Sizable Price Increase on Tables in Wonderland Membersip

In case you haven't seen it, or if it will help someone else, a breakdown of TIW, DVC, and AP discounts is here: http://allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf

For calculations, the tip is on the undiscounted price but the taxes are on the discounted price. So even right now it's not a straight "spend $500 to start getting the discount" thing. Because the taxes lower that, it's in the high 400s, but not quite to 500. So it wouldn't be quite 750 to hit the discount mark.

I'm well aware of how it works, thanks. Paying $150 on top of the AP price hikes for TIW discounts is pushing it for myself & many others. I never said anything about tips, taxes & what you have to spend to make TIW worth it. So I don't get why you are directing your reply to me.

I know this makes me and the husband sound like total lushes but keep in mind, folks, that the DVC and AP discounts are not inclusive of alcohol. For us, this is where the TiW value really comes in: 20% off a 200$ bottle of wine adds up quickly.
I don't know how many people order a $200 bottle of wine ( and my guess is not very many) but why don't you order a $750 bottle of wine
next time. Your 20% discount of $150 will pay for the TIW card immediately.

I don't know how many people order a $200 bottle of wine ( and my guess is not very many) but why don't you order a $750 bottle of wine next time. Your 20% discount of $150 will pay for the TIW card immediately.

Wow. Judge much?

Okay, we've got an AP with a TIW card that'll run out in May. Not sure if we'll get the card next year or not, but that's a huge increase! And, a crazy amount of math to try to figure out all the possible discounts, etc, Yikes!! Lol :goodvibes

We used to go every Easter with a PAP but didn't renew because of FP+ so we went to New Orleans in 2015 for a fabulous trip with out of this world food for much less than a WDW trip. This Easter my sister and her family wants to come to WDW so we're currently planning that trip. I WAS going to get an PAP for myself and my DD and sneak an extra trip in but I'm not sure getting a PAP is even worth it. I knew there was an Easter Blackout date but the other ones put me over the edge. Plus I couldn't get BOG for dinner only lunch which is not included. Neither is the Fantasmic! package.

*Additional Block-out dates: These select locations are subject to the following block-out dates, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey’s, ‘Ohana (Dinner Only), Cinderella’s Royal Table, LeChefs de France, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, and Le Cellier Steakhouse: November 22-28, 2015 and December 20-26, 2015; March 6-27, 2016; May 29- June 18, 2016; November 13-27, 2016; December 19-25, 2016

Paying more yet getting less has been a trend over the last few years. I am so glad my DH talked me out of DVC when the DD's were little. We are now free to move around the country.

We used to go every Easter with a PAP but didn't renew because of FP+ so we went to New Orleans in 2015 for a fabulous trip with out of this world food for much less than a WDW trip. This Easter my sister and her family wants to come to WDW so we're currently planning that trip. I WAS going to get an PAP for myself and my DD and sneak an extra trip in but I'm not sure getting a PAP is even worth it. I knew there was an Easter Blackout date but the other ones put me over the edge. Plus I couldn't get BOG for dinner only lunch which is not included. Neither is the Fantasmic! package.

*Additional Block-out dates: These select locations are subject to the following block-out dates, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey’s, ‘Ohana (Dinner Only), Cinderella’s Royal Table, LeChefs de France, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, and Le Cellier Steakhouse: November 22-28, 2015 and December 20-26, 2015; March 6-27, 2016; May 29- June 18, 2016; November 13-27, 2016; December 19-25, 2016

Paying more yet getting less has been a trend over the last few years. I am so glad my DH talked me out of DVC when the DD's were little. We are now free to move around the country.
That change is not new with the price increase -- it's been there since August 2014:
*Beginning August 1st 2014, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey’s, ‘Ohana (Dinner Only), Cinderella’s Royal Table, LeChefs de France, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, and Le Cellier Steakhouse will be subject to the additional blockout weeks of: March 8-April 4, 2015; May 31-June 20, 2015; November 22-28, 2015 and December 20-26, 2015.

Blockout dates for Tables in Wonderland are Mother’s Day, Easter Sunday, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Tables in Wonderland is valid for one year from date of purchase.

These increases are so upsetting to me. Knowing my second WDW trip is not guaranteed I need to decide if the following meals are enough to justify the $150 expense (for 2 people, moderate drinkers and moderate eaters - might have to share entrees or dessert so we can have multiple courses):

Yachtsman's Steakhouse
Via Napoli
San Angel Inn
Cape May Cafe (breakfast)
Trails End (dinner)
Brown Derby
Flying Fish
Shula's
Kona Cafe (breakfast)

Plus we'll probably have drinks and apps from various lounges for lunches or additional sit-down breakfasts. I'm assuming there are no discounts at the F&W kiosks, right?!

I wanted to sleep on it but today cancelled nearly a dozen ADRs. The whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth. It just feels like a cynical attempt to capitalize on long-term/frequent visitors who will not let something like this change their vacation of choice.

I'm actually considering canceling our December and February trips, not because it's just too much money but because I am losing the magic.

That change is not new with the price increase -- it's been there since August 2014:

Correct. It was not in place during our Easter Trip 2014. We went to both Le Cellier and Le Chef's (which has turned into our last lunch before departure because it is so sunny and bright in there). So including Easter Day at California Grill which we knew about now 3 out of 6 dinners are blacked out. If my PAP is not seasonal why should the TIW be seasonal?

I wanted to sleep on it but today cancelled nearly a dozen ADRs. The whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth. It just feels like a cynical attempt to capitalize on long-term/frequent visitors who will not let something like this change their vacation of choice.

I'm actually considering canceling our December and February trips, not because it's just too much money but because I am losing the magic.

That's why we did not renew our PAP's last year. My absolute favorite park is Epcot. We stay at an EPCOT resort (usually BC) and FP+ made it impossible to ride both Soarin' and TT in the same morning. The World Showcase Players are gone, Maelstrom is gone, Off Kilter is gone. The line for SE is now constantly long and there is nothing to make up for those loses.

That's why we did not renew our PAP's last year. My absolute favorite park is Epcot. We stay at an EPCOT resort (usually BC) and FP+ made it impossible to ride both Soarin' and TT in the same morning. The World Showcase Players are gone, Maelstrom is gone, Off Kilter is gone. The line for SE is now constantly long and there is nothing to make up for those loses.

I don't know, maybe I'm turning into an old grump but I feel like there has been a steady decline in the quality of the dining and live in-park entertainment while the prices continue to climb. It doesn't help that as an older grump I have zero interest in either Avatar or Star Wars. Never saw Avatar, saw the first Star Wars film far too many times because, waaay back in 1977, every guy I went out with considered it the ideal date night activity. I do enjoy all things Frozen :)

I bailed on the TIW card when it went from $75 to $100 several years ago. I usually go to WDW solo, so I broke even only because my TIW membership subsidized the discount for friends I dined with. It also encouraged me to spend even more by dining at table service restaurants rather than counter service eateries.

I have cut back on WDW trips for various reasons, and I no longer have an annual pass. However, if I did have an AP - I certainly wouldn't pay $150 for the TIW card.

As a family of 3 with one son (2 years old) and non Florida residents, we use the DVC for about 2 vacations a year. Tables in Wonderland made sense at $100 because in 2 trips we would spend more than $500. I think we average about $400 per vacation. When we spent $800. it was very worth it. Now the $800 would only save us $10. So for that its really not worth it to pre pay and get the card anymore. When I was saving $60 it was. I know in the end those seem like small savings but for $10 I am fine without it. Plus, and I would have to look again to see, can't I save 10% on many restaurants using DVC or annual pass?

I'm well aware of how it works, thanks. Paying $150 on top of the AP price hikes for TIW discounts is pushing it for myself & many others. I never said anything about tips, taxes & what you have to spend to make TIW worth it. So I don't get why you are directing your reply to me.

What I directed to you was the pdf showing you where you can use the ap discount. Didn't sound like you knew the exact info for that. And I said it was for you just in case you didn't know, and for others if you did.

The rest of it was separated by many lines and was directed in general at all the people using $750 as the mark.

I've been an AP holder for a couple of years, I go twice a year for 4 or 5 night trips, sometimes solo sometimes with DS so the AP worked out financially for me. Last May, DS, DIL and myself went for 5 nights and the TIW more than paid for itself in just that trip (we like an appy and a drink or two with our meals) we don't do TS meals every meal but with 3 adults it didn't take but 2 or 3 to add up for the discount to kick in, especially since we also like to sit down and have a cocktail every now and again. I don't think I'll renew the TIW since DS and DIL are no longer together, DS will only be able to make one trip per year, at best and going solo I certainly don't spend that much on food or drinks. I'm even on the fence about renewing my AP when it expires, which won't be until mid-Sept. next year so have a while to do the math and think about it.

For calculations, the tip is on the undiscounted price but the taxes are on the discounted price. So even right now it's not a straight "spend $500 to start getting the discount" thing. Because the taxes lower that, it's in the high 400s, but not quite to 500. So it wouldn't be quite 750 to hit the discount mark.
Good point!

So, the real break even point is the amount you have to spend so that the discount + the tax on the discount equals $150.

.2x + .065(.2x) = $150
.2x + .0.013x = $150
.213x = $150
x = $150/.213
x = $704.23

BREAK EVEN including saved taxes = $704.23. It's STILL more than I would spend on WDW TS restaurants, but less than $750.

Good point!

So, the real break even point is the amount you have to spend so that the discount + the tax on the discount equals $150.

.2x + .065(.2x) = $150
.2x + .0.013x = $150
.213x = $150
x = $150/.213
x = $704.23

BREAK EVEN including saved taxes = $704.23. It's STILL more than I would spend on WDW TS restaurants, but less than $750.
Simpler math:
$750/1.065 = $704.23
(after tax break-even) / (tax rate) = (pre-tax break even)

What I directed to you was the pdf showing you where you can use the ap discount. Didn't sound like you knew the exact info for that. And I said it was for you just in case you didn't know, and for others if you did.

The rest of it was separated by many lines and was directed in general at all the people using $750 as the mark.
I've had an AP for many, many years and have been a DVC member going on 20 Years now and was a DDE/TIW member for a long time so I am well aware of what the discounts are for each. Just because I have a much lower post count than yours doesn't mean lack of knowledge on my part. Lunch time discounts @ TS don't work most times for my touring style which is all that is offered for the places I would normally choose to eat with the DVC & AP discounts. I don't like any type of Asian cuisine and don't like the Biergarten experience so unless I go to a few select resort area restaurants there aren't many choices for me for dining discounts @ dinner time without TIW. I'm not going to eat at a place I don't like just to get a discount and I prefer not to take time out of my park days to go elsewhere for a meal as for me I find it's a waste of my valuable park time. I also can not physically eat large meals and/or certain types of food later in the evening so the out of park options would require me to leave a park much earlier than I want. I'm not going to stop eating at the places I want to just because I don't have TIW anymore but it will definitely impact how many TS I eat at on each visit. I will be making more use of my DRVC dining discounts as well as DVC & AP in the future but will definitely be skipping alcoholic drinks with my meals from now on. I'll also be looking into booking late lunch times at some places where I know I can use my various discounts. It was just way easier in the past to rely on TIW to get the best discount at the most places I choose to dine at. I also don't care for most of the DTD options either and rarely eat a meal while there, when I do it's usually QS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter