SSR room - a hot mess UPDATED WITH PICTURES

Disney should be ashamed. I have filled out a few post trip surveys this year and I have commented that Disney really needs to wake up regarding room cleanliness and upkeep. People have limited vacation funds, limited vacation time and once a family is exposed to these kinds of vacation accomodations they will never again risk having another dirty, uncomfortable vacation experience - Disney or not. There is just too much competition for vacation dollars anymore and if Disney does not stop the penny-wise, pound foolish practices regarding the room conditions, especially at the DVC resorts, they will find themselves with a bad cleanliness reputation. I would think that in the hotel world that would be the worst reputation to have.

We were at OKW from 12/3 until 12/11. We only had a few bulbs out and a roller on the bottom rack of the dishwasher missing. But what struck me as I thought about it on the trip home was the DVC station on the TV enticing people to buy into DVC by advertising "First Class Accommodations." These are NOT first class accommodations. Sorry. The Hilton Garden Inn in McDonough where we stayed on our drive down was in better shape than your room. Totally unacceptable! Good luck.

The pics depicted far more than I expected to see (and I was imagining some bad stuff). I agree with you: It's really bad. Last time I saw anything like that was when I went into the camper my parents had sitting in the back yard for over 15 years: the squirrels had set up camp in it and the ceiling had water damage.

That room needs to be taken out of rotation for a refurb ASAP. The next guests may just put up with the conditions so they can get on with their Disney vacation.

How is it possible that problems like that can go unnoticed/unreported/unfixed? I am sure the housekeepers are required to report all problems they encounter as they clean the rooms. Either the housekeepers aren't doing their full jobs or maintenance isn't following up on the reports. If housekeeping is the problem, then I wonder how much guest inflicted damage also goes unreported when it needs to be identified and repair billed back to the proper party asap.

OMG. I've actually stayed in Motel 6s cleaner than that. Gross. Please email those to DVC member satisfaction. They really have to know all of the problems members have been having with the rooms. This is just unacceptable.

I agreee with lilpooh - Motel 6 is cleaner than this! That's a sad statement since Disney is supposed to be a prime vacation spot. I couldn't believe the pics - how gross to have to deal with on your vacation. Definitely follow up with Disney . . .

That is absolutely, completely, unacceptable... Might as well be a (bad) Motel 6. Please forward these pics and your story to DVC customer service. I've never seen this in DVC and nobody ever should. Are all those hairs I'm seeing your family hairs?

No - not all the hair is ours. Some of it, yes.

We were at OKW from 12/3 until 12/11. We only had a few bulbs out and a roller on the bottom rack of the dishwasher missing. But what struck me as I thought about it on the trip home was the DVC station on the TV enticing people to buy into DVC by advertising "First Class Accommodations." These are NOT first class accommodations. Sorry. The Hilton Garden Inn in McDonough where we stayed on our drive down was in better shape than your room. Totally unacceptable! Good luck.

I agree. We own 425 points currently and talked on the way down about adding on about another 100 points. That talk turned into "maybe we don't want to do that" after all the stuff with our room. Maybe they don't care? That is the attitude that I felt with everyone except the housekeeping manager. He at least apologized. Did not fix anything, but he did apologize. Everyone else just brushed us off. I asked for a new room twice, and they would not switch us.

I am not saying our vacation was ruined by this, we had a great time. But it was disgusting to be in the room with the smell and the fact that it looked like it was falling apart. This was definitely NOT 1st class accomodations!

I am just glad that I did not send someone in my family down for a trip on our points. We do that every once in a while and I would be mortified if a guest of mine had to deal with that on their vacation.

I would not only write to Member Services, but would cc the new head of DVC, Claire Bilby. I would include these pictures and let them know that you have posted them here. I think if more members did this when they run into this type of extreme maintenance issues, then they would be much harder to ignore.

I would not only write to Member Services, but would cc the new head of DVC, Claire Bilby. I would include these pictures and let them know that you have posted them here. I think if more members did this when they run into this type of extreme maintenance issues, then they would be much harder to ignore.

What is her email address?

This room definitely need some work.

DVC room are occupied almost 100% of the time. If they take rooms down for maintenance, Guests get upset because they can't book when they want to.

Almost all of the damages are caused by Guests. Tile doesn't break by itself. Yes the rooms should be cleaned and ready to go for the next Guest but mistakes happen.

We just finished a 18 day WDW stay at 4 resorts, VWL, BWV, SSR, and VB. I have to say that the rooms were in great shape which is not usual for us, we always find some problems. Bilby said that she is working on improving the maintenance and cleaning issues and our dues have gone up because of it.

Give me a clean, working room and CM's with a good attitude and I'm a happy Mouse lover.

:earsboy: Bill

connorlevismom- I know the manager of Guest Service Operations at SSR. I sent you her name, phone number, and email address in a Private Message. Call her NOW while you are still at SSR and she will address your room issues immediately. This lady is very attentive to guest needs and will resolve your issues with no delay. Please follow up with me and let me know that you received my Private Message. I've had room issues on more than one occasion at SSR and she addressed my problems instantly and professionally.

connorlevismom- I know the manager of Guest Service Operations at SSR. I sent you her name, phone number, and email address in a Private Message. Call her NOW while you are still at SSR and she will address your room issues immediately. This lady is very attentive to guest needs and will resolve your issues with no delay. Please follow up with me and let me know that you received my Private Message. I've had room issues on more than one occasion at SSR and she addressed my problems instantly and professionally.

I sent the email tonight. Should I also send it to member satisfaction, or what to hear from her?

I believe member satisfaction wants to know of any issue, so I would send it there, too.

This room definitely need some work.

Almost all of the damages are caused by Guests. Tile doesn't break by itself. Yes the rooms should be cleaned and ready to go for the next Guest but mistakes happen.

I agree, however not all of the damage is done by MEMBERS. SSR is one of the larger resorts and is used extensively by non-members who receive the rooms as an "upgrade".

As a result, my Bride & I have observed guests trashing the public areas, dropping cigarettes and food off their balconies onto the grass below. One night all of the towels from the towel bin were in the hot tub, and when I asked the pool attendant about the trash around the pool, he told me they were going to have to hire more help to keep the area clean... Well that staff payroll also comes out of our dues.

So hopefully if our dues are going up, there is some form of assessment on the overnight rate for the non-members to cover repairs and upgrades and additional personnel.

Sorry but I would not have stayed in that room. They would have had to move me somewhere else at there cost. That room should not even be in inventory till everything is repaired.:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter