The ALL NEW Disney's Contemporary Resort FAQ with PICTURES! (APR 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

just wanted to ask a few things about things to buy.

are Autograph books available and how much do they cost?
also do they sell suitcases? i remember they had them last time, just wondering if they had any at the hotel so if needed we could buy one. again how much are they?

thanks in advance.xx :goodvibes

We bought the basic blue autograph books in the Fantasia store for $6.95 each. Can't help with suitcase question, sorry!

I wanted to update you all on a response i got from Disney on the bed bug issue. I was going to quote the original post but it's on the old thread.

Today I got a letter from the Disney company that basically stated they were responding to my claim (didn't comment on what the claim was). All it asked was for me to fill out the medical release form that accompanied it and return it. There was a name and phone number to call on weekdays. I am going to call on Monday and talk to them about it. I hope it works out because I am hearing impaired and it's hard for me to talk on the phone. In my letter I asked them to communicate by email but I guessed they missed that. As for the medical release it has my name on it but the only thing I can think of is in my letter I commented that my 4 yr old son saw a Dr a couple days after our stay for his 4 yr well baby check and the Dr asked about the bites all over his arm and confirmed that they looked like bed bug bites. No treatment was needed and the appt wasn't for that specific issue. I'm not sure if Disney is thinking I am asking them to pay for the Dr visit which I am not. That visit was scheduled long before the trip.

I'll try calling on Monday and see what happens. I'll update!

I wanted to update you all on a response i got from Disney on the bed bug issue. I was going to quote the original post but it's on the old thread.

Today I got a letter from the Disney company that basically stated they were responding to my claim (didn't comment on what the claim was). All it asked was for me to fill out the medical release form that accompanied it and return it. There was a name and phone number to call on weekdays. I am going to call on Monday and talk to them about it. I hope it works out because I am hearing impaired and it's hard for me to talk on the phone. In my letter I asked them to communicate by email but I guessed they missed that. As for the medical release it has my name on it but the only thing I can think of is in my letter I commented that my 4 yr old son saw a Dr a couple days after our stay for his 4 yr well baby check and the Dr asked about the bites all over his arm and confirmed that they looked like bed bug bites. No treatment was needed and the appt wasn't for that specific issue. I'm not sure if Disney is thinking I am asking them to pay for the Dr visit which I am not. That visit was scheduled long before the trip.

I hope you will be able to work everything out so good luck.

OK, the pool area. We have taken some photos, but probably won't be able to post until we get home in 11 days. There are still lots of construction areas, but we have not seen anybody working on anything during our week stay. The Cabanas look great. The main pool is open along with the slide and 1 hot tub.

When we spoke to a CM last night she said they haven't decided exactly what is going to done in the areas under contstruction, maybe a kids area and at the moment as they have no firm plans or are not working on the area there isn't a completion date. She also said that they haven't decided whether or not to replace or just update the main slide. So I guess work hasn't finished on the main pool yet.

How true all of this is I'm not sure, it may just be they don't know what the plans are. But I would find it hard to believe that anything is going to be completed in the next two weeks, or even anytime soon. But then this is Disney and things can change overnight.

Thanks so much for looking into this, Babyboo! Enjoy the rest of your vacation - I hope it's wonderful!

I'd like to plan an anniversary trip for DW and myself. At this point I think I'd like to try either the GF, Poly, CR or YC with concierge level rooms.

Can anyone suggest what I should look at for a CR reservation? I'd think that a MK view tower room would be nice. Are there any other considerations? This will be for late November-early December.

Thanks in advance. :)

I'd like to plan an anniversary trip for DW and myself. At this point I think I'd like to try either the GF, Poly, CR or YC with concierge level rooms.

Can anyone suggest what I should look at for a CR reservation? I'd think that a MK view tower room would be nice. Are there any other considerations? This will be for late November-early December.

Well at the concierge level you have either Bay Lake or MK view. Both views are nice, but I believe the the MK view would make things extra magical for a anniversary. The view that can be found nowhere else on property.

I would go with the Atrium Club - Magic Kingdom View reservation, so you get the Club Level service and the Magic Kingdom View together.

We bought the basic blue autograph books in the Fantasia store for $6.95 each. Can't help with suitcase question, sorry!

I'm just itchin':rotfl2: to hear what they have to say Monday! The medical release almost makes it sound like they're fearing a law suit:sad2:. If you have specific expectations, don't be shy about letting them know, and I'd immediately let them know of your hearing impairment so that perhaps an alternate means of communication can be established for the future;).

I would pick the CR Tower's CL. Either view - actually, we love the Bay Lake view, and it's less money. You can still see the fireworks from the CL lounge and the CA Grill, which I recommend for an anniversary dinner.

Getting nervous about staying at the contemporary. We leave in a couple of weeks and are doing an off site on site split stay. I made my dh cancel two days at the JW to stay on site.

My 4 year old is so excited about the "monorail hotel". We booked a garden view, is there much of a different feel in the resort if you are staying in that area? I was excited either way. However my dh who could care less about hotels is now talking about wether or not we could get upgraded to the tower. He never talks like that and so I am worried about his expectations. Then there is the whole bed bug issue being talked about. Something I freak out about at every visit at Disney!! Why oh why do I only hear about this stuff at Disney??

Getting nervous about staying at the contemporary. We leave in a couple of weeks and are doing an off site on site split stay. I made my dh cancel two days at the JW to stay on site.

My 4 year old is so excited about the "monorail hotel". We booked a garden view, is there much of a different feel in the resort if you are staying in that area? I was excited either way. However my dh who could care less about hotels is now talking about wether or not we could get upgraded to the tower. He never talks like that and so I am worried about his expectations. Then there is the whole bed bug issue being talked about. Something I freak out about at every visit at Disney!! Why oh why do I only hear about this stuff at Disney??

I wouldn't be nervous. CR, including the garden wing, is a wonderful place to stay. If your DH wants to stay in the tower, then I would ask about it at check in (assuming they don't tell you about it first). Odds are nothing will be available but it can't hurt to ask.

I wouldn't worry about the bed bugs. Check the bed corners and other folds when you first get to the room (this is good advice for any hotel). Say something immediately.

Honestly, odds are it won't be a problem - the CR - including the garden wing is very clean and the beds are exceptionally comfortable. It is just that the CR is in Florida along the water and you are going when it is hot. That combination brings out all sorts of creatures.

Finally, let me assure you there are reports of bed bugs at lots of places other than Disney resorts. You actually don't hear about it all that much. I think the DISboards.com just gives a lot of folks a central location to talk about relatively few places to stay.

I am the person with the bed bug problem and if I were you I wouldn't worry about it! If I had known what I know now before my trip I would have simply checked the mattresses etc upon check in and moved rooms! The bed bugs are very isolated to certain rooms and the rooms around it. If you check and see no evidence then you will be fine! I won't let the bed bug issue stop me from going to Disney again. Bed bugs are something that you need to look for at ANY hotel from a flea bag to a 5 star! Just be wary if they assign you to room 6128! ;)

As for the garden wing having a different feel this is JMO but I did feel distanced from the Disney experience staying there. I would pay to upgrade to the tower if I ever stayed there again. It almost felt to us like when we left the tower to go out to our room that we were almost leaving property. I never had that feeling staying at the lowest level rooms at the Poly, ASMovies or Pop. That's JMO though, there are many, many people who love it.

As for hoping for an upgrade don't get your hopes up too high. You hear about it here a lot but in reality the chances are pretty slim you'll get upgraded. We had it marked on our ressy that we were celebrating a 60th and a 4th B-day and I was super, super nice to the check-in CM and no upgrade for us! I was hoping too! If you really, really want to stay in the tower you need to upgrade and pay for it.

I'm just itchin':rotfl2: to hear what they have to say Monday! The medical release almost makes it sound like they're fearing a law suit:sad2:. If you have specific expectations, don't be shy about letting them know, and I'd immediately let them know of your hearing impairment so that perhaps an alternate means of communication can be established for the future;).

A lawsuit? Are you kidding?? :sad2: I wouldn't even dream of filing a lawsuit for this! All I absolutely want is confirmation that they are taking care of the problem. If they wanted to offer me a great discount on a future trip I wouldn't pass it up but I'm not expecting that! ;)

I've been fretting about this phone call since I got the letter due to my hearing loss. The type of loss I have is rare and it is in the mid-range where most talking is. I decided to try and call the number today in hopes of getting an answering machine. I did and the lady has a very, very thick accent so I know I will not be able to understand a thing she says on the phone. In my message I explained my hearing loss and asked her to please email me. I explained I was confused about the medical release form because I never saw a Dr, but my son did. I told her I would be more than happy to comply with any request they have so that the issue can be dealt with. I said I really want to make sure the room gets dealt with so that future guests don't have problems and so that I can return to Disney in confidence of being bed bug free! I tried to sound very upbeat and friendly so as to relay the feeling that I am not sue happy or looking for anything. I am worried that if they are thinking I would try and sue (which is insane!) that they will refuse to email since they won't want to put anything in writing. I sure hope they will email! I'll update!

I've been fretting about this phone call since I got the letter due to my hearing loss. The type of loss I have is rare and it is in the mid-range where most talking is. I decided to try and call the number today in hopes of getting an answering machine. I did and the lady has a very, very thick accent so I know I will not be able to understand a thing she says on the phone. In my message I explained my hearing loss and asked her to please email me. I explained I was confused about the medical release form because I never saw a Dr, but my son did. I told her I would be more than happy to comply with any request they have so that the issue can be dealt with. I said I really want to make sure the room gets dealt with so that future guests don't have problems and so that I can return to Disney in confidence of being bed bug free! I tried to sound very upbeat and friendly so as to relay the feeling that I am not sue happy or looking for anything. I am worried that if they are thinking I would try and sue (which is insane!) that they will refuse to email since they won't want to put anything in writing. I sure hope they will email! I'll update!
Shel,

They called me (and sent a letter) after I sent a letter of complaint to them. I think they want you to call them because it's a more personal way of dealing with a guest. It's good you left the message today so that you can re-emphasize to them that you have a hearing impairment. She'll probably e-mail you, but if she doesn't, could your husband call?

Don't fret about it, you did the right thing letting them know. They can't make it right for you (or any future guest) unless you let them know there's a problem.

Shel,

They called me (and sent a letter) after I sent a letter of complaint to them. I think they want you to call them because it's a more personal way of dealing with a guest. It's good you left the message today so that you can re-emphasize to them that you have a hearing impairment. She'll probably e-mail you, but if she doesn't, could your husband call?

Don't fret about it, you did the right thing letting them know. They can't make it right for you (or any future guest) unless you let them know there's a problem.

Well my husband could call for me which he does all the time but he didn't go with us on the trip. It was my 3 kids, my Mom, and myself. He would also have to call from work due to the times given in the letter to call. I wouldn't be there with him and I am afraid he wouldn't know how to answer everything. He doesn't have the best memory & listening skills around (well at least for my voice!) :sad2:! If I don't get an email or if they refuse to communicate that way then I guess will will resort to him calling. I hope she's ready for a lot of "I don't know, I'll have to ask my wife..." type answers! :) Just last week he had to call Chase to add our new car loan to our online account where our Disney Visa is and that was a 3 phone call mess! It all ended with us having 2 online accounts now because he had no clue and didn't listen to my information or read carefully enough the email I sent him. :headache: It is such a PITA (for him and me) to be the one in the know and in charge of everything but then not be able to talk on the phone to anyone! Protect your ears is the best advice I have!!

Hi all!

I just upgraded from Pop to CR this AM and am REALLY exicted! DS has wanted to stay here since he was 2 and now at age 6- he finally is!!!

I have a few questions(forgive me if this is already covered :flower3:)

First, re: the pool?
Is it a zero entry?
If not, how deep is it at the edges (DS is 45 inches tall at present).
Also, are life jackets available?
Can the children wear them on the slide?
If not, does anyone know how deep the water is at the bottom of the slide?

Re: Dining:
Is the Contempo Cafe the only place to fill the mugs?
Is there a grab and go section there? (like for yogurt, bottled water etc)
We are doing DXDDP and have ADR's for Cali Grille, Chef Mickeys and the Wave (both) for breakfast. Any thing else I should try for at CR?

Rooms:
We are booked Garden Wing, Garden View- should I request a view, or let the room assigners surprise me? ;)
Is turndown service available upon request in the wings?
About how big is the safe? (want to put in a small portable DVD player and sometimes, our small camcorder)

Transportation
About how long to walk to MK?
If the bus is shared with the Poly, who is picked up first on the way to the park?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all!

I just upgraded from Pop to CR this AM and am REALLY exicted! DS has wanted to stay here since he was 2 and now at age 6- he finally is!!!

I have a few questions(forgive me if this is already covered :flower3:)

First, re: the pool?
Is it a zero entry?
If not, how deep is it at the edges (DS is 45 inches tall at present).
Also, are life jackets available?
Can the children wear them on the slide?
If not, does anyone know how deep the water is at the bottom of the slide?

Re: Dining:
Is the Contempo Cafe the only place to fill the mugs?
Is there a grab and go section there? (like for yogurt, bottled water etc)
We are doing DXDDP and have ADR's for Cali Grille, Chef Mickeys and the Wave (both) for breakfast. Any thing else I should try for at CR?

Rooms:
We are booked Garden Wing, Garden View- should I request a view, or let the room assigners surprise me? ;)
Is turndown service available upon request in the wings?
About how big is the safe? (want to put in a small portable DVD player and sometimes, our small camcorder)

Transportation
About how long to walk to MK?
If the bus is shared with the Poly, who is picked up first on the way to the park?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pool: Not zero entry. There are stairs and then it goes about 3+ ft to the max of a little over 4 ft I believe. I think it is about 4' a the bottom of the slide. You can get life jackets with your room key over in the building where you rent boats etc. You can keep it for the stay just have to return it by the end or you'll be charged $45. You can wear them on the slide.

Dining: I am guessing the mug fill is only at Contempo but I didn't get one so not 100% sure. There was a grab and go section but it closes when they close the tills down at 11-12 at night. The market place was closed for refurb while we were there so now that it is open again you may be able to get grab and go stuff there. I believe you mentioned all the restaurants at the CR so you should be covered for that.

Rooms: We had a garden view and it was on the bottom floor with a little patio. The view was pleasant. Didn't seem to me to have better views in the garden section. They all kind of faced each other.

Transport: For us the walk seemed long to the MK and we preferred the monorail. The walk took about 10-15 minutes. There is no bus service to the MK from CR, just the monorail and walking. We used the bus for the HS and Blizzard Beach and we shared with Poly. They pick up at CR first then go to Poly. The busses were kind of full when we got on so they may have stopped somewhere else first??

HTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter