Team Rebel Alliance Marches On...

Hi All -
I am back (I hope). I fell off the health and running wagon after my half marathon in February. But it has been a full month and it is time to get back in gear. It is funny because I was really loving exercise and chatting on WISH, but I just stopped! It has been crazy hard to get back into it.

Yesterday I did run the luck of the iWish 5K. It was the first real exercise I have had in a month :confused3 But I am glad I went out and did it. I took my DH with me (he has been just as lazy as I have) and I went at his pace, so we were pretty slow. I know I could have walked faster than we shuffled together. But it wasn't a real race, and time didn't matter. We had fun and finished. I ran (jogged/shuffled) for the entire time. It was fun and hopefully a sign we will start going again.

I didn't have a chance to catch up on what everyone has been up to, but I hope you are all doing great. And I (hope I) will be seeing you more often.

Andrea - Thanks for the kind words. Tonight I had a really nice and easy run so I feel so much better about Saturday. I am still feeling nervous but at least not like I shouldn't have even registered.

I just finished the t-shirts. They are white t-shirts that we will wear over our running shirts (it is only suppose to be a HIGH of 34 on Saturday). The front of the t-shirt says: WILL RUN FOR BEER and the back says: KISS ME, I'M ALMOST THERE! Then I put 4 leaf clovers on both the front and back. It is a St. Patrick's Day race and we get a free beer at the end so we thought they would be funny. There will be 5 of us running together in the shirts.

Barb - I love my Garmin! As I said, I still need to learn more about it and all the features that are available. I bought it from Amazon and also got the quick release kit and the bike mounting kit so that I can use it when I cross train. The heart rate monitor that comes with it has a chest strap and I don't find it all that uncomfortable.

I am excited about the race but I really wish our first race was a 5K and not a 7K. It was just that a bunch of friends were going to do this race and convinced me that I could do it. I have been running about 15-17 miles each week and know that I should be ready for this but I am still a bit nervous! I am also not real happy that it is suppose to be very cold, possibly snowy and/or raining. I am fine with the cold temperatures...I just hope that it is not wet.

I will report in as soon as I can!

Manda - Sounds like you are ready to get back on the health and runny wagon! It is hard to get going again when you take time off - I find it hard to get going each day actually! :rotfl:

I like that you run with your DH too! Looks like there are a few of us here who run with our spouse. I really like running with DH but he is 6'5" and I sometimes struggle with his pace.

AFM - Well, tonight DH and I went out for a run. We took it easy this week with the race scheduled for Saturday. We have really been struggling with our running but tonight was nice. It was great weather and we really went slow, trying to just enjoy the time. I am hoping that we go a bit faster on Saturday but that it is the same sort of just enjoyable feeling.

For those of you following along on my diet, I have to weigh in tomorrow and hope that I have lost at least a pound. It was a really rough start to the week but I think I am back on track. It is fine with me - I have lost 26 pounds (have 24 to go) and I know there are going to be weeks where I will only lose 1 pound...at least it is still a loss and I continue to go the right direction.

I will be sure to post back after our 7K! Have a great night everyone!
Jen

Jen Was your race this weekend? How did it go?

AFM run/walk is up to 9:2 but today my legs felt dead. We used the flippers in swim class on Friday and did 10 50 yard intervals. So that may be why. Total of 5 for me today.

Good day,
It hasn't snowed in more than a month and I was sure it was over. We should receive less than an inch today and that is why I keep the snow tires on my car till the middle of April :upsidedow
I went for a very short run after 7 days of resting and it went pretty good. It was very slow (7:40/km) but my leg almost did not hurt. Tomorrow I will try to do a 10k on the bike trail whrer it is flat. We will see.
Back to house cleaning.

Diane :dogdance:

Jen Was your race this weekend? How did it go?

AFM run/walk is up to 9:2 but today my legs felt dead. We used the flippers in swim class on Friday and did 10 50 yard intervals. So that may be why. Total of 5 for me today.

Yep - my race was this weekend. I will write about it below. :goodvibes

Sounds like you are doing great with your training!

Good day,
It hasn't snowed in more than a month and I was sure it was over. We should receive less than an inch today and that is why I keep the snow tires on my car till the middle of April :upsidedow
I went for a very short run after 7 days of resting and it went pretty good. It was very slow (7:40/km) but my leg almost did not hurt. Tomorrow I will try to do a 10k on the bike trail whrer it is flat. We will see.
Back to house cleaning.

We just had a really cold spell this weekend. We could easily get more snow and I can understand someone leaving on snow tires until mid-April! :rotfl:

I am glad that you were able to run today without problems. I hope that the resting took care of the problems.

AFM - I am now calling myself a runner! I did it! I went to the race, I ran the whole 7K, I crossed the finish line and it felt incredible!!!

When we woke up, we were a bit upset with the weather. It was only about 20° and this meant that we would have to bundle up a bit. I still get so hot when I run so this was troublesome to me. I decided on a short sleeve running shirt (light weight), topped with a long sleeve running shirt (light weight) and then the t-shirts we made. Our t-shirts said "WILL RUN FOR BEER" on the front and "KISS ME, I AM ALMOST THERE" on the back. I also decided on my skirt and knee highs. At the last minute, I put on a pair of cut off tights to cover the bare part of my legs.

I could not believe how many people were there when we arrived. There were 3000 entries for the race and it was crowded. I have never done a race before but I was really impressed with how organized everything was. Getting my race packet and checking in extra gear was quick and easy. The start line had a staggered start where you lined up according to pace. There was great entertainment throughout the race - bagpipes, Irish dancers, a DJ, lots of people cheering, etc. There was water and some other drink each mile along the race.

2 Things I learned:
1. Never to wear something extra at the last minute! I should have gone without the tights and just worn some pants that I checked in at the last minute. I ended up stopping at the 2nd mile to take the darn things off. First, I was too hot. Second, they were just uncomfortable.
2. Figure out a system of communication if you are running with someone else. DH and I did pretty good but we did struggle with passing other people. There were many points where I think we would not have had to slow down if we would have thought about how to pass people. DH knew that he had to keep my pace and I would sometimes get stuck behind people - I should have told him to pass on his side and I would have followed him. I was a bit surprised about how difficult it was to get around clumps of people at different points in the race.

In the end, I was fine with our time (46:04). I know DH and I will want to try to be faster in the future. We are excited to be looking for new races and to keep going with our training.

Here are a couple of photos:

100_0582.jpg

100_0591.jpg

Congratulations Jen :woohoo:
So glad to hear your race was such a success. Your picture says it all. You look so happy.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Congratulations Jen. Sounds like you had a great run.

I'm still stiff from the Hastings half yesterday. Conditions were great and I was happy with my run but I was a bit disappointed that I hadn't run a pb (personal best) as I've been working really hard on losing weight and training.

Here's the odd thing. For years I've been telling people that my half pb is 1:37. So last night I checked the results for my pb race in 2007 only to discover that I've been lying for years, my pb was 1:38:10. Not only does that make me a filthy liar, but it makes yesterdays run a pb by 4 seconds. :yay:

I don't have any photos to link to but here's the profile of the race

profile2.gif

Definitely one for the masochists.

Have a great week everyone,

Liam

:thumbsup2Congratulations on your weekend races Liam & Jen!:thumbsup2
Liam- those hills look strenuous! I think your time is incredible at those elevations!
Jen- you sure are a runner! You ran the whole 7K?!? Not a walk in there anywhere? I am so impressed! I haven't been able to get through a 5K yet without walking, even just a little! Congratulations! I love the pictures...you sure look like a runner too-that is part of the fun!
You both inspire me to get my calendar out and line up some Springtime races and distance goals!
~Barb

Hello! I haven't checked in for awhile. Bob and I are still getting out there-we ran 4 miles yesterday in the beautiful Spring weather here in PA!
I signed up for dailymile last week and imported all my workout info from Nike+ running.
This is my link:
http://www.dailymile.com/people/LuckyMum22
If anyone else is on there, please let me know you are from our team. It is a great way to keep track of each others progress!
It is getting harder to keep up with everyone~hope all is well!

Barb, just wanted to let you know that I talked to Maura, who has been arranging the teams, and let her know that we are starting to get a little large. She has put out an inquiry to see of anyone is interested in starting a new team.

Good day,
Back to house cleaning.

Diana, glad you made it through your first run back with little pain. Make sure not to overdo it, though. :hug:

Yep - my race was this weekend. I will write about it below. :goodvibes

Sounds like you are doing great with your training!

We just had a really cold spell this weekend. We could easily get more snow and I can understand someone leaving on snow tires until mid-April! :rotfl:

I am glad that you were able to run today without problems. I hope that the resting took care of the problems.

AFM - I am now calling myself a runner! I did it! I went to the race, I ran the whole 7K, I crossed the finish line and it felt incredible!!!

When we woke up, we were a bit upset with the weather. It was only about 20° and this meant that we would have to bundle up a bit. I still get so hot when I run so this was troublesome to me. I decided on a short sleeve running shirt (light weight), topped with a long sleeve running shirt (light weight) and then the t-shirts we made. Our t-shirts said "WILL RUN FOR BEER" on the front and "KISS ME, I AM ALMOST THERE" on the back. I also decided on my skirt and knee highs. At the last minute, I put on a pair of cut off tights to cover the bare part of my legs.

I could not believe how many people were there when we arrived. There were 3000 entries for the race and it was crowded. I have never done a race before but I was really impressed with how organized everything was. Getting my race packet and checking in extra gear was quick and easy. The start line had a staggered start where you lined up according to pace. There was great entertainment throughout the race - bagpipes, Irish dancers, a DJ, lots of people cheering, etc. There was water and some other drink each mile along the race.

2 Things I learned:
1. Never to wear something extra at the last minute! I should have gone without the tights and just worn some pants that I checked in at the last minute. I ended up stopping at the 2nd mile to take the darn things off. First, I was too hot. Second, they were just uncomfortable.
2. Figure out a system of communication if you are running with someone else. DH and I did pretty good but we did struggle with passing other people. There were many points where I think we would not have had to slow down if we would have thought about how to pass people. DH knew that he had to keep my pace and I would sometimes get stuck behind people - I should have told him to pass on his side and I would have followed him. I was a bit surprised about how difficult it was to get around clumps of people at different points in the race.

In the end, I was fine with our time (46:04). I know DH and I will want to try to be faster in the future. We are excited to be looking for new races and to keep going with our training.

Jen, congrats on your first race! :cheer2: Sounds like you had a lot of fun. For my half, my time was slow, but the way I figure, my pr has no where to go but up! Next time you'll have had experience, so you'll be even faster. And you look so cute in your skirt with the green socks. Love the shirts, too.

Congratulations Jen. Sounds like you had a great run.

I'm still stiff from the Hastings half yesterday. Conditions were great and I was happy with my run but I was a bit disappointed that I hadn't run a pb (personal best) as I've been working really hard on losing weight and training.

Here's the odd thing. For years I've been telling people that my half pb is 1:37. So last night I checked the results for my pb race in 2007 only to discover that I've been lying for years, my pb was 1:38:10. Not only does that make me a filthy liar, but it makes yesterdays run a pb by 4 seconds. :yay:

I don't have any photos to link to but here's the profile of the race

profile2.gif

Definitely one for the masochists.

Have a great week everyone,

Liam

Congrats on your race, Liam! :cheer2: I'm sorry that you're a liar, but glad it turns out you made pr! :yay: What made you go back and check your time from 07?

My weekend was shi**y. We euthanized our furbaby on Saturday morning. He was so sick, all he did was lay around the house and throw up. The last few days he even stopped eating. When I would come home from work, he could barely lift his head up to greet me. It was so sad. His belly was grossly distended and we thought maybe the spleen (where the cancer started) or the liver (where it went next) had made his stomach bloat, but the vet said that whole area was the tumor. It was probably about 8 inches in diameter. Anyway, sorry to get gross.

But the family was there with him in the end and I was looking right into his eyes, rubbing his nose and telling him he was my baby when he passed. I take great comfort in knowing he is not in any more pain and he is at rest. But it still sucks bad. I like to think he's somewhere with my 2 childhood dogs, the great big old sweet black lab and the grumpy little lhaso apso that bossed him around.

Okay, I'm off the pity train now.

Time to get back to eating right and getting my walking in. I've really been lax since the Princess, but I need to make sure that is not the end of my journey. I'm still hoping to be in the Dismal Swamp Stomp next month. I think I need some races during the summer to keep me going. Right now I have the Rock 'n' Roll in September and the Wine and Dine in October. Of course, we can't all be like Katie and have a half every other weekend! :rolleyes:

Okay, Rebels. Here are some options for our "logo." This is the original one the team was using when it started:

rebel-1.gif

Here is a generic "rebel alliance" thing I found online:

th_rebel.jpg

And here are the designs I have come up with so far:

th_rebelalliance4-1.jpg
rebelalliance4-2.jpg
rebelalliance4-2-1.jpg

th_RebelAlliance5.jpg

th_rebelalliance3.jpg

th_rebelalliance-4.jpg

th_rebelalliance3-1.jpg

th_rebelalliance2.jpg

If someone out there can come up with something more creative, I would love to see it. Or, if you guys have suggestions for the above designs, I would love to hear those, too. If they all suck, you can go ahead and keep that to yourself! ;)

Okay, Rebels. Here are some options for our "logo." This is the original one the team was using when it started:

rebel-1.gif

Here is a generic "rebel alliance" thing I found online:

th_rebel.jpg

And here are the designs I have come up with so far:

th_rebelalliance4-1.jpg

th_RebelAlliance5.jpg

th_rebelalliance3.jpg

th_rebelalliance-4.jpg

th_rebelalliance3-1.jpg

th_rebelalliance2.jpg

If someone out there can come up with something more creative, I would love to see it. Or, if you guys have suggestions for the above designs, I would love to hear those, too. If they all suck, you can go ahead and keep that to yourself! ;)

I am at work right now but on my first peek at them....I LOVE THEM! Great job Andrea! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for our team. I can't wait to pick one and add it to my signature!

Andrea - I am so sorry for your weekend. I absolutely feel your pain and you are in my prayers. That is so painful to watch and the thought that I will someday lose my furbaby is unbearable. :grouphug:

Love the logos, BTW. Totally catching up on reading the thread.

Jen - love the will run for beer. I have to run because of beer, so i get it. Corona's always seem to be calling my name.

Liam - congrats on your race and your personal best. That's amazing.

AFM, no running the past few days. I just really enjoyed the NYC weather. I'll get back on track this week. The good news is I lost 3 pounds. So I'll take the small victory.

Hope everyone has an awesome week!!!!

Gretchen - I was so happy at the end of the race! I was thrilled that I had actually ran the whole thing and so proud of myself for just getting out there.

Liam - WOW! I am so impressed with your race! What a great accomplishment! It is kind of funny that you had the wrong race time....great that you now have a new pb!

Barb - Thanks! I was so excited that I was able to run the whole thing. We started pretty slow just to be sure that we would make it because DH and I have only done 7K in training twice. I did not want to start fast and then not be able to keep it up. I know that the next race we do we will be much faster!

We were so excited after the race that even DH is now looking for races that will work with our schedule. I think he is even going to train with me for a 1/2 marathon! We will need to keep motivated though because that is a huge distance to us at this point.

Glad you found me on the daily mile! We can keep on encouraging each other!!!:goodvibes

Andrea - I did not get a chance to comment earlier. I am so sorry about your dog. That had to be a really tough weekend for you. It is so sad to watch when our pets are suffering. I am glad that you were able to be with him at the end and give him comfort. It is not a pity train when something like this happens...you totally need to come here for some support! :hug:

Your races sound like a lot of fun! I so wish that I lived closer to WDW to do all the great races they have! I am kind of struggling with finding races in Minnesota. I know there are tons of them and I am finding resources here and there. I just feel like I am missing a lot - for example, the race that I ran this weekend was not listed on any of the sites I found. I will continue to hunt and hopefully find more!

Jane - Glad to hear that you liked the shirt! ;) This race was sponsored by a new Irish pub and each person who crossed the finish line got a free beer! We thought it would be a funny thing to put on the shirts! I teased everyone that it was the beer that inspired me to run my first race! :rotfl:

Great job on your weight loss! Are you trying to lose more? I am working on losing 23 more pounds. It seems like a huge number but since I have already lost 27...I know I can do the last half!

AFM - We did not run yesterday even though it was beautiful! I did get a great workout though because DD and I did some power shopping and I got tons of walking in. Tonight DH and I are planning on running and I am looking forward to it because it should be nice out again.

Later -
Jen

Good rainy (grrrrr) afternoon ,
Andrea- I am so sorry about your dog. :hug:. It is so nice that the whole family was there for the little furbaby at the end.
Jen- You are now a runner. Congratulation. Like George Shehan used to say:" The difference between someone who jog and someone who run is an entry form for a race." Or something like that :upsidedow.
Liam- I am not sure I like the elevation of the race course. Congratulation.
ASM- I did a 6k run this morning in the bike trail and it went pretty well. I will take tomorrow off and try a 10k on Wednesday.

Diane:dogdance:

Quick Question (for those of you who do a lot of races):

The friends who I ran with this last weekend invited me to do a 1/2 marathon with them at the start of June. Is this a realistic idea?

At this point, I am very comfortable running a 5K. The 7K on Saturday was also fine and I felt like I could have gone farther. The race would be in 11 weeks.

My friends feel like I should not have any problems with this time frame but I want some other opinions. If you were a new runner, would you sign up for something so big already?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this topic!
Jen

Jen - yes i'm trying to lose weight. I've been trying since I was around 5. I'm 32 now, but you know, any day now I'll get to my goal. :) Congrats on your success so far. Are you doing any specific diet? I love tips, tricks, hints and nudges to make me make better choices.

As for your half marathon question, I have no idea. I'm still learning the ins and outs myself of how to get the right training going and keep motivated and injury free.

Tonight I'm planning on getting back out there now that the rain has passed. Should be a great run as the weather is awesome here in NYC now that it's spring. Hope everyone has a great day!!!

luckymum22, disney_mommy, wdwprncess77, jenanderson, french lady - Thanks for all of your congratulations. I'm so pleased to run a pb, even by 4 seconds. I'd only looked up my previous time to see how much I'd missed it by.

My friends feel like I should not have any problems with this time frame but I want some other opinions. If you were a new runner, would you sign up for something so big already?

I can't think of a single reason that you shouldn't go for a half marathon. As I think I've posted before, I was your typical drinking, smoking, overweight non-runner when I was persuaded to do a 10K. That was in April, the 10k was in July and I did my first half marathon the following September. I certainly didn't think of myself as a natural runner. Still don't really.

11 weeks is plenty of time for a half training schedule and the feeling of achievement is well worth the effort. Then you'll need to sign up for a marathon to get your fix.:scared1:

Hello everyone, I thought I would introduce myself because I am new to the WISH team. My name is James and I am a long distance fitness walker. I have sighed up for the 2011 Goofy, as I look back now, it might have been a tad ambitious on my part. I am going to train all this year for it and I hope to be ready by January. In two weeks I am going to participate in my first half marathon and I am starting to get excited about it. Then I am going to train for a marathon in October, in hopes that what I learn from it will help me get prepared for the Goofy.

Anyway here is my race schedule so far.

04/03/10 Lincoln Memorial Half Marathon
08/22/10 Abe’s Amble 10K
10/03/10 Lewis & Clark Marathon
12/05/10 Frostbite Festival 10Mile

Probably some 5K charity races and walks mixed in throughout the year.

2011 WDW Goofy

Welcome James!

Jen You'll never know until you try! If you have to walk towards the end, there's certainly no shame in that. My conversion may be all wrong, but 7k is about 4 miles, right? So most novice half marathon programs do a long run of 10 miles. Then you only need to increase your long run by about a half a mile a week. Am I right? Someone jump in if I'm wrong!

AFM We used the flippers in swim class again yesterday and my feet are all torn up and blistered from the flippers sliding around. This morning's run on the treadmill certainly was a little more uncomfortable than usual.

I am at work right now but on my first peek at them....I LOVE THEM! Great job Andrea! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for our team. I can't wait to pick one and add it to my signature!

I'm glad you like them! If we want to choose one as a team to use, that's fine, or anyone is welcome to choose the one they like. Also, I'm still open to suggestions.

Andrea - I am so sorry for your weekend. I absolutely feel your pain and you are in my prayers. That is so painful to watch and the thought that I will someday lose my furbaby is unbearable. :grouphug:

Love the logos, BTW. Totally catching up on reading the thread.

AFM, no running the past few days. I just really enjoyed the NYC weather. I'll get back on track this week. The good news is I lost 3 pounds. So I'll take the small victory.

Hope everyone has an awesome week!!!!

Thanks for the kind words. It's still so weird at home without him. When I got home yesterday, I looked through the side window, expecting to see him standing there waiting for me with his tail wagging. It's just not the same.

Glad you like the logos.

3 pounds is great - congrats!

Glad you found me on the daily mile! We can keep on encouraging each other!!!:goodvibes

Andrea - I did not get a chance to comment earlier. I am so sorry about your dog. That had to be a really tough weekend for you. It is so sad to watch when our pets are suffering. I am glad that you were able to be with him at the end and give him comfort. It is not a pity train when something like this happens...you totally need to come here for some support! :hug:

Your races sound like a lot of fun! I so wish that I lived closer to WDW to do all the great races they have! I am kind of struggling with finding races in Minnesota. I know there are tons of them and I am finding resources here and there. I just feel like I am missing a lot - for example, the race that I ran this weekend was not listed on any of the sites I found. I will continue to hunt and hopefully find more!

AFM - We did not run yesterday even though it was beautiful! I did get a great workout though because DD and I did some power shopping and I got tons of walking in. Tonight DH and I are planning on running and I am looking forward to it because it should be nice out again.

Later -
Jen

In case anyone is interested, I am also on dailymile, under the same screen name. There's a whole 'nother level of accountability with people following you on that...

As for finding races, I've found a few resources, and not every race was listed on every site. Google has been my friend!

Power shopping - my kind of workout!

Good rainy (grrrrr) afternoon ,
Andrea- I am so sorry about your dog. :hug:. It is so nice that the whole family was there for the little furbaby at the end.

ASM- I did a 6k run this morning in the bike trail and it went pretty well. I will take tomorrow off and try a 10k on Wednesday.

Diane:dogdance:

Thanks for the kind words, Diane. We're helping each other get through it.

How did your 10k go? Are you still feeling okay?

Quick Question (for those of you who do a lot of races):

The friends who I ran with this last weekend invited me to do a 1/2 marathon with them at the start of June. Is this a realistic idea?

At this point, I am very comfortable running a 5K. The 7K on Saturday was also fine and I felt like I could have gone farther. The race would be in 11 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this topic!
Jen

Jen, I say definitely sign up for the race! Most training plans for half marathons are anywhere from 8-12 weeks. You are already on the way, so I would just find a training program that matches where you are now and keep it up. It would be fun for you and your friends to do another race together.

AFM We used the flippers in swim class again yesterday and my feet are all torn up and blistered from the flippers sliding around. This morning's run on the treadmill certainly was a little more uncomfortable than usual.

Yikes! Could you buy your own personal set of flippers that would fit you better? That's terrible to have such a rough time because of that. Hope they heal quickly.

Well, I went ahead and re-joined Weight Watchers this morning. I finally really got a look at myself and decided it was time to get serious. Now let's see where my motivation is tomorrow when I actually start the program...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter