• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Shannon and Tim ~ DISboards brought us together ~ Swan Wedding 9-21-12 ~ update 6/30

Shannon84

DIS Veteran

Hey everyone!! I have been on the boards for a while...I started by asking basic questions on vacation planning, then reading trip reports, creating my own trip reports (working on one currently from our October 2011 trip link in my signature). I also used the boards as support to run my first half marathon last year in Disney World and currently using it as I am training for the Disney World marathon one month from now. Why am I listing this all out? Because the boards have always been a great place for me to come and talk to people who share the same interests and are fun to talk to!

Its also the place I met my fiance...I saw the singles thread on the adults and solo travelers section one day and just randomly looked through to see what people were posting. I saw that he lived in VA as well and sent him a message. By that weekend we had set up our first date...2 months later we were planning our first big vacation together a trip to Disney :goodvibes One month after that we started living together. Unknown to me a couple months after that Tim bought the engagement ring and planned a Disney proposal

Photo0017FiveBySeven.jpg

We are getting married on 9-21-12 at 10 a.m. at the Swan and Dolphin Resort...yes thats a Friday morning!

Ill talk more about the proposal and wedding plans later on, but to introduce us:

Shannon - 27 years old...Financial Investigator for the state of VA Attorney Generals office....my favorite ride at Disney is Haunted Mansion...my favorite princess is Belle

Tim - 26 years old...Child Protective Services worker in VA...his favorite ride changes every other day but Haunted Mansion is around the top of his list as well...favorite Disney movie is Aladdin

HOORAY SHANNON!:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Ok sorry I got really excited when I saw this and I get to be the first to comment.

-Ok so first hooray on starting your PJ
-Not fair you are getting married before me...J/K
-I am so glad you are a disboard couple too. Greg and I are proud of how we met and I am so glad that we can share that very special bond. You know how it is. Now our story is slightly different because only I was on the singles thread but we met in the adults/solos board! He put up a post about going solo and so did I. So I am so super glad you are like us and then you guys also got engaged quick and are getting married kind of like us
-Where did you get the mike and sully shirts I love them

ok enough for now but still HOORAY

Teresa

Oh my goodness, you two are adorable! Congrats on the engagement and I can't wait to read more of your plans :)

Shannon sweetie - Congratulations and welcome to our ever growing band of S/D brides!!! Can't wait to read all about your plans!!

HOORAY SHANNON!:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Ok sorry I got really excited when I saw this and I get to be the first to comment.

-Ok so first hooray on starting your PJ
-Not fair you are getting married before me...J/K
-I am so glad you are a disboard couple too. Greg and I are proud of how we met and I am so glad that we can share that very special bond. You know how it is. Now our story is slightly different because only I was on the singles thread but we met in the adults/solos board! He put up a post about going solo and so did I. So I am so super glad you are like us and then you guys also got engaged quick and are getting married kind of like us
-Where did you get the mike and sully shirts I love them

ok enough for now but still HOORAY

Teresa

:cool1::banana::cool1: Your response made me SO excited that I decided to write a PJ!! It was a great first response to read!!

I know you said not fair Im getting married first...but I have to say not fair you are getting married around Christmas time, I am jealous and Tim would be too that we are not going around that time!!

We got the Mike and Sulley shirts from a store called Hot Topic...Tim actually found them I was SO excited and the response we got was awesome. I guess you can find the Mike one at DHS, but not Sulley so it was cool we had both :goodvibes

I was so excited when I saw your story about you and Greg meeting on the boards, it was before you and I had actually ever talked on here or facebook. I told Tim all about it as soon as I read it, because I was so excited I found another DISboards couple and its a great special bond to share! :goodvibes It has been hard describing how we met to people who don't know disboards and who think its a little different, but I LOVE that its so different :cutie:

I love getting engaged and getting married in sort of a quick fashion, mainly because "when you know, you know" and because I have wasted time in failed relationships, I am glad to start my life right off the bat with Tim :goodvibes

Congratulations Shannon!! I love your story!!

Thank you so much :goodvibes

Your post made me smile (which I desperately needed to do today).

Congratulations!!! :goodvibes

Aww thank you so much, that makes me happy :goodvibes

Yay yay yay!!!!! :yay: So glad you are starting a PJ!!!!!!

:cool1: I LOVE the excitement!!! And thank you for reading along with my reports :goodvibes

Congrats Shannon! Welcome to another Swan bride!

Thank you very much :goodvibes

Welcome :wave2: i need more details! popcorn::

Thank you!! I promise I will give you all the details :goodvibes

Just found your PJ! Can't wait to hear about your plans!

I'm glad to have suckered you into reading this and my TR :rotfl:

Oh my goodness, you two are adorable! Congrats on the engagement and I can't wait to read more of your plans :)

Awww shucks :cutie: Thank you!!

Congrats and welcome!! You have me wanting to check out the singles boards for my bro- my whole family are disney lovers and would love him to find a girl that is too! Love the success stories! :goodvibes
Can't wait to read more of your plans!!

I guess before I get into all the details of our wedding planning and such I am going to force you to listen to the proposal story :rotfl:

First of all before we met, the reason Tim found the singles threads on here was thanks to the DISUnplugged podcast mentioning them :goodvibes Well when they were having their 5th anniversary show back at the end of July Tim had sent them an email saying this (I just copied part of the email) and they read this during their podcast (which he played for me later after the proposal - he made sure I never heard it before that time :goodvibes)

They had asked for listeners to email their favorite podcast moment over the last 5 years:

"my favorite moment was the 9/9/2010 DisBoards show. In this show, Pete brought up the Dis Singles thread. I usually stuck pretty close to the Dis Unplugged & Theme Parks boards, but Pete mentioned the Singles thread and talked about how the women out number the men. As a single male Disney fan, I thought "What do I have to lose?". I posted a profile that week and didn't expect much to happen. 4 months later, shortly after the Podcast Cruise, I got a private message that changed my life. On Monday, February 7th, I began talking to another board member, by Wednesday, I had a date planned for Saturday, and by Sunday, I had fallen in love. And now, nearly 6 months later, we are planning a trip to Disney World in October where I plan on asking her to be my wife. Today, I want to wish all of you happy 5 years and thank you for being my friends and introducing me to my best friend."

It was very sweet to hear that and to have it recorded :goodvibes We actually got to meet Pete (the host of the podcast) not too long ago at a DISmeet here in VA and he was so sweet...he had remembered our story and seemed so happy for us! :goodvibes

Ok so anyway...I promised a proposal story!!

We were eating dinner at the Poly at 'Ohana on a thursday evening (this was about 5 days into our 8 day trip at WDW) We finished a wonderful meal, grabbed a drink and made our way down to the Poly beach to try and catch Wishes that evening. We found a nice swing to ourselves and a great view straight across from the castle.

SAM_0661.jpg

We sat down and Tim had asked me what my favorite moment of the trip had been so far. I went on and on about the Halloween party, and other moments. I finally took a breath and I asked him what his favorite moment had been. He said to me "right now" and he got down on one knee in the sand and pulled out a beautiful ring!! (I still can't seem to get a good pic of it, my camera isnt the best)

2011-10-21_08-17-04_960.jpg

He said my full name and then asked me if I would marry him...it was sooo sweet :goodvibes I knew the proposal was coming sometime within the next few months or so because we had looked at rings that summer and well he had hinted to it. But I was convinced it would happen around Christmas time...so I was very surprised!!! He had that moment planned since July :goodvibes I am not sure if I said yes or not, but I grabbed the ring, cried, and was so excited!! We called our parents and then we enjoyed the water pagent and Wishes! It was such a wonderful evening.

SAM_0665.jpg

After the fireworks we headed back to POP! for the night. When I opened the door to our room I was again shocked:

SAM_0672.jpg

SAM_0678.jpg

SAM_0680.jpg

SAM_0685.jpg

2011-10-23_09-49-04_892.jpg

It was just a great day, such a great surprise!!

Ok sorry for rambling on and on...I promise next up will be starting talk about the wedding, I was just so excited and wanted to share...I havent shared these details on my trip report yet, so if you are reading that too - sorry you get a preview of what is to come :rotfl: Ill talk about it in the my other report when it gets to that day in the trip.

Congrats and welcome!! You have me wanting to check out the singles boards for my bro- my whole family are disney lovers and would love him to find a girl that is too! Love the success stories! :goodvibes
Can't wait to read more of your plans!!

Thank you :goodvibes You should check it out for him!! He might have good luck finding someone on there as well, that would be awesome :goodvibes It is SO nice to have someone who also grew up Disney and loves it, we have a lot of fun together!!

What a sweet story! I can't wait to read more. Our little group of swan brides is growing quickly!

What a sweet story! I can't wait to read more. Our little group of swan brides is growing quickly!
I LOVE it! :thumbsup2

Anyways...

I think it's awesome you two met on the singles thread! That's great!

Okay, Tim's podcast moment is too sweet. :love:

I love love love how he proposed! Sounds like you have a keeper on your hands, girl! Your ring is gorgeous and I love the surprise at POP!

Can't wait to hear more about the wedding! :hug:

Awwwww I love your story! I love that you met on the boards, and I love your proposal and the in-room celebration! :love: I can't wait to hear more!

I guess before I get into all the details of our wedding planning and such I am going to force you to listen to the proposal story :rotfl:

First of all before we met, the reason Tim found the singles threads on here was thanks to the DISUnplugged podcast mentioning them :goodvibes Well when they were having their 5th anniversary show back at the end of July Tim had sent them an email saying this (I just copied part of the email) and they read this during their podcast (which he played for me later after the proposal - he made sure I never heard it before that time :goodvibes)

They had asked for listeners to email their favorite podcast moment over the last 5 years:

"my favorite moment was the 9/9/2010 DisBoards show. In this show, Pete brought up the Dis Singles thread. I usually stuck pretty close to the Dis Unplugged & Theme Parks boards, but Pete mentioned the Singles thread and talked about how the women out number the men. As a single male Disney fan, I thought "What do I have to lose?". I posted a profile that week and didn't expect much to happen. 4 months later, shortly after the Podcast Cruise, I got a private message that changed my life. On Monday, February 7th, I began talking to another board member, by Wednesday, I had a date planned for Saturday, and by Sunday, I had fallen in love. And now, nearly 6 months later, we are planning a trip to Disney World in October where I plan on asking her to be my wife. Today, I want to wish all of you happy 5 years and thank you for being my friends and introducing me to my best friend."

It was very sweet to hear that and to have it recorded :goodvibes We actually got to meet Pete (the host of the podcast) not too long ago at a DISmeet here in VA and he was so sweet...he had remembered our story and seemed so happy for us! :goodvibes

Ok so anyway...I promised a proposal story!!

We were eating dinner at the Poly at 'Ohana on a thursday evening (this was about 5 days into our 8 day trip at WDW) We finished a wonderful meal, grabbed a drink and made our way down to the Poly beach to try and catch Wishes that evening. We found a nice swing to ourselves and a great view straight across from the castle.

SAM_0661.jpg

We sat down and Tim had asked me what my favorite moment of the trip had been so far. I went on and on about the Halloween party, and other moments. I finally took a breath and I asked him what his favorite moment had been. He said to me "right now" and he got down on one knee in the sand and pulled out a beautiful ring!! (I still can't seem to get a good pic of it, my camera isnt the best)

2011-10-21_08-17-04_960.jpg

He said my full name and then asked me if I would marry him...it was sooo sweet :goodvibes I knew the proposal was coming sometime within the next few months or so because we had looked at rings that summer and well he had hinted to it. But I was convinced it would happen around Christmas time...so I was very surprised!!! He had that moment planned since July :goodvibes I am not sure if I said yes or not, but I grabbed the ring, cried, and was so excited!! We called our parents and then we enjoyed the water pagent and Wishes! It was such a wonderful evening.

SAM_0665.jpg

After the fireworks we headed back to POP! for the night. When I opened the door to our room I was again shocked:

SAM_0672.jpg

SAM_0678.jpg

SAM_0680.jpg

SAM_0685.jpg

2011-10-23_09-49-04_892.jpg

It was just a great day, such a great surprise!!

Ok sorry for rambling on and on...I promise next up will be starting talk about the wedding, I was just so excited and wanted to share...I havent shared these details on my trip report yet, so if you are reading that too - sorry you get a preview of what is to come :rotfl: Ill talk about it in the my other report when it gets to that day in the trip.

Holy moly awesomeness! Ok so did you get engaged this past october? What day? So some other strangeness in our connection! We were staying at the poly in october we watched wishes from the beach then left and went to the contemporary and got engaged. Now Greg did not plan it out the way Tim did because Greg said when he knew he was ready he would know and he knew that night at Wishes so he did not waste any time.

Hooray I am so excited right now!

Teresa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter