SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

I always call for my ressies. Maybe I am just old, but I would rather talk to an actual person anyway. :confused3

This wasn't necessarily to make the reservations just to check if they had availability, which I was able to check through their Travel Agent reservation system. I'll always call to make the reservations though.

Love seeing the vintage SOG photos. Too bad there aren't more of them around from the Golf Resort/Disney Inn Days. I would love to see a side by side comparison at the same locations between the two.

Those old armoires are gone by now I thought. I thought that all the rooms were remodeled with new furniture around 2010/2011. Still though all the furniture from the Magnolia wing originated from the Disney Inn from the 80s until the remodel.

The Garden Gallery restaurant was originally where the East Meets West Gift shop and Rec Room are now. Where the ticket sales are now was once a lounge. The area where the Guest Services and Starbucks Cafe are in front of the bridge connects to the Magnolia Wing is where the main lobby was. A hallway continued from where the bridge to the drive way and porte cochere where AAFES was off to the side. Guests first entered this hallway to get to the resort. Now where the sloped hallway next to the Reception is where the new meets old.

Originally, before the golf clubhouse was turned into the Golf Resort, only the building where AAFES, East Meets West, and Ticket Sales are now composed the resort. Here was the clubhouse where there was a restaurant which then became the Garden Gallery and now the gift shop/rec room, a Pro Shop, in the general area of AAFES now, and a lobby where now is the Starbucks/area in front of the bridge. Below this was where they kept the golf carts.

Then since the Polynesian and Contemporary resorts were filled to capacity, Disney needed more rooms. Expanding the golf clubhouse would be an affordable and quick option. They built the bridge to today's Magnolia wing connecting the main lobby and restaurant to the rooms. However, the expansion really was only half of the current Magnolia Wing. Originally the rooms formed a "T" and the hotel ended where the sliding doors lead out to the pool and now where the game room/laundry room and Spa are now. The Magnolia Pool was also added during this time.

In the 80s though Disney wanted to give the resort an update and take away emphases off the golfing aspect of the resort. They gave it a light Snow White theme and positioned it as a quiet country retreat. The Millpond "Mickey" Pool was added and Evergreens. Also two wings were added to the original "T" from the Golf Resort giving the Magnolia Wing its current "U" shape, creating a courtyard around the pool. Also they changed the golf restaurant into the Garden Gallery. In the transformation to the Disney Inn, the rooms and hallways were exactly how SOG left them until the 2010/2011 remodel.

Not sure if its been already discussed but what are everyone's thoughts on the new lobby? https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151359830069265.498002.112743409264&type=1

I find it really ugly and definitely not as inviting as it was before. Does it still look like this or were these photos a work in progress? As a architect/interior designer it seems like they did not know what they were doing. The couches and that white circular bench do not match at all the architecture/design of the resort as a whole.

Not sure if its been already discussed but what are everyone's thoughts on the new lobby? https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151359830069265.498002.112743409264&type=1

I find it really ugly and definitely not as inviting as it was before. Does it still look like this or were these photos a work in progress? As a architect/interior designer it seems like they did not know what they were doing. The couches and that white circular bench do not match at all the architecture/design of the resort as a whole.

I hope it's a work in progress. Otherwise it looks like the furniture delivery guys just plopped it down and left. LOL. The white thing looks like a planter - maybe a tree in the middle? I don't quite get it.

Still, I'm glad to see changes hapepning. I only wish they would put in a food court with decent food and leave it open late enough for people to get a late night snack and a drink after the parks close.

The photos were a work in progress there are a lot more chairs and sofas for people to sit on now. They also have put plants in and has more a tropical design then a wood cabin. I think it's because they have put the new java cafe in to the side of the lobby at the entrance to the magnolia wing. From the photos they have posted of the new cafe think it and the lobby looks nice. Anyone know how late the java cafe is open as sells snacks and ice cream so would be nice to stop there on way back from the park.

Does anyone know if the great red white and blue Mickey statue is still in the lobby? My kids love it and I love getting a family picture with it each time we go. Hope it survived the renovation!

The statue was there last month, they weren't doing any renovations in that part of the lobby. :thumbsup2

The photos were a work in progress there are a lot more chairs and sofas for people to sit on now. They also have put plants in and has more a tropical design then a wood cabin. I think it's because they have put the new java cafe in to the side of the lobby at the entrance to the magnolia wing. From the photos they have posted of the new cafe think it and the lobby looks nice. Anyone know how late the java cafe is open as sells snacks and ice cream so would be nice to stop there on way back from the park.

They open at 6:00 a.m. and close at 10:00 p.m.

Hi everyone!
I know that there is a shuttle from Shades of Green that takes guests to Universal or Sea World for $10 round trip and that we must reserve it 24 hours in advance. I was wondering if anyone knows how early it leaves in the morning and what time they pick up to return? I'm guessing the hours are seasonal, so a ballpark time is fine :goodvibes

Thanks!

witchesbrew said:
Hi everyone!
I know that there is a shuttle from Shades of Green that takes guests to Universal or Sea World for $10 round trip and that we must reserve it 24 hours in advance. I was wondering if anyone knows how early it leaves in the morning and what time they pick up to return? I'm guessing the hours are seasonal, so a ballpark time is fine :goodvibes

Thanks!

We've used the service and I can tell you the return time is your choice. We were to call the contractor an hour before we wanted to leave and meet them at a designated location. When we used the service the company was Mears. There were more of us waiting then they could take so they put us in a cab back to Shades. The service makes multiple stops not just Shades. Being given a cab instead was just lucky for us because it was of course nonstop.

We've used the service and I can tell you the return time is your choice. We were to call the contractor an hour before we wanted to leave and meet them at a designated location. When we used the service the company was Mears. There were more of us waiting then they could take so they put us in a cab back to Shades. The service makes multiple stops not just Shades. Being given a cab instead was just lucky for us because it was of course nonstop.

I actually just emailed SoG and got his response about the Universal shuttle: Reservations for the transportation does have to be done in person for any guest staying here with us. The lastest you can make book it is the day prior of the day you wish to go. The shuttle leaves from here at 8:15am and picks up at Universal at 6:30pm

Ticket office hours are 8am - 7pm daily.
:scratchin

I actually just emailed SoG and got his response about the Universal shuttle: Reservations for the transportation does have to be done in person for any guest staying here with us. The lastest you can make book it is the day prior of the day you wish to go. The shuttle leaves from here at 8:15am and picks up at Universal at 6:30pm

Ticket office hours are 8am - 7pm daily.
:scratchin

The above was our Seaworld trip. The Universal trip was not memorable :)
You can't beat the price!

Does anyone happen to know if they take the Military Star Card anywhere in SoG? Not necessarily to pay for the room, but maybe at the Exchange, Shopette, etc? I'm just curious... thanks!

Does anyone happen to know if they take the Military Star Card anywhere in SoG? Not necessarily to pay for the room, but maybe at the Exchange, Shopette, etc? I'm just curious... thanks!

The AAFES store at SOG does take the Star card. That seems to be the only place though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter