SURPRISE! Obstructed Verandahs on the Disney Dream…

Well, technically, they were added while still at Meyer Werft I think, since they were in place before the EMS conveyance, but after initial float out from the building.

Yeah, yeah, whatever. ;)

My point was that structural elements are usually among the first things assembled in any design--not after 95% of it is complete. I knew someone would get me on my wording! :goodvibes

Thanks, by the way, for all the effort you put in superimposing stateroom numbers over the various photos from floatout. You confirmed my estimate for mine, and I know helped many others find theirs.

If I had to assign a percentage to the obstruction I would say it covers approximately 20% to 25% of the view and also depends on the angle you are viewing. The obstruction was only on the left hand side (and only on the right in the adjacent cabin). I didn’t have any thing to measure with to get a specific number. It’s quite annoying and, unless DCL removes them, the cabins need to be reclassified.

The overhang of deck 11 does obstruct the upward view, making it impossible for any deck to view fireworks. Personally I think the skirted design really puts the ship at a disadvantage in terms of balcony viewing.

Overall the motion on the ship is not bad. I noticed some vibration in the aft areas of the ship but it wasn’t bothersome. The only ship services that are open before general boarding begins is Cove Café.

The server in Palo was attempting to curb “over ordering”. AP just didn’t appeal to us, it reminded me of a chuck-e-cheese or fast food location with ugly chairs and a really cheap feel.

Different strokes for different folks....I really liked AP and enjoyed eating there (was not crazy about the show...very noisy)..loved the chairs and the look of the place...thought it was very clever. EG was my least favorite dining room (not that I didn't like it just that if I had to rank them I would rank RP, AP and then EG) all just personal preference.

We did Palo brunch on the MV and our server didn't limit us to anything...she encouraged us to order whatever we wanted and to try different things.

MJ

Looks like we have that obstruction for our 2/20 b2b. We have 7162 on the port side, on the starboard side it looks like it would be 7660. The panels seem to correspond with the indentation features on decks 11 and 12 and run vertically down to deck 5.

We are on the 2/20 cruise too. We have 8644 and 8646, hopefully with the divider open between the two verandahs we won't notice the obstruciton. :)

As a former lifeguard a smaller pool that is overcrowded is very dangerous. Do not assume the guards can deal with this. Watch your kids

Disney doesn't have life guards on duty on any of their ships. They do have rec staff that monitor the pools for things like swim diapers and inappropriate behaviour - but not always. So yes, watch your kids (which you should be doing anyway!)

We're looking forward to our B2B this October on the Dream, and would be interested in a description of the process. Is it along the lines of: note in stateroom the night before, meet somewhere, disembark #1 together (group), process in for #2 and back on by 10am? Would it then be possible to go do laundry?

Were there many doing B2B on your cruise? It feels like there are many doing B2B this year, probably to get more time on the new ship.

THANK YOU so much for this information. I called DCL and 9102 is confirmed as one of the obstructed rooms. They were able to switch me to 9132 which is not. The phone reps have access to a lot more inventory than you can see online so it's worth a call if you can't see anything online.

FWIW, my rep told me that her supervisor had sailed in one of the obstructed rooms on the Classic ships and it was fine. I was glad to have the information that the panels are larger on the Dream. Thanks again - I'd have been peeved to find out I paid a premium for an obstructed view. :worship:

Thank you for the stateroom information - that actually confirmed what I've always thought vs. what I kept seeing with my actual eye. It made no sense until now:teacher:

Looking at the image of the outside of the Dream (on the Disney cruiseline website) the picture of the ship shows the dividers.

-> I made sure I didn't pick a room right next to a change in categories (ie: where the colors change), but 1 down from the color change - if that makes sense.

Thank you for helping confirm I'm not too crazy!

We're looking forward to our B2B this October on the Dream, and would be interested in a description of the process. Is it along the lines of: note in stateroom the night before, meet somewhere, disembark #1 together (group), process in for #2 and back on by 10am? Would it then be possible to go do laundry?

Were there many doing B2B on your cruise? It feels like there are many doing B2B this year, probably to get more time on the new ship.

There was a thread about B2B on the Dream and the whole process...I will see if I can find it. Seems the Dream has a very big B2B attraction. There was approx. 300 B2Bers onboard the MV and Jan 30th cruise. Our process was a bit different than what was described in the B2B threads for the Classic Ships.

Found it....here you go....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2650697&highlight=b2b+on+dream

MJ

Oh, and about AP - I am looking forward to having a good meal (i.e. NOT nasty pizza) someplace where we don't have to plan umpteen diversions to keep DS in his seat! They're already there. :yay: I also love Finding Nemo. But can definitely see where that would lose its appeal over time. ::yes::

Does anyone know where to find a picture similar to the first one in the thread (all the staterooms numbered from the outside), but of the other side of the ship?

Does anyone know where to find a picture similar to the first one in the thread (all the staterooms numbered from the outside), but of the other side of the ship?

You can pull up the deck plans on DCL's site, find your room, then go directly across the ship for the number on the other side. You can also call DCL with your concern and they will help you.

So I have 7660 booked is that an obstructed room? If so these are available 7558,7556,7554,7552. Which one (if any) are not obstructed? Sorry we have dial up and it will not load th full picture of the ship. Thanks for any help!!

We have 7652 which appears to be NOT obstructed. :banana: But the one next to ours appears to be the obstructed one. (7650)

We are on the 2/20 cruise too. We have 8644 and 8646, hopefully with the divider open between the two verandahs we won't notice the obstruciton. :)

We just changed our 8644 room, to 8642, on our Feb 2012 cruise, as there don't appear to be any full ceiling to floor dividers on the Dream without also having an obstruction of some sort...:sad2:

How can you tell if there is an obstruction? Does 8606 look obstructed??:confused:

Nope, looks like the obstruction is between 8608 and 8610. To quote Maxwell Smart, you missed it my THAT much.

The obstructions run vertically from between the lifeboats on Deck 5 up to between the sets of glass windows (for lack of a better term) up on Deck 11, or every six staterooms horizontally.

Is there a room layout picture anywhere for the front of the ship?
Specifically trying to locate 6046 if it has the obstruction

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter