The *ALL NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *APRIL 2009*

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading through this thread, to say that I am now totally addicted to planning my first visit to the Poly is an understatement. We have only been back for a week from a 9 day stay at POP and I am already in planning mode.
DH and I have always LOVED the Poly and visit there everytime we are in WDW. We have never stayed there though, and vowed after this last trip (got sick of the buses really fast) that our next would be at the Poly, so we could take full advantage of the monorial (which my DS loves anyway) and besides we've never stayed at a Deluxe! This time we want to do TPV, DxDP. No holds barred we want to go all out!!
He is addicted to WDW as me so has giving me the green light to start planning! :woohoo:

First things first, is saving up! We want to go next April during DS and DD school vacation week (4/26-4/30) so that gives me about 10 months (since you have to be paid in full 45 days before) to put the savings plan in motion!

I'd love to hear feedback on the best buildings with TPV rooms, also are all TPV rooms located on upper floors with a balcony?? Just a few of the questions I am sure I will have over the next 11 months!!!!!

We booked our April Spring Break 2009 trip at the Poly about this time in 2008, so I know what it feels like! Reading the posts on this thread made the 11 months go by very quickly -- really! I hope you love it there -- it is such a nice and relaxing place, right in the middle of WDW!:cloud9:

Leaving in 2 days for our "couples only" romance trip to the Poly!!! :cool1::cool1:

First time there, so what little things should we try NOT to miss at the Poly? :love::love:

Sara

Check out the hammocks on the beaches -- they are so relaxing. Around dinnertime, the beach clears out and it is a nice, romantic spot. Also, go to the beach in front of Tahiti -- it's off to the side so when we were there we were the only people on that beach one evening! :)

Hi everyone--it has taken awhile to read through this thread--what great info!!! We are taking a cruise this summer and due to some wonderful price drops I convinced DH to go to WDW for 2 nights :cheer2::cheer2:. We originally booked at the Dolphin with a great nurse rate ... but then the summer rates came out and we switched to the Poly!!! I am sooo excited and am loving reading up on the resort. I booked a GV room and requested Tokelau or Rapa Nui facing Tahiti. I just can't wait--I only wish we could stay longer!!

Wow -- the Poly sounds like a great complement to a cruise -- it still has that "laid back" feeling to it!:)

After reading through this thread, to say that I am now totally addicted to planning my first visit to the Poly is an understatement. We have only been back for a week from a 9 day stay at POP and I am already in planning mode.
DH and I have always LOVED the Poly and visit there everytime we are in WDW. We have never stayed there though, and vowed after this last trip (got sick of the buses really fast) that our next would be at the Poly, so we could take full advantage of the monorial (which my DS loves anyway) and besides we've never stayed at a Deluxe! This time we want to do TPV, DxDP. No holds barred we want to go all out!!
He is addicted to WDW as me so has giving me the green light to start planning! :woohoo:

First things first, is saving up! We want to go next April during DS and DD school vacation week (4/26-4/30) so that gives me about 10 months (since you have to be paid in full 45 days before) to put the savings plan in motion!

I'd love to hear feedback on the best buildings with TPV rooms, also are all TPV rooms located on upper floors with a balcony?? Just a few of the questions I am sure I will have over the next 11 months!!!!!

YAY! Glad you're planning on staying at our favorite resort. I reccomend checking out the Tikiman's pages. He has a break down of every longhouse with detailed info of the pros and cons and room pictures and layouts. Here is the link http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/
My favorite longhouse is Hawaii (but that is club level only) so my second favorite is Tahiti. You have a Theme park view, a beach, and balconies on every level, patios on first floor, plus the rooms are HUGE.
You're going to have so much fun!!!:banana:

Aloha! It's me again. We have enjoyed the resort and enjoyed the parks! There is one drawback to staying here at the poly, my kids want to swim after all day at the park! It seems that the poly rejuvinates them. Darn pretty resort! Parks got a little busy in the last couple days, had to wait 20 minutes for expedition everest (LOL). I've met lots of travelers in the Resort. They all seem happy and content! The punch in cl yuuumee! (so my wife says) any questions you have I will try to find answer for you guys.:cloud9: Aloha

Can y'all help me fall in love with the Poly?
I know, I ought to have my booty kicked. I'm booked for 5 nights at the Poly next week and I'm anxious and unsure and waffling. This is a very last minute trip and a first time at a deluxe resort, only second time ever on property. I was torn between WL, BC, AKL and Poly. Hubby nixed BC outright for reason reason. BC was considered for SAB. I booked on a spring discount code last week at very last second after convincing workaholic husband that we needed a vacation after 2.5 years. But why aren't I settled on it?? I can't get AKL out of my mind but my discount won't transfer and it will increase my bill $300-400 dollars. I'd love the animals but worry about the "remoteness" for my girls, 5 & 7 but thought hubby might like a place a tad more secluded and restful (is it?) They are all about the pool and the volcano excited them tho I've read that pool is small and might be extremely crowded. I also have kin that has asked to be moved from Poly due to "noise, smell and filth." She also said the pool was old and in need of repair. I've been on every site and read great reviews but it's that one, plus she said she had two friends that also have asked to be moved, that stick in my mind.

So I'm asking you obvious Poly lovers, help me fall in love with this choice!!
(Oh, we're not so much into the parks so location isn't a biggie--probably AK and DD maybe Epcot but not MK. I'm also worried about late check in--after 10:30pm and getting a crappy room)

I know, I ought to have my booty kicked. I'm booked for 5 nights at the Poly next week and I'm anxious and unsure and waffling. This is a very last minute trip and a first time at a deluxe resort, only second time ever on property. I was torn between WL, BC, AKL and Poly. Hubby nixed BC outright for reason reason. BC was considered for SAB. I booked on a spring discount code last week at very last second after convincing workaholic husband that we needed a vacation after 2.5 years. But why aren't I settled on it?? I can't get AKL out of my mind but my discount won't transfer and it will increase my bill $300-400 dollars. I'd love the animals but worry about the "remoteness" for my girls, 5 & 7 but thought hubby might like a place a tad more secluded and restful (is it?) They are all about the pool and the volcano excited them tho I've read that pool is small and might be extremely crowded. I also have kin that has asked to be moved from Poly due to "noise, smell and filth." She also said the pool was old and in need of repair. I've been on every site and read great reviews but it's that one, plus she said she had two friends that also have asked to be moved, that stick in my mind.

(Oh, we're not so much into the parks so location isn't a biggie--probably AK and DD maybe Epcot but not MK. I'm also worried about late check in--after 10:30pm and getting a crappy room)

OK first of all take a deep breath!

You are over thinking your decision to the point of exhaustion. From what you have explained I get the feeling that you are looking for a relaxing stay and the Poly is perfect for that.

Every resort has negative reviews at times. If there is an issue of cleanliness bring it to the resorts attention so they can rectify it immediately. Personally I think they have done a great job of upkeep at the Poly.

The pool is wonderful as well as the beach. There is nothing better than being able to relax on the beach and watch the fireworks and the Electric Water Pageant.

I hope you can stop stressing and get excited for your trip. It sounds like you and your family are ready for some R&R.

Have a wonderful trip! :wizard:

Also, check out the Poly Pics thread and the tiki website that is listed a couple posts above to get some more info!

I've only visited the AKL while staying at WL, but never stayed there, but IMO it is definitely not worth paying MORE to stay at. You lose the monorail and it's not really handy to much. The POLY is just so beautiful. I can't imagine you'll be disappointed. Just read through the posts in this thread, and I'm sure you'll put your worries to rest.

For those who have been at the Poly recently--- Was channel 96 available in the room? That's the channel with all of the Disney cartoons. The same channel they play in the children's waiting area in the hotel lobbies.

My kids loved it when we were at the BC a couple of years ago. A great way to zone out and relax for a while.

I just got off the phone with ADR. What a nightmare. On the phone over an hour and I didn't get all of the adv's I wanted. I got called out of town for work and couldn't call until 8:00 pm. I couldn't get a reservation until 8:55 pm for Ohana's. This is the hotel where we are staying. So upset. Today is 90 days out for us.

Sorry for venting.

I just got off the phone with ADR. What a nightmare. On the phone over an hour and I didn't get all of the adv's I wanted. I got called out of town for work and couldn't call until 8:00 pm. I couldn't get a reservation until 8:55 pm for Ohana's. This is the hotel where we are staying. So upset. Today is 90 days out for us.

Sorry for venting.

Keep calling back and see if they have a cancellation. If not when you get there, try changing times. It doesn't hurt to ask.

So today DH and I were discussing about the possibilty of just biting the bullet and just going Lagoon view for our trip. I went over the plans with him and then I figured out that we (3 of us)can do the Wildlife Excursion, MNSSSHP twice, the Pirate and Pal cruise and still have about $300 to spare by keeping our CL garden view.

Not like we were going to change these plans if we did upgrade but it put it in a clearer perspective for me. Now I don't feel like I am shortchanging our CL experience.

I got all my requests off to the IPO office this weekend and it feels good knowing that they are dealing with all these things for me considering the bad reviews of the new ADR system :confused3

I am looking forward to getting the plans finalized and having a great summer here in Chicago. Before I know it, we will be packing for Disney.:dance3:

Im getting so excited that I cant sleep! We leave on Saturday to drive to Kansas City and then catch our flight early Sunday! If I dont get some sleep Im going to end up sleeping my vacation away LOL I have managed not to tell my family about the surprise MK view upgrade that I bought, or the limo that I booked, or our 10 yr old daughters BBB appointment!

Im getting so excited that I cant sleep! We leave on Saturday to drive to Kansas City and then catch our flight early Sunday! If I dont get some sleep Im going to end up sleeping my vacation away LOL I have managed not to tell my family about the surprise MK view upgrade that I bought, or the limo that I booked, or our 10 yr old daughters BBB appointment!
WooHoo!!!:yay:
I'm excited for you!
Have a GREAT trip!
Hope you post a Trip Report so we can all see how magical everything was!
Gretchen

:banana: It sounds like you have a really magical trip planned!:wizard: No wonder why you're having trouble sleeping!:banana: I hope you get some sleep so you can stay up at night and watch the castle changing colors!:cloud9:

I visited AKL on our last trip in Sept. '08 and decided I'd even have to seriously think about staying there is someone offered to PAY for my stay! Did not like the remote location at all and the lobby area seemed sooooooo dark. I'm not that "into" the animals and their habitat ... good to look at for an hour or so, but can't imagine giving up the beautiful Poly grounds for AKL. Now ... a good friend of my daughter just LOVES staying there with her 3 children ... they even liked the rooster that crowed every morning at sunrise and woke them up!
The Poly is absolutely beautiful. We've never had a problem with clean rooms; have even asked Mousekeeping to pass us by for the day. Location isn't just for MK. A short walk to Transportation center and you can catch the monorail to EPCOT with almost no wait. We've even gone to Hollywood Studios via boat from EPCOT. Food is great and we've always been served promptly. Main pool is crowded at times. We used the "quiet" pool and on one afternoon (in Sept.) there were only 3 other people enjoying the pool with us. You'll be able to watch MK fireworks every night if you want too and the beach area is so peaceful early in the morning. Loved watching sunrise from there.
I really think you'll love the Poly as much as the rest of us do. It's like getting two vacations in one ... WDW in a tropical setting. What more could you ask for? ENJOY!

yay! Glad you're planning on staying at our favorite resort. I reccomend checking out the tikiman's pages. He has a break down of every longhouse with detailed info of the pros and cons and room pictures and layouts. Here is the link http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/
my favorite longhouse is hawaii (but that is club level only) so my second favorite is tahiti. You have a theme park view, a beach, and balconies on every level, patios on first floor, plus the rooms are huge.
You're going to have so much fun!!!:banana:

thanks!!

Hi everyone--it has taken awhile to read through this thread--what great info!!! We are taking a cruise this summer and due to some wonderful price drops I convinced DH to go to WDW for 2 nights :cheer2::cheer2:. We originally booked at the Dolphin with a great nurse rate ... but then the summer rates came out and we switched to the Poly!!! I am sooo excited and am loving reading up on the resort. I booked a GV room and requested Tokelau or Rapa Nui facing Tahiti. I just can't wait--I only wish we could stay longer!!

Sounds like a wonderful combination and I love your room request...that's a beautiful, quiet area of the resort.

We live closer to Detroit Metropolitan Airport than Tess does so we are sleeping at home tonight. I'm all packed except for a few items that will be added to a carry on in the very early am. We'll pick up our granddaughters on the way to the airport.

Tess and her family are on an earlier flight than ours so they will be over in Epcot by the time we land in Orlando.

We'll be carrying ponchos for all in a backpack. It looks like the long dry spell has finally ended. Here's hoping the showers are brief and not too many thunderstorms. Every single day in the 15 day forecast now shows some kind of rain.

Have a great trip! :cool1:

Aloha!

Aloha! It's me again. We have enjoyed the resort and enjoyed the parks! There is one drawback to staying here at the poly, my kids want to swim after all day at the park! It seems that the poly rejuvinates them. Darn pretty resort! Parks got a little busy in the last couple days, had to wait 20 minutes for expedition everest (LOL). I've met lots of travelers in the Resort. They all seem happy and content! The punch in cl yuuumee! (so my wife says) any questions you have I will try to find answer for you guys.:cloud9: Aloha

Any signs of the rumored cabanas?

For those who have been at the Poly recently--- Was channel 96 available in the room? That's the channel with all of the Disney cartoons. The same channel they play in the children's waiting area in the hotel lobbies.

My kids loved it when we were at the BC a couple of years ago. A great way to zone out and relax for a while.

96 was working when we were there in January. :thumbsup2

So today DH and I were discussing about the possibilty of just biting the bullet and just going Lagoon view for our trip. I went over the plans with him and then I figured out that we (3 of us)can do the Wildlife Excursion, MNSSSHP twice, the Pirate and Pal cruise and still have about $300 to spare by keeping our CL garden view.

Not like we were going to change these plans if we did upgrade but it put it in a clearer perspective for me. Now I don't feel like I am shortchanging our CL experience.

I got all my requests off to the IPO office this weekend and it feels good knowing that they are dealing with all these things for me considering the bad reviews of the new ADR system :confused3

I am looking forward to getting the plans finalized and having a great summer here in Chicago. Before I know it, we will be packing for Disney.:dance3:

Sounds like a great decision. You're right...the time will fly!

You're getting so close. I'd be excited too. Good luck keeping the secrets.:goodvibes

I've stayed at both AKL and the Poly (just was there the last week of April). I think both resorts are nice as a resort only. My biggest complaint with AKL is the location. It is far from everything but AK & BB. You said you don't care too much about MK but have you ever seen the fireworks from the beach while your kids can play in the sand? Or walk over to the TTC to take the monorail to Epcot? And since you are on the monorail line, you have lots of opportunities to ask to sit up front (so if it is taken, just ask the next time). Poly offers the marina too while AKL does not. I also enjoy taking the monorail to the Grand Floridian and to the Contemporary to eat, shop, and look around (and the GF offers a movie on the beach at night too - just a walk or monorail ride away!). You can also take relaxing boatrides from the Poly to MK. With 5 & 7 year olds, I'm sure you'll hit MK!

Nothing against AKL or any other place I've stayed - they all have their pros & cons. But this is your vacation! You've picked a good place and just relax and enjoy it! As far as pools, if you think the volcano pool is too crowded, pop on over to the quiet pool - they both offer different types of swimming experiences. So relax, order a Fusion Lemonade, and take in the tiki torches. And HAVE FUN!!!! :goodvibes

Was this question answered as I need to know if we should bring some too..
Thanks.

Hi NJBill! Sorry, I thought I answered this a bit ago but I may have forgotten! The campfire at the GF is nightly at 8:00pm (at least it is in APril), and you can either buy a smores pack or bring your own. I brought my own so I didn't catch the price. It was one of the highlights of our trip. The walk over to the GF, the torches, the music and the GF staff were fabulous. We will definitely do it again on our next visit. Plus it is followed by a movie under the stars if you like that! The views of the Poly at night from the GF beach were such a neat perspective :) You'll love it!

Yes, the channel was still available. We watched it a few times, lots of vintage mickey mouse and goofy cartoons!

I also wanted to add that we also had problems with the 30 minute free arcade card. It didn't work in any game we tried! A nice CM finally came over and swiped his card and let my daughter play 5 games with his card. He was really sweet :)

So I'm crossing my fingers for making it back to WDW next February. I'm putting money away out of each paycheck and not eating out as much and trying to cut corners to see if I can afford it. My plan is to spend the first two nights at a value resort, then spend the next 5 nights at the Poly.:love: For those of you who have done a split stay, how does that work? Will they move your luggage from one resort to the other? I was also thinking of maybe just taking a taxi and bringing my luggage with me, checking into the Poly real early and heading off to the MK for the day. Either way, wish me luck that I can make it there next year. Thinking about it gets me through those tough days that I have another magical trip to get excited about! My DD will be at her Dad's this weekend so I will make a real attempt at uploading some pics (I feel like I've said this before!)

Does anyone know when the rates come out for next year, and when you can start booking for 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter