• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSR room - a hot mess UPDATED WITH PICTURES

Is it customary to check out a room before accepting it? Has anyone done this, and turned it down? I had a somewhat similar unpleasant experience, ie a substandard, rundown room our last stay. We "grin and beared it" for a week, but decided from now on we would closely check out a room before accepting it.

What building were you in? I may have missed it in the various posts. We're heading to SSR on 1/9 - hate to see our investment is such disrepair!

What a disgrace.

The fact that DVC mgmt actually allows this type of scummy room to be allowed for guest stays is a total disgrace. Has anyone ever heard the term "inspection"? It doesn't appear that rooms are inspected .. just wait til someone complains and then action gets taken. No excuse for this, none at all when people are paying tens of thousands of dollars over time to stay there.

What a disgrace.

The fact that DVC mgmt actually allows this type of scummy room to be allowed for guest stays is a total disgrace. Has anyone ever heard the term "inspection"? It doesn't appear that rooms are inspected .. just wait til someone complains and then action gets taken. No excuse for this, none at all when people are paying tens of thousands of dollars over time to stay there.

The thing that floors me is that both the head of housekeeping AND maintanence were in our room during our stay and they clearly saw nothing wrong with the state of our room.

Heard back from Sharon, she is no longer at SSR. She moved to AKV. So she said that she forwarded my email to the head of SSR and I "most likely" will be hearing from someone.

WELL I HOPE SO!

Connorlevismom-I would ask Sharon for the name and contact information of the new person in her position at SSR. I have also sent you a Private Message with another contact.

The thing that floors me is that both the head of housekeeping AND maintanence were in our room during our stay and they clearly saw nothing wrong with the state of our room.

That's the worst part of this whole thread. THEY SAW NOTHING WRONG?????:mad:

I know. I mean when we first notice the toilet, it literally was not connected to the floor. We could swivel it around on the floor. How can someone miss that?

I have not heard anything yet from anyone.......other than Sharon who said she passed my information on. I think that I should email several people.

Oh and that $300 credit has not been applied to be CC yet either.

That's the worst part of this whole thread. THEY SAW NOTHING WRONG?????:mad:

I hate to tell you all, but this is exactly what we experienced on our November trip at BWV--forgive me, OP, don't mean to hijack this thread--just want to point out that housekeeping standards need to be improved. Our one bedroom was just a mess as well. Problems were: none of the tables and countertops had been wiped down, some dirty dishes and inside of dishwasher was dirty and had not been run, splatter on refrigerator and cabinets, filthy kitchen floor--splatter spots and a million crumbs. However, the bathrooms seemed clean. I just cleaned up all the other stuff. The breaking point however was when my kids found breakfast cereal under the table and, get this,:confused3 a half eaten waffle in the corner of the adjoining studio door!! Then, we lifted up the toilet rim and sorry for TMI, but there was fecal matter all around it. At that point my husband politely went down and told them that we didn't want to change rooms but he told them about the food on the floor and the toilet. They were very apologetic and said that someone would clean the floors and toilet the next morning. Okay, here's the worst part. They did come and you could tell that the carpet had been vacuumed and the lid to the toilet was up and you could see the cleaning solution, BUT the breakfast cereal was still under the table, the waffle was still in the corner, and, yes, the fecal matter was still there! I cleaned it all up myself.:headache:
We came to the conclusion that whoever our housekeeper was our room did seem clean to him/her, and they probably did not get what the fuss was all about. I guess what I'm trying to say after all of this is that I don't think the training and expectations are very high right now in the mousekeeping area. They should be hiring clean fanatics who understand attention to details. Sorry for the long rant. Just my two cents...for what it is worth. :)

we just got back from a stay at SSR where we have stayed many times... the rooms are definitely beginning to show some wear and tear. Our bathroom was probably the worst... toilet wasn't or was barely attached to the floor (or had broke) and the tile was pretty dirty looking in places especially corners. The couch bed which I slept on this time was half broken... it wouldn't fold up entirely to make a flat couch (was like this when we first got there too) .

SSR is my home resort and I love it. We will actually be staying at OKW in May for the first time to see what that's like... but hopefully some SSR refurb rooms will do the trick

So I just got a call from The head of SSR's assistant and she was somewhat rude to me about it. She just told me that she read my email and asked if I had anything else I wanted to talk about. I asked her if she looked at the pictures and she told me she had not because they cannot access photo bucket from there. So I told her I would send them to her email and she said OK. I said I was just really concerned at the state of the room and she told me she already read the email so I did not have to go over what was in it again, that she was wondering if I had anything else to bring up.

I then asked her about the compensation and she told me they are willing to refund 111 of my 247 points. That is not even 1/2 of the the points used for the stay!!!

I told her I would forward her the pictures and call her back.

as an SSR owner I agree with a lot of things said here... while I love SSR (and DVC) many of the rooms (and different resorts) I have stayed in where not up to what I would consider Disney or DVC standards. I don't know if this has to do with housekeeping or just regular maintenance...but Disney needs to be careful about saving a buck v/s losing their magic

my wife and I stayed at Beach Club Villas (first time at DVC resort) on our honeymoon years ago and it was like the haunted mansion. lots of problems, bugs, damage, etc. they were at least kind enough to give us 2 free nights on our next trip but I was definitelty shocked (and have been at other times) that the upkeep on some of these rooms are not up to par

as an SSR owner I agree with a lot of things said here... while I love SSR (and DVC) many of the rooms (and different resorts) I have stayed in where not up to what I would consider Disney or DVC standards. I don't know if this has to do with housekeeping or just regular maintenance...but Disney needs to be careful about saving a buck v/s losing their magic

my wife and I stayed at Beach Club Villas (first time at DVC resort) on our honeymoon years ago and it was like the haunted mansion. lots of problems, bugs, damage, etc. they were at least kind enough to give us 2 free nights on our next trip but I was definitelty shocked (and have been at other times) that the upkeep on some of these rooms are not up to par

Agreed! If I were to talk to Claire personally, maintenance and housekeeping would be at the top of my list.

So I just got a call from The head of SSR's assistant and she was somewhat rude to me about it. She just told me that she read my email and asked if I had anything else I wanted to talk about. I asked her if she looked at the pictures and she told me she had not because they cannot access photo bucket from there. So I told her I would send them to her email and she said OK. I said I was just really concerned at the state of the room and she told me she already read the email so I did not have to go over what was in it again, that she was wondering if I had anything else to bring up.

I then asked her about the compensation and she told me they are willing to refund 111 of my 247 points. That is not even 1/2 of the the points used for the stay!!!

I'm sure a call is standard on these type of complaints. There is a lot they can get out of a call that you can't get through email: tone of voice and concerns the other party didn't feel comfortable putting into an email (such as CM behavior). That's probably what she was fishing for.

I'm not sure what they use for a point-refund formula, but that seems reasonable to me. Sounds as though they're considering your room to be of a lower category than what you had given the issues. If it was a severe problem where you could not have stayed there they probably figure you would have abandoned the room and sought out full reimbursement right off. Again, I don't know how they make that determination so this is just my assumption, not saying it's right or wrong - in fact I don't know what is.

Regarding the $ being credited back to your CC, you'll need to hold your breath for up to 3 weeks on that. Disney is notoriously slow on that end, which is one of the reason why I love DVC over cash reservations when it comes to switching accommodations around.

I told her I would forward her the pictures and call her back.
If you receive $300 and 111 points back for compensation, that seems a little reasonable. I did receive all of my points back and $400 compensation for a stay which had room issues. Maybe I got all my points back because they moved me to a different room and it was in poor condition too! :scared1: After that, they had no excuse.

I was pretty irritated by this girls attitude towards me when she called. She was defensive before I ever said a word. I don't feel that less than 1/2 my points back is a good offer. If they offered me 1/2, then maybe. But less than 1/2 for a crappy room that smelled like poop for a whole week?

And we asked to be moved, twice. And they would not move us.

I was pretty irritated by this girls attitude towards me when she called. She was defensive before I ever said a word. I don't feel that less than 1/2 my points back is a good offer. If they offered me 1/2, then maybe. But less than 1/2 for a crappy room that smelled like poop for a whole week?

And we asked to be moved, twice. And they would not move us.

If you asked to be moved to a different room twice and your room had a foul odor during the entire vacation, I would say you should receive all of your points back since your entire trip was affected. Be sure to mention this when speaking with the gentleman at DVC Executive Offices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter