Ship vs Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was in no way a jerk.......he was a Maritime Officer and he was totally correct.........a boat is something that can be carried on a ship (although with todays many types of floating craft and thier uses, its not near as black and white as it use to be.)

There is a specail love affair between a sailors and thier craft/ships boats, etc...and using correct terms does nothing more then aid a passinger to understand and enjoy their trip.

Now if your going to use the wrong terms even if you know the right ones..........thats pretty silly IMO.

PS... If he had just smiled.the smile and joke would have been on the person using the wrong terms........personally I would much rather be advised I was wrong, then be walking around continuing to make the same mistake and proving to everyone I was not educated about the vessel (or anything else I was on or using) I was onboard.

PSS just because your paying a a fare.........doesnt means you are a know it all and look smart proving your not know it all.

AKK

..maybe on the USS Reagan but on a family centric fun excursion "boat" it would have been a better decision to smile and walk bye IMO. There is no need to humiliate any "guest" just because you "know" the correct terms and a land lubber does not. Look at all these years the poor poster still tells this story and I would infer had an impact on her cruise. Pick your battles is what I would say and boat vs. ship would not be one I would have chosen in this case.

Yes, it sticks out like a sore thumb when I see the ships referred to as boats. I also cringe when I hear Cay pronounced "kay" instead of "key".

BTW, Disney didn't own the Big Red Boat. That was owned by Premier Cruise Line.

..maybe on the USS Reagan but on a family centric fun excursion "boat" it would have been a better decision to smile and walk bye IMO. There is no need to humiliate any "guest" just because you "know" the correct terms and a land lubber does not. Look at all these years the poor poster still tells this story and I would infer had an impact on her cruise. Pick your battles is what I would say and boat vs. ship would not be one I would have chosen in this case.

I said Merchant Ships.......the USS Reagan is a aircraft carrier, please make note for future reference or of course you can keep mistating this and be wrong...your decision!.....The Poster did not say humiliated or rude.....that is your overlay. It would not have been better to smile and walk by for all the reasons I stated and you chose not to understand or even consider.

Just for the record......she only said 1st cruise. They never mentioned it was a long time ago and only brougth it up since it was part of the decussion..........agian your overlay.

I disagree on battles.........this was indeed a reason to educate the OP, IMO.

AKK

Yes, it sticks out like a sore thumb when I see the ships referred to as boats. I also cringe when I hear Cay pronounced "kay" instead of "key".

OK....now I need a education...........its correct..........*key*?????:confused3

Thanks:thumbsup2...I to have often heard it to be said both ways and wondered what is correct.

AKK

lbgraves said:

Okay thanks, that gives me an answer to my question.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

OK....now I need a education...........its correct..........*key*?????:confused3

Thanks:thumbsup2...I to have often heard it to be said both ways and wondered what is correct.

AKK

:)

cay/keɪ, ki/ Show Spelled [key, kee]

noun
a small low island; key.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1700–10; < Spanish cayo; see key2

Found at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cay.

Someone explain this to me because it always confuses me. My hubby and I spent our honeymoon on Premiers Big Red Boat the year Disney launched the Magic. So how could Disney have a Big Red Boat?

The term Big Red Boat, was used as a name, not the type of vessel.

Depending on who you ask, theres any number of definitons of ship vs boat. heres just a couple:

A boat is something a ship carries.
Boats typically are designed for the most part to stay within a given distance of shore for varying reasons.

Ships typically are larger and are trans ocean capable.
Ive also seen people use size or tonnage to differentiate the 2.

It's been the going joke in our house since we were on board and heard the comedian make jokes about how the Cruise Director (I think it was Brent) corrected him "It's a ship not a boat" - accent and all! So we say this a LOT with our terrible imitation of his lovely accent. :rotfl2:

I said Merchant Ships.......the USS Reagan is a aircraft carrier, please make note for future reference or of course you can keep mistating this and be wrong...your decision!.....The Poster did not say humiliated or rude.....that is your overlay. It would not have been better to smile and walk by for all the reasons I stated and you chose not to understand or even consider.

Just for the record......she only said 1st cruise. They never mentioned it was a long time ago and only brougth it up since it was part of the decussion..........agian your overlay.

I disagree on battles.........this was indeed a reason to educate the OP, IMO.

AKK

IMO anyone who has to take the time to correct a "land lubber" who is on vacation and not very familar with nautical terms is either arrogant or insecure in their position. I would vote the later.::yes:: Like I have stated it would have been better to state " I'm glad you are enjoying the cruise" and left it at that. As Shakesphere had written " A rose by any other name....." Happy sailings on your boat!......

Why oh why does it bother me so much when people refer to ships as "boats"...anyone else with me on this? :confused3

MAJOR pet peeve of mine... Ships are where you want to be, boats are the things that hang off the side of the ship normally blocking the view from some balcony staterooms, where you really do not want to find yourself when you are supposed to be on the SHIP.

IMO anyone who has to take the time to correct a "land lubber" who is on vacation and not very familar with nautical terms is either arrogant or insecure in their position. I would vote the later.::yes:: Like I have stated it would have been better to state " I'm glad you are enjoying the cruise" and left it at that. As Shakesphere had written " A rose by any other name....." Happy sailings on your boat!......

IMO anyone who doesn't want to be informed when they are wrong and learn something new every day, is to full of themselves and to insecure with their own knowledge.

Actual that is what I sail in now, a 1954 chris craft......BOAT.

AKK

AKK

Tonka's Skipper said:
IMO anyone who doesn't want to be informed when they are wrong and learn something new every day, is to full of themselves and to insecure with their own knowledge.

I couldn't agree with you more. :D

Now who in their right mind sails on a ship that intentionally sinks? ;)

I spent my time on USS Stark FFG-31

My ship, USS Concord AFS-5. If you youtube it you can see a Canadian Sub (boat) sinking her last summer in RIMPAC exercises. Hopefully you weren't on board the Stark in 87'.

I've gone on 8 cruises on boats:
- USS Daniel Webster, SSBN 626
- USS George Washington Carver, SSBN 656. pirate:

My brother is a current Boomer, but on the left coast. USS Kentucky currently. Prior was USS Nebraska and USS Alabama. He has a little more than 6 years left.

Actual that is what I sail in now, a 1954 chris craft......BOAT.

AKK

AKK

:thumbsup2

MAJOR pet peeve of mine... Ships are where you want to be, boats are the things that hang off the side of the ship normally blocking the view from some balcony staterooms, where you really do not want to find yourself when you are supposed to be on the SHIP.

I'm sure you will survive if someone calls the ship a boat. Now the kids I saw yesterday at Children's Hospital in the onocology ward... They may not.

...and I'm sure you can tell me all about that boat......even if I don't inquire. I find many on the lake up here who have to over compensate in their toys to overcome something in their lives.;)

Weird and rude.

Tonyas Skipper, is it called portside because that's how you enter the SHIP upon embarkation and does it stay that side the entire cruise? Or does it depends on docking. Then what's the other side called?

truck1 said:
The term Big Red Boat, was used as a name, not the type of vessel.

Depending on who you ask, theres any number of definitons of ship vs boat. heres just a couple:

A boat is something a ship carries.
Boats typically are designed for the most part to stay within a given distance of shore for varying reasons.

Ships typically are larger and are trans ocean capable.
Ive also seen people use size or tonnage to differentiate the 2.

My confusion was because so many people talk about when Disney had the Big Red Boat and to my knowledge, Premier owned that, not Disney. Since we went on that ship, I was curious.

As to 3 pages of threads arguing over the difference between a ship and a boat....
A. I think most people understand the difference, it's fairly obvious
And
B. I could care less what someone calls it....so I will bow out of the thread. I was just curious about the Big Red Boat comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter