Southwest, don't ask "Is this seat taken?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Southwest or FAA, my point was we followed the rule and purchased the ticket, yet some people didn't think we did, referencing back to the OP's complaint that she thought someone was not following the rules.

Why it was surprising:
1) No one asked during our previous Southwest flights, when my son was actually under 2
2) We were asked more than once on the way to MCO AND on the way back
3) We were sitting in the back of the plane (4 or 5 rows from the back), which is typically not a desirable location
4) We were flying with a toddler, and typically solo travelers would rather sit in the lavatory than next to a lap infant or toddler

Those items combined made it surprising we were repeatedly asked about his seat, up to and including involving a FA. I can't imagine any other seat on the plane being less desirable than my son's seat.
This is the strange thing about the way Southwest boards; middle seats in the back fill up before middle seats at the front.

This is the strange thing about the way Southwest boards; middle seats in the back fill up before middle seats at the front.

Good point. I'd suspect that's because people make their way to the back hoping to find an aisle or window seat and when they can't, they take the first middle seat in the back.

To the best of my knowledge, children under the age of 3 can be lap babies...at least that's what comes to mind. If my dd had flown as a lap baby at the age of 2, there would be a lot of questions! She was very tall for her age. Would I have been insulted if asked? Maybe. But at that point I would have whipped out all three boarding passes...just to stop the questions! Shouldn't have to, but some people just don't give up.

To the best of my knowledge, children under the age of 3 can be lap babies...at least that's what comes to mind. If my dd had flown as a lap baby at the age of 2, there would be a lot of questions! She was very tall for her age. Would I have been insulted if asked? Maybe. But at that point I would have whipped out all three boarding passes...just to stop the questions! Shouldn't have to, but some people just don't give up.

No, it is children under the age of 2 who can fly as lap babies. A 2 year old or older must be ticketed and have his or her own seat.

Southwest or FAA, my point was we followed the rule and purchased the ticket, yet some people didn't think we did, referencing back to the OP's complaint that she thought someone was not following the rules.

Why it was surprising:
1) No one asked during our previous Southwest flights, when my son was actually under 2
2) We were asked more than once on the way to MCO AND on the way back
3) We were sitting in the back of the plane (4 or 5 rows from the back), which is typically not a desirable location
4) We were flying with a toddler, and typically solo travelers would rather sit in the lavatory than next to a lap infant or toddler

Those items combined made it surprising we were repeatedly asked about his seat, up to and including involving a FA. I can't imagine any other seat on the plane being less desirable than my son's seat.

Much ado by you about nothing. Fly an airline with assigned seating if this is such an issue.

You can still purchase early bird check-in right through the web site. You can do it any time up until 36 hours before your flight, which is when they check you in. This would be the only way to guarantee you'll sit together.

EBCI does not guarantee seating together. Much more likely, but not guaranteed.

If there werent seats available, then I can understand them asking. We have seen, right here, posters who don't want to pay for a seat for their child, so they have them listed as lap babies, and then they put the child down on a seat, hoping no one will ask.
Here's the issue......airlines are flying more and more full flights. There just aren't that many empty seats, at least not on the more popular routes. So, you can't blame someone for asking.

I was on SW one time where every seat was taken and the last person on could not find a seat. Someone with a lap baby tried to get away with taking a seat. The FA had to read off the names of people with lap babies and finally they admitted it and moved the baby.

EBCI does not guarantee seating together. Much more likely, but not guaranteed.

True but its the best chance a person can get for getting seats together, shy of booking business select. The only time EBCI MAY not work out is on a connecting flight that's continuing from a different location. Otherwise, they'll be on early enough to get seats together.

He was ticketed, per the airline's rule. He also does not look like an infant. Between our 2 flights, we were asked 5 times (mix of other travelers and FA asking). I was especially surprised because last time we flew Southwest with him (Oct 13) not one person asked.
This happened with us when I did buy my 10 month old a ticket. Every flight attendant told us to take him out of his car seat and put him on our lap as the flight was over sold. I had to keep showing proof I bought his seat. No way was I giving up his seat. As for southwest I have never had drama on a flight. Once I was distracted and forgot to line up with my B group and ended up almost last to board. No big deal. Once we paid for our seats to be together and a child about 12 wanted to switch with my husband and he did. Again no big deal. We try to board and get settled as quickly as possible and make the best of it and so far so good.

No, it is children under the age of 2 who can fly as lap babies. A 2 year old or older must be ticketed and have his or her own seat.

Thanks!

True but its the best chance a person can get for getting seats together, shy of booking business select. The only time EBCI MAY not work out is on a connecting flight that's continuing from a different location. Otherwise, they'll be on early enough to get seats together.
The issue is that many here, on this board, will post that buying EBCI gets them on the plane before everyone else so they get to sit together. And that just isn't the case! EBCI merely gets you checked in earlier than those that didn't buy it...hence the name. BUT...with more and more people buying EBCI, pretty soon we are going to be seeing EBCI people in the back of the B group!!! And that is not going to make people happy!!! I have seen people here post that they paid extra to get early boarding, and they found that they were behind the family boarding group, in the low B's!

Wow! I didn't realize this was such an issue. I'm glad I'm not traveling with more than two. I know sometimes the flight attendant will ask if people would be willing to move so a family could sit with their children. And people do move for them. I like to think that courtesy and common sense play a role. But....I am an eternal optimist at heart! Happy Flying.

Thanks!

The issue is that many here, on this board, will post that buying EBCI gets them on the plane before everyone else so they get to sit together. And that just isn't the case! EBCI merely gets you checked in earlier than those that didn't buy it...hence the name. BUT...with more and more people buying EBCI, pretty soon we are going to be seeing EBCI people in the back of the B group!!! And that is not going to make people happy!!! I have seen people here post that they paid extra to get early boarding, and they found that they were behind the family boarding group, in the low B's!

And I feel there is something wrong with that. We always buy EBCI for everyone in our party and so far, we've always been in A boarding group. If we buy EBCI and are in B and see all the families boarding before us, then I will not purchase it again.

This happened with us when I did buy my 10 month old a ticket. Every flight attendant told us to take him out of his car seat and put him on our lap as the flight was over sold. (snip).
Fiendish me, If more than one crew member made the request would have written a complaint letter and included,
(1) A description (easily Googled, no need to do the technical analysis and mechanical engineering and rigorous proof yourself) of how in a sudden deceleration a lap child could become a projectile that hardly anyone would have the strength to hold back,
(2) A description (easily Googled) of how in a sudden deceleration a lap child could become crushed when the holder's body doubled over,
(3) A request for some compensation for the purpose of increasing the chance that this as a teachable moment for flight crew actually got taught.
If we buy EBCI and are in B and see all the families boarding before us, then I will not purchase it again.
If you were a similarly circumstanced family you might as well up and board with the family group rather than wait for the B group you were assigned to. Note that if there are too many families booked on that plane then the gate agents might not hold a family boarding session and then your early bird boarding assignment would be of value.

Last edited:
So if my wife somehow gets a better boarding possition than me and sits down she will probably save the seat next to her..Any cry babies have a problem with that.. TOO BAD.. Its not like we are saving all the window seats or anything... Get over it!!

So if my wife somehow gets a better boarding possition than me and sits down she will probably save the seat next to her..Any cry babies have a problem with that.. TOO BAD.. Its not like we are saving all the window seats or anything... Get over it!!
My DH has A-List status on Southwest so he always gets a much better boarding position than I do. I pay for EBCI but am sometimes very far back in the A line, A43 recently but I've had A60 and even B10.

When we travel together, he lines up with me at my boarding position and we board together. It's just easier than dealing with any issues with having him try to save a seat for me. We never have a problem getting seats together. There are a lot of single fliers (who are A-Listers and board ahead of us) who grab aisle seats, leaving middle and window seats open in their row. On our last couple of flights we were in middle and window seats towards the front of the plane, row 7 one time, row 4 another time. It's never been an issue but then again our flights did not have any continuing passengers on board so that makes it easier.

If you were a similarly circumstanced family you might as well up and board with the family group rather than wait for the B group you were assigned to. Note that if there are too many families booked on that plane then the gate agents might not hold a family boarding session and then your early bird boarding assignment would be of value.
My kids are too old for family boarding now. It seems like the lines (to Orlando anyways) are huge for family boarding. I've never yet seen them not allow it. I have seen them try to control it by not allowing extended family to board with this group though.

Wow! I didn't realize this was such an issue. I'm glad I'm not traveling with more than two. I know sometimes the flight attendant will ask if people would be willing to move so a family could sit with their children. And people do move for them. I like to think that courtesy and common sense play a role. But....I am an eternal optimist at heart! Happy Flying.
I will sometimes offer to move. But only if I'm flying solo and if I get the same type seat I originally chose. I won't move from a window or aisle seat for a middle seat.
And if I am traveling with others, we also want to sit together.

And I feel there is something wrong with that. We always buy EBCI for everyone in our party and so far, we've always been in A boarding group. If we buy EBCI and are in B and see all the families boarding before us, then I will not purchase it again.
And that's your right. But, EBCI does not promise to get you into the A boarding group. Many here have purchased it and been in the B group. With so many people buying it now, it's bound to become more common.

And you do realize that unless someone is actively sitting in a seat, it is considered to be an open seat, right? I doubt many will want to sit in a middle seat, but perhaps there could be two people traveling together that would like those two 'empty' seats.
Not to mention, your condescending attitude is uncalled for. Nor is it appreciated. Crybabies indeed!

She can try to save the seat next to her. But if someone who boards ahead of you wants it, they will get it. The FAs will not side with someone saving a seat. So you may want to start practicing getting over it.8-)

I'm agree with you but until/if that happens, it's still safe to say that EBCI is your best shot at having your party sit together, short of buying business select fares. If someone wants to position themselves for the best possibility of sitting together (without paying high fares), I have no qualms about telling them to buy EBCI. I've been assigned Bs with EBCI before but even then, it's not until the low C's start to board that it starts getting difficult to find 2 seats together.

I'm agree with you but until/if that happens, it's still safe to say that EBCI is your best shot at having your party sit together, short of buying business select fares. If someone wants to position themselves for the best possibility of sitting together (without paying high fares), I have no qualms about telling them to buy EBCI. I've been assigned Bs with EBCI before but even then, it's not until the low C's start to board that it starts getting difficult to find 2 seats together.
Absolutely! I say the same thing. I just don't want anyone thinking that if they pay for EBCI, they'll get in the A group and be assured if getting seats together. Yes, that will usually be the case. But it's not etched in stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter