Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

Thank you!

Didn't go to the track (whew!), actually just a quick trail run. So my big workout has been deferred to today when my trainer wants me to do a tempo run of 2k warm up, 4-5k at a fast pace, and 2k cool down. Eek! That's a lot of running. My 10k is in less than a month so the mileage has got to go up.

When I was running on the trail on Saturday with my new shoes (I had left my old trail shoes somewhere else) I unfortunately developed a big blister, but also banged some of my toes. I have the dreaded black toenail now. It's only half-black so maybe it won't fall off? I am going to trim my toenails and only use my new shoes for road running. The shoes I use for trail running are a bit big so I think it helps when going down steep trails that there is a bit more room in the toe box. My new shoes are a little smaller.

I did do my run on Tuesday. It sucked pretty bad but I did it. I did 8k in 65 minutes.

Today I did 9k in 70 minutes. Felt better. Was my usual route that I know well and know how to talk myself through. I was super surprised that I did well because I only had 4 hours sleep this morning after being up all night AND only had 3.5 hours sleep the night before. Lots of babies born. The good news is all my April moms have birthed and I am hoping for a bit of a lull.

Tomorrow is 3-4k run and a 45 minute bike ride.

Good morning. Rainy and cold here.

Thankfully slept last night. Slept like a log, actually.

I forgot to add that on Thursday night I also went to Booty Camp after my 9k run. It was and hour of cardio and core. I am nice and sore in my abs, back and butt area today, so yay! There is another one tomorrow at 10am that I would like to go to.

Today is just an hour of biking, and 30 minutes of weights and core. I'm a bit tentative on the core because of the muscle soreness, but will do it anyways.
No running today as I have run about 35k (!) this week and my trainer wants me to not run today.

Today was a weigh day: 232. That's 6# since 16 days ago. Yay! Makes 38 pounds lost since July 1st. Considering how much muscle I have put on from dough to glow :rotfl2: I am real happy with that fat loss. I don't expect to lose that much next weigh in as certainly there was some lady bloating going on.

I have identified my next goal: 190# At 5'9-5'10 that is a good weight for me. I may go lower, but that is my next *goal*. I'd like to do that by Jan 12, 2013 when I run my half-marathon - 36 weeks away. I know I will feel awesome at that weight. It will mean a total loss of 80 pounds.

Anyway, that is my update. Feeling good today with that little bit of sleep. Today our piano comes!!!!!! So excited. It is my 40th birthday present I am sharing with our family. And no, I don't play: yet! Took lessons as a kid but only some of it has stayed with me. When we get back from our trip to California we will all take lessons.

I forgot to add: I am pretty certain that I am either gluten-intolerant or wheat intolerant. I have been avoiding carbs for the most part lately, not religiously but trying to keep my calories to protein and veg/fruit or beans for carbs. However, my trainer scofffed at this when we went out for a quick bite to eat and told me, "atheletes don't need to be afraid of carbs". Aside from the discussion we had about including ME in the athelete category (he said: "athelete is as athelete does. You work out 6 days a week for at least 60-90 minutes a day. What part of that is not athletic?" So I guess I am a (minor) athlete. Anyway, so I ate pasta this week. Three times. Not huge portions, but along with other stuff. And you know what? Pain, bloating, stomach rumbling, and gas like you wouldn't believe within 30 minutes each time. I love wheat!!!! I make homemade pasta and bread. I know there are substitutes but they aren't the same. WAH! Oh well, I felt like such crap last night after pasta that I think that will learn me. Just another adaptation for a healthier life.

Have a great day.

Well, for my first time I have not done my workout as scheduled. I ended up busy at work, but also had a very difficult personal situation today. Hard day.

Then i got called to a complicated birth where the baby is not expected to make it. Mom and baby are hanging it, but it was a tough day already before I was called to this birth. THEN I got called to another client's birth - she isn't due for two more weeks, but off I went. It ended up being terrific, but I am sooooo tired.

Tomorrow I will run 5.5k and bike for 45 minutes, and do core and weights. Monday is a track day (eek!). If I wasn't going to bed so late I would get up and go to Booty Camp, but it is 3am here and I need my rest.

Anyways, a crappy day. Tomorrow will be better, right?

Good morning!

I did do my run and cycling on Sunday. I think I only cycled for 45 minutes though. I was so dead tired and beat.

Have slept the last two nights (but gosh my body wants to sleep forever!) and am feeling better.

Last night was a track night. They are quick but a bit brutal. I am NOT a fast runner, as you all know. This was my workout:

800 meters warm up at my usual running pace (~7:40/km).

100 meters at a fast pace for me (~4:40-5:10/km)
100 meters at my usual pace
REPEAT these two above 16 times! :eek:

800 meter cool down at my usual pace. Total distance: 5k. It was not fun.

For anyone who actually can run fast, my times seem pathetic, I am sure, but for me they were challenging. I am not built for speed!

Gosh the last 3 were a hot mess, but I finished strong. It was rainy, cold and very wet, with the temps just hovering above freezing (it has been a very weird spring here). My coach is tapering for a half marathon this Saturday, so we couldn't run together. And we are heading back to the track :scared1: on Monday because he won't be up for a run by Monday yet.

My rest is coming soon: my 10k is in 2.5 weeks. Then 10 days later we leave for our road trip to California! I will be happy for the rest. My plan when we are away is to run every other day 3-4k, and to do a lot of hiking, swimming and other exercise. We are visiting 5 different national parks so there will be lots of terrific places to hike and run. I look forward to my shins healing more fully. They still hurt most of the time, despite following doctor's advice. They are better, but still really tender.

How are the mom and baby doing? God news I hope.

Your trip to CA sounds like fun! I hope to hit some national parks with the kids soon. We keep getting sucked back into Disney but I really want to take the kids other places.

Mom and baby are hanging in. By a miracle, her labour stopped and baby is still in mama. :lovestruc

We are heading to Disneyland as well on our trip, but also seeing some of the amazing natural places. A nice mix!

Today is just cardio and some core/weights. Not too motivated but ya gotta do what ya gotta do (plus my coach called to check in on the shins after yesterday's workout and asked about my workout today: I said it was coming!)

Your progress is going great! Keep it up! Also glad to hear the mother and baby are doing well. As a parent of two that had complications during birth, I can certainly appreciate the stress, concern, and fear they are dealing with. My first had holes in her lungs when she was born and my second had air pocket around her heart. They were both miracles and got better much quicker than they were supposed to and have been healthy ever since. We'll keep that family in our prayers!

Looking forward to these races:

May 13 Sporting Life 10k (my first 10K)
June 28 Angus Glen 5 miler (race on a golf course)
Aug 25 Mud Hero 6k (obstacle course and mud run)
September 8 Haliburton Forest 12k trail race (while my coach runs a 100miler!)
September 22 or 23 Oasis Zoo Run 10k (through the Toronto Zoo)
January 12 Disney Half Marathon

Will add something in July and November and December. So excited!

I'm sorry the wheat might be bothering you. I used to make homemade pasta, flat bread, pizza, calzones. All the yummy stuff. And maybe I will again someday, but I really understand the sadness that comes with starting to think that it might be making you sick.:hug:

And I would agree with the trainer on the athlete comments.:goodvibes

I am just so sick of being fat and unfit. I want to change badly. Thanks for the encouragement.

Tonight is a short run (5k) and a bike ride of 30-45 minutes. I'm finding the bike time a bit boring after the first 20 minutes. My coach says I'm not biking hard enough in that case, but really, it just seems time-consuming. At least with running I can play my tunes etc. Maybe time to start mixing it up a bit and maybe switch to swimming? My trainer says either swimming or biking as my cross-training.

Yesterday I did 45 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of core.

Your progress is going great! Keep it up! Also glad to hear the mother and baby are doing well. As a parent of two that had complications during birth, I can certainly appreciate the stress, concern, and fear they are dealing with. My first had holes in her lungs when she was born and my second had air pocket around her heart. They were both miracles and got better much quicker than they were supposed to and have been healthy ever since. We'll keep that family in our prayers!

I'm guessing a pneumothorax and a pneumopericardium? Both are rare, so sorry that happened to your family! How amazing that they healed well, and have been healthy since.

I have one special-needs kid: my son is 14 and has neurofibromatosis. He's currently stable but has a large spinal tumour. No fun at all worrying about your kids.

I'm sorry the wheat might be bothering you. I used to make homemade pasta, flat bread, pizza, calzones. All the yummy stuff. And maybe I will again someday, but I really understand the sadness that comes with starting to think that it might be making you sick.:hug:

And I would agree with the trainer on the athlete comments.:goodvibes

Thanks. No wheat=no tummy troubles. :headache: I suspect I can eat a small amount, though. Pasta, bread and cereal are the worst.

Take that frustration and use it to move forward. You can do it!

In December of 2009 I weighed 189 pounds. I barely exercised. My drink of choice was diet soda. I was a vegetarian--but still ate very poorly. I had so many symptoms and issues. I was depressed and anxious. I never felt good.

Today I weigh 144 pounds. And am hoping to finish my half marathon on Saturday right around 2:10.:goodvibes I have dealt with an irregular heart beat, tons of stomach issues, etc. More things than you want to know about it. I have been to physical therapy 3 times in the last year.

What was different this time than all the times before--and there were lots of times that I tried to do this before------I didn't quit. :goodvibes

And I wanted to so many times. Some days it was so hard I would just cry--from frustration with food or injuries or just how hard it was to stay the course.

I am 44--you can do this. It is doable.:goodvibes Hang in there.:goodvibes

Thanks!

I am proud of my success so far. I've lost almost 40 pounds, and have turned from a non-runner into a runner. I can run much longer distances than even 3 months ago, and am seeing inches lost. I just am in a funk that I have at least another 40# to go.

I'm proud of the continued effort I have put in. I've missed maybe 2-3 scheduled workouts ALL year. Rain, hail, snow, lack of sleep, whatever: I get out there. I feel like my commitment level is awesome.

I just feel that I am in the middle, with another year of very hard work ahead of me. Also, my physical exterior belies how much work I am doing. Those who know me can see the changes, but I feel far too fat for how fit I am and how hard I work out! It can only go so fast, I get that. But I am impatient!

Thanks for listening.

I'm guessing a pneumothorax and a pneumopericardium? Both are rare, so sorry that happened to your family! How amazing that they healed well, and have been healthy since.

I have one special-needs kid: my son is 14 and has neurofibromatosis. He's currently stable but has a large spinal tumour. No fun at all worrying about your kids.

Exactly! With our first it was naturally far more concerning because we didn't know what to expect and outside of a very long delivery (26 hours in labor total), the pregnancy was completely uneventful. DD10 was supposed to spend the first week or two of her life in an oxygen tent. She was out in 3 days and out of NICU in 4. God took care of my babies!

Exactly! With our first it was naturally far more concerning because we didn't know what to expect and outside of a very long delivery (26 hours in labor total), the pregnancy was completely uneventful. DD10 was supposed to spend the first week or two of her life in an oxygen tent. She was out in 3 days and out of NICU in 4. God took care of my babies!

:-)

Up nice and early today as we are going camping in Niagara Falls with some friends. The kids are going to school for a couple of hours while I get a run in, and finish getting ready.

I'm hoping for 9.3k this morning. My race is in 16 days! I have a 3+k route that loops around the neighbourhood so gearing up for doing that 3x. I've never really done loops like that, but I don't really like my longer loop that is 8.5k anymore. I'm hoping to run each loop a little faster. I think I am going to do 1k run/100m walk intervals. My coach really wants me to work on running distances without breaks, but I am experimenting with times and seeing how the intervals affect my timing. It helps that the big hill on my route is exactly at the 1k mark! :rotfl:

My shins are still tender so not looking too forward to this run. I am looking forward to being done and feeling good about the distance I went. At least I can do shorter runs tomorrow! The place where we are camping has a swimming pool so I am going to get some serious lengths in as I can.

That is my update. Hope you all have a great weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter