Spin-Off of "Won't Eat" - What CAN'T You Eat

I developed a fish and seafood allergy in my late 40's. Which is horrible for me because I adored both and ate them all the time for my whole life.

The other thing I can't eat is raw green bell pepper. Looks like I'm not the only one based on this thread! I can eat them cooked but if I eat them raw, I have terrible heartburn. And I never, ever get heartburn from anything else. I can eat raw orange, yellow, or red bell pepper. This used to annoy the heck out of my mother who always put raw green peppers in salad and used to yell at me for being picky when I didn't eat them. (I was in my late 30's at the time!) :rolleyes1 I didn't complain or anything, I just left them in the bottom of the bowl.

What's interesting is that green peppers are from the same plant as red, orange, yellow. The different colours depends on when they were harvested and how ripe they are. Green ones are picked before they are ripe, orange/yellow are part way ripened and red are fully ripe. The different colours also have different nutritional benefits, more or less vitamin A, C and beta-carotene.

Not that it changes anything but I found it interesting that they are from the same genus and species of plant. But I'm weird that way! :)

I'm allergic (well, intolerant, I guess) to garlic. It will make me vomit about 6-8 hours after eating it. If there is a tiny pinch of it in something (i.e. the last ingredient on a label), I'm probably OK. But garlic bread, etc...is an absolute no-no.

I'm very health conscious, so there are a ton of foods I chose not to eat regularly. In fact, it would be easier for me to list what I do eat regularly instead of what I don't. But I am careful to use the word "regularly", because it's not giving things up 100%. I allow myself one cheat meal per week, and in that meal I'll eat anything I want. That will vary week to week, depending on what I want. It may be pizza one week, a burger the next. This week, I had mac and cheese...haven't had that in many months. When I'm on vacation (i.e. at WDW), I also will loosen my nutrition routine a good bit. I'll still eat a clean base diet, but will add ice cream, chips, whatever.

I have completely given up caffeine. Haven't had it in probably 10 years. I also don't drink alcohol.

I'm allergic (well, intolerant, I guess) to garlic. It will make me vomit about 6-8 hours after eating it. If there is a tiny pinch of it in something (i.e. the last ingredient on a label), I'm probably OK. But garlic bread, etc...is an absolute no-no.

I'm very health conscious, so there are a ton of foods I chose not to eat regularly. In fact, it would be easier for me to list what I do eat regularly instead of what I don't. But I am careful to use the word "regularly", because it's not giving things up 100%. I allow myself one cheat meal per week, and in that meal I'll eat anything I want. That will vary week to week, depending on what I want. It may be pizza one week, a burger the next. This week, I had mac and cheese...haven't had that in many months. When I'm on vacation (i.e. at WDW), I also will loosen my nutrition routine a good bit. I'll still eat a clean base diet, but will add ice cream, chips, whatever.

I have completely given up caffeine. Haven't had it in probably 10 years. I also don't drink alcohol.
Meh - booze I could totally take or leave, but my (addicted) head is starting to throb just thinking about cutting out caffeine. :headache:

I have Celiac disease. That means no wheat, rye or barley. And only uncontaminated oats. (Which are pretty expensive.)

I was diagnosed over 10 years ago.
Oh, and I can't drink Brandy. I makes me throw up. And not the "I've had so much to drink, I am so drunk" throw up. No, it can be the only alcohol in my system, and I take a sip. That is enough.

Meh - booze I could totally take or leave, but my (addicted) head is starting to throb just thinking about cutting out caffeine. :headache:

Ditching caffeine isn't really all that hard. Like anything else, you adjust. It was banned by my doctor a long time ago. I used to drink regular coffee all the time (and the occasional caffeinated soda). I switched cold turkey to decaf everything. I was a big lethargic the first few weeks, but then it became a non-issue. I accidentally drank about 1/2 of my wife's Diet Cokes (with caffeine) one time a few years ago, and it made me feel awful.

Green bell peppers are a very common problem, for the same reason young green apples are: they are not yet ripe. Unripe fruits often give people intestinal issues. Peppers are not unique in that respect, but they are one of the few fruits that people routinely eat when not yet ripe, primarily because they are cheaper that way. I cut them out of my diet decades ago because they made me belch constantly, I switched solely to red or orange (if cooked), and that was all that it took.

I'm intolerant of excess citric acid. I found this out when I was a child and went on an orange-juice binge; I ended up sick as a dog for a full 36 hours. Later experiments told me that I can have fresh citrus, but my limit is about 4 oz. of juice or half a fruit. Bummer because I really love citrus fruit.

I had a near-fatal case of acute pancreatitis a couple of years ago, and I'm now permanently on a low-fat diet because of resulting damage to my pancreas. It is now pretty fragile and no longer properly capable of digesting fats, so I have to severely limit my consumption of them in all forms.

Oh, and I can't drink Brandy. I makes me throw up. And not the "I've had so much to drink, I am so drunk" throw up. No, it can be the only alcohol in my system, and I take a sip. That is enough.

That's what I was like with beer. Especially Coors. :crazy2: I don't like beer anyway and I don't have alcohol anymore either, so it's no big loss. Just weird how a couple sips can make you sick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter