The Canadians' Road Trip Honeymoon to DLR/California - Last update :( 8/16

A month and a day til we leave! I've been pretty preoccupied with the pesky wedding. Getting in the way of my trip planning!:eek:

But I have most of the trip planned I guess. Wish I had something else to write about, but I really don't right now.

Oh wait! Yes I do have a small change to our plans. In San Diego, we booked a way nicer hotel, top ten on tripadvisor for $104 per night. It's on the water and pretty and not in icky Hotel Circle like before. I'm pretty excited for that. I'm also going to try and get as many free upgrades as possible... it IS our honeymoon after all. But I'm pretty shy in that kinda situation, so it'll be a big thing for me to ask for that, but I'll try.

It sounds like you have a great trip planned; I'm so excited for you! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage as well! :)

For the Napa Rose, my husband (also a Jason) and I ate there on our honeymoon. I would highly recommend it. It was probably $200 with taxes and tip but it was worth every penny. Our thought was that we were on our honeymoon and would proabably never do it again. It's your honeymoon - splurge a little! :)

Thats awesome that you upgraded to a nicer hotel! It's so worth it in situations like that. And don't be shy about saying is your honeymoon. I'm pretty shy, so I let DH do most of the talking - and the pins while we were in the park, haha. We were a little like that at first, but it got is a great room, ground floor like we wanted, and also a sweet red convertible for a rental car, for only a few $$ extra!! Also, free dessert at a ton of places :goodvibes. So go on, tell the world. It just makes people all giddy to hear that you're on your honeymoon. :cool1:

Thats awesome that you upgraded to a nicer hotel! It's so worth it in situations like that. And don't be shy about saying is your honeymoon. I'm pretty shy, so I let DH do most of the talking - and the pins while we were in the park, haha. We were a little like that at first, but it got is a great room, ground floor like we wanted, and also a sweet red convertible for a rental car, for only a few $$ extra!! Also, free dessert at a ton of places :goodvibes. So go on, tell the world. It just makes people all giddy to hear that you're on your honeymoon. :cool1:

We also got a ton of free drinks! We wore our bride and groom ears and the bartenders at ESPN Zone gave us free shots and random people in the bar would buy us champagne. It was awesome! :yay:

It sounds like you have a great trip planned; I'm so excited for you! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage as well! :)

For the Napa Rose, my husband (also a Jason) and I ate there on our honeymoon. I would highly recommend it. It was probably $200 with taxes and tip but it was worth every penny. Our thought was that we were on our honeymoon and would proabably never do it again. It's your honeymoon - splurge a little! :)

Thanks! We've really been hemming and hawwing over what we want to splurge on/what we want to save on.

We also got a ton of free drinks! We wore our bride and groom ears and the bartenders at ESPN Zone gave us free shots and random people in the bar would buy us champagne. It was awesome! :yay:

Alright, I will take your advice and milk it for all it's worth :-)scared: I hate that saying... ick). I reeeeally don't think I will convince my Jason to wear the groom ears! I may just have to like, sneak attack them onto his head or something, then not let him look in the mirror. But if I tell him it will get us free drinks and dessert, it just might work. :woohoo: He would probably wear a pin. Unlikely: a creative matching disneymoon t-shirt.

Ok, my fun weekend is over. Had a great time with my shower, so spoiled! It was nice for family and friends to all meet each other. Now for the next instalment in my trip report:

San Francisco

This will be the third and last destination of our trip. We will have two full days here and the night we arrive. This will probably be the most laid back part of our trip – no theme parks!

We only have two “must-do”s here: 1. Alcatraz tour. Probably the night-time one as we’ve heard it’s more interesting. 2. Rent bikes and bike across the Golden Gate Bridge (then take the ferry back from either Tiburon or Sausilito after having lunch). We’ll also probably stop in Golden Gate Park (My Dad says there’s some pretty gardens there… and we’ll probably need breaks!)

We also want to check out: Fisherman’s Wharf (I know people say its tacky), China Town, Union Square and maybe visit Lombard Street (the zigzag hill one) and ride a trolley. Also, enjoy some good food and soak up the atmosphere.

Since we don’t have a ton of plans, if anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

Last night, Jason and I finally got to spend some time together. Got Noodle Box takeout and watched Monsters Inc. We went to bed early; I was even too tired to talk about the trip!

Next instalment: Onto the good stuff - our plans for Disneyland!

Golden Gate Park is HUGE and really fun. Fisherman's Wharf is fun, too. I love to see the Sea Lion's. It actually used to be a real Marina until the sea lions moved in and made it impossible for the boats to dock. They are really territorial.

Check out the Cable Cars (NOT Trolleys) and the cable car museum if you can. It shows how the cable cars actually work and is FREE.

Take a coat - I kid you not - for the Alcatraz tour. On the boat you will freeze if you do not have a winter coat. A lot of people end up in San Francisco in the summer thinking it will be warm. It is not warm in the summer! DH and our oldest DS did the Alcatraz tour and our son did not believe his Dad when he told him he would need a coat. At least he had a hoodie and a wind breaker. He was way better off than the tourists that were wearing tanks and shorts.

If you go to China Town check out the fortune cookie factory. I'm sorry I can't remember the street it's on, but I am sure if you google it you could find it. It is in a little alleyway and is totally fun to see them make the cookies by hand. Yes, by hand. They are not all automated. You can buy some there and they charge you for taking pictures - but actually watching them make the cookies is free. And they give you some samples. Did I mention that they make chocolate fortune cookies??? ;)

I can't remember where it is but the Palace of Fine Arts and the Japanese Tea Garden are fun places to see in San Francisco. I'm thinking PFA is by the Golden Gate Bridge and the tea garden is in Golden Gate Park??? Sorry, not very helpful about WHERE they are - just that they are there.

If you have a chance go try some Dim Sum. Yummy Cantonese tea lunch. Try Yelp dot com to check out some good places. They usually have really good reviews.

Okay, no other suggestions. DH was born and raised in SF, so we have been there more times than I can remember. He just does the driving, so I don't always remember exactly where things are. :upsidedow And we don't always go and do the same things when we are there.

Another newbie reader joining in :)

Your plans so great so far, im sure you will have a fantastic honeymoon, look forward to reading more :)

Wow, thanks so much Brady's Mom! I'll print that off for our reference!

Hi Sarah, thanks for joining in.

We're both getting really excited about the trip. This weekend we're having our bachelor and bachelorette parties, so it should be a fun one. Then we have a few little last minute things to do. Next week we will just be waiting patiently... or nervously for the big day! I'm sad because I had to take my engagement ring into to get a bit of it ground down so it sits closer to my wedding band, so I'll be ringless for my party! But that's okay.

Sometime after the wedding I'm going to call and make a few Priority Seatings and book the alcatraz tour and the trolley tour in San Diego. Then I'll have to start thinking about packing. Ahh! :scared1: Although, I do slightly prefer packing over unpacking.

Yay! You'll have sooooo much fun at your bachelorette party! Maybe you can post an "appropriate" picture from it? HAHA! One of my girlfriends took all the pictures at my party and then gave it to me on a CD so I could deem which ones that people could see! :lmao:

Packing was a nightmare for me. I had to pack for so many different things since I took it to our wedding location with me too. I ended up forgetting a sweater, of all things, for the cooler weather. Its all nerves and all fun at this point! We're all so happy for you and your DFi! But I do agree, unpacking is much less fun! Although, you'll be unpacking with your HUSBAND! Have fun learning to say that word! :rotfl:

blabbermouth,

Here is a link to an E-How article my DH wrote about San Francisco's hidden treasures. It has some good info and gives a few more details about the things I mentioned in the pp. It is from a native San Franciscan's point of view.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4607391_san-franciscos-hidden-treasures.html

Hope it helps! Have a great trip.

Hey! That is so awesome. And I had to LOL at his name: Mr Potato Head!

Yay! You'll have sooooo much fun at your bachelorette party! Maybe you can post an "appropriate" picture from it? HAHA! One of my girlfriends took all the pictures at my party and then gave it to me on a CD so I could deem which ones that people could see! :lmao:

Packing was a nightmare for me. I had to pack for so many different things since I took it to our wedding location with me too. I ended up forgetting a sweater, of all things, for the cooler weather. Its all nerves and all fun at this point! We're all so happy for you and your DFi! But I do agree, unpacking is much less fun! Although, you'll be unpacking with your HUSBAND! Have fun learning to say that word! :rotfl:

I've threatened my friends sufficiently so I hope they don't do anything TOO embarrassing.

Haha, technically I will be packing WITH my husband too, since we're not leaving til three weeks after the wedding... but it'll probably be more like packing FOR my husband. Just gotta bring a lot of stuff for 2 weeks, I don't plan on doing any laundry while I'm gone!

And I'm having a hard enough time calling him my fiance and not my boyfriend! It usually comes out like 'B-fiance'.:laughing:

I can't even imagine how excited you must be for your wedding now. Have great fun at your Bacherlorette party, we call them Hen do's and stags for the men over here deffiently prefer your name for them :thumbsup2

Arghh packing can be such a pain, im one of them people who even though i have checked, checked and checked again always feels like they have forgotten something and i never have enough room in my cases for everything though its not quite as bad as unpacking, gawd i really hate that :headache:

Heehee, hen do makes me think of like all the ladies standing around pecking at grain :lmao:

I had a blast! We went and got an old time photo done, we all dressed up as saloon girls. Went out for dinner. Went and took some salsa dancing lessons where my friends sufficiently embarassed me. They got the instructors to call me up with some random guy and made us dance in the middle while everyone watched :scared: But it was a lot of fun. Then we went to our favorite club, yay! I felt a little bit :sick: yesterday, but I remember everything and didn't get sick, so it's all good.

Jason also had a fun night as his bachelor party. His cousin made him a shirt in bright orange like a prison jumpsuit with "Property of Kelsey" on the front, and our wedding date as his "inmate number" on the back. He also had a "ball and chain" tied to his wrist. He said it weighed like 10 lbs, and he had to toss it over his shoulder when he went to pee! :eek: He went for a motorcycle ride, a game of golf, to watch the UFC fight/eat dinner and then to a club. I think he was a very good boy, probably better than me!

I'll see if I have an appropriate photos to add, but I'm not very photogenic when I'm drinking!

Only 5 sleeps til I'm married!

So, I'm just joining and haven't read all of it yet...BUT in response to San Diego (I go to school in SD!) - if you're wanting good Mexican food, I'd go to Old Town. There are a whole slew of good Mexican restaurants! As for Sea World, I haven't been in several years, but last time I went, it was at night, which was awesome! All of the shows are still going, it isn't not, you won't get sunburned and all the families with small children are leaving! AND, there are fireworks! Anyways, back to reading the rest!

So, I'm just joining and haven't read all of it yet...BUT in response to San Diego (I go to school in SD!) - if you're wanting good Mexican food, I'd go to Old Town. There are a whole slew of good Mexican restaurants! As for Sea World, I haven't been in several years, but last time I went, it was at night, which was awesome! All of the shows are still going, it isn't not, you won't get sunburned and all the families with small children are leaving! AND, there are fireworks! Anyways, back to reading the rest!

Hey! That is great advice to go at night. Plus it gives us more daylight time to do other things. I think we'll definitely do that. And Old Town Mexican food is on our list for sure!

How exciting!!! Only four more days till the I Do's! Congratulations! I just read your ptr and how exciting to honeymoon in the Happiest Place on Earth! You will have so much fun! It sounds like your bachelorette and bachelor parties were a blast! I can't wait to read more! Good luck with everything!

How exciting!!! Only four more days till the I Do's! Congratulations! I just read your ptr and how exciting to honeymoon in the Happiest Place on Earth! You will have so much fun! It sounds like your bachelorette and bachelor parties were a blast! I can't wait to read more! Good luck with everything!

Hi! Thanks for reading.

We're getting to crunch time now. Last night we went out and bought all the alcohol. Wow, filled up the whole trunk of my SUV with wine, beer, cider and champagne! We decided not to have hard alcohol, just keep it simple. It was kind of fun to go buy so much stuff.

Tonight I'm going to go get a pedicure, and tomorrow I'm getting a manicure. J's sister and nephew arrive today, so we're going to his Mom's place for dinner. And before we know it we'll be Mrs and Mr!

And then we still gotta wait three weeks til our honeymoon. Silly... who planned it this way... oh, me? That's okay, it'll give us time to get settled after the wedding. I have an exam on the 11th and then we have a week and a half to get ready/shop before we go. Time will fly I'm sure.

As for trip news, all I have is: We're going to go to SeaWorld in the evening because it's open til 10. We'll probably head over at about 4 or 5 and catch some dinner there (even if it's crappy). It'll give us most of the day to do other stuff... and sleep in.

Forgot to add that my coworkers threw me a big wedding shower party! It was such a surprise. I came up to my desk after my break and it was decorated, there was flowers, 2 cakes and a ton of food. And they pooled together and gave us $250 US! Whee! So thoughtful. It was a fun day, didn't get much work done though.

YAY! You get married soon!!!!!!! :cool1:

Have sooo much fun on your trip. I can't wait to read about the wedding and your honeymoon, already!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter