Spin-Off of "Won't Eat" - What CAN'T You Eat

Can't drink soft drinks with sugar in them--gives me terrible indigestion. I think it's all that sugar in syrup form--just too much.

This is a weird one.
Lipton has a half iced tea/half lemonade drink.
Can't drink it-makes my throat super itchy.
But, I can drink iced tea and lemonade separately, any brand, home made, etc.

White rice. Sends my blood sugar to the moon, no matter how small a serving.
I can sneak some bread, and other carbs, and even sweetened foods, but rice is pure evil.

Nuts in large quantities always upsets my stomach. I had a major health event last week so I know that my diet will most definitely be changing once I have my doctor's appt. in the morning. Well actually I got a head's start this week but it will be official tomorrow :sad1:

I developed a fish and seafood allergy in my late 40's. Which is horrible for me because I adored both and ate them all the time for my whole life.

The other thing I can't eat is raw green bell pepper. Looks like I'm not the only one based on this thread! I can eat them cooked but if I eat them raw, I have terrible heartburn. And I never, ever get heartburn from anything else. I can eat raw orange, yellow, or red bell pepper. This used to annoy the heck out of my mother who always put raw green peppers in salad and used to yell at me for being picky when I didn't eat them. (I was in my late 30's at the time!) :rolleyes1 I didn't complain or anything, I just left them in the bottom of the bowl.

Bananas, Pineapple, Quinoa, and sometimes avocado. If the avocado is just right it doesn't bother me but if its under ripe or over ripe I will be paying for it later.

:hug: Sounds so rough, and I know you've mentioned it before. Is it likely to heal, or will those side effects be permanent?

Yeah, it's so weird sometimes. Bananas and iceberg lettuce are two of my particularly bad ones but they can both be managed by the meds.

No, it's healed as good as it's going to get. I will be 8 years out of treatment in May. If anything, the stricture may get worse again. I've needed my esophagus stretched, I've had it done about 6 times, I think. It does suck, I'm not going to lie, but at least I can eat some foods, and I no longer have a peg tube. That was unbearable for me, and had that peg tube for eighteen months. I didn't eat any food at all, for about ten months. So, I try not to complain, but I really do miss going out to eat, since I can't really do that.

No, it's healed as good as it's going to get. I will be 8 years out of treatment in May. If anything, the stricture may get worse again. I've needed my esophagus stretched, I've had it done about 6 times, I think. It does suck, I'm not going to lie, but at least I can eat some foods, and I no longer have a peg tube. That was unbearable for me, and had that peg tube for eighteen months. I didn't eat any food at all, for about ten months. So, I try not to complain, but I really do miss going out to eat, since I can't really do that.
You're a trooper and you have my admiration. :flower3:

I think so many of us have no experience with the permanent aftermath of surviving a disease like cancer. We assume you're either "going to make it" or you're not and don't consider much beyond that. Your story is informative and sobering.

Peanuts, almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, walnuts, peaches....the I can't eat them or I could die scenario....Allergic to all. Anaphylaxis type allergy.

You're a trooper and you have my admiration. :flower3:

I think so many of us have no experience with the permanent aftermath of surviving a disease like cancer. We assume you're either "going to make it" or you're not and don't consider much beyond that. Your story is informative and sobering.

Thank you. It really is difficult dealing with people who just don't understand that I'm not ever going to be what I once was. With some cancers, the treatment and side effects, are more brutal than others, and head and neck cancer is one of those cancers. I get people telling me all the time about how so and so relative had cancer, and she can eat normally, and she had radiation. Uhm, ya, cause she had breast cancer, and the radiation wasn't aimed at her mouth and neck. :rolleyes: People just don't get it. If I would have known what my quality of life would be like now, I am not sure I would have done radiation. Course, since I was stage 4, there is a solid chance, I would not still be here if I did not.

Thank you. It really is difficult dealing with people who just don't understand that I'm not ever going to be what I once was. With some cancers, the treatment and side effects, are more brutal than others, and head and neck cancer is one of those cancers. I get people telling me all the time about how so and so relative had cancer, and she can eat normally, and she had radiation. Uhm, ya, cause she had breast cancer, and the radiation wasn't aimed at her mouth and neck. :rolleyes: People just don't get it. If I would have known what my quality of life would be like now, I am not sure I would have done radiation. Course, since I was stage 4, there is a solid chance, I would not still be here if I did not.
I understand. :hug:

The last time I had Mushroom Neptune's ( stuffed mushroom with shrimp ,crab and cream cheese) from the Keg I broke out in hives. I am still trying to figure out what caused it. I loved them and ate the for years without any problems. It is weird since I have had shirmp and crab seperately without a problem so I am wondering if it was the combo. Still disappointed though. :(

Garlic makes me bloated but I still eat it.

Red wine make me bright red. I still drink it on occasion but only half a glass.

intolerance test gave me a big list. Eczema issues. The ones I'm mostly looking out for:
tomatoes, clove, peanut, cashews, red 40, caramel color, radish, sodium caseinate

I have Celiac disease. That means no wheat, rye or barley. And only uncontaminated oats. (Which are pretty expensive.)

I was diagnosed over 10 years ago.

I am not allergic to anything.

Mushrooms make me gag though. I'm a picky eater in general, but mushrooms of all kinds top the hated list for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter