• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Sad that they changed the free parking at the parks..:( Don't see any difference in SOG and any other resort.. wonder why they done this????:rolleyes2

I don't know. If I recall, it's been about 2 years or so. We generally don't have a car so I never really paid it any attention, but this last trip we did. In the end, we didn't take it to any parks, just DTD & Boardwalk and a few resorts.

Sad that they changed the free parking at the parks..:( Don't see any difference in SOG and any other resort.. wonder why they done this????:rolleyes2

They changed it a while ago. Disney decides this and they do not own SOG. This is not a decision by SOG.

We bring our car on the auto train and just park it at SOG. We take Disney and SOG transportation everywhere we need to go, so no biggie.

Ok, I tried reading through the pages of info here, and am not finding the answer to these couple things. The answers are probably here - I'm just having wayyy too much fun reading these threads and should be getting ready for work!

We are in WDW and staying at SOG for 10 days in July. Yeah!:cool1:

We've stayed at SOG several times before, so I mostly know what to expect, but am wondering:

1) Parking is still $6 a night, correct? My older daughter is meeting us there as she is working this summer in Savannah, GA. Will she be able to park at SOG? We will have our rental car. Is there a cheaper option? Her car will just be sitting doing nothing for the 10 days we are there. Would love to save the $60!

2) SOG guests can still do EMH, correct? Please, please say, "yes"! We love our extra-late nights in the parks!

3) Anyone use the spa services that can share how it compared to other places you've been? Thinking of treating my two daughters to a massage, but a little apprehensive about how worth it would be.

4) Do SOG guests have to pay to park their car in the Disney park lots? For awhile we didn't, then on one vaca we did.... just trying to plan ahead for those kinds of expenses.

Thank you!!! Can't wait to visit again!!!

:grouphug: denise

1) When we were there a year ago, it was $5 a night.
2) Yup. EMH is still a go for us. :cool1:
3) Never used the spa.
4) The only park you do not have to pay to park is the Magic Kingdom. Which is kinda silly since Shades is within walking distance to MK. But all other parks, yes, you do have to pay. I think it is either $16 or $20. I can't remember.

Hope this helps. Have a blast!! :dance3:

I don't know. If I recall, it's been about 2 years or so. We generally don't have a car so I never really paid it any attention, but this last trip we did. In the end, we didn't take it to any parks, just DTD & Boardwalk and a few resorts.

I remember in 2010 you had to pay for parking at the parks...but at that time you could get into the MK/TTC lot because it is the same drive you use to get to SOG. Do not know if they have closed that loop hole or not.

We went in 2011.. and stayed SOG.. I guess we never drove to any park. I know in the past we had and it wasn't a issue... Oh Well....:rolleyes: I guess we wont be driving to any parks in the future and parking.. Good ole Disney transportation...:woohoo:

So we have no idea on the spa LOL. I just never have time to get there, I don't want to waste time. Years ago when our family was there for 2 weeks (I think it was 2003 when we were housed at Contemporary) my mom and I did pedicures up in the contemporary's spa. It was just a pedicure. Nothing over the top great.

Does anyone remember the year they had mini massages out by the pool? I thought at that time wished they had mini foot spas out there too. I would have totally paid for a foot/leg massage after a day in the park.

Being a Shades of Green resort guest are we allowed on the disney buses to other resorts? I would love to visit the Boardwalk and AoA resorts and not sure how to get there. Thank you for the help!!! :)

Being a Shades of Green resort guest are we allowed on the disney buses to other resorts? I would love to visit the Boardwalk and AoA resorts and not sure how to get there. Thank you for the help!!! :)

Take the SOG bus to TTC or to one of the theme parks and get on the resort bus you want to visit.;)

You can ride the buses/WDW transportation anywhere they go. We like to visit a different resort everytime we're there. This trip we hope to check out Wilderness Lodge on our arrival day. We'll just walk to the Poly, jump on the monorail and catch the boat from MK to WL. We've visited all the monorail resorts and have been to FW, so this trip I'd like to try to see AK as well as WL. We use WDW transportation a lot more than we use SOG's.

We resort hop to look around too. Last time we were leaving AK and caught the Art of Animation bus to check it out. Then got on their bus to whatever park we were hopping. Year before we had a ressie at AK/Boma and just went to DTD and got on the AK bus. Getting there was easy, leaving was painful. A bus to DTD never came! Finally a bus pulled up that said TTC and we begged a ride back to TTC from him. What a nice guy!! One good thing about Shades buses... you know what time they show up.

We resort hop to look around too. Last time we were leaving AK and caught the Art of Animation bus to check it out. Then got on their bus to whatever park we were hopping. Year before we had a ressie at AK/Boma and just went to DTD and got on the AK bus. Getting there was easy, leaving was painful. A bus to DTD never came! Finally a bus pulled up that said TTC and we begged a ride back to TTC from him. What a nice guy!! One good thing about Shades buses... you know what time they show up.

Totally agree.

We enjoyed having our car this time for resort visiting. It was fun to see some of the places we've never been able to visit (or didn't want to spend the time waiting for buses....) Getting to boardwalk for dinner was so simple this time.

One thing we have learned though, buses from MK to resorts seem to be the easiest way if you're going to do it. But it still takes a trip to Poly or TTC, and a monorail or boat over to MK. But it's really the same for any resort guests, not just SOG guests; resort to resort trips are lengthy.

If it was a bus to the TTC, why did you have to "beg" a ride?

Because Disney TTC buses don't run to resorts. He was already off his route doing someone else a favor :)

Just wanted to let you all know that they have posted the pictures of the new Java Cafe/Ice cream parlor/ Bar on the Shades page on Facebook. It looks great and such an improvement.. Can't wait to see it in February.

Just wanted to let you all know that they have posted the pictures of the new Java Cafe/Ice cream parlor/ Bar on the Shades page on Facebook. It looks great and such an improvement.. Can't wait to see it in February.

I saw that. I'm glad they moved everything up next to the lobby area.

3) Anyone use the spa services that can share how it compared to other places you've been? Thinking of treating my two daughters to a massage, but a little apprehensive about how worth it it would be.

My DD and I used the spa on Mother's Day and half way thru our 14 day trip. My DD was okay with the first one but thrilled with the second spa, the first time she had a women, the second time she had Johnny, I used Johnny both times, I thought he was great. We had a Swedish message both times, after we where able to walk to parks for three days without any soreness in our feet and legs. With a 12 days in the park vacation we came home with no blisters, no sore feet and no leg problems, I would call it well worth the price, and almost did a third one but Johnny had to go to a graduation and was not arou d for a few days.

I am so glad I found this thread! We are 19 days out from our first WDW trip, and we're staying at SoG. We're only able to make the trip because of the pricing structure of SoG and the Armed Forces Salute special pricing 4-day park hoppers (hotel and tickets together are just under $1300!) Without them, there's no way we'd ever be able to afford this trip!

Thanks for all the pics and tips, everyone!!!!! :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter