Tangled

Distopia

Mouseketeer
We just saw the 3D version and thought it was great! Just wondering what everyone thinks as more people see it.

We saw it today! (not 3D).

Overall I really liked it. My 6-yo daughter had tears flowing at the end. For some reason the movie scared her, not sure why, it's not any scarier than other Disney animations (I would say less so - PatF was way scarier to me) - which has never bothered her before.

I think the only area that I found lacking was the songs - it's just not a soundtrack purchase for me. I know all the words to the songs in LM, BatB, Pochontas, LK, HoND, Mulan, Hercules. These songs just aren't as memorable. I did enjoy Mother Gothel's song. I just don't see these songs as broadway worthy (by this I mean singable and acted out - in high school my best friend and I used to act out Ariel and Ursula in Poor Unfortunate Souls.)

But I loved the animation - I loved the subtle freckles on her face (the hair did remind me of barbie hair fresh out of the box). the "water" effects were incredible. The movie was just visually stunning and everything I could have hoped for, based on the concept art.

For full disclosure - I was 18 when BatB came out. At that time I said I would love for them to come out with a Rapunzel movie. I've had a friend and a family member work at WDW and I would tell them the same through the years. I've had my eye on this movie since the first concept art was leaked. I've waited almost 20 years for this film. Overall it did not disappoint, and I'm glad I got to see it on opening day and that my daughter was the perfect age to see and enjoy it. I give it a solid B+.

Just home from seeing it in 3D. Really liked it. It isn't my favorite Disney movie, and cannot even be considered in the same class as Pixar, but really really good.

And totally worth seeing in 3D. The lantern scenes in 3D were amazing. Kids and even adults in the theater were reaching out to touch them, I've never seen a 3D effect so cool in a movie before.

Comic sidekicks Maximus and Pascal were not over the top, but were just funny enough. Flynn showed some great character growth through the movie. Rapunzel, what a great role model princess for my daughter, so strong and brave and loving. And scenes like the Snuggly Duckling, well, we loved it.

I laughed. I cried. I felt like clapping and cheering at the end. My only dislike would be the "Mother Knows Best" song, and I didn't feel that Mother Gothel was villainous enough during most of the movie. I admit, though, the scene with the launching of the lanterns was breathtaking, and I loved the song that went with that part.

But otherwise, a great family film, if you go see it, you have to :3dglasses see it in 3D, just for those lanterns.

Had a girls day today and we all loved it. I hope the animators get to see all the kids reach out to touch the lantern, that scene was simply magical. I agree with pp about the music, doesn't meet the standard set by Beauty and the Beast, but far exceeds anything put out by any of the studios lately (except Pixar). I give it an A-.

I happened to watch it twice on opening day (for work, actually) and found that it got better the second time around (and I already really enjoyed it the first time).

To me, it's a return to form for Disney and the company's best in over 15 years.

Shameless plug, but my thoughts can be found on my blog -- rymickey.blogspot.com

Overall, a real win for the company and one that I hope will make them realize that movies like this are what the company was based on and should make (at the very least) every now and then.

To me, it's a return to form for Disney and the company's best in over 15 years.

I totally agree. I was concerned from the trailers that it was going to be really goofy and more like Shrek-style humor, but it was a true, Disney fairy-tale.

I LOVED it. And I do mean love. At first, I wasn't as impressed by the songs, but it's true, the more you listen to them, the more wonderful they become. Especially 'I See the Light." I must have listened to it 20 times since getting home. It made me cry at the theatre, and many times listening at home on youtube. AND I left my cel phone somewhere, probably at the theatre.

I think seeing it a second time, I will love it even more.

Disney, please keep making movies like this! Only, classically animated, like you gave Glen Keane the chance to change when he was already almost half finished. This style is lovely, but nothing compares with classical animation!

Rapunzel was SO adorable, especially as a little girl. And Flynn was so dashing. I was so happy that it wasn't just like Shrek (don't get me wrong, I love Shrek, just not for a Disney Princess movie) - like many of you I was worried about that. The humour was more dead-pan and reminded me of Emperor's New Groove. Go Disney magic! And I looove Alan Menken.

They should have used some of the music in trailers. Just because it's trendy to be like Shrek doesn't mean you have to focus on only that side of a movie in advertising.

Great job guys! A+

I See the Light on Youtube

I totally agree. I was concerned from the trailers that it was going to be really goofy and more like Shrek-style humor, but it was a true, Disney fairy-tale.

I had the same thought... but being a Disney geek, I randomly decided to go to a midnight showing in 3D Wed night on my way home from seeing Harry Potter earlier with friends. I was totally blown away because it was way more magical and like a classic Disney movie than I'd expected from the commercials. (I hadn't read much about the movie and based on the commercials, I was surprised it even had music)

I have 2 nieces who are itching to see the movie so I have the perfect excuse to go back. ;)

I saw it in 3-D today and I really liked. I've downloaded the soundtrack so I can listen to the songs again. I agree they aren't at BATB standards but Howard Ashman was the lyricist there. Can't get much better than someone who's written Broadway plays. I can totally see Mandy Moore in Rapunzel, especially at the end (I won't give away why). And I liked the balance between Rapunzel and Flynn.

I think I was also the only adult in the theater without a kid. I was also the only adult without a kid when I saw Princess and the Frog and Toy Story 3, but it's totally worth it. I've grown up with these films and I circle the calendar date when the release is announced :goodvibes

We saw the regular 2D version today. It was DS (6), DH (38), and me (37). 3d can sometimes trigger migraines for me or make me motion sick, so we tend to stick to the regular ones. We really enjoyed it. As a PP mentioned, it was more on par with the traditional Disney movie classics (Beauty and the Beast, etc.). I had read a review that compared it to The Little Mermaid, especially because of the boat scene. The review was not very favorable to the movie. I completely disagree. I thought Zachary Levi was a great choice to voice Flynn. I didn't see him as over the top. I thought the struggle between going against her "mother" and being able to see the outside was funny and well done. I loved most of the music. The scenes with the lanterns were neat. I enjoyed Pascal, but Maximus won my heart. There wasn't any potty humor. Rapunzel came across as a good role model for little girls. The frying pan scenes were great too. At the end, DS had tears in his eyes. For him, it was probably one of the better movies we have seen in a while.

I saw it yesterday and thought it was well made, the characters were good, especially Maximus the horse, the plot and animation was well done, and the action sequences certantly set tangled apart from the other princess films.

But their are two problems about this movie I didnt like, one is that the songs weren't catchy enough, none of them felt like classics like part of your world or beauty and the beast, they were just forgetable, the closest they got to something catchy was the "I've got Dream" number.

The second problem was the villian, Mother Gothel, wasnt interesting, she was more like Lady Termaine than Maleifcent, she didnt even use magic beyound rapunzles hair, she didnt have any other evil intention than rather using her to keep her young forever, she began off too nice and by the time she snapped I began to dislike her and was happy to watch her turn to dust, other than that it was a fun movie.

I saw in 3D with Christina,Katie,& Lisa :3dglasses I suggest you go see it in 3D,it's beautiful♥

I keep hearing that people hate the songs. Seriously,they are very catchy. Especially "I Got A Dream",it makes me laugh every time I hear it:goodvibes. I think "Mother Knows Best" was very good too,but "I See The Light" was so beautiful♥

I love Rapunzel,and most the little girls clapped when Rapunzel was singing her song :-). She's a very good role model to little girls. Flynn Rider,oh how I love you♥ I liked how he wasn't a prince,and had a sweet side. His real name was very surprising:lmao:. Pascal was very adorable and cute C: And Maximus,I LOVE HIM:lovestruc.

The lantern scene kind of reminded me of The Little Mermaid,one of my favorite Disney movies♥ But the song just took my breathe away. I was crying so much at the end,but I love when Flynn says at the end,
"Do you know I'm attracted to brunettes?"♥

Overall it was so beautiful and I can't wait to see it again with my sister and when does it out on DVD?:teeth:

I saw it today (in 2D, I really hate wrestling the 3D glasses and am still convinced they make things look dim) and enjoyed it way more than I expected to (agreed, the promos made it look much more snarky/"Shrek-y").

Favorite character: Maximus!! Gold stars all around to his animators; his expressions and mannerisms were priceless. I loved the business when he and Flynn were poking and punching each other like a couple of squabbling kids in the back seat. And I have to say, I always thought "Flynn Rider" was such a corny, overly-obvious name for the Swashbuckling Cad - ha ha ha, loved that they actually explained it.

I actually thought Mother Gothel was plenty nasty, because, as a manipulative emotional blackmailer, she was the sort of "villain" you might actually have the misfortune to cross paths with in real life (akin to the self-righteous Frollo in HoND or the petty tyrant Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter).

Just got back from seeing Tangled!

I have to agree...I was really excited about this movie when I first heard about it but did not have high hopes, as the commercials made me nervous it was going to be all goofy.

DH and I both LOVED it! In fact, when we were walking out he said, "This is what it must have felt like when people walked out of seeing The Little Mermaid 20 years ago." It really felt like a Disney classic. I thought the songs were great, especially the "I have a Dream." The animation was really great too. The funny parts were really funny but not over the top, in your face. I can't wait to see it again!

:thumbsup2 Exactly how I felt. I was so pleased. :goodvibes

I agree - thought Princess and the Frog was good and this was even a bit better (story wise).

songs are not up to the Beauty, Aladdin, Mermaid run, but have to hear them more. plot was really good and characters were very interesting

3d is a waste - just see it in 2d

I just got back from seeing this, it destroyed my expectations in the best way thinkable.

I can't really say anything bad about this, I personally rank it up there with Little Mermaid. :eek:
(which is my favorite movie ever.)

Favorite character: Maximus!! Gold stars all around to his animators; his expressions and mannerisms were priceless. I loved the business when he and Flynn were poking and punching each other like a couple of squabbling kids in the back seat.....I actually thought Mother Gothel was plenty nasty, because, as a manipulative emotional blackmailer, she was the sort of "villain" you might actually have the misfortune to cross paths with in real life (akin to the self-righteous Frollo in HoND or the petty tyrant Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter).

I 100% agree with these statements!! I read a review where the reviewer stated that they wished the credits wouldve shown the main animators of the characters because of Maximus. They did such an incredible job with Maximus and Pascal!!

Mother Gothel is the worst kind of villain actually. She is phsychologically abusive and cruel without the person even realizing it. I mean if people think she was "too nice" at first then the writers did a great job on her cause I found nothing nice about her.

If your one who doesnt think the music is memorable, go back and see the movie again. I have seen it twice now....once in 3D and once in 2D and now I can get the songs out of my head.

Even my bro-in-law (who is not a princess movie fan) loved the movie. I was shocked when we walked out and he said he liked it better than TS3!!! I did leave the movie feeling the way I did when I first saw The Little Mermaid. I hope Disney thinks twice about this princess movie hault they have been talking about. All they need are the right people in control of these movies. Glen Keane!!! Lassater to make sure its got the heart Pixar movies have. I just saw an interview with Byron Howard and apparently he was a tour guide in Disney MGM in the late 80's for the animation attraction....now he directs this wonderful piece of Disney history....and this is the 50th animated movie.

I took my 9 year old DD and my 10 year old Goddaughter today.

We loved it! Despite no talking animals,:rolleyes: it did create some moments of Disney magic for us.

I thought it was a fresh angle on the Rapunzel story and the dialogue was "modern" but didn't seem out of place in the film.

The girls thought it was a notch or two better than PatF -and I agree.

Great job Disney!

3d is a waste - just see it in 2d

I loved the 3D - seeing the depth it added to the screen, and that magical moment when the two lanterns were floating right in front of your face and everywhere in the theater I could see these little hands reaching for them (I read about that in a review earlier, so I was watching for that part, so precious to hear all these little voices laughing and see those hands reaching, pure Disney magic).

There is also a scene where a butterfly appears to fly from behind you as you are watching, and into the screen to land on Flynn's face. My daughter was totally impressed by that, and when it happened this little toddler behind me just laughed.

3D is totally the way to go with this movie, IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter