SSR Lovers and Owners Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Me and DW have two contracts for SSR because we love it so much. We love the laid back atmosphere, being close to downtown disney, being able to park outside the room blocks...

We love SSR too for these same reasons. We own at BCV & SSR, but have only stayed at SSR, OKW (when we have lots of family together) and HHI. We always hit the Riverside food court at least once, since that is our favorite.
I don't consider myself a huge 'Disney' person, but yet we come here at least yearly and own annual passes. I think I most appreciate the consistency of service etc...

MickeyFanIncognito said:
DD wants to go to Universal today...kicking myself that we didn't plan ahead and buy discounted tickets. Where does that park get off charging so much, don't they know they aren't Disney, not even close. Oh, perhaps that is a discussion for a different forum. :cool2:

I got a bit off topic AND need to correct the above statement. Universal was fun! They seem to have made customer service a priority which, in the past had been a major detractor.

Still enjoying our SSR home stay. Sad that tomorrow is our last day.

We have been owners of SSR for about 7 years now and love it but haven't been there in about 2 years (we ran out of points to borrow from future years and have been doing cruises instead for the last 2 years). We're going next week to stay there for the first time in 2 years. Just wanted to know if there's anything new I should be aware of (at SSR- not WDW in general- assuming there's not, but figured I'd ask).

Also, my least favorite part of vacations is going into a room and getting "the look" from my wife if there's anything wrong with it (worn carpets, etc). Are any of the buildings recently renovated? Thanks for any info.

We have been owners of SSR for about 7 years now and love it but haven't been there in about 2 years (we ran out of points to borrow from future years and have been doing cruises instead for the last 2 years). We're going next week to stay there for the first time in 2 years. Just wanted to know if there's anything new I should be aware of (at SSR- not WDW in general- assuming there's not, but figured I'd ask).

Also, my least favorite part of vacations is going into a room and getting "the look" from my wife if there's anything wrong with it (worn carpets, etc). Are any of the buildings recently renovated? Thanks for any info.

One change that comes to mind is that the Turf Club no longer serves lunch.

I would also imagine that some of the models at the DVC Preview Center have changed since your last visit. I'm always excited to see what they will have next!

MagicRat said:

I believe rooms are currently being renovated although I don't know which have been completed presently. Perhaps someone else will know? So definitely look into that more.

There is also a new pool by the Paddocks area with a CS eatery. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

MagicRat said:

There is now wifi in all the rooms which is pretty cool! And the Granstand pool serves softserve icecream yum. Also the room doors have RFID card entry which is great.

One change that comes to mind is that the Turf Club no longer serves lunch.
We stayed at OKW pre-Thanksgiving week but golfed from SSR and I was showing my friend around afterwards and we were going to stop by the Turf Club for lunch and it was closed. I hadn't heard that they were making the change, we were bummed but made the best of it by heading over to Bahama Breeze!

I can't make up my mind on what to request -- SSR in 11 days! I can't decide between requesting Carousel (the only section we haven't stayed in yet) and one of the sections that's been refurbished (ooooooh, shiney).

Right now I'm leaning toward checking off all the blocks so I can say I've stayed in every section, but oooooooh, shiney!

I can't make up my mind on what to request -- SSR in 11 days! I can't decide between requesting Carousel (the only section we haven't stayed in yet) and one of the sections that's been refurbished (ooooooh, shiney).

Right now I'm leaning toward checking off all the blocks so I can say I've stayed in every section, but oooooooh, shiney!

I've complained a few times about the Carousel area, my stays were before the new Paddock pool, not that it would make that big of a difference even now! Hey we still had a great time, the villas were tip top and it was a fine vacation! There hasn't been a DVC resort built that I wouldn't be happy to get as long at it fit the dates I wanted!

You have a great attitude, good luck! (Hopefully you don't get road and parking lot view, kinda makes that balcony a moot point! ;))

Well I've never stayed at SSR before. I booked a spur of the moment trip 2/21-2/24 for a Yankee/Braves Spring Training Game at Wide World of Sports and the only resort available was SSR... so I figured might as well give it a shot!! I've read this thread and think I want to request Congress Park?? Any advice for me?? It's a solo trip just me and my camera.. so I thought the pics at night would be cool if I get a Downtown Disney view! Any advice is appreciated!

~Nannette

First thing, get there early and ask for a lake or Downtown Disney View. Get as high up as you can. Our opinion is that it is the best place to be. :)

We have never stayed at any of the other buildings in SSR, so, we may be a little biased on this.

Enjoy the nice walk to DTD. Walk everywhere. It's not that big. Only time we ride the bus internal to the resort is if we are walking by the bus stop and there just happens to be a bus there.

Eat at the Turf Club. Great food and great view.

If you take a bus from a park, get off at the Grand Stand, walk over (if it is open) to the bar at the pool there and get a refill in your Mug. Then walk up to Artist Palate and get another refill before walking back to Congress Park. Much better than shuffling around on the bus.

First thing, get there early and ask for a lake or Downtown Disney View. Get as high up as you can. Our opinion is that it is the best place to be. :)

We have never stayed at any of the other buildings in SSR, so, we may be a little biased on this.

Enjoy the nice walk to DTD. Walk everywhere. It's not that big. Only time we ride the bus internal to the resort is if we are walking by the bus stop and there just happens to be a bus there.

Eat at the Turf Club. Great food and great view.

If you take a bus from a park, get off at the Grand Stand, walk over (if it is open) to the bar at the pool there and get a refill in your Mug. Then walk up to Artist Palate and get another refill before walking back to Congress Park. Much better than shuffling around on the bus.

Great advice thank you!! Also I LOVE Savannah! I'm from Beaufort SC so not far.. I live in NYC now but lived my formative years in Beaufort! Again thank you for the advice!

~Nannette

I'm looking at which area in the resort to book and I think I've settled on Congress Park. I'm going to try and be specific and request block 2101 - 2436. From the maps it looks to be near the bus stop, easy walk to QS area and potentially a downtown disney view. I don't think there's a refill station nearby so I guess I'll have to walk elsewhere for that, does that sound right? I know this can only be a request but is being this specific a good or a bad thing?

I just had 8110 in the grandstand and it was a perfect location. First stop on the bus route, could walk to the main building and a short walk to the boat to downtown disney. Highly recommend

psutrain said:
I just had 8110 in the grandstand and it was a perfect location. First stop on the bus route, could walk to the main building and a short walk to the boat to downtown disney. Highly recommend

Hey! We were 8112 back in October! Totally agree it was the best location we have had so far. Ours was an accessible room so I loved the short distance to the bus stop plus the slope up to the AP is not as steep as from the Springs and other buildings that access from the pool side. Hope we get this location again!

A large tree house for sale in my area. It used to be the offices of a financial planner (I think). I like the outdoor elevator on the back of the deck. It makes me think of the THVs at SSR every time I use the rails-to-trails.
It looks large enough to be a Tree House Grand Villa.

TREEHOUSE.jpg

KLEONARD said:
A large tree house for sale in my area. It used to be the offices of a financial planner (I think). I like the outdoor elevator on the back of the deck. It makes me think of the THVs at SSR every time I use the rails-to-trails.

Wow! That does look like a Tree House Grand Villa. How much is it? You could buy it and replicate SSR at home lol.

]

That is an awesome picture and would make a great vacation home. Are you going to buy it?

That is an awesome picture and would make a great vacation home. Are you going to buy it?

Not sure what the owner is asking. It has been on the market for awhile.
I am thinking it is probably a zoning issue (non-residential/business only) or the asking price is still too high.
I think my wife and I will stay in our ranch and not worry about the elevator upkeep.

Not sure what the owner is asking. It has been on the market for awhile.
I am thinking it is probably a zoning issue (non-residential/business only) or the asking price is still too high.
I think my wife and I will stay in our ranch and not worry about the elevator upkeep.

Yeah, maintenance fees are terrible. :lmao:
I probably wouldn't go for the elevator upkeep either, but it is still a real cool house and thought to be living in a THV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter