Sports: Deflate-Gate

TB's FB post:

Tom Brady
2 hrs ·
I am very disappointed by the NFL’s decision to uphold the 4 game suspension against me. I did nothing wrong, and no one in the Patriots organization did either.

Despite submitting to hours of testimony over the past 6 months, it is disappointing that the Commissioner upheld my suspension based upon a standard that it was “probable” that I was “generally aware” of misconduct. The fact is that neither I, nor any equipment person, did anything of which we have been accused. He... dismissed my hours of testimony and it is disappointing that he found it unreliable.

I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.

Most importantly, I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong.

To try and reconcile the record and fully cooperate with the investigation after I was disciplined in May, we turned over detailed pages of cell phone records and all of the emails that Mr. Wells requested. We even contacted the phone company to see if there was any possible way we could retrieve any/all of the actual text messages from my old phone. In short, we exhausted every possibility to give the NFL everything we could and offered to go thru the identity for every text and phone call during the relevant time. Regardless, the NFL knows that Mr. Wells already had ALL relevant communications with Patriots personnel that either Mr. Wells saw or that I was questioned about in my appeal hearing. There is no “smoking gun” and this controversy is manufactured to distract from the fact they have zero evidence of wrongdoing.

I authorized the NFLPA to make a settlement offer to the NFL so that we could avoid going to court and put this inconsequential issue behind us as we move forward into this season. The discipline was upheld without any counter offer. I respect the Commissioners authority, but he also has to respect the CBA and my rights as a private citizen. I will not allow my unfair discipline to become a precedent for other NFL players without a fight.

Lastly, I am overwhelmed and humbled by the support of family, friends and our fans who have supported me since the false accusations were made after the AFC Championship game. I look forward to the opportunity to resume playing with my teammates and winning more games for the New England Patriots.

Just a long winded denial. Face it, too many questionable actions over his career. Since he intends to sue his employer(NFL), perhaps he should be unable to participate in any NFL sanctioned activities until all legal proceedings have been completed. This is what would happen to the average person, but then Brady is above everyone else.

Most importantly, I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong.
Interesting that he doesn't add 'discussed verbally' (or is it orally?) to his denial.

It's obvious we all aren't going to see eye to eye on this or many other topics. No matter what I say or what you say, it will not influence the other's views. I'm ok with that. I too would have liked to see this ended months ago. Looks like both sides are digging in and not budging. No matter what the final outcome is, his supporters will stand by him and those that are against him will always call him a cheater. Nothing will change either of those sides.

Interesting that he doesn't add 'discussed verbally' (or is it orally?) to his denial.

Just one question -do you have an issue with Rodgers not complying with the same rule? Or do you not care about the rule and are more concerned with what appear to be lies? Because, personally I don't doubt that Brady asked to have the balls deflated ...he did the same thing many active QB's have done, and will continue to do.

Ok, but IF he didn't do what he is accused of, he should just "man up" and take the rap anyway because you don't like him?
No matter how much his fans deny it he has been found guilty of cheating by the people in charge of the rules. It does not matter how much I or anyone else likes him. And by the way, the NFL did not consult with me before coming to the conclusion that he cheated. That was done by independent investigators whose primary job is to enforce the rules and make sure cheaters are punished.

Only Patriot fans think the world is conspiring against them.

Just one question -do you have an issue with Rodgers not complying with the same rule? Or do you not care about the rule and are more concerned with what appear to be lies? Because, personally I don't doubt that Brady asked to have the balls deflated ...he did the same thing many active QB's have done, and will continue to do.
The big difference I see is that McNally took the balls to defalte them *AFTER THE REFS HAD INSPECTED THEM*. I don't think any other QB have suggested/admitted they have gone that far. I think that's what makes this different from holding or pass interference during a game (which might result in more competitive advantage, just on a single play). Messing with the refs and how they run the game, not how the game is played by the players, is the big difference and why the league calls it an integrity of the game issue.
Ok, but IF he didn't do what he is accused of, he should just "man up" and take the rap anyway because you don't like him?
At this point it might be better for the team. So yes, fall on your sword and do what needs to be done. But I can see how the players union won't like that, as the number one star in the league sets a precedent.

For folks who support /love TB: how do you reconcile TB the amazing machine of a man with the seemingly picture perfect life, a (formerly) squeaky clean polished image as a kind and charitable guy, and an amazingly efficient and effective quarterback who runs his team with exceptional precision, with the guy that is bungling this situation horribly and looks like a criminal who’s trying to hide the evidence of his crimes.

Last edited:
For folks who support /love TB: how do you reconcile TB the amazing machine of a man with the seemingly picture perfect life, a (formerly) squeaky clean polished image as a kind and charitable guy, and an amazingly efficient and effective quarterback who runs his team with exceptional precision, with the guy that is bungling this situation horribly and looks like criminal who’s trying to hide the evidence of his crimes.

His crimes?
His fans defend him so much because people go so overboard in their criticism of him.

His crimes?
His fans defend him so much because people go so overboard in their criticism of him.
I said 'looks like'.

Destroying a cell phone when you're about to meet with someone investigating you *looks like* something a criminal would do.

I'm not suggesting anything he's done has been criminal.

No matter how much his fans deny it he has been found guilty of cheating by the people in charge of the rules.
Not to quibble, but actually not true. He's been fund guilty of "more likely than not" "having some knowledge" that someone else "may have" done something.There is 0 proof and 0 wording, to my knowledge, that says TB either performed the task himself or asked, directed, instructed that balls be deflated after inspection to a PSI below the legal limit.
For folks who support /love TB: how do you reconcile TB the amazing machine of a man with the seemingly picture perfect life, a (formerly) squeaky clean polished image as a kind and charitable guy, and an amazingly efficient and effective quarterback who runs his team with exceptional precision, with the guy that is bungling this situation horribly and looks like criminal who’s trying to hide the evidence of his crimes.
Well, if anyone knew me IRL, you'd know I actually do not like TB! But to answer your question, I think he's kinda behaving how I would if I was accused of a nefarious activity. First time you hear of it, you sort of make a joke because it's ridiculous to you. Then, when it appears that people were serious and not kidding with an allegation, you'd panic and be like "Wait, what??" and look pretty silly doing it. But that's me.

Look, I've said it before. Do I think the balls get "made" (rubbing, mashing, PSI) how he likes them prior to inspection? Yes. Just like every other QB. Is he emphatic about it? I'm sure he is. Does he give the ball guys "stuff" because they work at getting them how he likes them? By all accounts he's generous so probably. Sticky part. Did he instruct the ball guys to do anything with the balls AFTER they've been inspected? Seriously, I doubt it. Is it possible? Sure, anything is possible. But he's not a complete dumb-*** and I can't see him doing all this if he did. More likely than not, if they were doctored after the inspection I'm guessing it was ball guy initiative although you'd think they'd have done a better job of it. The part that's really irritating is the Bell and Hardy suspensions, especially since Bell's was the same day!!! This falls on Goodell for being a dictator and inconsistent.

I said 'looks like'.

Destroying a cell phone when you're about to meet with someone investigating you *looks like* something a criminal would do.

I'm not suggesting anything he's done has been criminal.

He says the phone was broken.
It's not like the records of his calls and texts were lost forever with the phone.
I can go to my cell provider's website and get a list of all the numbers I called and texted in previous months

Last edited:
It's not like the records of his calls and texts were lost forever with the phone.
I can go to my cell provider's website and get a list of all the numbers I called and texted in previous months
Which he says he gave them. Transcripts etc...and no one from Wells or Goodell has denied this, so IMO, if they aren't denying that statement then it's true and saying he destroyed the phone is more smoke screen in the same vein as leaking 11 of 12 balls were under by 2 PSI (also untrue and just a smoke screen).

Which he says he gave them. Transcripts etc...and no one from Wells or Goodell has denied this, so IMO, if they aren't denying that statement then it's true and saying he destroyed the phone is more smoke screen in the same vein as leaking 11 of 12 balls were under by 2 PSI (also untrue and just a smoke screen).

Actually I just read an article about the records of called.
It says Brady's team offered the electronic records but the investigation didn't want them because they felt tracking down who the numbers belong to was too much effort.
Apparently it's a footnote to the talk of the destroyed phone in the decision released yesterday

Actually I just read an article about the records of called.
It says Brady's team offered the electronic records but the investigation didn't want them because they felt tracking down who the numbers belong to was too much effort.
Apparently it's a footnote to the talk of the destroyed phone in the decision released yesterday
Well geez, 6 months and you can't be bothered to actually look at the evidence because you might have to actually do research instead of going with your pre-determined supposition???

Perhaps people would have less hatred towards Brady and the Patriots if they didn't have a history of testing/exploiting rules to see how far they could be bent before being broken. Hard to believe that the head coach or anyone associated with the Patriot organization, had no idea there were rules specific to game balls. The actions of Brady setting terms and having his attorneys tell the NFL what he would do/not do, are laughable. Now he is whining like a toddler, maybe he can take a nap during his 4 game suspension.

Reactions: Kae
Well geez, 6 months and you can't be bothered to actually look at the evidence because you might have to actually do research instead of going with your pre-determined supposition???

Right, but make sure you focus on him not turning over the actual, physical phone.
I know people just hate him and will jump on anything to make him the bad guy but he's have been very stupid to hand over his phone to be analyzed.
He's a high profile guy with an even higher profile wife. There were leaks (with bad information) on this whole thing from the beginning. There could be any number of private things on that phone and there's no way to be assured it would remain out of the media.

I love the technicalities that yall can come up with. It's keeping this thread interesting.
actually look at the evidence
Can you explain why McNally took the balls into the bathroom after the refs had checked them? Do you believe McNally, a game day only employee, doctored the #1 QB in the league balls' in the league championship game to his (McNally's that is) own personal specifications? And can you explain why McNally called himself 'The Defaltor' and joked that he'd be going to ESPN with something scandalous? And why McNally received very valuable gifts from TB? And why McNally wasn't brought to the appeal to declare TB did nothing wrong and it was all his idea? And why hasn't McNally sued for wrongful termination from the Pats?

Last edited:
I love the technicalities that yall can come up with. It's keeping this thread interesting.Can you explain why McNally took the balls into the bathroom after the refs had checked them? Do you believe McNally, a game day only employee, doctored the #1 QB in the league balls' in the league championship game to his (McNally's that is) own personal specifications? And can you explain why McNally called himself 'The Defaltor' and joked that he'd be going to ESPN with something scandalous? And why McNally received very valuable gifts from TB? And why McNally wasn't brought to the appeal to declare he did nothing wrong and it was all his idea? And why hasn't McNally sued for wrongful termination from the Pats?

I thought this was about TB's direct involvement? Of which has yet to be proven. Yes, Brady preferred the game balls to have a certain feel to them (which is why he also feels them prior to being submitted for official review). McNally couldn't be on his own (without a direct order) to make sure the balls feel a certain way, knowing that if he continues to provide equipment that is rejected then he could be out of a job anyway? Brady can't give gifts (perhaps knowing the minimal pay they receive) as a "thanks" for doing your job? Does that mean when I give an extra tip to the bartender because (s)he knows I like my drinks strong, then I'm guilty of giving a direct order to make my drinks stronger and therefore I should be banished from the restaurant because I clearly broke the rules? Even though we all like our drinks stronger and many of us get them that way, either by asking or not, but only because I gave a little something more? And what if the bartender gives themselves a nickname, like "over pourer"?

I thought this was about TB's direct involvement?
So you believe there's another reasonable explanation of what McNally did? Please elaborate upon a reasonable scenario where McNally was not following an order form TB. And I'll stop one line of thinking before it starts: Aliens probably did not come down from Mars and doctor the balls. Possible, yes, but not reasonable.

Also, the original punishment document indicated that the penalty was made more harsh because TB didn't cooperate with the investigation. So you're mistaken to think it is just about TB's direct involvement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter