SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Thanks for the responses. We've decided to eat inside MK, so I'm not as worried about our arrival time now.

I do have another question: Are there towels at the pool, or do we need to bring our own?

We'll be down there tomorrow ... I can't wait!

Thanks for the responses. We've decided to eat inside MK, so I'm not as worried about our arrival time now.

I do have another question: Are there towels at the pool, or do we need to bring our own?

We'll be down there tomorrow ... I can't wait!

Towels are at the pool. :)

And it would seem that my January trip is not going to happen. I'm so bummed. Bummed. Bummed. Bummed. I've said a few swear words already.

:sad:

I love SOG. As you can see by my sig, I go at least once a year. Did I mention I love SOG?

So here's my rant. We went last week, arrived on 8/31 at a pretty early hour - 10am. I fully expected that we would have to wait until 3-4 for our room and I was cool with that. We checked in and made a request for the old section, adjoining rooms, preferably 201-203. We like the old section and this was our first trip without a stroller, so little legs =shorter walk if possible. My thought was, this was pretty early and hopefully they could accommodate. The front desk person seemed put out by the request(s) and asked me to prioritize. I told her I had to have adjoining since we had little ones in the second room. She told us to come back at 330.

We went to the pool, ordered some beer and pizza and had a great time. At 3 I started back toward the lobby and when I got there, the keys were waiting. New section, 5th floor, as far from the lobby as you can get. Different front desk worker, said he couldn't do anything as we needed adjoining rooms and there were NO adjoining rooms left in the entire Magnolia section of the hotel (say what!?) Not only do I find that hard to beleive in general, but I'm certain that wasn't the case at 10am when I checked in and was probably one of the first check ins of the day. But, I smiled nicely, said thanks for checking and proceeded to hike to Timbuktu to our rooms. We arrived and promptly noticed - no adjoining door!

I went back to the front desk in person and found our friends who were meeting us (totally separate check in) were having issues as well and once she cleared up her stuff (rate related) I co-opted the manager from her. The manager took one look at room inventory and gave me connecting rooms directly across the hall from 202-203 the rooms I originally requested. So it would seem that the first two front desk workers are liars. I don't mind not getting my room requests fullfilled, I'm not that entitled. But I REALLY mind being lied to.:mad:

It's really disappointing because I love this hotel and I think it's a great benefit for our community and normally, I feel that it's just as magical as the onsite hotels. But this really sours me toward the front desk staff. If you can accommodate people on their vacation and it's no skin off your nose, why would you begrudge them that, just to be a grump?

Anyway, the manager was great, really saved the day, and the rest of the vacation was awesome as ever. But the take home is, if you feel like you're not being listened to, requesting a manager is the way to go. Not my normal modus operandi, but it will be from now on.

I love SOG. As you can see by my sig, I go at least once a year. Did I mention I love SOG?

So here's my rant. We went last week, arrived on 8/31 at a pretty early hour - 10am. I fully expected that we would have to wait until 3-4 for our room and I was cool with that. We checked in and made a request for the old section, adjoining rooms, preferably 201-203. We like the old section and this was our first trip without a stroller, so little legs =shorter walk if possible. My thought was, this was pretty early and hopefully they could accommodate. The front desk person seemed put out by the request(s) and asked me to prioritize. I told her I had to have adjoining since we had little ones in the second room. She told us to come back at 330.

We went to the pool, ordered some beer and pizza and had a great time. At 3 I started back toward the lobby and when I got there, the keys were waiting. New section, 5th floor, as far from the lobby as you can get. Different front desk worker, said he couldn't do anything as we needed adjoining rooms and there were NO adjoining rooms left in the entire Magnolia section of the hotel (say what!?) Not only do I find that hard to beleive in general, but I'm certain that wasn't the case at 10am when I checked in and was probably one of the first check ins of the day. But, I smiled nicely, said thanks for checking and proceeded to hike to Timbuktu to our rooms. We arrived and promptly noticed - no adjoining door!

I went back to the front desk in person and found our friends who were meeting us (totally separate check in) were having issues as well and once she cleared up her stuff (rate related) I co-opted the manager from her. The manager took one look at room inventory and gave me connecting rooms directly across the hall from 202-203 the rooms I originally requested. So it would seem that the first two front desk workers are liars. I don't mind not getting my room requests fullfilled, I'm not that entitled. But I REALLY mind being lied to.:mad:

It's really disappointing because I love this hotel and I think it's a great benefit for our community and normally, I feel that it's just as magical as the onsite hotels. But this really sours me toward the front desk staff. If you can accommodate people on their vacation and it's no skin off your nose, why would you begrudge them that, just to be a grump?

Anyway, the manager was great, really saved the day, and the rest of the vacation was awesome as ever. But the take home is, if you feel like you're not being listened to, requesting a manager is the way to go. Not my normal modus operandi, but it will be from now on.

I think that probably you just got two people on a bad day. It happens, you know? But otherwise, I'm glad the manager was able to easily fix it for you.

We had some fairly bizarre customer service issues when we last stayed in May. My husband is the "sponsor" but I have an ID card and my 21 year old daughter also has an ID card. Because we never know what my husband's schedule is, (6 months to a year in advance), I booked 1 room in my name and 1 room in my daughter's name. Well it turned out my husband was able to be there for check in. They wouldn't let us check in to the room that was in my daughter's name.???? She got stuck at work ( at DHS) and couldn't get there until about 10PM. We went around and around with managers etc.None of it made any sense whatsoever. I 've always booked multiple rooms in HIS name and then checked in WITHOUT him. Come shift change at 3PM or whatever, we got a different front desk person who was absolutely perplexed as to why we were not be allowed to check into the 2nd room. I never wrote it up or documented it, because I didn't want anyone to get in trouble. After 12 years of dealing with TSA on a daily basis, my DH just says, "Different day, different procedure."

We are here! We are here!:banana:

All checked in at Shades (not 2102, but a pretty great room nonetheless) and getting ready to tuck myself in for the night. Rope drop at MK in the morning and MNSSHP tomorrow night! :cool1:

All checked in at Shades (not 2102, but a pretty great room nonetheless) and getting ready to tuck myself in for the night. Rope drop at MK in the morning and MNSSHP tomorrow night! :cool1:

Yay! You are the one who got me hooked on trip reports so I anxiously await this one!! Have a great time!

Like! Like! Like! :thumbsup2

Just ordered pizza from room service. It arrived quickly and hot. And it was actually pretty tasty. Go Shades! :thumbsup2

Just ordered pizza from room service. It arrived quickly and hot. And it was actually pretty tasty. Go Shades! :thumbsup2

ooh, THAT is a new one.

See, you're good, you could have ended up taking one for the team getting the normally 6 day old, cold pizza. Glad it was good.

We've never ordered the pizza but I always thought it was about the only thing that people agreed was good.

But.... why were you eating in your room with a whole "World" of options? :)

Has anyone eaten at Mangino's for the Prime Rib/Surf & Turf Monday night dinners this month? We are thinking of going on our arrival night, wanted to get some reviews.

We've never ordered the pizza but I always thought it was about the only thing that people agreed was good.

But.... why were you eating in your room with a whole "World" of options? :)

It was about 11:30 p.m. and we are old farts who turn in early. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter