• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

The reason he said no water was:

-so I wouldn't have to pee (LOL)
-because water can make you cramp at race pace, especially at the end when I was really working hard
-because the water could throw off my gait and drinking while running could take my focus off of the race
-because I wouldn't get dehydrated in only a 10k race

In essence, because it wouldn't benefit me. I like water for comfort as I get a dry mouth, so I just swished it around and let it go.

I'm wondering what the nausea is rooted in? Physiologically running for 30-45 minutes shouldn't cause one to become dehydrated or *need* water? Maybe you could be better hydrated to begin with and forgo the water?

Coach told me to hydrate the day before, but keep low on the liquids and food the morning of. He seems to know his stuff, so I went with it, and did fine. He is pretty regimented himself about his own fuel, replacing salts during intense exercise, and hydration, so I trusted his assesment. It did work for me.

Excellent job! That advice about not "shooting out the gate" is great advice regardless of the length of the race!

Coach says he always advises to run the first half of a race conservatively, then go for it the second half. He says "You can always make up time, you can't make up energy".

I certainly passed a lot of people after the second half, most of whom seemed to have passed me in the first kilometer! :rotfl2:

I have definitely been hydrating more and the last 5K I was better. I agree that dry mouth is horrible! I wonder if it's because I breathe in through my mouth and out through my nose.

Definitely don't shoot out the gate. We tell DS15 this all the time. Don't run somebody else's race, only run your own.

Last night Coach and I went for a long hike to 'flush the legs'. We were hiking in the Seaton Trail and it was a good hike. There are lots of steep inclines on the side trails, and dry rocky riverbeds, so there is a lot of action for just a hike. Legs and knees were tired and sore afterwards. I feel pretty good this morning, except my quads. I don't usually get quad pain, but the 10k was a lot of downhill, so that required lots of quad work.

Went back to the sports MD re: shin pain. I have two tight calf muscles doing it. I had some acupuncture and am returning on Thursday for more. Hoping to really get this kicked.

Today is core and biking. This week will be light, then next week we start back up. My next goal race is the Half Marathon in January. Coach says we are starting 6 week cycles of ramping up the mileage and speed for one or two cycles, and then back down again for a cycle to allow healing and building, then ramping up again. I just follow the plan!

This week I didn't lose any weight :-( But I am again mid-cycle and feeling bloated, so I'm sure I'll see some loss next week.

We leave for our big road trip next week. Need to figure out how I am going to get in my big runs in strange towns and places! AND I lost my Garmin watch, which I will definitely need. Argh. I had to borrow a watch for the race.

Yesterday I biked for 60mins/13k.

Today I ran 5k at 7:23/km.

Chugging along, hoping for a loss in weight at next weigh in.

Good morning!

Today is the day: big 4-0. :crazy2:

Day started off well with my 5 year old coming in for a big cuddle, then breakfast in bed (berries, prosciutto, coffee, and a slice of toast). Heading out soon for an 8k run with my sister (yay!). Then getting a pedicure with my mom and daughter, lunch at a Thai place (going to have salad wraps and green mango salad), and then we are test driving a Camry Hybrid. Dinner is with family and friends at a local AYCE Chinese place that actually has quite a healthy set of options (poached fish, lots of sauteed veggies, etc).

Yesterday I ran 4k.

Hope y'all have a great day!

Good morning. We are up nice and early as we make prep for our trip. We leave Wednesday! We plan to be in DL May 31. If I didn't say already, this is our itinerary:

-Grand Canyon x 3 days
-DL/LA 4 days
-Sequoia NP x 3 days
-Bryce Canyon NP x 3 days
-Arches NP x 3 days

Then we have one huge roadtrip out and back. We plan on about 11000km in total. Whew!

Today we are finishing up cleaning up the house (who wants to return to a messy house?) and getting all the laundry and packing done. We are taking our motorhome to a local park today to get it all ready and packed.

And yes, we have a house sitter, alarm system, and a dog. So any internet stalking peeps: the house is well guarded! LOL

I only did about 20 minutes of core yesterday. I feel a bit bloated from my birthday dinner (and lunch) and a wedding yesterday. Today I am meeting my coach for a good workout. I'm not sure if it is a trail run or a track session. It will feel good to really have a hard workout before leaving.

I'm planning on keeping up on my distances while gone. Well, I had planned to dial it back a bit, but the coach said no. So I am sticking with 3 runs a week, including one long one. That's 2 less than I normally do in a week, but I will be supplementing the running with hiking and other exercise. We're also bring weights for toning.

Anyhow, fellow Canadians, please enjoy Victoria Day. And everyone else, have a nice Monday!

Thank you! We leave shortly. I have a few things to do around the house, and then we have to take the kids for haircuts, then we are off. We will be in Michigan by tonight, and Indiana by tomorrow night.

This week I am down a pound. It isn't much, but with two birthday parties (one was a surprise with all my girlfriends!) and a wedding, I was glad to see a loss at all. Now I am sitting at 224. Considering I was 270 ten months ago I am still pretty darn proud. Gotta keep it up over the vacation.

My workout on Monday was at the track with my coach. I did 1200m warmup, then 8 x 400 meter repeats, with recovery in between, varying from a 7:20/k down to 6:40/k paces. Was actually very comfortable. After 3 repeats, Coach had me take off my shoes and run barefoot on the rubber track as he is really working on my form and felt that I was still landing on my heels somewhat. Was a very interesting lesson and I managed to keep my pace while really working on landing forefoot. However, the track did a real number on my completely tender feel (I had just had a pedicure two days prior!) and I 'earned' big blisters: almost the entire ball of my foot and each toe surface! That wasn't his plan. So now they are healing and I need a couple days before I can run again. Even walking is painful. They will toughen up and I plan to incorporate some barefoot running into my training as I really felt how it could improve what I was doing. But ow, ow, ow! I managed to complete my other 3 laps after my shoes were back on: good mental training for continuing even with pain.

I was so pleased these last few weeks how much stronger and faster I have gotten. Did I mention that I made a goal of running a sub-30 minute 5k? Considering my first 5k last September I finished in 48 minutes I am pleased with that goal and all it will represent. Maybe I should do the same race?!? It was the Energizer Night Race.

Tonight I will use the exercise equipment in the hotel we are staying at and get in a good workout that won't affect my feet!

Tomorrow is a huge driving day: about 800km. Plan on doing whatever I can at rest stops and such.

Hi Carolynn -

just read this thread from start to finish -- WOW! Your journey has been so inspirational. All of your hard work and determination has really paid off. I hope you are enjoying a much earned rest. (Ha -- I know vacations are sometimes hard work, too! But at least it's DIFFERENT hard work, right?)

You look great and happy and (though this sounds a little strange, coming from a stranger...) I'm really proud of you.

Can't wait to keep feeling inspired by you as you reach your next goal!

Best,
Sunny

P.S. -- Happy belated birthday!

I just stumbled across this board and read the first 3 pages of your journal so far! Great job! I can't wait to finish it tonight.

Hi Carolynn!!

I feel like a total cad for missing out wishing you an amazingly happy 40th birthday last week!!! Hope that you are proud of the gift you have given yourself of renewed health!!!

At this point you are off on your big trip and I hope that is going well!! Very jealous that you will be at Disneyland soon. :-)

Have a great day!!
Mike

Hi! It has been a great vacation so far! Today we leave the lovely Grand Californian and head to see the big trees up north a bit. The resort was spectacular and we have had a really good time.

I have been walking, hiking, swimming and running. Have been running every other day or so for 3-8km. The walking at the parks is intense. Hiking at the Grand Canyon was just awesome. So much fun. The kidsanaged just over 6k, down and back up 3k each in the heat. We were glad to see the rim at te end.

I know I am down a few pounds which is great. Will keep up the activity and exercise, and eating very well.

Hope y'all are doing great!

Thanks guys!

Trying to eat very, very well. Feeling good! I have been running on this trip but mostly shorter runs of 3-8k. I have been more active in other ways, like hiking and walking, so keeping busy. I am worried that I have lost some running ground, but I will try to keep going and hit the ground running when I return. I am seeing my coach the next day after our return so will have to 'bring it'.

One thing I am mulling over is signing up for the Goofy. I cannot run the full marathon, but was thinking of signing up to just finish it with a walk/run strategy. The half would still be my goal race. I talked to my coach about it and he feels that if I work really hard over the summer that I can do it, but that he wants me to run two other half marathons before to make sure that I am solid. I have to talk to my sister as we had planned to do the Disney half as our first half, and this plan would change that.

I'm a bit worried as I find longer distances tiring. Mostly mental. I guess I was going there (as in, longer races) anyway, this would just ramp it up a little sooner. At least I know I would do ok at the Disney half with two other races under my belt.

Going to talk to my sister soon and make a plan.

Glad your trip is going well! And how exciting to be in any of those Disney races!! Go you!! :-)

Glad to hear you liked the Grand Californian. It truly is a wonderful resort. I love the pool area especially! The special entrance to CA is also great.

Have a great week!
Mike

I finally got the chance to read your whole journal....and all I can say is wow! This was just what I needed to push me back out the door. I had been a "runner" awhile back, managing 3-6 mile runs...but then I just stopped. Now that I've started this new adventure, I've wanted to get back into it, but I've been so self-conscious about it this time around. Reading your journey was just what I needed!!! Thanks!!!

Almost time for bed but wanted to post first. Am writing from Moab, UT. Heading into Arches NP tomorrow for the Fiery Furnace hike. Have had an amazing trip so far. This is our last destination and Thursday we start the long drive home, expecting to be home Sunday. It has been about 10,000 kilometers in total by the time we get home!!

Have had lots of activity this trip: swimming, hiking and running. The running has taken a back seat to hiking, as we have had so many terrific opportunities to hike in amazing locales. Yesterday we river-hiked in Zion NP in the Narrows and that was truly stunning. So fun - the kids liked this hike best. Two days before that we hiked in Bryce Canyon. Before that was Sequoia NP. I have hiked about 70km this trip, and run about 40k. Not too bad. I've also tried to spend my time in the pool as active time doing lengths.

I am pleased to announce that I have lost **50** pounds so far. Keeping it off and losing a few pounds on this trip has been my goal. I have eaten a few wicked things (like onion rings and burgers) but trying to incorporate those wicked foods within a good calorie range for the day, and eating very very well the rest of the time. I've also really tried to stay away from sugar and snacking between meals. I have gotten exercise 6/7 days in significant amounts (at least 1-3 hours a day). Feeling good.

Still mulling over Goofy - will likely sign up. The thought of 43 miles scares the pants off of me, but once I set my head on a goal.... It's 70% full so I have to commit soon. Don't expect big results from me: the half will be my race and the full will be to finish, only.

Ok all - sleep tight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter