Spin-Off of "Won't Eat" - What CAN'T You Eat

Despite a hiatal hernia & acid reflux, I can eat most things as long as it's not right before bed. I have had allergic reactions to shrimp when not fully cooked/cleaned.

I and one of my daughters have an intense intolerance to chives. No skin or throat swelling but intense intestinal reaction.

Nothing. I have no cultural, religious, ethical, or health-related dietary restrictions. My doctor told me to cut back on the salt, but screw that.

However, I can't do hot peppers that chili afficionados would consider child's play. Like, Old El Paso Extra Mild salsa almost does me in. I don't know if there's something physiologically different about my palate, or if I'm just a giant weenie, but I can't do foods with a lot of heat. I've seen friends eat Nuclear Armageddon wings coated in Satan's Sweat Sauce, drink some beer, wipe the sweat from their brow, and keep eating. Might as well be waterboarding me.

For acid reflux reasons, I can't eat anything acid-y after a certain time of night...usually 4-5pm lol

No tomato, citrus, chocolate, fried food, or even chips/crackers

When I was a child, I had grape soda twice and vomited immediately, so I haven't touched it since. (Not that it would be on my list to consume anyway!)
I'm also extremely contact-allergic to aloe, so I avoid consuming it as well.

I used to have terrible acid reflux. Like I thought I might die in the middle of the night it was so bad. I haven't had it even once since going on a plant based diet. I really think it was the dairy that caused it. I used to avoid tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and red wine. Evidently i was wrong.

I used to have terrible acid reflux. Like I thought I might die in the middle of the night it was so bad. I haven't had it even once since going on a plant based diet. I really think it was the dairy that caused it. I used to avoid tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and red wine. Evidently i was wrong.

The strangest things set mine off - oatmeal, for example.

For Mrs. Homie it's OJ and garlic. Which really sucks because, well, OJ is delicious and so is garlic. She'll drink/eat those things and then regret it later.

Most of my "can't eat" list is due to the food or ingredient giving me a migraine:

Anything w/ MSG
Anything w/ Red Wine - even cooked sauces - red wine will give me a massive migraine
Blue Cheese
Vodka

As I've gotten older, I also can no longer drink a lot of coffee... too much makes me jittery & anxious & makes my heart all fluttery. One cup a day is about all I can do now.

I've also noticed that, as I've gotten older, I have to be more careful w/ dairy & spicy/acidic foods... it's not that I can't eat them, it's just that I have to be careful & not eat a lot of dairy and/or acidic/spicy foods several days in a row... especially at night. Sometimes, I'll be perfectly fine, &, sometimes, garlic bread w/ my meal at an Italian restaurant is too much. But it's not to the point yet where I've completely given up anything.

Oh, & I broke my wrist when I was a senior & I broke my elbow on the same arm a few years later, so, now, I have arthritis in that arm. When I eat a lot of gluten, my arm will hurt worse due to the inflammation. So, if I'm having a particularly ache-y time w/ my arm, I'll lay off the gluten for a while.

And I've never had a gallbladder attack or anything before, but about 2 months ago, we ate at a new Mexican restaurant, & I had some kind of attack later that night which lasted for about 3 days... I thought I was having a heart attack & dying. I've never experienced anything like it before, & the anxiety of the whole "event" triggered awful panic attacks which just made it worse. I'm not sure what it was... maybe something in the salsa? But I've been leery about eating Mexican ever since.

I have a lengthy list of foods I cannot eat, since I have dysphagia and my mouth is sensitive from radiation treatments, because I had head and neck cancer. Cannot swallow much meat, so things like steak are out. Absolutely nothing with hot peppers or anything hot and spicy, because even black pepper hurts too much. Also salt bothers me, so no potato chips or salty snacks, too burny and have trouble swallowing most hard/crunchy things. I'd probably have an easier time listing things I can eat, since it's a way shorter list. Lol
:hug: Sounds so rough, and I know you've mentioned it before. Is it likely to heal, or will those side effects be permanent?
The strangest things set mine off - oatmeal, for example.
Yeah, it's so weird sometimes. Bananas and iceberg lettuce are two of my particularly bad ones but they can both be managed by the meds.

Only thing I can't have is msg... very unpleasant headache. Otherwise I'm very lucky with food

I'm allergic to cow liver. My mom use to make it and my sister was not happy that I didn't have to eat it. I have no idea what it did to me as my mom either never told me or I forgot but I have to admit, I have no desire to try it to see. I am like a lot of others, acid reflux and should be staying away from tomato, citrus. Definitely cannot have a meal 3 hours before bedtime.

Raw tomatoes and pineapples break my mouth in canker sores. So those are a no go.

Popcorn seems to be another thing I cannot eat. One handful of popcorn and I will have the worst stabbing pain in my stomach/chest area. I just will not eat it anymore.

Avocados. Severe stomach/digestive issues. I would call it an intolerance, but I did have a delayed swelling reaction to a scratch test so possibly a minor allergy too.

I can't eat large amounts of fatty beef. I can roll up to an all you eat cheesecake bar with no ill effects, but more than a couple bites of steak and I'm toast! Not sure, but I'm allergic to grass - could grass fed beef be the issue???

Some wine. I'm allergic to oak and some other woods, so that can be an issue.

Anything containing Gin. Juniper allergies.

Overall, pretty easy things to avoid so I can't complain too much.

I had to give up anthing heartburn inducing -
alcohol, caffiene, chocolate, garlic, onion, tomato, citrus, pineapple, spicy food, carbonated drinks, super fatty or fried foods

It totally sucks, and I have a little bit of the forbidden items here and there, but not at all like I used to. It especially sucks because you'd think I'd easily drop some pounds giving up the chocolate, alcohol, and fried stuff, but nope.
Well that DOES suck! You should get SOMETHING out of all that sacrifice.That's just crummy.

Grapefruit. I'm taking cholesterol medicine.

Beverages: Alcohol due to my diabetes. Coffee and tea that has caffeine are always consumed before two P.M.

Raw tomatoes and pineapples break my mouth in canker sores. So those are a no go.

Popcorn seems to be another thing I cannot eat. One handful of popcorn and I will have the worst stabbing pain in my stomach/chest area. I just will not eat it anymore.
I think sometimes the problem with popcorn is the oil it is popped in, not the popcorn itself. I can eat popcorn popped at home with no problem but the stuff served at our movie theater makes me ill.

Pumpkins are an absolute must avoid. The few times I've had something with pumpkin in it, I regretted all night long.

Milk is an allergy problem I suspect, with the way I react. Aged milk products I'm not as sure about but of late have been avoiding and I'm glad that I am. Beef is something that can be odd for me. Commercial beef makes me very ill I believe. Grass fed beef on the other hand I suspect isn't as big of a problem. It has been confusing to me, but of late I've stayed away from beef, which is easy for me to do as I don't care for the taste of beef, and I'm feeling healthier.

Hopefully the good energy and feelings will continue as I'm soon to be swamped with spring breakers. I'm going to need all the energy i can muster to handle this. Looking forward to see everyone though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter