The College Program Questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good idea. I was just about to ask if anyone has done custodial before or known anyone who has done custodial, and if they enjoyed it and any other juicy information!

weirdpaintballr said:
Okay...so it would be really helpful if everyone who has done the CP to post their role(operations, merchandise, etc) and a detailed description of a day at work. (what you had to do, how long, etc) Thanks everyone! Oh, I was just thinking about the parades, so I have another question ;) Who sets up for the parades?

I did the CP spring 2005. I worked in merchandise in Fantasyland. I always closed, so I would come in around 4-6 pm and leave by 12-1 am. I would usually work the registers, though sometimes I would stock the stores as well. Usually I worked about 8 hours a day (though longer for summer/busy times). As for parades, they are done by operations people. I would pick up a lot of parade control shifts (and they are the best). If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. My aim is joanna71985.

band_geek said:
also..... what are the other jobs available in DisneyQuest... besides ticket admissions?

Attraction operators, greeters, custodial

I only did the tickets end of things.

My son is in custodial right now. He is on in the MK on Main Street. So its a tough job. He works very long hours (71 for the last two weeks in a row) and always the closing shifts, sometimes until 4am. There is a lot of heavy lifting, cleaning up puke, poop and the likes... So if you don't like hard work, I'd stay away from custodial. It bugs me that they don't get paid extra for that role. But thats the way it is, I guess.

wow! 71 hours a week is a LOT. is he signing up for overtime hours or are they just assigned to him and required? does anyone know if workers are guaranteed at least one day a week off (even during the busy seasons) or they might be working 7 days a week? thanks.

janet

Hey guys. I have a thread on this question, but it may be better to ask here. Would you happen to know when and where auditions for the Disney Collegiate All-Star Band usually are? (I couldn't find an audition schedule for the band, if there is one) Same question about the Disneyland Band?

Has anyone dealt with dreadlocks and getting accepted? I'm guessing it falls under this?
"Hostesses should keep their hair neatly combed and arranged in a classic, easy-to-maintain style. Extreme styles are not permitted."

sugahappy said:
wow! 71 hours a week is a LOT. is he signing up for overtime hours or are they just assigned to him and required? does anyone know if workers are guaranteed at least one day a week off (even during the busy seasons) or they might be working 7 days a week? thanks.

janet

It could be both. I know I picked up a lot of extra hours (there was a stretch where I worked 15 straight days because I picked up Parade shifts on my days off). But, there was also a period in June where I was working 6-day weeks and had about 68+ hours a week. Not fun. :guilty:

I want to do the CP in Spring 2007 which is my sophmore year, but I also plan on transferring to a different college for my junior year, so I was wondering if anyone knew if this would cause any problems for me. Since I plan on attending one college when I leaver for the program and attending a different one when I return for fall semester.

You may want to talk to both your current, and new colleges. See if you can currently receive credit at either for the program - and see if the new college will transfer your credits or not.

Other than that - no problem at all. It's just credits that may be iffy.

tiff13 said:
Has anyone dealt with dreadlocks and getting accepted? I'm guessing it falls under this?
"Hostesses should keep their hair neatly combed and arranged in a classic, easy-to-maintain style. Extreme styles are not permitted."

I'm guessing it might depend on the length, but really I have no idea the rules regarding females and dreads.

They're pretty rigid when it comes to hairstyles, though. They told me point blank that they don't like girls with my extremely fair skin tone to don dyed black hair. :p

I have a question and I need help right away!!! I originally thought that I was going to do the e-presentation so I filled out the application saying such. However, I have changed my mind and am going to one tomorrow, but when I go to change my application it wont let me. What do I do???

Regarding the hours... My son was scheduled for 71 hrs, 6 days in a row, 12 hrs each day. Then he extended his shift on Easter Sunday for an extra 6 hrs. He has tomorrow off, He'll probably sleep the whole day.

Yes, he told me how you can earn extra money and it accumulates, working more than 6 days in a row, having a shift longer than 8 hrs, having two shifts that are shorter than 8 hrs apart, etc. Thats why alot of the CPs look for extra shifts. But with 12 hr shifts consistantly, its kinda hard to put in anything more than that.

meljw1960 said:
Regarding the hours... My son was scheduled for 71 hrs, 6 days in a row, 12 hrs each day. Then he extended his shift on Easter Sunday for an extra 6 hrs. He has tomorrow off, He'll probably sleep the whole day.

Yes, he told me how you can earn extra money and it accumulates, working more than 6 days in a row, having a shift longer than 8 hrs, having two shifts that are shorter than 8 hrs apart, etc. Thats why alot of the CPs look for extra shifts. But with 12 hr shifts consistantly, its kinda hard to put in anything more than that.

This is what scares me. I know I will not enjoy the program one bit if I'm having to work 71 hours a week, 12 hours a day. Was your son assigned this, or did he pick up those hours?

For those who have done the CP, did you find that you were working all the time with very little time off? Can you request to work less? It says that we are guaranteed 40 hours a week, and although I don't mind a little overtime here and there, I wasn't planning on working 70 hour weeks. That's more than a regular job! I know that I won't be doing the best job I could be if I'm tired and overworked.

at my job, one hot summer day at the pool in 101 degree heat, i worked from 5 am to 8 pm, it was as close to hell as you can possible get.

DisneyElite said:
This is what scares me. I know I will not enjoy the program one bit if I'm having to work 71 hours a week, 12 hours a day. Was your son assigned this, or did he pick up those hours?

For those who have done the CP, did you find that you were working all the time with very little time off? Can you request to work less? It says that we are guaranteed 40 hours a week, and although I don't mind a little overtime here and there, I wasn't planning on working 70 hour weeks. That's more than a regular job! I know that I won't be doing the best job I could be if I'm tired and overworked.

I usually worked about 35-40 hours at my location. It was great. I don't think you can request less, however (unless you are able to find someone to just take your shifts and there is a certain way that works). Of course, you could always just try for an Early Release (an ER- your best friend). But that depends on how busy they are and the managers.

PrincessJen09 said:
I have a question and I need help right away!!! I originally thought that I was going to do the e-presentation so I filled out the application saying such. However, I have changed my mind and am going to one tomorrow, but when I go to change my application it wont let me. What do I do???
The same thing happened to me and it's no problem. I was originally going to a presentation April 13 @ my college, but I found out the only Character audition in MI was March 30 and had to do an online presentation last minute on the 29th. I couldn't get it to change on my application either. I called and they said it was no biggie. At the very most, on your phone interview you can just let them know where/how/why you changed your presentation. Hope that helps! :wave2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter