Skipper Canteen (Jungle Cruise themed restaurant) updates and ADR watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am disappointed that the cuisine will be Asian. I abhor it so I will not be able to experience this. The same goes for Morimoto. I looked at that menu and no matter how curious I am to try an Iron Chef establishment, the menu was very unappetizing to me.

I am disappointed that the cuisine will be Asian. I abhor it so I will not be able to experience this. The same goes for Morimoto. I looked at that menu and no matter how curious I am to try an Iron Chef establishment, the menu was very unappetizing to me.

Why would you rule it our before you have even seen the menu? From what has been said the food will be inspired by Asia, South America and Africa - so we really don't have much of an idea what the actual dishes will be.

Why would you rule it our before you have even seen the menu? From what has been said the food will be inspired by Asia, South America and Africa - so we really don't have much of an idea what the actual dishes will be.
I'm with RBrooksC on this. I just can't do Asian Cuisine. Just the smell of the food being cooked makes my stomach roil to the point I have a hard time passing through Japan in EPCOT. Not a big fan of the spices use in African Cuisine either. Possibly there might be something of the South American that might appeal to me but if it's fruity or coconut stuff like Jamaican food or Bahama Breeze I don't care for it. I read the Morimoto menu & found nothing I would like. Very Disappointed on the Jock Lindsey menu also as there was maybe one item I might try but would want somethings left off. I like to taste my food not have it buried under excessive seasonings, hot spices or heavy sauces.

I'm with RBrooksC on this. I just can't do Asian Cuisine. Just the smell of the food being cooked makes my stomach roil to the point I have a hard time passing through Japan in EPCOT. Not a big fan of the spices use in African Cuisine either. Possibly there might be something of the South American that might appeal to me but if it's fruity or coconut stuff like Jamaican food or Bahama Breeze I don't care for it. I read the Morimoto menu & found nothing I would like. Very Disappointed on the Jock Lindsey menu also as there was maybe one item I might try but would want somethings left off. I like to taste my food not have it buried under excessive seasonings, hot spices or heavy sauces.

All fairness to Jock's is that it is not a restaurant. It is a bar and offers a few appetizer style items. I was there last week and most folks were just drinking.

Last edited:

I am not a fan of Asian or African food either, but I am not going to be so quick to rule it out until I actually know what the menu will be.

We are talking about Skipper Canteen. People keep saying Skipper's, Cantina etc. Its just a confusing name. You would think they would pick something more creative for the park. It's not confusing to everyone, but from the posts I have seen apparently it is!

By this logic Akershus is the one that needs to change. A quick scan of the boards will reveal Akerhouse, Askershus, and all sorts of other fun versions of the name...

I am withholding judgment on the menu until it's actually released, but am not the most adventurous eater, so am preparing to not have a whole lot of options. I will likely try it once regardless.

I am not a fan of Asian or African food either, but I am not going to be so quick to rule it out until I actually know what the menu will be.
I haven't ruled it out yet. I'm waiting to see the actual menu like everyone else but based on the type of cuisine alluded to in the DPB post I expect that there won't be much that might appeal to me. Not thrilled by the changes at Pecos Bills either. I'll probably give it a try but people I normally travel with don't do Mexican style food and are way less adventurous than me and have dietary restrictions so I don't know if I'll get a chance to try it on my upcoming trip.

Look, I will look at the menu since I won't be going to WDW for another two years or so. My wife and I discussed Morimoto's establishment when we listened to podcasts about the opening. I said I would be curious to try it because maybe I could find something I liked there but after looking at the menu, I saw nothing on that I found remotely appetizing. I would hope there would be something on there I would enjoy and perhaps there would be, and there is possibility that something from the South American inspired dishes would appeal to me. I mean, I love Mexican, Italian, I would try Moroccan, French and English are perfect. It is when one gets into the Asian cuisine that I start to want to leave the room.

Where did it say this will be Asian inspired cuisine? I don't remember reading anywhere what type of food it will be? Thanks!

I think that an Asian inspired cuisine is a good idea since there isn't such a place now. Variety is good IMO.

I just wish that they could add a good pizza place.

Talking to a "seasoned" CM on Friday who said he works at the Jungle Cruise and will be working in the restaurant. He said they were told they would "have their occupancy on November 8th to begin getting ready to open and for sure would be open by December."
1) As I mentioned, it looks like LTT will be ready by Nov-15th, even though rehabs are not fully complete.
2) Unfortunately, I do not know anyone personally involved with Skipper Canteen to comment on their dates.

I think that an Asian inspired cuisine is a good idea since there isn't such a place now. Variety is good IMO.

I just wish that they could add a good pizza place.

My dh would agree with you. He always complains that, "in all of MK, there is no where to get good pizza". I like variety and choices so I like the idea of Asian cuisine.

Where did it say this will be Asian inspired cuisine? I don't remember reading anywhere what type of food it will be? Thanks!

I thought the same thing, but figured I missed something.

I am hoping that it will be open for our trip in early 2016 and we can get an ADR.

I am looking forward to Scupper's Cantina. Now there is no turning back, the name stays!

My DH never had met a name her gets right, and usually by the time he repeats it a few times it is a mess! Well we have a local restaurant that is a family favorite: Casa de Lisa, which has morphed into Buddish as Casa Da Mama, and not one person we know uses the correct name any longer. Let's see if we can "Scupperdize" the Cantina!

They really need to change the name its so confusing the way its spelled. Surely they can come up with something more creative

I'm confused about why it's confusing. Skipper Canteen is consistent with the Jungle Cruise theming and also creative. Would you rather it just be called Jungle Cruise Cafe to avoid confusion? It's not a cantina. Canteen makes complete sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter