The Canadians' Road Trip Honeymoon to DLR/California - Last update :( 8/16

I have gotten the Avacado rolls at the Cheesecake factory before and I totally agree, after about one, maybe two you are like "okay, that was good, but I've had enough"- they are a bit filling and the avocado is overwhelming. Some things there are really good and some have too much butter.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your time in SF!

Hi! I have been neglectful. It has just been SOOO hot here for the past week. I barely want to be at home (top floor condo with evening sun!) let alone spending time with my toasty laptop. Lots of hanging out in air conditioned malls/restaurants/movie theaters. After the heat wave I will continue.

:rolleyes1 Oh hay guys... guess what!? I decided I'm going to do another update when I get home from work! Jason was giving me crap last night for not finishing it. I've started working on my scrapbook instead. But I now vow to finish something before I start a new project :) So coming up, if anyone is still wanting to read it: Golden Gate Bridge and park, Sausilito and a baseball game.

I'm back. This morning we got up and trekked down to the Fisherman's Wharf Starbucks for a bite of breakfast. Yum! Then back to our hotel to hop in the car and just go random places. I took out the map and picked out a route to the golden gate bridge. That kinda worked out. It took us pass the famous Lombard zig-zag street.

IMG_0205.jpg

I love this photo. I wonder what it would be like living in one of those houses?

And I took some pictures as we drove... or as Jason drove.

IMG_0206.jpg

Then we drove through Presidio Park:

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

And caught our first glimpse of the bridge:

IMG_0210.jpg

And we managed to make it to the viewpoint :yay:

Lots of people around and it was windy and cold but sunny. There is one photo of me where my hair is just not post-worthy. And I'm really not that picky about appearance.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

And then we drove across the bridge. J didn't want to walk or bike or anything adventurous. We popped into Sausalito to walk around and do a bit of window shopping.

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

And we bought some taffy, soooooo good.

IMG_0262.jpg

And J got a red bull COLA, it tasted a lot like those little coke bottle candies.

We also had some lunch here. It was good, but nothing very memorable. So far San Fran wasn't really doing us good for food.

Then we hopped back in the car at about 1 and headed over to Golden Gate Park. It was starting to get really cold now and the sun was gone. I wasn't smart enough to bring a hoody even though I knew better. We wandered around pretty aimlessly.

Took some photos in between the museum and the kid's science museum.

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

And at the rose garden:

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

We kind of did a bad job of estimating time, so at this point we hustled back to the hotel and didn't have much time to find some dinner before heading to the A's game. I knew there was a In N Out down at the wharf, so we headed in that direction. And then we saw it..... Hooters. :rotfl2: :worship:

So we had a beer and I had boneless wings (SO GOOD!) and J had a philly cheese steak. It was our first time there, but it was the best meal we'd had in SF so far.

We kind of forgot about rush hour and figured it wouldn't be too bad by 6:30 when we left for the game, but it was pretty busy. Anyway, we arrived in Oakland just as they were throwing out the first pitch. (That wasn't this photo)

IMG_0301.jpg

We had some pretty good seats, third row just past third base. Right by where the pitchers warm up.

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

It was pretty fun and I'm glad we had such good seats.

IMG_0318.jpg

The ended up losing, which sucks because the won the games the night before and the night after!

After the game we headed back to our hotel and wanted to go for a drink, so we headed across the street to Kennedy's Irish Pub/Curry House. It was great! It was neat to be somewhere that wasn't packed full of tourists. It was happy hour so we each bought a pint for $5 and got a token for another free beer anytime. So that's $2.50 pints of beer, yay! And they had about 30 different kinds on tap. The bartender was fabulous too. It was a great end to a fun day.

It looks like you guys had a full day in SF! It's too bad you didn't get tickets for a Giants game - their ballpark is so beautiful! I love going to games there just for the park and the view. And the Irish coffee at Momo's across the street aren't bad either! :woohoo:

Here is the outside of the park:
4675_557825002360_29906113_32972367_513148_n.jpg

You get a great view of the Bay Bridge and McCovey Cove:
4675_557825042280_29906113_32972375_2057885_n.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread - I just thought you might want to keep it in mind if you ever make it back to SF. :goodvibes

Oh yeah. I saw a Giants game on tv and thought the stadium was wayyy nicer. But they weren't in town when we were there, and also tix there are wayyyy more expensive for their games. Oh well, next time! yum, I LOVE coffee drinks, it's funny I was just thinking I'd get one tonight with my dessert! We're goin out for dessert with some friends.

Wow Sarah, you're sooo close to your trip!!

I should get to another update this weekend.

This morning we went to downtown SF to do some shopping. We stopped at a little coffee shop near our hotel for breakky. Then we went to some random big mall. Jason was very brave driving in the crazy traffic not really knowing where we were going!

We mostly just window shopped, but I bought a few cheap shirts at H&M and J bought a jersey. Just as we were about to leave I was thinking about how much I spent at H&M and realized they overcharged me by $10 - doh! So we had to trek all the way back across the mall to get it fixed. Oh well, the girl who helped us was super nice, so she made up for it.

We went back to our hotel to drop off the car and headed down to In N Out (yum!) for a quick lunch before hustling all the way down to Pier 33 for our Alcatraz Tour. This is a pretty far walk, I'm not going to lie. I'm pretty good with directions and gauging distance etc, but we probably should have taken some sort of wheeled transportation!

We really enjoyed this! If you've never done the tour before, I definitely recommend it. If only for the neat scenery. I'll just add the photos we took, not much to say about them.

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_04352.jpg

IMG_04522.jpg

IMG_04542.jpg

I think we got back to the pier at about 4 o clock and walked back to the hotel. We vegged out for awhile because we were pretty tired after all the shopping and touring! That night we went to dinner by our hotel at a Belgian restaurant, La Trappe. We had some huge pots of really yummy mussels and tried some Belgian beer.

IMG_04652.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

Bavik, the Belgian Budweiser. *shrug* I hate Bud (except the new bud lite lime) but this wasn't too bad. And I think it was only about $3 a glass.

It was really dark in there! But it was pretty funky; very dungeon-like. Felt funny when we left at about 8 because it was still so light outside.

We were now starting to be sad that our trip was almost over. We still weren't homesick yet.

That night we went back to the bar across the street to use our free beer tokens. And then we headed to bed early for the long drive the next day :sad2:

We woke up at a reasonable hour on Thursday morning and checked out of our hotel. We decided to drive til we got hungry before stopping for breakfast.

Lucky for us, we found a.... Mimi's! In Fairfield (I think). It was a nice goodbye to our trip, and reminded us of Disneyland. EXCEPT they nearly ruined my good memories of Mimi's. I ordered my same favorite thing I had eaten about a bazillion times by that point, but it was 1/2 the size, AND COLD! Grr. I never ever complain at restaurants, but I was so disappointed I asked for a fresh warm one. Then it was much better :cloud9:

I thought of the jellybelly factory, but we had a long drive to make it up to Portland.

This day actually went by pretty quickly, we were getting used to the long drives. We actually saw a few neat things too, so that helps.

Look how close this plane was to the highway, it was crazy!

IMG_04662.jpg

IMG_04672.jpg

Then we saw a truck for something we never even knew existed. (Sorry, and no offense, but this just seems so American!)

IMG_04692.jpg

The boredom induced artistic foot photo:

IMG_0470.jpg

We really enjoyed seeing this, although I forget where it is... Northern Cali or Southern Oregon?

IMG_04722.jpg

It was just so pretty for a change. Oh wait, if I'd look at my photos I'd figure it out. It's North Cali because the pic came before my photos of Mt Shasta. Ta-da.

Saw some puppies in the back of a truck:

IMG_04732.jpg

And here it is. So pretty!

IMG_04772.jpg

IMG_04792.jpg

We stopped in Weed for a potty break. And then stopped in Medford for more Taco Bell, whee!

After some confusing directions, we finally made it to the Fairfield Inn in North Portland. Right on the river, nice.

IMG_04802.jpg

IMG_04812.jpg

IMG_04822.jpg

Really funky room! Nice tv, the pool looked nice although we didn't use it.

We're actually thinking about taking a short trip down to Portland this fall. See a basketball game and explore a bit. It's only about a 5 hour drive from the ferry, so it's reasonable for a long weekend.

We were starving, so asked the desk guy for a recommendation to a nice pub. It took us over the bridge to Vancouver, WA to a place called McMenamins. It's apparently a pretty big "local chain" in OR/WA. It was really good! We both had burgers (veggie for me!) and they were super cheap and yummy. No pics due to my starvingness. But I did get a pic of this:

IMG_04852.jpg

Our Beer Fleet. Yum! The raspberry one was really good.

And we managed to make it to dessert tonight, we had a black and tan brownie. Yum again!

We headed back to the hotel stuffed and sleepy. It was a really nice way to spend the last night of our trip!

-------------------------

The next morning we got up fairly early just because we wanted to get home at a reasonable hour.

We had some free continental breakfast and headed out across the bridge and into Washington.

I didn't take any pics during the drive this time. I forget where we ate lunch today... hmm. Maybe we just snacked? I will ask Jason.

We had a great time at the border. The guy was super helpful in directing us to the line where no one was waiting! But we did get asked a lot of questions. For some reason he couldn't quite get his head wrapped around the fact that yes, we did drive our car down to California AND back. No, we didn't get the car down there after we flew down. No, we also didn't make any modifications while we were there. Seriously, my car really just looks stock. Oh well, we were still only there for about 10 minutes.

At this point is was probably about 20 after 3 and we were expecting to get on the 5 o clock ferry. However, when we drove past the sign at 3:40, it said the 4 was only 50% full! Wow! So we arrived at 10 to 4 and drove right on the ferry. We were so excited, because waiting in line for an hour is always annoying when all you want to do by this point is just get home!

Some views from the ferry.

IMG_04872.jpg

I forget what mountain that is. It's in the states though... Mt St Helens maybe? Sorry.

IMG_04892.jpg

That's a whale! A real live wilderness whale. Heh. We were pretty excited. Sorry that J didn't capture and better photos.

IMG_04943.jpg

A passing ferry.

And the last photo of the trip. Our sad faces because we don't want to go home.

IMG_04882.jpg

It was windy, hence the hair :eek:

And an hour and a half later, we were back on the island.

Thanks for reading our fabulous honeymoon trip report! Two and 1/2 months since the wedding yesterday and we keep talking about the trip we're going to take next!

Great Trip report. I can't believe you stopped in Fairfield, that is where I grew up. In fact I grew up 2 miles away from the 680 to 80 interchange. Nice little area called Green Valley. I've eaten at the MiMi's several times. My mom likes to go there on Sundays for Mimosa breakfast. Loved the pics of Shasta, always a beautiful mountain. We used to houseboat there when I was a kid. All in all not too bad a trip home. Even though it means your trip is over. :sad1:

Awesome trip report! Oh, and that is Mt. Baker by the way, I can see it from my parents living room window when I am over there :)

I am like the Border Patrol guy- I too am amazed that you drove all the way to California and back :). It sounds like you had a wonderful, amazing trip and got to see lots of neat cities. Congrats on the wedding and I am glad you have a great honeymoon memory now too! :banana:

Thanks for the report!

Great trip report!! It looks like the two of you had a great time, and even better, you are married now and will continue to have great times for years to come. :goodvibes

It's too bad about the Giants game, but you have something new to do if you ever come back to SF. :)

Awesome trip report! Oh, and that is Mt. Baker by the way, I can see it from my parents living room window when I am over there :)

Oh, yup. I knew that ;) Thanks. Cool to see another person from Victoria on here!

Yeah Docter, we saw lots of houseboats down there! Neat. It seems like it's so in the middle of nowhere. Ooh, I missed the mimosas, lol. Coffee is probably more suitable for a long day of driving :rolleyes1

It was a long drive, but totally worth it! We had a fabulous time. Now just to keep saving up for the next trip... whereever that may be!

Just found your pre-trip report. Loved it. Some of your San Diego and Disneyland statements/pictures/things done reminded me of the trip my DH & I took in May 2009. I am so happy you liked the BW Island Palms. Seeing the picture of the room brought back such wonderful memories (we stayed in that same room). We only had 2 days in San Diego but are in the process of planning an 8 night trip there in May 2010. I got some good ideas from your report of what to do and where to eat & drink ;) while we are there.

I loved your pictures. What type of camera do you have? Mine is getting old and I am thinking about getting a new one.

Thanks redsox.

We just got a new camera before our trip. It's a Canon Powershot SX110is. It was $300 canadian. It's a larger sized point and shoot that actually allows you to set a lot of things manually, but will still fit in a purse. We really like it! We had a cheaper point and shoot before that just never took very good photos. This one seems to be pretty good on auto.

Have fun on your next trip! I think our next big thing will be moving from our condo to a house, so we might take a year off of big trips.

Hi Kelsey! I am coming in extremely late in your TR. I'm new to the Disneyland side of the Dis, so I just found your TR while doing research for our upcoming Disneyland trip. Hope I won't over-comment, but I'm on page 6 and couldn't wait any longer.

I am LOVING your TR for a few reasons.

1 - I live in Redding, CA so I'm sure that you drove right through here on your road trip. We drive to Southern Cal all the time so I really enjoyed your photos of the drive. I can't believe you drove all the way from Medford to SD in one day! Very impressive. :worship:

2 - I used to live in SD. Actually in Point Loma which is right next to Shelter Island. All of your SD photos are making me SO homesick right now. You did a really good job of seeing a lot of great stuff in the couple of days that you were there.

3 - My sister got married almost 2 years ago. She had here wedding in Balboa Park and she had her reception at the San Diego Zoo in one of the sit-down restaurants there. It was such a fun day! So all of your pictures of those 2 places were so great to see.

Ok, sorry to hijack your thread but I just could not wait any longer to comment. I'm so happy for you that you had a nice wedding & honeymoon. :goodvibes

Hi Kelsey! I am coming in extremely late in your TR. I'm new to the Disneyland side of the Dis, so I just found your TR while doing research for our upcoming Disneyland trip. Hope I won't over-comment, but I'm on page 6 and couldn't wait any longer.

I am LOVING your TR for a few reasons.

1 - I live in Redding, CA so I'm sure that you drove right through here on your road trip. We drive to Southern Cal all the time so I really enjoyed your photos of the drive. I can't believe you drove all the way from Medford to SD in one day! Very impressive. :worship:

2 - I used to live in SD. Actually in Point Loma which is right next to Shelter Island. All of your SD photos are making me SO homesick right now. You did a really good job of seeing a lot of great stuff in the couple of days that you were there.

3 - My sister got married almost 2 years ago. She had here wedding in Balboa Park and she had her reception at the San Diego Zoo in one of the sit-down restaurants there. It was such a fun day! So all of your pictures of those 2 places were so great to see.

Ok, sorry to hijack your thread but I just could not wait any longer to comment. I'm so happy for you that you had a nice wedding & honeymoon. :goodvibes

Hi! Thanks for commenting. Yup, we definitely drove through Redding! It was a looooong drive that second day, but we survived. Our bartender at our hotel lived in Point Loma, haha. What a cool wedding your sister had - balboa park is gorgeous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter