the 6YO doesn't wanna walk

My DD just turned 7 when we were at Disney. The first day she was a trooper and did MK from 8:10am until Wishes. (We did return to the resort for a swim in the afternoon.)

BUT, she was tired!

The next day in AK I gladly got a stroller for her. She used it sporatically but I think it is worth every $$$.:woohoo:

We are a fit family. DD swims, skates, plays soccer, gymnastics. We hike/bike/swim as a family etc..... but she is 7 and I do not expect her to keep up with grown-ups.

I think her being happy and comfortable only helps all of us have a better time.;)

My DH and I use to crack up at all the screaming kids.......DH would say, "...for the happiest place on earth, some of these kids are pretty unhappy...." :lmao:

But, to each their own. I personally would rent a stroller if it were going to make your vacation more peaceful. Otherwise, it's really not a vacation.:goodvibes

Is it more important to make her walk or more important to have a fun vacation? I say use a stroller. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for my kids, no matter how old they are and how many people say the kids SHOULD be able to walk miles and miles in a day.

Have a wonderful trip! :thumbsup2

Judge according to how she handles things as far as her personality is concerned. That'd be the best advice I can give!:rotfl:

When I was 4, on my first trip to WDW, my mom and dad dragged me everywhere and not once did I get a break to rest unless it was a ride, parade, restaurant meal or monorail ride to the hotel. I was fine! Disney for a kid is so enthralling, it's likely that they won't be concerned as long as they are well hydrated and fed.

Still, not everyone is the same, either. Some kids are prone to meltdowns when overstimulated and from what I hear, strollers are a great way to block out the unwanted. (Another plus to a stroller, methinks. :) )

Try going on walks anyways to gear up, it's good for you both and WDW is a LOT of walking, so it'll get her used to the amount of physical energy required!

Have fun! :wizard:

we have 3 girls ages 6, 7, and 12. Even though we do not need a stroller daily we still rent a double at Disney. My 6 yr old does not like to walk far and gets tired and cranky quickly. My 7 yr old plays soccer year old but still gets winded at Disney. I would not do it without the stroller at this point. In fact in May the 12 year old climbed in for brief moments.

I say do whatever is you feel is right for you. You also shouldn't worry what other people think.

We will be in DisneyWorld in July and my children will be 8 & 6. My 6 yo loves to walk but sometimes she does get tired and cranky when we go to parks & zoos so I bring the umbrella stroller for her. I am concerned with the heat factor in July. I know that as an adult I get tired in the heat and I can just magine that my child will be exhausted in it so I will get them both a carriage if they get tired.

I agree, just do what is right for you! We, not more than an hour ago, bought the Maclaren Volo at 'Baby's R US' for our June 08 trip for our 5yr old. While trying it in the store, we felt kind of ridiculous because my dd looked like baby Huey in the stroller. But so what!!

How can you possibly prep your kid for 10-12 hours of walking/standing in intense Florida June heat? Even if you take them for long walks or whatever, the conditions are not the same. I don't want to be slowed down by a tired complaining child when I could just as easily plop her butt in the stroller and keep on rolling. Also we keep a cooler of iced down water bottles and drinks in the bottom of the stroller. That has been crucial to our Disney survival the last three years (always in June).

If your kid has the energy to hoof it, more power to em. Or if he doesn't have the energy, but you make them suffer through it, that's your perogative. For me, I'm gonna give my kid a rest when she needs it, and have ice cold drinks to boot. :woohoo:

Dude, there are days when *I* wish I could be in a stroller, LOL!!!! :lmao: Now, I have a lot of trouble with blisters, so that of course has something to do with it. I've been so miserable on a couple of trips that dh has wanted to rent a wheelchair so I didn't have to limp painfully everywhere, but I'd never let him do that. ;)

For kiddos, I think it's ridiculous that people care whether or not you're pushing a 5 or 6yo in a stroller. It's no one else's business, and if it makes your trip more enjoyable for you and your kiddoes, then definitely do it! It's not like you're allowing your kids to infringe obnoxiously on other people (and so many parents seem to think their little rampaging angels can do no wrong).

On our first trip, we bought an umbrella stroller for our son who was almost 6. He didn't ride in it all the time (in fact, we used it to haul stuff and really missed it the next year when we actually had to *carry* our stuff, LOL), but when he needed it, we were *so* glad we had it, and we couldn't have cared less what anyone else thought.

One day I happened upon a pair of Merrell shoes on clearance and bought them for my then 5yr old son. He raved about how comfortable his shoes were and that he didn't know shoes were supposed to feel so good. My point is that sometimes kids don't realize that their shoes don't support their feet as maybe they should. I had always bought him Nike or Reebok(not necessarily cheap shoes). Now he likes New Balance and he doesn't really care about if they look cool or not. Those skateboard shoes are awful for support-they are so flat. I would practice walking some distances before you go in shoes that fit really well. Maybe make a CD of Disney hits to get you in the spirit. And then when your child is tired at Disney, let him/her sit back in a stroller and relax and enjoy being there. Don't stress over it, there will be lots of kids riding in them who never ride in one at home1:goodvibes :goodvibes

We'll be doing a length-of-stay rental for our DS, 7. He's quite the walker at home, and he's very well trained for long periods of walking (thanks to Six Flags and outlet malls), but just in case he needs to take a break, the stroller will be there for him. When he's not using it, it'll hold the massive amounts of stuff we'll be taking into the parks (and out of the parks, the way I shop at Disney!), especially since DH is diabetic and needs to carry his stuff with him at all times.

Besides, I can't feel too bad about allowing my 7 year old to hop into a stroller for a break, considering that DH and I rented a double stroller for two days on our last trip...I was pregnant with DS at the time, and the double stroller was for ME! :rotfl:

Didn't read the all of the posts, but if we're still on the topic of the 6 y.o. in a stroller, if it makes everyone a little happier--then use the stroller. I would use a Disney stroller.

Ohhhh, how I miss the days of pushing the stroller, my kids being little, and BEING ABLE TO THROW ALL OF MY STUFF INTO IT!;)

Anyway, it gives those judgemental people something to talk about at dinner.:rotfl:

Last April my son was 6 and we planned on renting a stroller. Our 1st day was Animal Kingdom and we were there at rope drop to hightail it to Mt Everest. I planned on getting the stroller a little later in the morning but he never asked about it so we kept going. We never got one all week. He never complained once. Now this is a kid that can be in Walmart 5 minutes and start complaining about too much walking but I guess he was so excited he forgot he was lazy!! You might give it a try without it to see what happens. BTW I see nothing wrong w/older kids using a stroller at Disney - its a ton of walking.

My daughter was 7 last trip in feb 07. I got her a stroller a few times. I know people looked at us like what is that big kid doing in a stroller, but allowing her to take a break while on the move allowed us to see more. Also we are going in a few weeks and to be honest i would do it again as long as she still fits in one.

the first time we went ds was 5 and dn was 4 we walked them before we got there months in advance building their stamina. never needed a stroller--besides they were too excited to sit still

Going in Sept. and planning on getting my 5 and 8 yr olds a dbl stroller, length of stay. I really don't care what anyone thinks, its what I'm doing!;) I will know where they are at all times, and have a place to put my stuff. No, the 8 yr old won't be in it much, but she will some. And at just now 50 pounds, she is tiny, and I don't want to hear any whining!

Going in Sept. and planning on getting my 5 and 8 yr olds a dbl stroller, length of stay. I really don't care what anyone thinks, its what I'm doing!;) I will know where they are at all times, and have a place to put my stuff. No, the 8 yr old won't be in it much, but she will some. And at just now 50 pounds, she is tiny, and I don't want to hear any whining!

Our son used one when he was 5 and 6...who cares? It's like that potty training idea...everyone is in such a hurry to have them potty training...you know, when they hit kindergarten, noone knows when a child was potty trained. When your child remembers Disney, he/she isn't going to say he remembers sitting in a stroller! Who cares what other people think. Think about it, they are probably doing things that make you look twice!:rotfl2: Just have fun!:banana:

Play it by ear---rent a stroller if you need one. Forcing a tired child to keep on walking sounds like torture for the parent as well. I would agree that some "Disney Training" like taking long walks regularly before the trip is a good idea. If the endurance training and excitement of the World makes the stroller unnecessary, great!! If tiredness seeps in, rent!

One other thought I had with respect to the OP: Recent growth spurts can make kids legs tire easily!! My son had some serious growing pains in his legs the summer he was 6 or 7. Very active kid. He'd long outgrown the stroller. Then suddenly "my legs hurt" all the time. We were icing down his legs at night (this is a child who HATES ice and refuses it for most injuries). We ended up having x-rays done to rule out stress fractures or something more serious. Doctor's diagnosis: growing pains. They disappeared after a few months. If we'd been at Disney during that period, I'd have gotten a stroller without a second thought.

Wendy

(copied from another post)
Let the slowest child set the pace.
I.e. if a child starts to lag behind, slow down yourself.

Something worth trying: Take strides no bigger than your child's, keeping that up for a few of the jaunts between rides or buildings.

Are you sure your child might not be suffering from blisters?

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

If it will make things easy and for a more fun trip either bring a cheap stroller or rent one. My son was four and did not want a stroller but I brought one just in case. and it made all of our lives in Disney much better.

I don't have kids,but I've been in the parks late in the day,and watched poor little kids draggin' their feet because they're so tired! Adults sometimes want to do too much and little ones can't deal with it! I say GET THE CARRIAGE!!! If you can't get back to your hotel so your kid can nap,I think its good to have
someplace he can rest. Who cares what people think!!!! Do what works for your family.

I'm actually contemplating getting a double stroller for our trip. We will have an almost 3 year old ds who definitely will need the stroller and an almost 7 year old dd. She doesn't like to walk and will complain and whine and basically be obnoxious. We are traveling with family and my sister has very long legs (she's 5'11") and walks very fast. My dd is short and has very short legs. It's a struggle for her to keep up with her Auntie Kim. So I have been thinking about renting a double stroller for her to have a place if she needs it. And I don't really care what other people think.

Who cares what others think and if they judge you for putting a 6 year in a stroller then shame on them.

1) kids legs are smaller and don't have the same leg span as an adult therefore they have to walk twice as fast to keep up with a commando adult.

2) Some older kids in strollers need them. LOTS of Make a Wish trips in DW. These kids may not "look" sick but if you see an 8 year old in a stroller don't be quick to judge. BE thankful your child is well enough to walk and mind your own business.

My 6 year old rode a couple of times in my 3 year old's stroller last trip. She had been quite ill two days earlier and was still recovering from that when we finally ventured back to the parks after taking a few days off for her to feel better. If people thought we were coddling her by allowing her to ride then so be it. It allowed us to get back to the parks without exhausting her.

People are simply way to judgemental of others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter