Southwest, don't ask "Is this seat taken?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is seldom any drama when flying SW.
This is usually the case,exactly.:thumbsup2 I've had a few moments where I felt a bit put out due some rude person or another, but overall, we've flown SWA for the past 5 years almost exclusively,with very few issues. Even the dreaded 'cattle call' lines.... almost every person is friendly,we all share our boarding #'s with each other so we're in the right order, we all try to keep a smile on our faces and just get a seat...yes there some 'savers'...yes, my last trip the woman next to me in line complained endlessly about how difficult it was to wait in line with others...:rolleyes: but for the most part, most people are polite and not hateful. All these stories of SWA being a horror show just make me laugh.... As my DH noted...he likes getting a B pass, so he can avoid all those cute little noisy babies on the flight....(he likes babies, but he also just wants to relax on the flight) and we all get to the same destination at the same time.....

Ok...here's a concept. If you want a good shot at having the seats you want, fly a different airline! If there are more than two of you flying, and you just have to sit together, in a specific area of the plane, book with an airline that allows you to choose your seats. Now, understand, those seats can change! I booked myself on a Delta flight from Boston to Orlando many years ago. About a week after I booked, our family situation changed and I was able to take my dd with me...but that meant booking her on a different reservation. No biggie. Got her seated next to me. No problem. Well, not until a month out from the flight. Delta cancelled the flight we were on, and combined our flight with two other flights...one of which was the original flight I wanted but it was a lot more expensive than the flight I chose. I saw that I was put on that more desirable flight, but dd was put on a later, less desirable flight. Of course, the Delta computer didn't realize we were really traveling together...it saw two different reservations. I called Delta, got us both on that same more desirable flight. BUT...our seats were nowhere close to be where I had wanted to be seated.
So, even if you book a legacy airline, and choose your seats, they can still make equipment changes that can, and do, change your chosen seats..and scatter your group all over the plane.

Ok...here's a concept. If you want a good shot at having the seats you want, fly a different airline! If there are more than two of you flying, and you just have to sit together, in a specific area of the plane, book with an airline that allows you to choose your seats. Now, understand, those seats can change! I booked myself on a Delta flight from Boston to Orlando many years ago. About a week after I booked, our family situation changed and I was able to take my dd with me...but that meant booking her on a different reservation. No biggie. Got her seated next to me. No problem. Well, not until a month out from the flight. Delta cancelled the flight we were on, and combined our flight with two other flights...one of which was the original flight I wanted but it was a lot more expensive than the flight I chose. I saw that I was put on that more desirable flight, but dd was put on a later, less desirable flight. Of course, the Delta computer didn't realize we were really traveling together...it saw two different reservations. I called Delta, got us both on that same more desirable flight. BUT...our seats were nowhere close to be where I had wanted to be seated.
So, even if you book a legacy airline, and choose your seats, they can still make equipment changes that can, and do, change your chosen seats..and scatter your group all over the plane.

Southwest is never my first choice, but when we use it I buy EBCI for everyone flying.

I have flown Delta for many years, and really don't have problems with them. I keep my confirmation info on my desk, and give it a check once or twice a week until my flight. Some might not want to do that, fine. For me, it allows me to make any necessary adjustments quickly. (And if I have to call, I go online first and get a couple of options lined up. They nearly always go with my requests.) I think it's preferable to be in the know sooner rather than later about an equipment change/time change. Delta usually doesn't email these changes right away...so I can usually grab new seats together before word gets out. More options is always better. :)
I figure it's my travel day. I do what I can to make it pleasant.

I can't side with anyone ticked about this. I sat apart from my husband on the way to Disney for our honeymoon in 2003. (This was before early bird) I lost a little faith in humanity that day as no one would move and there were at least 2 dozen single flyers.

What? Are you saying you want an unusual experience sitting next to my adult child daughter? She's 12. Are you a pervert? What are you getting at?

There's more drama on this thread then in the real boarding process and more amazingly bizarre statements.

One poster loses faith in humanity and another accuses a poster of being a pervert (how did that get past the 'no name calling police' on the DIS LOL!)
IF this is your reaction to not getting the seat you want I strongly suggest driving from now on

(And why should a single flyer care that it's your honeymoon? And how did you KNOW they were single, did you do a survey? Were you afraid your husband would cheat on you with them on the flights? I fail to see the relevance of "single flyers" to "I didn't get my way" LOL!)

Southwest is never my first choice, but when we use it I buy EBCI for everyone flying.

I have flown Delta for many years, and really don't have problems with them. I keep my confirmation info on my desk, and give it a check once or twice a week until my flight. Some might not want to do that, fine. For me, it allows me to make any necessary adjustments quickly. (And if I have to call, I go online first and get a couple of options lined up. They nearly always go with my requests.) I think it's preferable to be in the know sooner rather than later about an equipment change/time change. Delta usually doesn't email these changes right away...so I can usually grab new seats together before word gets out. More options is always better. :)
I figure it's my travel day. I do what I can to make it pleasant.

And there you go....an intelligent flier!! It's always a good idea to check on your flights once a month and then more often as you get closer to the flight. When I'm a month out, I'm online checking once a week...then two weeks prior, it's daily! I want to know the status and not wait until the airline decides to let me know!!!

As for the 'name calling police'...I think most of us just let it go rather than 'get into it'. There are a lot of things here we should just 'let go'!!!!

OrangeCountyCommuter said:
One poster loses faith in humanity and another accuses a poster of being a pervert (how did that get past the 'no name calling police' on the DIS LOL!)

Nah. goofy4tink knows I'm not a pervert. Weird, but not perverted :).

I'm getting concerned now. My DD is 4 and we will head to the World in June on Southwest. We've never flown southwest but I've already bought our tickets because the Want to Get away price was really good, and the no baggage charges trumped any other 'deal' I could find. I didn't get Early check in, I don't remember seeing it as an option. I can not sit apart from her, she's 4. I hope we can 'family board' and not have issues. I don't care if we are in the back or front or aisle/middle, aisle/window, just as long as we are together. She will probably want a window but can deal if not. (not related, she's flown twice before- roundtrips- and her behavior was stellar! The first trip was when she was about 6-7 months old and we were the only non business men on the trip- seriously. All the other passengers on the tiny plane (s) were business men. they all got looks of dread and consternation when she and I got on the plane(s), but by the end of the both those roundtrip flights she had them all wrapped around her finger and smiling at her. :love: )

I'm getting concerned now. My DD is 4 and we will head to the World in June on Southwest. We've never flown southwest but I've already bought our tickets because the Want to Get away price was really good, and the no baggage charges trumped any other 'deal' I could find. I didn't get Early check in, I don't remember seeing it as an option. I can not sit apart from her, she's 4. I hope we can 'family board' and not have issues. I don't care if we are in the back or front or aisle/middle, aisle/window, just as long as we are together. She will probably want a window but can deal if not. (not related, she's flown twice before- roundtrips- and her behavior was stellar! The first trip was when she was about 6-7 months old and we were the only non business men on the trip- seriously. All the other passengers on the tiny plane (s) were business men. they all got looks of dread and consternation when she and I got on the plane(s), but by the end of the both those roundtrip flights she had them all wrapped around her finger and smiling at her. :love: )

You can still purchase early bird check-in right through the web site. You can do it any time up until 36 hours before your flight, which is when they check you in. This would be the only way to guarantee you'll sit together.

We just got back from WDW 2 weeks ago via Southwest. We were asked repeatedly (occasionally accused) of "saving" a middle seat...that our almost 3 year old was sitting in! At the back of the plane, no less. A passenger got a flight attendant to ask if our son was a ticketed passenger or a lap infant.

Insane. That passenger actually wanted to sit in a middle seat in a row with what they perceived as a lap child???

If there werent seats available, then I can understand them asking. We have seen, right here, posters who don't want to pay for a seat for their child, so they have them listed as lap babies, and then they put the child down on a seat, hoping no one will ask.
Here's the issue......airlines are flying more and more full flights. There just aren't that many empty seats, at least not on the more popular routes. So, you can't blame someone for asking.

We've always had good luck with EBCI. The most dicey part is the plane change and hoping we are in time to line up for the second leg. We fly Detroit to St. Louis then Orlando this time. There is an hour between so I think we are good.
We used to think Delta was the best choice but the price this trip (spring break) was terrible, plus bag fees! Once on Delta when the 5 of us went they changed our seats with about 2 weeks to go--we were still 3 in one row and 2 in the next, but almost in the complete back of the plane. Frustrating when you get to Orlando and you just want to get to ME. But they changed the plane and that's where we ended up.
Daisyx3

If there werent seats available, then I can understand them asking. We have seen, right here, posters who don't want to pay for a seat for their child, so they have them listed as lap babies, and then they put the child down on a seat, hoping no one will ask.
Here's the issue......airlines are flying more and more full flights. There just aren't that many empty seats, at least not on the more popular routes. So, you can't blame someone for asking.
He was ticketed, per the airline's rule. He also does not look like an infant. Between our 2 flights, we were asked 5 times (mix of other travelers and FA asking). I was especially surprised because last time we flew Southwest with him (Oct 13) not one person asked.

He was ticketed, per the airline's rule. He also does not look like an infant. Between our 2 flights, we were asked 5 times (mix of other travelers and FA asking). I was especially surprised because last time we flew Southwest with him (Oct 13) not one person asked.

This isn't the airline's rule, it's required by the FAA. It can be hard to tell how old children are, so I'm not sure why it was so surprising that people asked if your child was ticketed.

This isn't the airline's rule, it's required by the FAA. It can be hard to tell how old children are, so I'm not sure why it was so surprising that people asked if your child was ticketed.

Southwest or FAA, my point was we followed the rule and purchased the ticket, yet some people didn't think we did, referencing back to the OP's complaint that she thought someone was not following the rules.

Why it was surprising:
1) No one asked during our previous Southwest flights, when my son was actually under 2
2) We were asked more than once on the way to MCO AND on the way back
3) We were sitting in the back of the plane (4 or 5 rows from the back), which is typically not a desirable location
4) We were flying with a toddler, and typically solo travelers would rather sit in the lavatory than next to a lap infant or toddler

Those items combined made it surprising we were repeatedly asked about his seat, up to and including involving a FA. I can't imagine any other seat on the plane being less desirable than my son's seat.

Southwest or FAA, my point was we followed the rule and purchased the ticket, yet some people didn't think we did, referencing back to the OP's complaint that she thought someone was not following the rules.

Why it was surprising:
1) No one asked during our previous Southwest flights, when my son was actually under 2
2) We were asked more than once on the way to MCO AND on the way back
3) We were sitting in the back of the plane (4 or 5 rows from the back), which is typically not a desirable location
4) We were flying with a toddler, and typically solo travelers would rather sit in the lavatory than next to a lap infant or toddler

Those items combined made it surprising we were repeatedly asked about his seat, up to and including involving a FA. I can't imagine any other seat on the plane being less desirable than my son's seat.

I hear what you're saying, but not only can people not tell how old a child is, they also don't know if you've bought a ticket for him. It shouldn't be offensive or surprising - a simple "yes he has a ticket" resolves the situation. Perhaps the person inquiring had very few other options, and sitting next to a kid was the lesser of two evils (I'd rather sit next to a kid than a larger person encroaching my space, for instance).

The flipside of this, to play devil's advocate, is that the person inquiring could have been an grouchy whistle blower trying to call you out on something (that you didn't do) because they can't mind their own business. This goes on, believe it or not ;)

I hear what you're saying, but not only can people not tell how old a child is, they also don't know if you've bought a ticket for him. It shouldn't be offensive or surprising - a simple "yes he has a ticket" resolves the situation. Perhaps the person inquiring had very few other options, and sitting next to a kid was the lesser of two evils (I'd rather sit next to a kid than a larger person encroaching my space, for instance).

The flipside of this, to play devil's advocate, is that the person inquiring could have been an grouchy whistle blower trying to call you out on something (that you didn't do) because they can't mind their own business. This goes on, believe it or not ;)

One traveler involved a FA. That was offensive and surprising.

One traveler involved a FA. That was offensive and surprising.

I would imagine that passenger was one of two kinds of people:

1. A person who was not comfortable asking another passenger the question, so they asked the FA in case a rule needed to be enforced. This would likely be a person who felt there were no other good seat options.

2. The grouchy whistle blower I mentioned who was acting self righteously by involving an FA because they thought they were catching you disobeying the rules.

If it were me and my lack of seating options were limited, I'd have no qualms about engaging an FA for help or having them ask fellow passengers if the seat was truly taken. If it was, I'd move on. Is that what the passenger did or did he have a fit about it? If the latter, then I would construe that as offensive, yes. I've seen plenty of people who are not aware of their surroundings and spread out in the seats with their legs up, stuff everywhere, lap babies in seats, not paying attention to the fact that the plane is basically full and people still need seats. Sometimes the question does need to be asked.

I would imagine that passenger was one of two kinds of people:

1. A person who was not comfortable asking another passenger the question, so they asked the FA in case a rule needed to be enforced. This would likely be a person who felt there were no other good seat options.

2. The grouchy whistle blower I mentioned who was acting self righteously by involving an FA because they thought they were catching you disobeying the rules.

If it were me and my lack of seating options were limited, I'd have no qualms about engaging an FA for help or having them ask fellow passengers if the seat was truly taken. If it was, I'd move on. Is that what the passenger did or did he have a fit about it? If the latter, then I would construe that as offensive, yes. I've seen plenty of people who are not aware of their surroundings and spread out in the seats with their legs up, stuff everywhere, lap babies in seats, not paying attention to the fact that the plane is basically full and people still need seats. Sometimes the question does need to be asked.

I should have clarified, he asked us first then went to the FA. He pointed back to us and then the FA came back to ask us as well. And he didn't ask if the seat was free, he asked if my son had a ticket.

I should have clarified, he asked us first then went to the FA. He pointed back to us and then the FA came back to ask us as well. And he didn't ask if the seat was free, he asked if my son had a ticket.

In this scenario, yes, I agree offensive. Sounds like an aggravated traveler/grouchy whistle blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter