• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suzy and Perla Skip the Lines Again: From roughing it to the lap of luxury

You know a small plastic dish tub (like from a Dollar General) wouldn't be a bad idea. If nothing else you could use it to store things in. You never know if you might need to soak a t shirt covered in mustard.

I'm excited to read about your trip when you get back. Can't wait to hear how the hubbys survived tent camping! :rotfl:

I have another question for you: How strict are CMs about checking times on Fastpasses? Do you have to use them during the return time listed or can you use it anytime after it is available.
TIA!!!

A little tub is a good idea. To the shopping list! :thumbsup2

Excellent question about the FP's. NO! You don't have to use them by the end of the return time. There is much debate on these boards but no debate at all in the parks. You must wait until the beginning of your return time. But after that, you may use them any time that day.

If you do an image search for Fastpass you'll see a few things (I can't find a photo in mine for some reason.) Found some!

Here is the TSM Line. It looks fine this day, but on a typical morning it is PACKED. But you can see the return time there and the machines in which you stick your tickets:
IMG_0537.jpg

HollywoodStudios-Fastpass-ToyStoryM.jpg

It says: Fastpass Toy Story Mania. Return time 4:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Dec 3, 2009 Another Fastpass will be available at 12:35 a.m.

So to translate: If you got to the TSM machine at 10:35 a.m. and put each of your family's tickets into it (and yes, each member must be in the same park as you) it would spit out an FP for each of you with a return time of 4:30 p.m. Even though it has an end time (5:30) this is NEVER enforced. So from 4:30 till park closing you can use that FP.

And you can get another FP two hours after you get your first one (12:35 a.m.) OR as soon as the window opens. So if you got a Soarin' FP at 9:00 am with a return time of 9:45 a.m. you would be able to get a second set of FP's at 9:45 a.m.

This is why it is essential those first 4 hours in the park to collect as many FP's as you can and ride as many non-FP rides as possible. Often you can collect many, every 45-60 minutes. Then you can hold onto them until much later in the day when lines are very long.

How was that? Clear as mud?

I searched & searched and finally found group of FP's in Suzy & my pics. These are Disneyland but you can see that you can get a LOT of FP's in a day for a variety of times. And then go use them.

IMG_0722.jpg

We got those all in the first few hours in the parks. Now, mind you, it was pouring and empty but even still Donald and I successfully did EVERY SINGLE RIDE we wanted to ride in BOTH California parks on ONE day. That is impressive. So doing one park in one day, even a busy day, can be accomplished.

Wanted to add to the above picture: If you look carefully at those FP's (and have memories of them like me ;)) you can see the return times are: Haunted Mansion: 9:50 am, California Screamin': 10:45, Tower of Terror: 11:35, Indiana Jones: 1:10, Space Mountain was somewhere in the 3:00-4:00 hour. World of Color is a night time show, you can get that one anytime, it's not linked time wise to the others.

Anyway, you can see that we were VERY responsible our first 4 hours in the parks. While collecting those we rode all the Fantasyland rides, all of Toontown, met Mickey Mouse, rode TSM (no FP in Cali), etc. In the afternoon we did a lot of shows and did Animation Studios and a bunch of other rides that never get long lines.

Then we used up the FP's.

So can you go in June? If you CAREFULLY do EXACTLY what Suzy and I tell you to. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

So can you go in June? If you CAREFULLY do EXACTLY what Suzy and I tell you to. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

:laughing: Since it looks like June is when we are going, I need to start taking careful notes!!! I'll take any advice you want to give.

The Fastpass advice did make sense. :thumbsup2 In adding to my education on the Fastpass, what does the rest of your family do when someone makes a run to get more? Do you all go together? Do they get in line for the next attraction? Potty break? Sorry if this is too many questions, but I really am curious. And I have this personality that I like to know how things are supposed to work or happen before I am in the situation.

Suzy - ? for you......why post its for the bathroom?

I love how organized you both are.

:laughing: Since it looks like June is when we are going, I need to start taking careful notes!!! I'll take any advice you want to give.

The Fastpass advice did make sense. :thumbsup2 In adding to my education on the Fastpass, what does the rest of your family do when someone makes a run to get more? Do you all go together? Do they get in line for the next attraction? Potty break? Sorry if this is too many questions, but I really am curious. And I have this personality that I like to know how things are supposed to work or happen before I am in the situation.

Running to get FP's doesn't really take that long. One of us normally does it while the others are: riding something we don't need to ride (like Dumbo), riding something that the babies can't ride (we push them in the double stroller to the FP area as the designated FP runner AND baby watcher), going to the bathroom, putting on sunblock, etc. Here's an example:

MK: Everyone goes to Dumbo. Suzy runs to Space Mt. She gets back as we get on and video tapes us. Then later they go to Haunted Mansion. I take anyone who will be scared and go get Splash Mt. FP's. Then later we are eating lunch. Donald eats quickly anyway. When done, he dashes to get BTMRR Fp's. He's back WAY before we're all done eating, cleaning up, going potty. Later the family is on their way to pirates but the kids pause to watch the parade. You say, I'll meet you there. And dash to grab Jungle Cruise FP's. And so on.

And P.S.: no questions are too much for us. That's what we're here for! What are the ages of your kids again? I've forgotten and am too lazy to go back and look. (blush)

Good question:thumbsup2 I'm impressed that you took the time to read that list so thoroughly:rotfl:. The post it's are to stick over the sensor on the automatic flush toilets. If Jack Jack is sitting on the pot and it flushes automatically while he's there, he's done for the day.:rotfl2: this happens a lot with little kids because the sensor doesn't detect them so it thinks they've stood up. If you stick a post it on the sensor it will not flush until you take it off. Especially helpful for me because Jack Jack also needs privacy when he's taking care of business. So I can stand outside the stall for as long as it takes with no danger of a terrifying flush. Hope this wasn't tmi ;)

Of course, I learned this tip from a fellow disser. Thank you disboards!:worship:

Basketball
Football

and here's a couple pictures of my dining room:
packing2.jpg

packing3.jpg

Just want to say two things: Basketball + football = genius! Bet we use those a lot. Or some of us do. Tho you better bring a second ball for Jack Jack.

Second, I want to tell our readers, Suzy has another table in her kitchen. So her family will still be able to eat this week. :rotfl: Thank goodness because that room is FULL!

And now they have cell phones and purses and they do hair. :sad2:

Adorable!!!

After coming home from this little trip I set to make mickey shaped empanadas.

Here's the filling:
66a3ce69.jpg

And here is the recipe, because it's AWESOME so you'll want to make it, I'm sure.

4 large chicken breasts, still frozen
1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
taco seasoning packet
1/2 cup salsa

Add all those to a crockpot and cook on high 8 hours.
When chicken is cooked through and tender, shred.

Yum! I made 6 chicken breasts yesterday and we had the extra in tacos for dinner.

Add to that:
4 oz neufchatel cheese (light cream cheese)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
Chopped fresh cilantro to taste

Mix really well.

This makes an enormous amount of filling. But it freezes great and is delicious in all kinds of things.

To make the empanadas I buy refrigerated pie crust. I bought 3 packs (6 rounds) to use all this filling.

All I have is a 3 inch cookie cutter. So I had to cut out my mickeys and then roll them carefully twice as big. ANNOYING and time consuming.

Brush with an egg wash and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minute until golden brown.
Thanks for this! I don't have a mickey shaped cutter so they will be plain old circles, but this is a great idea for dinner on the drive down!

In June we are staying at a wonderful house in Windsor Hills.
Well I came by for the empanada recipe but since one day I'd love to camp, and this year I am going to WH for the first time, I am staying! :thumbsup2

Adorable!!!

Thanks for this! I don't have a mickey shaped cutter so they will be plain old circles, but this is a great idea for dinner on the drive down!

Well I came by for the empanada recipe but since one day I'd love to camp, and this year I am going to WH for the first time, I am staying! :thumbsup2

Don't worry, circles are MUCH easier. Just cut circles and then fold them over to make a traditional empanada shape (half moon.) I wouldn't let the kids eat Mickey shaped ones while I was making them. When I saw a kid wander into the kitchen I'd yell, "Eat an empanada shaped one!"

As for Windsor Hills, that is coming up. But if you can't wait, Suzy and my very first together TR ever was a wonderful trip at Windsor Hills. You can find it here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=29153980#post29153980:cheer2:

Or Our Great 10 day 2008 Adventure in my signature.

Good question:thumbsup2 I'm impressed that you took the time to read that list so thoroughly:rotfl:. The post it's are to stick over the sensor on the automatic flush toilets. If Jack Jack is sitting on the pot and it flushes automatically while he's there, he's done for the day.:rotfl2: this happens a lot with little kids because the sensor doesn't detect them so it thinks they've stood up. If you stick a post it on the sensor it will not flush until you take it off. Especially helpful for me because Jack Jack also needs privacy when he's taking care of business. So I can stand outside the stall for as long as it takes with no danger of a terrifying flush. Hope this wasn't tmi ;)

Of course, I learned this tip from a fellow disser. Thank you disboards!:worship:

Haha I was going to ask Suzy about the postits for the bathroom as well. Its a great idea because I know those sensor thingys have freaked out my kids a time or two when they were little(r).

So as we get closer & closer (4 days!) Suzy & I are picking things off our list. Here are today's things:

1) Weigh-in at our little town competition. It was 10 weeks. Suzy lost 12 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on, ya'll clap for her. That's super awesome. I lost 5.5 pounds and am thrilled. We are both Weight Watchers for life and they have a new program that we both love. Plus we both exercise so we are pretty healthy for our late 30's. Relatively speaking. Ok, fine. We're on the healthy side of junk food junkies. But now we can just be free for the next 14 days and not really worry about our waist lines.

2) I got a few more shorts for the family and Donald some needed swim trunks.

3) I got light sticks/glow necklaces. My girls just "need" them while we're at WDW and they are cheap so it's an easy thrill.

4) I got my fridge cleaned out.

5) I got sheets changed and the girl's room(s) cleaned. This, believe me, was a HUGE deal. Took me forever.

6) I made a little Disboard green sign out of a placemat from the Dollar Tree to hang up at our site. Hopefully it's not too subtle.

7) I made progress on packing, washed the coffee pot, pulled out all the camping gear from the camping bin, bought 2 more canvas chairs, etc.

8) Bought our pre-trip Photopass CD. (Suzy did this, we go 50/50 making it a nice deal.)

9) Made our hotel reservations for the drive down there. We normally Priceline/Hotwire but we simply could not find a suitable place where we wanted it. So we gave up and bought a cheapo 2 star room off Travelocity. Don't worry, we'll check for bedbugs.

10) Synced & updated itunes and worked on loading more music onto my iphone so I can be entertained constantly. And updated all my podcasts. I still have a LOT more work on the music but I made a dent and it's something I can do in half hour increments when I need a break from the manual labor.

Tomorrow both Suzy and I work secularly, I have a meeting I must attend in the evening, and I have some shorts that didn't work out that I have to return to the mall.

In addition to lots of the same stuff as me, Suzy ALSO took Jack-Jack to the clinic. He has been having trouble breathing (he has chronic respiratory issues.) So she wanted to get him checked out before we left. Poor little thing just wasn't feeling well. It's so HARD to feel happy when you aren't getting enough oxygen.

Boo has also caught this little cold, but for her it is just a productive cough and some extra tears and crankiness. Fingers crossed this is the end of winter colds/flus for us and we go to WDW healthy.

We NEVER go to WDW healthy, nor do we stay healthy while there. But surely if we continue to go we will luck out sooner or later.

OK. More soon! Probably tomorrow at work, or if I really do buckle down and do my work, Wednesday night. I invited a friend over for dinner Wed. night who is a hairstylist. Am I a genius or what? Instead of 3 hours of my life at the mall with my kids and my frustration, she will cut our hair one by one in our bedroom or kitchen (hard wood floors) and the kids can play with her kids when it isn't their turn. I just owe her dinner and of course, money. But less than the mall!

Oh, and I almost forgot.

Donald said the MOST hilarious thing tonight. "So at the campgrounds there won't be Mousekeeping services will there? So we'll have to do everything and provide our own towels?"

Do I take good care of that man or what? What in heavens name does he think I do in the basement every night for 2 hours? I AM Mousekeeping and have been folding blankets and sheets and 10 towels and rolling up a rug and blowing up beds and testing out strands of twinkle lights and CREATING our hotel room in the basement to make sure we have everything and it all works.

I really do wonder what he thinks I'm doing. Just being crazy probably.

When I stared at him blankly he said, "No need to answer, I'm just thinking outloud here." Then I did have to reply. "Don't worry. I've got everything taken care of." To which he said, "I saw you cleaned out the extra coffeepot. That was exciting."

And then he went to bed and I continued listening to my music. :lmao:

He really is a keeper and super duper hard worker. But I'm not sure what he thinks I do all day. I know he knows I'm working. But on what, I wonder?

Ooooooh, thanks for the reminder Perla. I need to put sync to iTunes on my list:thumbsup2. I would have remembered Thursday night but would be nice to get it over with.

My biggest accomplishment today (besides everything ;)) was getting Jack jack's and McQueen's seats installed in the back if the van. It's not where they usually are and a tight squeeze but I got them in!:woohoo: I'll have to post a picture tomorrow.

Donald's mousekeeping comment is classic. I wonder how he'll think the little Mickey soap and shampoo got into his shaving bag??:lmao:

Good question:thumbsup2 I'm impressed that you took the time to read that list so thoroughly:rotfl:. The post it's are to stick over the sensor on the automatic flush toilets.

That item just stuck out for me. Smart use though!

Second, I want to tell our readers, Suzy has another table in her kitchen. So her family will still be able to eat this week. :rotfl: Thank goodness because that room is FULL!

Eating at the table....what a novel idea! :rotfl2: JK!

Suzy lost 12 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I lost 5.5 pounds and am thrilled.

Way to go!!! :yay::banana::cool1: :banana::cool1::yay:

It's so HARD to feel happy when you aren't getting enough oxygen.

Boo has also caught this little cold.

Hope they both get to feeling better soon! Being sick is no fun.

"So at the campgrounds there won't be Mousekeeping services will there? So we'll have to do everything and provide our own towels?" What in heavens name does he think I do in the basement every night for 2 hours? I AM Mousekeeping and have been folding blankets and sheets and 10 towels and rolling up a rug and blowing up beds and testing out strands of twinkle lights and CREATING our hotel room in the basement to make sure we have everything and it all works.

:wizard: I think they think all of it happens by magic.

BTW, my kids are 8 and 6. Although DS will turn 9 while we are in Florida. And thanks for answering all of my questions!

Donald's mousekeeping comment is classic. I wonder how he'll think the little Mickey soap and shampoo got into his shaving bag??:lmao:

Oooo, I'm gonna pull out the Mickey soap today. That'll stump him for sure.

Hope they both get to feeling better soon! Being sick is no fun.

:wizard: I think they think all of it happens by magic.

BTW, my kids are 8 and 6. Although DS will turn 9 while we are in Florida. And thanks for answering all of my questions!

Thanks on the babies. I really think it'll be minimal. As long as we don't catch the next one, we'll be good.

And yes, my family does think it's magical. Long ago I told my girls that Tink left them presents at WDW. Later, when I confessed that it was me all along Mulan cried and cried. I asked her why it isn't better that your mother who loves you deeply spent hours thinking about you and what you would want and wrapped them and packed them and put them by your bed every morning than just some magical little fairy who doesn't love you. She said the magic was way better than the loving mother. :wizard: Spoiled little family. :hug: Oh well, I love creating magic so I guess we're a perfect match: the well organized and the clueless. :rotfl:

Your kids are the PERFECT ages. You are gonna have a ridiculously good time. Water Parks and More, if you have the money, really would be a good value for you in June. Best water parks I've ever been to, I especially love Typhoon Lagoon and my girls LOVE Blizzard Beach. But they are both fabulous.

Hi there :wave2:

I finally had the time to get all caught up on this thread - and just in time too, departure day will be here before you know it!

First of all congrats on the weight loss, that is super :dance3:

Loved all the craft items...t-shirts, hair bows, cakes, cupcakes, it all looks great!

With those lists I can't imagine you've forgotten anything (btw the post-it note for the auto-flush toilets is an awesome idea) but hopefully if something gets missed it is something that can easily be purchased for a small amount. For instance, we are on vacation at the beach this week and I forgot to pack the sun hats, luckily there are lots in the stores here and not very expensive :rolleyes1

Mommy2BnB - I hope you don't mind, I'll throw my 2 cents in... if you follow Suzy and Perla's advice you'll do great, just be sure to warn the family about getting up early and make sure everyone gets to bed at a good time. On our first trip my kids and DH rebelled at getting up early even though I thought they were getting to bed at a decent time. We ended up abandoning the "make it for rope drop" approach, and we were OK but it was the first week of May so much less crowded than it will be in June. Oh, and the advice about not trying to do it all is the best advice out there :)

Hi there :wave2:

I finally had the time to get all caught up on this thread - and just in time too, departure day will be here before you know it!

First of all congrats on the weight loss, that is super :dance3:

Loved all the craft items...t-shirts, hair bows, cakes, cupcakes, it all looks great!

With those lists I can't imagine you've forgotten anything (btw the post-it note for the auto-flush toilets is an awesome idea) but hopefully if something gets missed it is something that can easily be purchased for a small amount. For instance, we are on vacation at the beach this week and I forgot to pack the sun hats, luckily there are lots in the stores here and not very expensive :rolleyes1

Mommy2BnB - I hope you don't mind, I'll throw my 2 cents in... if you follow Suzy and Perla's advice you'll do great, just be sure to warn the family about getting up early and make sure everyone gets to bed at a good time. On our first trip my kids and DH rebelled at getting up early even though I thought they were getting to bed at a decent time. We ended up abandoning the "make it for rope drop" approach, and we were OK but it was the first week of May so much less crowded than it will be in June. Oh, and the advice about not trying to do it all is the best advice out there :)

Thanks for reading! And for the compliments on our craftiness. Sometimes I think I waste a lot of my craftiness on Disney, but Disney craftiness is just so much more fun than other kinds!

And yes, knowing there are stores in Kissimmee is VERY comforting. I try really hard to not have to go while on vacation because here at home I LIVE at the store. But as we pull out of our driveway and I feel sick thinking that surely we've left something, chanting "They have Walmart in Florida" always comforts me. :rotfl:

As for your advice, it is too true. If your family will NOT get up early, than trying to make them will be more miserable than standing in lines. But I do still believe that bartering and saying, "Do it my way a day, and then I'll follow you a day," works miracles on sleepy heads.

But there are those who think vacation is about sleeping in till 2 p.m. For them, late night EMH can be a life saver. As long as you stay till the bitter end (2-3 am.) I personally have never done this. I have done a party and stayed up very late and it was a BLAST and as the night got later and later the lines became completely nonexistent. And Donald has done it more than once and loves it. But since I am a morning person anyway, rope drop works better with my clock. And at these ages my girls work better early in the morning. Mulan, especially, just is desperate for a bed by 10 p.m.

But really, in June, you'll need one of two approaches: early, early morning or late, late night. 11 am-8 pm will leave you and your family HATING Disney World and thinking we are all nuts.

Right now (10 am on Wed.) TSM has a wait time of 85 minutes. Soarin' is at 70. And hour ago they were: TSM 20 minutes. Soarin' 5. By 2 pm they will be 120 & 90, respectively. And the crowds at restaurants, on the sidewalks, and at characters reflect that.

So as you can see, 10 am is already too late to arrive at a park. And don't forget, buses take time. So if you DO intend on making rope drop, you'll need to leave a good hour before park opening for waiting for a bus, riding a bus, walking to the front, bag check, ticket line, bathroom stop.

This means for an 8 am MK opening you need to be dressed, breakfasted, packed up and at the bus stop at 7 am.

The reason it's such a great strategy is it sounds so horrific to so many people. :thumbsup2 And it'll sound awful to your family too. That's why you have to barter.

OK, I'm off to pack more! Get haircuts, doctor's appointment, etc.

Whew! Today was tough. I THINK I accomplished a lot but you can't see what I did at all. I'm like 95% sure I have everything on my list in this house. Tomorrow morning I have another doctor appointment and then all afternoon I'm going to pack. When the kids come home from school we are packing the van actually up!

Can you believe that? The day has come to pack up the van!

Then Friday I'll spend a few hours cleaning and a few hours taking care of secular work. And then we pick the kids up at 1:30.

Off and on all day today I've been calm/freaked out. Calm/freaked out. Calm/freaked out. That's been pattern. And I'm quite sure tomorrow will be the same way. Then Friday will be impatiently running around like crazy. Usually I'm prepared enough that day of everything is done and I'm just putzing and waiting. Hopefully that will be the case but I do still have a LOT to do so I may be working right up till the end.

Currently I'm watching Survivor. Usually this is a nice family thing we all deeply enjoy. But I'm really wishing I was running around like crazy. How sad is that?

Tribal counsel. 15 minutes till I can hop up and finish the laundry. :laundy:

Final packing pics and details tomorrow!

Are you ready to be stressed out???

Last night I took some pictures of my basement chaos. Today I have slowly put it all together one step at a time and before bed tonight I will take pictures of the repaired rooms and filled van! But I'll leave you for the next few hours with what I woke up to. :eek:

Unfolded laundry:
IMG_1095.jpg

The pile I've been adding to for weeks:
IMG_1094.jpg

Staging area:
IMG_1092.jpg

Ready to be carried to the van:
IMG_1093.jpg

I did do one little creative project, but not sure I'll use them. We'll see:
IMG_1091.jpg

Now you'll just have to wait and see how this all turns out in our van and our campsite!

I'm exhausted!

:cheer2: Hooray! It's almost time to leave! :cool1: I'm going to go ahead and say have a fun and safe trip!!!! now because I'll be in class tomorrow night and won't get the chance again. I'm working on my masters and taking weekend classes. (yuck) But I'll be done in May!

Can I tell you my exciting news? I booked our trip last night!!!! :yay::banana::yay: I am so excited, I could hardly get to sleep last night just thinking about it. We will be in the World June 5-9th.

Your basement looks like my bedroom and closet! :eek: Laundry piled high. ugh. My spring break plans include reorganizing and cleaning out that mess. I like your green signs that you made, very nice. :thumbsup2

In talking about the wait times, I have been looking at Touring Plans tonight and the expected wait times for the 2nd week of June at MK are not bad at all (IMO). The longest waits were like 45 minutes for Splash Mtn in the middle of the day. I think that is bearable, and with FP it shouldn't be that at all, right? DH got a free wait time app and has been playing with it. He was telling me about the ridiculously long waits for TSM and the RNRC (I think that is right) at HS. And I explained the reasoning for getting to the parks so early...... I think he is getting it. :woohoo: I'll keep working on all of them. My kids are early birds anyway so they won't be the problem. It is just their parents who like to sleep late!

Okay ???? time: Do you drive yourself to the parks or always take the buses? I would think the extra gas you would use would make up for the time spent waiting on a bus/hoping for a seat. Am I right or wrong?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter