Ship vs Boat

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by kistner5, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpenta

carpenta DIS Veteran

..maybe on the USS Reagan but on a family centric fun excursion "boat" it would have been a better decision to smile and walk bye IMO. There is no need to humiliate any "guest" just because you "know" the correct terms and a land lubber does not. Look at all these years the poor poster still tells this story and I would infer had an impact on her cruise. Pick your battles is what I would say and boat vs. ship would not be one I would have chosen in this case.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

Yes, it sticks out like a sore thumb when I see the ships referred to as boats. I also cringe when I hear Cay pronounced "kay" instead of "key".

BTW, Disney didn't own the Big Red Boat. That was owned by Premier Cruise Line.

4. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

I said Merchant Ships.......the USS Reagan is a aircraft carrier, please make note for future reference or of course you can keep mistating this and be wrong...your decision!.....The Poster did not say humiliated or rude.....that is your overlay. It would not have been better to smile and walk by for all the reasons I stated and you chose not to understand or even consider.

Just for the record......she only said 1st cruise. They never mentioned it was a long time ago and only brougth it up since it was part of the decussion..........agian your overlay.

I disagree on battles.........this was indeed a reason to educate the OP, IMO.

AKK

5. Tonka's Skipper

OK....now I need a education...........its correct..........*key*?????:confused3

Thanks:thumbsup2...I to have often heard it to be said both ways and wondered what is correct.

AKK

6. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

Okay thanks, that gives me an answer to my question.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

7. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

:)

cay/keɪ, ki/ Show Spelled [key, kee]

noun
    a small low island; key.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
    1700–10; < Spanish cayo; see key2

Found at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cay.

8. truck1

truck1 Growing older but not up.

The term Big Red Boat, was used as a name, not the type of vessel.

Depending on who you ask, theres any number of definitons of ship vs boat. heres just a couple:

A boat is something a ship carries.
    Boats typically are designed for the most part to stay within a given distance of shore for varying reasons.

Ships typically are larger and are trans ocean capable.
    Ive also seen people use size or tonnage to differentiate the 2.

9. MousseauMob

MousseauMob DIS Veteran

It's been the going joke in our house since we were on board and heard the comedian make jokes about how the Cruise Director (I think it was Brent) corrected him "It's a ship not a boat" - accent and all! So we say this a LOT with our terrible imitation of his lovely accent. :rotfl2:

10. carpenta

carpenta DIS Veteran

IMO anyone who has to take the time to correct a "land lubber" who is on vacation and not very familar with nautical terms is either arrogant or insecure in their position. I would vote the later.::yes:: Like I have stated it would have been better to state " I'm glad you are enjoying the cruise" and left it at that. As Shakesphere had written " A rose by any other name....." Happy sailings on your boat!......

11. anniemck

anniemck DIS Veteran

MAJOR pet peeve of mine... Ships are where you want to be, boats are the things that hang off the side of the ship normally blocking the view from some balcony staterooms, where you really do not want to find yourself when you are supposed to be on the SHIP.

12. Tonka's Skipper

IMO anyone who doesn't want to be informed when they are wrong and learn something new every day, is to full of themselves and to insecure with their own knowledge.

Actual that is what I sail in now, a 1954 chris craft......BOAT.

AKK

AKK

13. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

I couldn't agree with you more. :D

14. insureman

insureman Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

My ship, USS Concord AFS-5. If you youtube it you can see a Canadian Sub (boat) sinking her last summer in RIMPAC exercises. Hopefully you weren't on board the Stark in 87'.

15. phinz

phinz 12 Volt Man

My brother is a current Boomer, but on the left coast. USS Kentucky currently. Prior was USS Nebraska and USS Alabama. He has a little more than 6 years left.

16. EPCOTatNight

EPCOTatNight I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original D

:thumbsup2

17. MillauFr

MillauFr Buzz & Woody

I'm sure you will survive if someone calls the ship a boat. Now the kids I saw yesterday at Children's Hospital in the onocology ward... They may not.

18. EPCOTatNight

EPCOTatNight I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original D

:confused3

19. insureman

insureman Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Weird and rude.

20. PizzieDuster

PizzieDuster DIS Veteran

Tonyas Skipper, is it called portside because that's how you enter the SHIP upon embarkation and does it stay that side the entire cruise? Or does it depends on docking. Then what's the other side called?

21. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

My confusion was because so many people talk about when Disney had the Big Red Boat and to my knowledge, Premier owned that, not Disney. Since we went on that ship, I was curious.

As to 3 pages of threads arguing over the difference between a ship and a boat....
    A. I think most people understand the difference, it's fairly obvious
    And
    B. I could care less what someone calls it....so I will bow out of the thread. I was just curious about the Big Red Boat comment

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.