whether I should do the CP and PI and get my foot in with Disney or if I should go and do a Co-Op with another company in the area and gain some actual work experience... or should I just go ahead and do both and stay in school for at least an extra semester, bringing my grand total to 6 and 1/2 to 7 years.

If your dream is to work as an Imagineer eventually, I'd say take the time to do the CP. As for a summer CP - they do have a first-timer group now that goes working for 3 months in either Quick-Service Food/Beverage or Custodial. However, the last day to interview for this coming summer is May 15. I know those two job options don't exactly fit into any category of what you really want to be doing one day, but it's a way to get your foot in the door if you can't make any other CP.

I'm sure other people on here have more ideas and options for you!

imagineerhopefull said:
So my dilema really lies in whether I should do the CP and PI and get my foot in with Disney or if I should go and do a Co-Op with another company in the area and gain some actual work experience... or should I just go ahead and do both and stay in school for at least an extra semester, bringing my grand total to 6 and 1/2 to 7 years.

I would definitely try to do a CP. I dont think it matters if the CP is related to engineering or what you want to eventually do. I think you could do the CP to get your foot in the door for the PI, then do an engineering-related PI to get your food in the door for a disney imagineering job, etc.

Like MissHolly said, there is a summer CP now. They told us during our presentation that during your CP you can shadow not only other cast member roles in the park but also people who work for Disney in fields related to your major. They also suggest "networking" with a lot of Disney people if you want to get your foot in the door while you are there. So you might be doing the custodial summer CP program but you can meet some imagineers and see if you can shadow some of them for a day or two...etc. Doing the CP would still offer a good opportunity for a future at Disney, at least I think so!

Good luck!

MissHolly said:
As for a summer CP - they do have a first-timer group now that goes working for 3 months in either Quick-Service Food/Beverage or Custodial.

I forgot from the presentation that she had mentioned that. I do remember though that she said that if you were to take that route to the CP that you would be unable to take any of the classes or participate in anything else that the CP offers as a bonus (EX. the behind the scenes engineering tours).

imagineerhopefull said:
I forgot from the presentation that she had mentioned that. I do remember though that she said that if you were to take that route to the CP that you would be unable to take any of the classes or participate in anything else that the CP offers as a bonus (EX. the behind the scenes engineering tours).

If you do the summer CP you can't do the classes but according to the presentation and on the website you can still participate in all the networking and "Disney Difference" activities.

PrincessJen09 said:
Does anyone know when the interviews start for Spring 2007?

Interview for Spring 2007 start in the fall, around October or so.

Joanna71985 said:
Interview for Spring 2007 start in the fall, around October or so.

Thanks for the answer. Do you happen to know if you can interview earlier? My school has all these crazy rules and it would make it easier with everything was all said and done by November.

PrincessJen09 said:
Thanks for the answer. Do you happen to know if you can interview earlier? My school has all these crazy rules and it would make it easier with everything was all said and done by November.

Yes. You can do the E-Presentation. That is the online presentation on the website. You can do that as soon as it comes on the website (should be about early fall).

Hey guys. i'm new to this. I applied and interviewed a few days ago for the Career start program, which is basically the same thing as the college program accept with out the school part. Its sounds exciting, but the anticipation of waiting for the letter is crazy. I signed up for operations or merchandise in Epcot or Magic Kingdom. I hope I get in. Any pointers for me or stories about your expiriecne?
Thanks.

Hi xspidey. Welcome to the boards. I did Spring 2005 in Fantasyland Merchandise (in the MK) and I got accepted to Fall Advantage 2006 as a character attendant. The CP (or the Career Start, in your case) is great! I had a blast doing the CP. I had sooo much fun doing it, which I think is good because I want to work there full time once I graduate. If you would like to talk, my IM is joanna71985.

Can anyone tell me what character positions would be available for a 5'10" - 6" female CM? I was also wondering, as far as face characters go -- is Pocahontas below that height range? Awhile ago, I know Disney was very strict with the historically accuracy of her height (which was around 5'10" or 5'11") and I was wondering if they had dropped it.

This is the only time I've ever wished I were shorter. :worried: Thanks in advance.

MightyAphrodite said:
Can anyone tell me what character positions would be available for a 5'10" - 6" female CM? I was also wondering, as far as face characters go -- is Pocahontas below that height range? Awhile ago, I know Disney was very strict with the historically accuracy of her height (which was around 5'10" or 5'11") and I was wondering if they had dropped it.

This is the only time I've ever wished I were shorter. :worried: Thanks in advance.

Don't wish you were shorter! That is a good height. BTW, the characters don't go by gender; they go by height so that is fine. I believe you are in the Goofy height range, so you can be friends with Goofy among others. I am not sure about Pocahontas, but I didn't think she ran that high.

Hi! My son is going to be doing operations in the Fall of 2006. He asked me to check with any of you about this: While down there, will he have the opportunity to audition for any parades, etc, or does that area belong to Entertainment CP'S? Also, how do they decide where you work, which ride? He would love the Jungle Cruise or Kilimanjaro Safari's, but he thought they might be difficult to get into?
Thanks! :sunny:

bjresmom said:
Hi! My son is going to be doing operations in the Fall of 2006. He asked me to check with any of you about this: While down there, will he have the opportunity to audition for any parades, etc, or does that area belong to Entertainment CP'S? Also, how do they decide where you work, which ride? He would love the Jungle Cruise or Kilimanjaro Safari's, but he thought they might be difficult to get into?
Thanks! :sunny:

Hi! On the CP, you do get a chance to audition, but not til the end of your current CP (unless you are extremely short or tall- then they may ask you to switch at the beginning). Until then, the parades are for entertainment. But operations is fun. For operations, you do have a chance to work JC or Safari- my roomie worked Safari and she loved it. I belive college recruiting places everyone. So good luck to him, and maybe I will see him down there (I am doing Fall Advantage 2006 as a character attendant).

Oh, I almost forgot. You CAN work parades and not be in entertainment. You can do PAC (Parade Audience Control). Depending on where you work, you do PAC with your location. Or, you can pick it up through the extra hourse hotline. I did that, and loved doing PAC!! It was great! If you have any more questions, feel free to IM me at joanna71985, or ask here. Good luck!

I have heard many people say they hated their CP experience, which scares me because I am getting more and more excited about applying. :cool1: I think most of those people, though, were stuck in custodial and hated their job. I know you can say no to qsfb but can you also say no to custodial? Does this hurt your chances of getting in? I know there is probably still a way to make this position fun, but I'd much rather be working in the hotels or in operations :).

Just was wondering if someone could explain the details of check in for the college program and maybe give me some tips for the fall move in.
thanks to all who respond
Jim
p.s. i do have one specific question.... Can you pick how many people and where you live?

DisHornFan said:
I have heard many people say they hated their CP experience, which scares me because I am getting more and more excited about applying. :cool1: I think most of those people, though, were stuck in custodial and hated their job. I know you can say no to qsfb but can you also say no to custodial? Does this hurt your chances of getting in? I know there is probably still a way to make this position fun, but I'd much rather be working in the hotels or in operations :).

You can pick whatever roles you want to apply for. For example: when I applied for Fall 2006, I put down character performer, character attendant (my role for Fall Advantage 2006), and ops. For Spring 2005 I put down character attendant, operations, and merchandise (my role then). So it is all up to you what you pick. Good luck!

Check in takes place at Vista Way. You arrive there, and fill out paper work. You get your housing assigment, do a background check, get your photo ID (this is for housing) sign up for the Cast Member portal, get a sticker for your car (if you have one), and there is a housing welcome meeting that night as well.

Just wanted to add- you can request the number of roomates and bedrooms in the apartment, but there are no guarantees.

I have heard many people say they hated their CP experience, which scares me because I am getting more and more excited about applying. I think most of those people, though, were stuck in custodial and hated their job. I know you can say no to qsfb but can you also say no to custodial? Does this hurt your chances of getting in? I know there is probably still a way to make this position fun, but I'd much rather be working in the hotels or in operations

Honestly, it's whatever you make the program to be. People go down there and expect to party without realizing there is a job to do and you are expected to complete it. Every job has it's ups and downs. Sign up for areas you would like to do and try to keep a positive attitude.

teh fish said:
Honestly, it's whatever you make the program to be. People go down there and expect to party without realizing there is a job to do and you are expected to complete it. Every job has it's ups and downs. Sign up for areas you would like to do and try to keep a positive attitude.
i agree. if you love disney and are willing to work it's great (even in qsfb), you've just gotta have a good outlook on the program- also, have fun on your day off, don't just sleep the day away and when you get off of work, make friends with people, hang out, party, go shopping- the more you are willing to make it work (no matter what role) the more fun it'll be!

ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter