The 2011 Alaskan Thread--Cruise Tips and Planning

For those on the repo, high tea at the Empress in Victoria is supposedly a must do! Here is a link I posted the link on the first page as well!

I live in Victoria and I grew up in Vancouver and my parents still there so I go often. If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Does anyone know what time frame DCL will start posting their excursions and prices on the website? Just curious for planning purposes. We are on the Aug 9 sailing.

It says on the website to check back approx 120 days before your cruise. 120 days before the first Alaska cruise would be January 3rd, so we should start getting info sometime around then. :)

I have a question I asked in another thread, but didn't get an answer. For those who have been on Alaska cruises before, do you think the Navigator's Veranda would be good or bad choice? I was thinking because it's more enclosed it might help sheild us from the cold and also from nearby smokers. What do you think?

It says on the website to check back approx 120 days before your cruise. 120 days before the first Alaska cruise would be January 3rd, so we should start getting info sometime around then. :)

Do your homework before DCL releases their Alaska excursions! There are only 3 ports on this cruise: Ketchikan (http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=25), Juneau (http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=23), and Skagway (http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=24). You can get plenty of port information from the Alaska discussion board at Cruise Critic (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55), as well as in any number of Alaska guide books at your library. My favorite books are Frommer's Alaska by Charles Wohlforth and Alaska By Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond. There are very few excursions that can only be booked through the cruise line. On the other hand, there are many excursions that can be booked with private vendors, or done entirely on your own on foot (walking tour) or with a rental car.

Might even be earlier. First cruise Platinum members can start booking Jan 26, so I would expect to see excursions some time in November.

Do your homework before DCL releases their Alaska excursions! There are only 3 ports on this cruise: Ketchikan (http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=25), Juneau (http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=23), and Skagway (http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=24). You can get plenty of port information from the Alaska discussion board at Cruise Critic (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55), as well as in any number of Alaska guide books at your library. My favorite books are Frommer's Alaska by Charles Wohlforth and Alaska By Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond. There are very few excursions that can only be booked through the cruise line. On the other hand, there are many excursions that can be booked with private vendors, or done entirely on your own on foot (walking tour) or with a rental car.

Thanks for these links .. I will post them on the front page! I bought the Anne Vipond book and it is quite good! You even get a map!

For those on the repo, high tea at the Empress in Victoria is supposedly a must do! Here is a link I posted the link on the first page as well!

Thank you for the link. It sounds wonderful. We are on the July 19th AK cruise and plan on spending a few days after the cruise in Victoria.

I am new to DIS, infact have never made any posts before. I have been getting tips and info for our family's upcoming WDW trip and noticed the Alaska cruise posts. So, I thought since I live in Ketchikan, one of the ports of call, I could be of some help. I had a whole list of suggestions, but having trouble getting them to post. If this goes through I will try again.

Okay.

Tours: the lumberjack show is fantastic and great for kids. It's high energy and the seats are covered for those rainy days. The arena is just a short walk from the docks. Tickets run $35 for adult and $17.50 ages 3-12.

Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour is also a must do. My family loved it. We got to see seals and eagles and the kids got to touch 3 different types of crabs. It's a little pricey at $159 for adult and $99 ages 5-12, but well worth it. It should be noted that children must be 5yrs or older for this tour, and those with motion sickness may need something as the tour goes on rain, wind, or shine. It's a 3 1/2 hr tour on a former working crab boat that was featured on Deadliest Catch. The boat takes you out and will show how to launch a pot and retrieve it. Contents of the pot are placed in a glass tank for viewing. Seats are tiered so everyone should be able to see and it is partial covered. Rain jackets are available if necessary. Snacks and drinks are provided.

The Totem Parks are also fun. Totem Bight is my favorite because it's located on the water. Chances are good for wildlife view. We have great whale pics from the beach there. A nice little loop trail through the forest takes you to the totem poles and is accessible by wheelchair. On the Potlatch Park side there is a model of a native villages as well as the totem carving viewing. A greyhound style bus takes you to and from and is about a 10 mile drive north of downtown. The tours last about 2hrs cost is around $35 adult, $20 children.

Other possible excursions are the Duckboats land/sea tours- again kid favorite(they love the duck whistles)
Mistyfjords float plane tours -Great family outing
The Rainforest Sanctuary tours that offer a wild life walking tour and the zip-line tour through the forest. Here is the best place to see black bears. There is a salmon spawning stream next door. I have personally seen bears while fishing.

Other things are: a Discovery Center downtown that is great for kids and is only$5 person easy walk from the dock. Horse drawn trailer rides, through downtown, old fashioned trolley rides that even stop at the local grocery store(there's a good view from there). All tours have booths right on the dock the minute you get off the ship or at the main visitors center in the green building located on the dock. Most tours still have space the day you arrive, if you like to play things by mouse ear.

Food, I would highly recommend the sea food chowder in a sourdough bread bowl at Annabelle's. It's located across the street from Tongass Trading Company, which by the way is a great one stop trinket shop. Depending where your ships docked you maybe able to see it from your window. For fish and chips I recommend The Fish House. It's right next to the lumberjack show and a short walk from the docks. Make sure you get the Halibut. For King crab legs try in the Salmon Landing building next to The Fish House. The name of the restaurant escapes me, but it's the only one in there.

Creek street is also highly advertised. It may appeal to adults, but my kids are only interested walking there when the salmon are running, and boy are they now. The smell downtown is wonderful. It's a collection of unique Alaskan gift shops built on a dock over the creek. It's a nice walk on a sunny day, but may or may not be when it's raining.

As you have read the weather in Ketchikan is rain, rain, and more rain. So my best advice is to invest in a nice water proof jacket and pair of shoes, and may you never have to unpack them

I do have website info for the tours in KTN, but since I am new here I guess I can't post them. If anyone is interested let me know how I can get them to you.

I do have website info for the tours in KTN, but since I am new here I guess I can't post them. If anyone is interested let me know how I can get them to you.

Thanks for your previous post that's full of local info.

Once you get to 10 posts on DIS you will be able to post links.

Ok I know it's a little early to plan (but never too early right?) ;)

Have a few questions for those who have been to Alaska...

1) Skagway: We're looking to book the Whitepass Summit Rail roundtrip directly with the rail company on their website. Is the rail depo/train station within walking distance from the port? If not, is there a easy way to get there?

2) Juneau: Is it possible to book through Disney (have never cruised) to book 2 different short excusions on 1 day. On the website when you reserve, can you pick different times of the excursions or are excursions times assigned?

3) Ketchikan: Hi there Halibut--I see that you're a Ketchikan local...we'd like to just walk around town, shop and maybe catch the lumberjack show...how many hours do you think that would take? Is the lumberjack show worth $35? Or is the Totem park a better trip for the same price? Is "town" close to the port, i.e., within walking distance? We're looking to keep Ketchikan an "easy" port for us.

TIA :goodvibes

Just wondering how the travel planning is going for everyone-has anyone found good deals on flights, car rentals, etc. When will 2011 rates come out for the Quick Shuttle? Thanks!!

Ok I know it's a little early to plan (but never too early right?) ;)

Have a few questions for those who have been to Alaska...

1) Skagway: We're looking to book the Whitepass Summit Rail roundtrip directly with the rail company on their website. Is the rail depo/train station within walking distance from the port? If not, is there a easy way to get there?
The rail depot/train station in town is definitely within walking distance from the port. Most of the town is walking distance from the port. I *believe* that you can only board *at* the port if you book through your ship. If you book directly with WP&YR, then you need to catch the train in town. But, again, I think it was around 10 minutes to walk into town.

Sayhello

Thought I'd mention that we had a post in the Adventures by Disney Forum by kjd469. She mentioned that she just got off the DVC member cruise, and attended a presentation where Carl Holz and some folks from ABD announced "that in November they will be officially announcing an ABD/DCL combo for Alaska..."

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559236

Having done the ABD/DCL combo in the Med, I would say people should definitely look into doing the combo in Alaska once they formally announce it. It was a FABULOUS way to do a cruise, and I really, really loved it.

Sayhello

Just wondering how the travel planning is going for everyone-has anyone found good deals on flights, car rentals, etc.

I used frequent flyer miles, but was about to get flights for 12,500 points each, instead of the normal 25,000 points each for the trip to Alaska. Did have to use 25,000 points each for the return home trip though.

Now I'm waiting for Continental and United to get married on the 1st of October so I can book better seats...

I found good rates from Milwaukee to Seattle. Now I have to decide if I want to use those good rates or wait til we are 6 months out to see what Southwest has so we can avoid playing for bags.

Southwest is releasing dates through April 25th tomorrow-so hopefully, in a few months we'll get May/June dates... They are also about to take over Air Tran-so maybe even more affordable options in the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter