Ship vs Boat

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by kistner5, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peabody58

peabody58 I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!

I've gone on 8 cruises on boats:
    - USS Daniel Webster, SSBN 626
    - USS George Washington Carver, SSBN 656. pirate:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. carpenta

carpenta DIS Veteran

THANK YOU FOR YOUR Service.:)

4. truck1

truck1 Growing older but not up.

I notice it, but Im 50/50 about it bothering me.

In some instances, people are going to call the same object different things. For me, I agree with one of the above posters, in that the crews take pride in their vessels and it shows. They use nautical terminology for the most part onboard(ie, deck 1 foward or port side etc. Not the front of the first floor or left side.) so calling her a ship is not that hard for me.

5. PizzieDuster

PizzieDuster DIS Veteran

Palos.

I'll run away now...... hit and run....:duck:

6. tinkerone

tinkerone DIS Veteran

on my first cruise, during cc day, we happened to be walking by while they had captain jack out for pictures. not going to pass that up! so when it was my turn captain jack told the photographer to hold up a minute. he looked at me and asked what I was going to do once the picture was done. I said I was going to walk down the beach one more time and then head back to the boat.
    wrong response! he said, in his captain jack accent, and I quote, ''first of all, its a ship...'' I started to laugh and could not stop. he looked so stern and a stern captain jack is a thing dreams are made of. :rotfl:
    I now always call it a ship.....thanks for the lesson captain.

7. Zippercat

Zippercat Mouseketeer

The Love Ship?

[​IMG]

8. MillauFr

MillauFr Buzz & Woody

If you ranked all of the things that bothered you would this really even make the top 100???

9. Ssamara28

Ssamara28 Mouseketeer

Yes it bothers me. Yes it makes my top 100. Point well taken with the Love Ship. That picture put a smile on my face. I called it a boat for 36 years until a DIS member politely corrected me. They told me a boat is something a ship carries. I respectfully agree to disagree that the customer is always right. The crew member was being informative. Now I call her a Ship.

10. Toddymae

Toddymae Earning My Ears, again and again

Son spent 20 years in the US Navy - boy you'd better know the difference between a ship and a boat. And by the way - submarines in the Navy are called 'boats'. Navy Mom :rotfl2:

11. MillauFr

MillauFr Buzz & Woody

Ship, boat???? First world problem.

12. PizzieDuster

PizzieDuster DIS Veteran

Nope, just people having good fun discussing a topic. No harm done to the first world problems. :thumbsup2 Unless we start talking about chair hogs.

13. MillauFr

MillauFr Buzz & Woody

Chair hogs. Now I'm with you there. :)

14. EPCOTatNight

EPCOTatNight I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original D

Now, that is a cringe worthy statement. The "paying his salary" statement always sounds like an excuse to treat people like slaves.

15. DarthTod

DarthTod Mouseketeer

Now who in their right mind sails on a ship that intentionally sinks? ;)

I spent my time on USS Stark FFG-31

16. PizzieDuster

PizzieDuster DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

17. Disney Dreams

Disney Dreams Proudly afflicted with TDMA!

THANK YOU!!!

- Dreams

18. safeti01

safeti01 Mouseketeer

I do remember when Disney first started the called it "The Big Red Boat." Who cares if it call a boat or ship. My DW corrects me all the all the time. I will still call them "boat."

19. Bonniec

Bonniec DIS Veteran

Someone explain this to me because it always confuses me. My hubby and I spent our honeymoon on Premiers Big Red Boat the year Disney launched the Magic. So how could Disney have a Big Red Boat?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

20. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

He was in no way a jerk.......he was a Maritime Officer and he was totally correct.........a boat is something that can be carried on a ship (although with todays many types of floating craft and thier uses, its not near as black and white as it use to be.)

There is a specail love affair between a sailors and thier craft/ships boats, etc...and using correct terms does nothing more then aid a passinger to understand and enjoy their trip.

Now if your going to use the wrong terms even if you know the right ones..........thats pretty silly IMO.

PS... If he had just smiled.the smile and joke would have been on the person using the wrong terms........personally I would much rather be advised I was wrong, then be walking around continuing to make the same mistake and proving to everyone I was not educated about the vessel (or anything else I was on or using) I was onboard.

PSS just because your paying a a fare.........doesnt means you are a know it all and look smart proving your not a know it all.

AKK

21. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.