the 6YO doesn't wanna walk

I got rid of the stroller not really because of the kids but because it was turning into a rolling junk drawer and I was the one pushing it (excuse me, it's my vacation also.. hello). We simply slowed down, when my kids got tired, we took mini breaks. There were plenty of benches and such to relax.

2) Some older kids in strollers need them. LOTS of Make a Wish trips in DW. These kids may not "look" sick but if you see an 8 year old in a stroller don't be quick to judge. BE thankful your child is well enough to walk and mind your own business.

Thank you for pointing that out. We will be travelling with an 8 y/o who is autistic and has low muscle tone, and we will be getting a stroller. Maybe not every day, but definately at Epcot, that's our first park, and we'll take it from there. Part of it is the muscle tone, part of it is to help keep track of him, part of it is to provide him a safe spot. Anybody that gives us "the look" is going to get an ear-full, trust me. ;)

I personally don't think Disney (or any vacation for that matter) is a good opportunity to teach hard life lessons. Most kids are not exposed to the amount of walking they'll do at Disney, yes doing walking at home beforehand helps, but Disney will wear out an adult. Parents make their kids keep walking when they're tired, make them haul around for 8 hours straight, try to pull that off for four or five days straight, and then end up hysterical off of their "ruined" vacation.

Some kids, yes, might be able to do it. The excitement the first day or two will carry them through. But you shouldn't count on that happening, and shouldn't get upset if it doesn't, and yes definately shouldn't judge other parents pushing their "big kid" in a stroller.

Ack...major "judgment" magnet is this question.

Bottom line is, you know your kid. If you rent a stroller for your 6 year old, you will NOT be out of place. Every second person has a bigger kid in a stroller at Disney. It's a lot of walking. More walking than one might think. We got a double for my 6 and 8 year old step kids last summer. We'll be getting one THIS year too. Why? B/c it cuts down on whining...and complaining about tired legs...and blisters. It keeps the kids rested, out of the sun, but still in the action. We were able to do a lot more with them, with less fussing with each other and happy feet and kids by the end of the day. They walked when they felt like it and rode when they felt like it. The Disney strollers are amazingly easy to push! That's what vacation is about...maximizing the fun...not enforcing a "you are a BIG GIRL...now WALK" issue. Disney is not the time to tackle that particular issue IMO.

Relax, do what works best for your little one and for you. You are not being a bad parent if you get a stroller for your six year old. You are preserving your happy bubble along with hers!

:goodvibes

Have Fun!!!!

Other than carrying the child, which does not sound like a viable plan, I don't think there are other approved options at Disney - stroller or walk. No wagons are allowed so that would be out.

I have to comment though on the stroller thing - I'm sure there are children who are truly conditioned in everday life from sports, or hiking or such but I would imagine the average child should not be expected to sustain the pace and distance of how my family personally tours Disney. We are open to close people - we don't rush but we don't really stop and we do this for up to 11 days in a trip depending on the year. There are days that I can barely make it to the door, so I cannot in any way expect my son to do so. He just turned 7 and for our recent November trip I invested in a MacClaren quest which I expect to use again in November (when yes, he will be close to 8). The stroller is never used for any other trips (we go to DC once a year for a weekend and walk a lot there) but it is an absolute must in Disney.

For my personal touring style (we don't break and nap as we go off season generally when park hours are significantly shorter) there is no option to not use a stroller. Only place he really walks is downtown disney - stroller goes to all of the parks. Now he is probably in it 50% of the time but we have our stuff in it - can bring water and snacks without lugging and the thing is light and easy to maneuver. And when he conks out at the blink of an eye while we are at a park (often at Epcot WS enjoying some relaxing shopping etc), we can continue to enjoy ourselves without a cranky child and since we hae our own and not a rental, we can get him all the way to the car or bus without having to carry his 50 pound butt.

I think that some people, not all, react strangely to a child in a stroller when they decide the child is 'old enough'. I'm 38 and if someone would push me for a few hours in Disney then I would take it! I just don't get the suck it up attitude I have heard from some of my own friends on this issue. If people would do what works for their child, not what they think should work there would be a lot less miserable parents and screaming kids at Disney. (This wasn't directed at anyone here - it's from personal experience).

Don't feel bad if you decide to get a stroller. You know your child. My 4.5 never uses a stroller at home, but i would not expect her to walk the amount we did in a short time. If you have a long enough vacation where you can plan only 1/2 days at the park then you might manage without, but if like us, we went to parks early stayed til we were tire, then went for a rest. We headed back in the early evening and stayed as long as we could. Some days i was so tired i couldn't imagine my 4yr old walking that much. My DD9 was fine. You could play it by ear and rent a stroller at the big parks(AK/EPCOT)
We found DHS was ok without because there was alot of time to rest at shows.
Whatever you do, don't worry about what others think. It is your vacation and if it makes your child comfortable to be in a stroller then go for it.

I would also say go with what you think is best. I wouldn't dream of trying to do Disney yet w/o a stroller and DD is 4! I know I might be encouraging my kid to be lazy but I would rather not put up with the "I'm too tired to walk" meltdowns. DD doesn't always ride in hers but it's nice to have it there just in case. Just like at home...she rarely uses it, but I always keep it in my trunk...just in case.

When we went to Disney in Nov. my DS was 2 months shy of 6 yrs old. We were there for 2 weeks and took our stroller with us. Before we left for Disney he complained he wasn't going to be able to walk the whole day. He doesn't use the stroller at home, but we have been to Disney many times and he knows all about the walking. So we took the stroller, he sat in it 2 days then never wanted to sit in it again. I had no problem pushing my son, we were all happy and that's all that mattered. But after being there he knew there was more to explore when he wasn't in the stroller. I even missed not having the stroller when the crowds were thick and we had no where to put our things.:)
In March last year he used the stroller everyday he had just turned 5. At 6 he knew he didn't need it anymore. If you have no problem taking it then don't worry about it. If you don't have one then I would rent it only if needed once you are there.
Enjoy and do what is good for you and your family.

My kids were in strollers at WDW at 4 1/2, 7 (that week), and 6. For the last one, I even went so far as to buy a new stroller (he was long out of one so I'd gotten rid of it and back then it was cheaper to buy a new one than renting from WDW for 10 days) that was heavy duty enough for a larger kid (took him to the store and tested them). I then gave the stroller to my younger sister who was having a baby.

My kids have always been great athletes, so getting in shape isn't an issue. We took long trips, we don't go back to the hotel for breaks, and I don't expect them not to get tired when my feet are aching by the end of 3 days at the parks! It's no big deal to push a stroller, so why risk anyone being miserable when you don't have to?

everyone will be looking at us, last year my two year didn't want to ride so my 6 year old did, we bought them both a maclaren for the trip. this year we will either bring one or rent a double. yes my 7 year old is able to walk but i am not one of those people who let there kids wander around from me, so i guess people judging me for letting my very tall 7 year old ride can judge me because i am judging them for letting their children follow along way behind them where anyone can grab them, or they get lost . and then they can stand their wondering where their child is ... while i have mine in a stroller right with me :thumbsup2

I hadn't even thought of this issue before now. My three yr old will be four when we hit Disney. The stroller has been gone for over a year already.
He is a busy, active , energy filled guy. I don't imagine it will be a huge issue that often if we just let him set the pace like another poster mentioned. And if it becomes one .. because it could.. then yes.. I will get one.
At the zoo near our home you can rent a stroller .. OR a wagon. I like the wagons , they feel a little more grown up. But in the end.. I'm not too worried about it.

We'll be taking our Mac Twin Rally for sure this June and will also have our Peg Pliko, just in case we need it.... mine also walk everywhere here, are well accustomed to exercising, etc.... but as several people have mentioned, Disney is in its own league. You know your child better than anyone else, and if her riding in a stroller will make her happy and your vacation more enjoyable, use it! I know that all 3 of my kiddos will at some point or another ride/rest/nap/etc.... in our strollers and it will make our vacation a happier one! I don't care how magical and exciting everything is, I know my younger daughter would whine and be miserable if I insisted that she walk the entire time we are there (thereby making everyone unhappy and miserable....). We stay until closing and as someone mentioned, pushing a sleeping child in a stroller is a lot easier than carrying one!!! Do what's best for you and don't worry what others think!!! It's not a contest to see whose kid can walk Disney and whose can't...

LOVE the story of the pregnant Dis'er being pushed in the stroller - that's great!!!

It doesn't bother me at all that I now know people may look at me funny. Oh well. It is my vacation and if I feel it will make my life a whole lot easier to "give in" or "coddle" my 5 and 7yo by having a stroller for them, then oh well. It is not a battle I am willing to fight while on vacation, or a life lesson I am willing to teach while there. We have plenty of battles and lessons at home, we don't use a stroller at all at home. I got rid of it last year. But at WDW I feel that having a stroller is such a relief for me. For one, I can keep my stuff in it and for another, I don't have to have whining and cranky kids. They are happy, we are happy. It is a win-win situation.
I think it helps that my 7yo looks like she is 5 and my 5yo looks like she is 3.

My 9yo wouldn't be caught dead in a stroller after the age of 5. She would roll her eyes if we even suggested such a thing. She could keep walking and walking and never ever complain. Unfortunately my other 2 are not like her, so the stroller it is.

It doesn't bother me at all that I now know people may look at me funny. Oh well. It is my vacation and if I feel it will make my life a whole lot easier to "give in" or "coddle" my 5 and 7yo by having a stroller for them, then oh well. It is not a battle I am willing to fight while on vacation, or a life lesson I am willing to teach while there. We have plenty of battles and lessons at home, we don't use a stroller at all at home. I got rid of it last year. But at WDW I feel that having a stroller is such a relief for me. For one, I can keep my stuff in it and for another, I don't have to have whining and cranky kids. They are happy, we are happy. It is a win-win situation.
I think it helps that my 7yo looks like she is 5 and my 5yo looks like she is 3.

I am in the same situation almost exactly! Mine will be 8 and 5 when we go though, but they look about 6 and 3. Not that it really matters, but it does help I think! And the fact that they are small means not as much weight to push around, lol. And for what its worth, I agree with you on all counts! :thumbsup2

I have decided to rent for my girls (5 and 7) for our upcoming Disney trip. I know they will be happier if they have the option of riding, and my goal here is to make them happy. If they are happy, I am happy! :lovestruc I will not be offended if I am the recipient of dirty looks. Also, I agree with the added bonus of being able to pile things in it when not is use.

I do have a question about multi-day rentals. Do the rental days have to be used consecutively or can they be used until they run out? :confused: I want to rent a double for 6 park visits, but we will be only going to the parks every other day. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

There is so much to see at Disney and you can't forget that young kids can't walk nearly as far as adults. And remember all those touring plans? Well if adults really try to follow them properly, the little ones end up pretty tired.

It's expensive to go to Disney and the last thing I want to deal with is a tired child by 2pm. So I'd say get a Maclaren Volo for cheap or rent while you are there.

6 is still pretty young. The child can walk for a few hours, but by 12 or 1 you can expect that they can't keep up with an adult's pace. I wouldn't be bothered by what others think, it's your holiday and you know best how much your child can tolerate.

For me I bring a stroller and don't think twice about it. It's tough walking from one section to another and telling your kids to hurry up so you can make it on time for a show that is starting. Or hurry up we have to get a good seat for the parade. I think some parents expect too much from the smaller kids.

AMEN!

I purchased two Maclaren Volos on ebay...they were $70.99 each (that includes shipping via UPS). They were both BRAND NEW. If you have any questions about the strollers check Babies R Us...they are more expensive there, but I took my six year old there to test them out. DEFINITELY WORTH THE $$$!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter