The 2011 Alaskan Thread--Cruise Tips and Planning

I used my Verizon phone in Skagway to get very important brand new baby news- no extra charges. Other providers seemed not to have service.

I did not try my phone in any other cities.

I do think it depends on your phone and level of service. They were adamant that we would be roaming in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. And of course, in Canada, we would be paying international rates. I'm glad you were able to use yours to get your very special news! :):)

Yes to the character breakfast. We were assigned one on a sea day.

We have AT&T iPhones in my family. Whenever we could get a signal (even when moving but in the US) we were able to use them and not get an extra charge. Had to be careful in Canada though. YMMV

We used Rum Runner Charters.....

.....There are blue buses at the dock that will take you to Mendenhall and Captain Chris will pick you up there and take you whale watching or drop you there after whale watching depending on what time of day you go. I would actually recommend booking the longer excursion with him as we didn't want ours to end.

I'm so glad I found this thread! We have booked with Rum Runner for next summer (the 4 hour trip) and wondered if we would be able to fit in a trip to the Mendenhall Glacier as well. Glad to see that we can be dropped off there after the boat trip.

Thank you for sharing your photos. :)

I'm hoping that the DCL tour times will be similar to the ones posted for 2011 since next years cruises will also be out of Vancouver.

I'm so glad I found this thread! We have booked with Rum Runner for next summer (the 4 hour trip) and wondered if we would be able to fit in a trip to the Mendenhall Glacier as well. Glad to see that we can be dropped off there after the boat trip.

Thank you for sharing your photos. :)

I'm hoping that the DCL tour times will be similar to the ones posted for 2011 since next years cruises will also be out of Vancouver.

Yes you can as long as the port times are similar to when we sailed. Please let Captain Chris know where you heard about him. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter