The Canadians' Road Trip Honeymoon to DLR/California - Last update :( 8/16

Our first day wasn't the most exciting, but it does involve some pictures!

Sunday June 21st we woke up at 5:30 am. I am not a morning person, so it was really hard for me! But we had showers the night before so we just had to get changed and load the car. I had some peanut butter toast too. We left the house just after 6 and drove the 30 minutes to the ferry terminal. Here is our first photo of the trip, taken in the car waiting to get on the ferry - note the sleepiness.

IMG_0420.jpg

The ferry ride is about an hour and a half. We ate some breakfast, well, I ate some MORE breakfast, and drank some bad coffee. Forgot they had Starbucks at the 'cafe' but not in the cafeteria. No pics, I ate a banana and J had some icky breakfast combo thing. I read a book and Jason slept after that til we arrived on the other side.

Sitting waiting to get off the ferry, so excited here, this is where it always feels like the trip really starts.

IMG_0421.jpg

Drive off in all the traffic, and it takes us about 30 minutes to get to the border. We took the 'truck crossing' instead of the pretty peace arch crossing b/c the wait times showed it being only half as long.

IMG_0423.jpg

We had a really short wait, only about 10 minutes, and we were officially in the U.S. The drive through Washington really isn't that bad because a lot of the cities are along the I-5 so there are things to see. Here we are driving into Seattle.

IMG_0424.jpg

Space Needle

IMG_0425.jpg

We stopped after Seattle somewhere for our first tank of gas and our first American fast food - Jack in the Box! It was good, we were both starving. Love curly fries and diet lemonade.

Back on the road and the next photo we have is the bridge between Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR. We were making pretty good time, this was taken at 2 pm.

IMG_0427.jpg

Yes, this is foreshadowing for more exciting bridges to come!

Not sure why we took these, but here are some pics of Oregon. Good thing I don't work for the tourism board!

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

We arrived at our hotel in Central Point/Medford, OR at about 6:15ish. Therefore we had been driving for 9 1/2 hours. We actually had fun being goofy, singing (OK, that was just me) and we both like to drive.

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn, it was great! The woman at the front desk was SOOO nice. We got an upgrade to a suite and they made us a card and gave us a bag of chocolates and candy! It really started our trip off great. Here are some really bad pictures of our room.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

In this photo you can see our two tvs!

We asked the front desk for dinner recommendations and went to a local brewery called Wild River. J had a good beer and I had some more lemonade - really, there isn't much lemonade in Canada! And we shared a pizza - ham, pineapple and fresh tomato. It was SO GOOD. We must have stopped for gas too because J went in to pay and stumbled across the most massive Red Bull he's ever seen!

IMG_0435.jpg

He figured it couldn't be good for him, so he had to have it. He drinks it all within about 15 minutes on Day 2... he'll pace himself from now on :rolleyes:

Went back to the hotel and crashed, or tried to while listening to the mother next door talk really loudly to her kids, but we survived.

Day 2 = more driving :cheer2: Coming up soon.

Yeah! Glad you are back and that you had a wonderful time- looks like day 1 went well, can't wait to hear about the rest!

Keep going! Glad to have another honeymooner around here. I'll be reading for sure! :surfweb:

No wonder your wife snatched you up Docter. You are good at obeying directions! And prompt. ;) Thanks for reading! I will write another installment tonight.

Thanks for reading DSNY4ever!

Coming in late to your TR but I'm looking forward to seeing the rest! Congrats on the wedding, by the way!! :thumbsup2

It's also nice to know that I'm not the only person who likes ham pizza! :laughing:

Coming in late to your TR but I'm looking forward to seeing the rest! Congrats on the wedding, by the way!! :thumbsup2

It's also nice to know that I'm not the only person who likes ham pizza! :laughing:

Yum, pizza... I'm hungry! I'm going to write an installment right now while I was for Jason to get home from his haircut to make dinner. Thanks for reading!

We were up at 6:30 am today. :surfweb: We both had a pretty bad sleep the night before, and neither of us felt great. The pizza the night before was fantastic, so we didn't blame it, but we didn't eat our leftovers either. We had some food at the continental breakfast. J had a Jimmy Dean microwave breakfast sandwich, and I had a muffin and a banana. It was OK, free is free!

We headed out of the hotel and picked up a coffee on our way to the I-5. We stopped at Dutch Bros Coffee on the recommendation of a Diser. It was great! Yummy latte, friendly server and the cutest coffee cups ever!

IMG_0440.jpg

I see the GPS in the background of this photo, so I'm going to take a minute to talk about it. Sounds like a great idea for a long road trip, right? A GPS? :snooty: Well, it *ahem* sucked! I'm really glad I had also written down directions from mapquest. It got us lost in Portland because it froze and didn't tell us to stay in the right lane. So we acidentally took the exit in the left lane and ended up downtown and couldn't figure out why it wasn't rerouting us. Had to turn it off then on again. Gets confused in downtown San Francisco, spins it's little arrow around in circles. Thank god for good signage. Also had really weird directions to get to our hotels in Medford and Anaheim and just in general was more annoying than helpful. Not sure if it was just that one we borrowed wasn't very good or if they're generally unimpressive. *Phew* Rant over :rolleyes1

We had a lovely 13 hour drive today. Took us through all of Northern, Central and Southern California! Being an avid snowboarder, the highlight of my day was this:

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Beautiful, snowy Mt Shasta.
The sad part is we drove by this before 9 am! We took a moment to giggle at Weed, CA and variously other entertaining city names. For some reason I just loved 'Buttonwillow'. It just makes me think of Wind in the Willow and like soft little kitties and stuff.

We drove though Sacramento, which has about the same population as Greater Victoria.

IMG_0453.jpg

We giggled at this tower of satellite type stuff. It's almost like driving into Seattle and seeing the Space Needle.... but not quite. And the Sacramento water tower:

IMG_0456.jpg

We stopped somewhere south of Sacramento for some Taco Bell for lunch. I had a chicken salad, yum! I went to look at my credit card statement to see what town it was, gotta give it credit, but I think Jason paid cash for lunch and gas this time.

Jason now knows all about the Disboards, so he would often say things like 'Take a picture of that... you don't have to post it on the Dis'. Often it was pictures of motorcycles:

IMG_0460.jpg

Note the boring scenery in the background. This was about 8 hours of driving. We also saw stuff like this:

IMG_0467.jpg

This was around 5 pm. There is a pretty lake down there! This is probably around Grapevine, CA where you start to head through some twisty mountain passes. Driving through this area on the way home, we saw a small truck not only blow a tire, but lose his entire wheel and come squeeling to a stop basically on his brake pad/axel. Yikes.

Then we passed Six Flags Magic Mountain:

IMG_0471.jpg

Looks way too scary to me!

I had some fun driving through LA at about 6:30, it was a little slow going, but all in all not bad. People were nice about letting you into their lane etc. We saw one fender bender with about 3 cars and that probably held up the traffic more than anything. I tried not to get too excited as we drove past Anaheim. I couldn't look around too much because I was behind the wheel!

About 7:30 is when I start to get a bit loopy. It's been a long day, my butt was going numb and my eyes were tired. We stopped for gas in Oceanside then kept on trucking til we arrived in San Diego at about 8:30, phew, LONG. DAY. Not bad, we had some good bonding time, but long!

We checked into our hotel on Shelter Island, the Best Western Island Palms. It was pretty nice.

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

This is the only room picture, but it had a nice entry way with a sink outside the bathroom and a little opening/counter top between the sink and the bedroom. They were all blue tiles and it was quite cute. We also had some pretty nice views.

IMG_0473.jpg

I love palm trees!

IMG_0505.jpg

We were across the bay from the city.

IMG_0507.jpg

Heehee, the duck tour boat. Seal tour? Whatever you call it. Shelter Island has a nice walkway all along it so we went for a wander the next evening in the setting sun. Here are a few other shots from the other side of the hotel.

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

Where Jason wants to have a summer home:
IMG_0514.jpg

And Jason's favorite - animals.
IMG_0515.jpg

After we checked in and got into our room we went back to the front desk to see where we could grab a bite for a late dinner. The guy working at the front desk was pretty lame, his only suggestion? "The restaurants on the island close at 9 (it was 9:05) but up on Rosecranz St there's lots of fast food places". Well fine, we were too tired to care much so McDonalds it was. Took it back to our room, gobbled it down and went to sleep. (And we said we felt sick the night before!) But not before playing with my Manny the Mammoth toy from my cheeseburger happy meal. :woohoo: The little Disney touch to my day!

Stay tuned for San Diego city tour and Seaworld in Day 3!

I see you drove through lovely Sacramento...it has such beautiful vistas! Water towers, weird radio towers, but you forgot my favorite...the puke green/yellow tower bridge! It's just so attractive. :eek:

I think the Grapevine is Jason's (my Jason's haha) favorite; besides for the pipes you can see for a few miles before the Grapevine. I think he just associates it with being so close to Disneyland. I can't believe your willpower though - you drove right past Anaheim!!! I don't think I could do that...:rotfl:

No wonder your wife snatched you up Docter. You are good at obeying directions! And prompt. ;) Thanks for reading! I will write another installment tonight.

Thanks for reading DSNY4ever!

And yes...that is exactly why I snapped him up!! Besides his ridiculously good looks of course... haha

ooh i missed your post to say you was back, so a bit late but welcome home and glad you two had a great time :)

Glad to see you have started your TR and a great start it is. Love your photos they are great. What a long drive, but it looks a good one. Road trips always look so fun in the US, some of that scenery is gorgeous.
Can't wait for day 3 :)

I see you drove through lovely Sacramento...it has such beautiful vistas! Water towers, weird radio towers, but you forgot my favorite...the puke green/yellow tower bridge! It's just so attractive. :eek:

Haha, funny girl! When you haven't seen a 'city' all day long and it's about 2 PM it sure seems exciting!

ooh i missed your post to say you was back, so a bit late but welcome home and glad you two had a great time :)

Glad to see you have started your TR and a great start it is. Love your photos they are great. What a long drive, but it looks a good one. Road trips always look so fun in the US, some of that scenery is gorgeous.
Can't wait for day 3 :)

Thanks for reading Sarah. I do really like road trips. I don't HATE flying, but it's not my favorite. And in/from Canada it's just too expensive.

I'll start Day 3 now, might break it up into 2 sections though. I have a cold today :( It's rainy since we've been home.

It was nice to wake up this morning knowing we didn't have to jump in the car for hours.

Driving to our hotel we caught sight of a Starbucks, so we headed there for a quick breakfast. It's a good thing I drank so many lattes on my trip, but I didn't get a lot of milk otherwise.

We then headed to Old Town Park (free parking!!) to hop on the Trolley Tour.

IMG_0474.jpg

We started off at about 10am and didn't get back to Old Town til 2. It was a really informative tour and we got to see a lot of things that we wouldn't have had time to see otherwise.

First we cruised by the Harbor. We saw their big ships/aircraft carriers etc. and heard about the military down there. The ships were huge!

The first place we got off was Seaport Village. Cute little touristy place for shopping/dining.

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

The obligatory cactus photo. Jason's coworker's wife is from Mexico and he always insists they get a photo with a cactus whenever they go down there. It's really quite funny... umm Matt, she's kinda had her fill of cacti in the first 20 years of her life. She needs to make him pose with a big fir tree or something.

IMG_0483.jpg

Nope, not disneyland yet :sad2: Just a cigar shop with guys smoking cigars outside at 10:30 am!

It was pretty chilly so far this morning. Similar to Anaheim, chilly in the mornings/evenings and HOT during the day. Hard to keep up!

We hadn't really gotten into picture taking yet by this point. I should have taken a picture of this really cool hot sauce store! Yup, that's all they sold. Must have been 100 varieties. Jason loves spicy food, but couldn't decide which one to buy so we passed. Oh look, it's in the background of this shot: Hot Licks it was called. Look at the cute smiling hot sauce bottle, more like :headache: or :scared:.

IMG_0484.jpg

I maybe would have spent a bit more time here on our trip, we just weren't ready for shopping yet so early in our holiday. Back to the trolley we went.

This time we had a really lame tour guide. We missed Bob from the first part. This guy somehow gave off the appearance that he knew all, and was better than everyone else? Kinda fake acting. Bob was a retired guy who just seemed like he LOVED his job and wasn't working from a script.

We zoomed by the Marriot Hotel and Marina (there are a lot of nice hotels in San Diego if you don't mind paying $250+ per night) and Horton Plaza (a big new shopping area downtown) because like I said we weren't ready for shopping yet. Next stop to ditch the bad bus driver was:

IMG_0494.jpg

The Gaslamp district. It's the trendy downtown area. We wandered around here and stopped for a snack.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

A tapa restaurant had a GIANT knight outside.

We were also close to Chinatown:
IMG_0491.jpg

We hopped back on the bus and were driven over to Coronado Island which was really cute! Could spend an afternoon there too. Then the trolley went through Balboa Park/the San Diego Zoo (see Day 4!) and Little Italy before taking us back to Old Town.

Now it was.... lunch time! We went to Coyote Cantina because it had a nice looking covered patio. We were on holidays so we order some margaritas. They were ok, I got watermelon because it was the special and therefore only $7 instead of $8.50 and up. We sat right by the torilla maker.

IMG_0495.jpg

Unfortunately the only food shot we got. :confused3 I suck at this! The tortillas were the best part of the meal. Wow, real fresh tortillas are amazing. I don't know what we buy at the store or eat at 'Mexican' restaurants here, but they are not the same. They also had fabulous salsa. More on my favorite Mexican food of the trip will be coming up in a few days... betcha can't guess where! :rolleyes1

We also got seranaded! That was fun.

IMG_0496.jpg

We wandered around Old Town for a bit and checked out some shops. Bought a pretty painted pot as a souveneir for my Mom.

Check out the name of this restaurant on the right. And a pretty church behind it.
IMG_0502.jpg

A funny mural while we waited to board the trolley.
IMG_0477.jpg

Lots of pretty buildings in the area.
IMG_0475.jpg

After that we headed back to the hotel to change into shorts and head to Seaworld. That will be my next installment. Thanks for reading everyone, don`t be shy to comment, or at least say Hi!

Loving your report! :cool1:

Can't wait to hear about the rest of it...

:banana::banana::banana:

Hi :wave: Awesome pictures and I can't wait to read more! :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading! Don't give up on me, I'll get to the Disneyland part soon.

*RANDOM VENT*

Sorry, just need to take a moment to complain about how horrible Walmart's photo processing is. The photos look sooo nice on my computer screen - nice bright colours, crisp lines, things *pop*. Then I send them to Walmart. Not only do they print on really thin paper, the colours are sooo washed out. I know I'm pale, but I'm not THAT pale and sickly looking. So I'd recommend spending a bit more money and getting them done somewhere better. Ugh. What a waste of $40. Oh well, just for my scrapbook... so it's the memories that are important I guess.

*RANT OVER*

On a happy note, that just reminded me, I ACTUALLY GOT A TAN! That was a highlight of the trip. I really don't tan very well. But all the hanging out by the HOJO pool must have done me some good. I did get a weird shaped burn patch on the back of my neck where I missed sunscreen one day, but that was it. :cloud9:

Now gonna play some guitar hero :rockband:

Very nice to read an update. Can't wait to hear when you get to d-landpirate:

Alright, so after relaxing at our hotel for a wee bit and changing into shorts, we headed off to Seaworld. It was about a 10 minute drive from our hotel, not too bad. The hotel provided a big long list of directions to tourist attractions, so we just used those instead of the GPS.

I don't know if we A. Missed something, B. Are jaded because we live around real life sea animals or C. Any ideas? but neither of us really enjoyed Seaworld. For one thing it's not laid out nearly as well as Disney theme parks! We had trouble following the map, it wasn't intuitive/divided into logical lands. And I admit I didn't do as much planning as I normally do so we kind of wandered around aimlessly.

I think I got my times wrong in my last post... I think we arrived at Seaworld at about 2pm. We bought our city passes from a very friendly ticket agent then had to go trade them in at guest services for a ticket. This took a long time. There was a mother in there swearing etc :scared1: because she lost her stroller, I mean, because someone stole her stroller. She was scary/a bad parent swearing in front of her kids! But alas, we had our tickets and were off.

First stop, penguins. This was kind of neat because when you go inside it's almost pitch black to emulate what it's really like at that time in the south pole (I think south, right?). Does NOT make for good photos though! There were about three different varieties included the Emperor Penguin, my favorite. The next section had various other "cold weather birds" I will call them. Such as the puffin, so cute! I did a report about puffins in like grade 2.

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

They had a little penguin area outside too, so we got some pics there.

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

This one was extra cute, I think he was enjoying the sun and/or taking a nap :confused3 But he kept peeking out of his little eye.

IMG_0533.jpg

We then went into the manatee exhibit. We saw giant catfish (I think. Apparently I'm really bad at remembering basic animals!)

IMG_0537.jpg

And some big manatee butts. I guess it was lunch time cuz they were munching on their lettuce and not paying any attention to us :sad2:

IMG_0538.jpg

I think the highlight was the dolphin show we saw next. They are sooo talented! The only annoying (to me) part was how the trainers kept saying 'behaviors' instead of 'tricks'. Oh give it up, it's not like they splash with their tails on command in the wild! :rolleyes1 I'm a bit cynical about zoo-type places though.

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Wow, the Splash Zone gets SOAKED. DRENCHED. I CAN'T THINK OF ANY MORE ADJECTIVES, but REALLY REALLY WET. So not for me.

The did a cute little number where they got the Mom from the chosen family to stand up and grab the rope from the dolphin, then they stretched it out so the dolphins could jump over it. But instead the one dolphin jumps up, grabs the rope in his mouth and pulls it down so the other dolphins can just do a tiny jump. It was actually pretty funny.

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Note how Jason didn't actually get any photos of the dolphins in the air? Yeah, no comment :rolleyes:

It seemed like at this time the only other shows weren't until later in the evening for the summer nights shows, so we continued to walk around. Saw a ton of flamingos. Or is it flamingoes? Anyone?

IMG_0567.jpg

Then we saw some cute tortoises. :lovestruc

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

It was really cute how it pulled itself up onto the sand. And some starfish which are always so pretty.

IMG_0574.jpg

And one more bird photo for the road. Jason loves this photo for some reason.

IMG_0577.jpg

We also looked at the sharks, saw the whales and some more dolphins and a few other exhibits, but didn't manage to get any good photos. We watched the people go on the water ride too, looked like fun, but too wet for me! By now we had kind of seen most of the exhibits and were waiting for Disneyland for rides. It was only about 5 and we couldn't figure out how to spend another 2-3 hours before the night shows, so we just called it a day and headed back to the hotel. We still had fun, it just wasn't as great as we hoped I guess.

We hung out at the hotel for about an hour, then tried to decide what to do for dinner. We kind of wanted a few drinks and didn't want to drive so we headed to the hotel restaurant to check it out. The main restaurant was a bit upscale for what we were looking for after a tiring day, so we headed into the bar. Great decision - it was happy hour!

$2.50 margaritas + $3 for 2 fish tacos = happy Kelsey and Jason.

Amazing marg, best I've ever had! Julio the bartender was fab too. The fish tacos were really filling, so we both were stuffed after the two we had. So we had a great meal, a couple drinks and watched a baseball game all for under $20! Much tastier and cheaper than Seaworld would have been (from what I've heard).

After dinner we walked it off along the shelter island walkway/pathway/boardwalk kinda thing :rolleyes: I must be sick, I just cannot use my words like a big girl tonight. That's where we took some of the photos I posted in the earlier post. It was really pretty there along the water, there were a few groups of people with picnics and stuff, so that was neat too. It was starting to get a bit chilly so we headed into our room. We watched some tv, but then, uh oh, we were bored! I was expecting to be at Seaworld all night, so my plans were completely thrown off.

Finally J convinced me to go back to the bar for a few more drinks. We had a great time! No longer happy hour so margs were more expensive, but still delish. J switched over to Heineken now, his favorite. We enjoyed a few drinks, chatted with Julio and another couple who were there from Vegas. We all convinced Julio we needed some free shots, when we dropped the Honeymoon bomb it sealed the deal. So we had some shots we'd never had before called Oatmeal Cookie. Wow, just like a liquid boozy oatmeal cookie, so fantastic! We had a couple more rounds of shots, chatted about pretty much everything with the other couple and shut down the bar :thumbsup2

Well, it was only 12, but they usually close pretty early. We crashed because we had to get up the next morning for the zoo! We were pretty excited.

Next update should be Sunday, stayed tuned for lots of photos of animals that I will most likely label wrong! (Better not let your children read this because they're not going to learn anything from my science lesson!)

Silly 25 image limit, I just had to delete 5 whole smilies! So I apologize if every feeling doesn't involve a matching emoticon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter