SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

691b2f849632157ea5b0288c680cf7af_zpsd2f0a580.jpg

Shades of green is way overcharging! Understatement

Hi, I have read on several different sites and such that you tip the shady shuttle man $1 per person. I am just wondering where this comes from, any ettiquette on such a tip. It does not seem like much, but for a family of 5, going back and forth this could be $20 a day or more. I don't want to be cheap but for a free amenity it seems high, but I'm not into tipping a lot since we live in a state that the minimum wage is high and the service is not great, so I usually do 10 to 15% top. And I am not afraid of walking I usually always do, but this trip I am still not sure if guide dog will be with me, if not then the shuttle is more appealing, also 100% dav is really starting to show his age but is refusing a scooter so his cane and legs could take the break.

Also, I have read this whole thread finally, read the last one also, and I would like to know if anyone has ever told Disney how bad the food is. My understanding is that SOG has a contract and they have specific rules and policies they have to follow. If SoG is not willing to change the food options and they are not up to Disney standards than maybe they can, just a thought because it is my understanding they have to keep the property up to Disney standards.

That being said, I personally do not think the food is as bad as people make it out to be. I have been to many Disney restaurants that had cold eggs, undercook bacon and muffins that where raw inside. Not to say that this undercook meal cost more than $25/person compared to the under $12 /per person at SoG. I admit that I have more experience with dlr than wdw but I have been to wdw twice now in 5 years, going again in a few weeks and I do not find there food amazing, I do not feel there food is priced accurate, come on I have seen what you get for $60 at CRT, so what I got a free picture or 2 minutes with three princesses, the food was awful, had to do it once, been there done it and never again, the castle is just not worth it, but others feel they need to go every time. I myself don't think Disney would lose that much to actually feed you enough food to leave feeling full after spending more than $60 a meal, not to count the dress and BBB that cost over $200. It is money making and I will say everyone should do it once, but come on, really people complain about SoG food that is at least price affordable, even if not the best. I have eating the morning and evening buffets, I can say they are slow and nothing to write home about but I have had way worse food at Disney, and paid a lot more for it. Anyway just a thought for those who have a complaint and not been heard, maybe if SoG can not change it, if it is not up to Disney standards maybe they are going against their contract and will be forced to change it. But remember if you want change it may cost to change.

I have read this whole thread. Good stuff! I saw a few posts about the palm suite, but was looking for more info. Does anyone know where they are located in the resort( what room numbers) also I saw someone say if more than 6 Adults were in the room an extra charge was applied. Anyone know what that charge is? Lastly anyone who has stayed since April 1 st have pool renovation information!? Thanks in advance!

Ohh I am considering taking a whole family (parents and in laws) vaca in two years... I got excited a little too early eh? Anyway I am wondering if anyone has taking children around age 4 and if you felt it was a good age for them to go.

We have always paid $15 per adult per night for more than two adults. I recently made our reservations of December and it is still $15.

Shades of green is way overcharging! Understatement[/QUOTE]

Shades of Green doesn't charge for rental cars.
But here's a National Car Rental deal with a desk at SOG.

Your Car:
Fullsize
4-Door/Automatic/Air
Chevrolet Impala
or similar

Pickup:
Shades Of Green (ORLR12)
1950 Magnolia Palm
Lake Buena Vista , FL 32830-8418
US
Thursday, April 25, 2013
10:00 AM
Dropoff:
Orlando Intl Arpt (MCOT01)
1 Jeff Fuqua Boulevard
Orlando , FL 32827-4399
US
Monday, May 6, 2013
8:30 PM

Estimated Total = $316.11 USD

Hi, I have read on several different sites and such that you tip the shady shuttle man $1 per person. I am just wondering where this comes from, any ettiquette on such a tip. It does not seem like much, but for a family of 5, going back and forth this could be $20 a day or more. I don't want to be cheap but for a free amenity it seems high, but I'm not into tipping a lot since we live in a state that the minimum wage is high and the service is not great, so I usually do 10 to 15% top. And I am not afraid of walking I usually always do, but this trip I am still not sure if guide dog will be with me, if not then the shuttle is more appealing, also 100% dav is really starting to show his age but is refusing a scooter so his cane and legs could take the break.

Also, I have read this whole thread finally, read the last one also, and I would like to know if anyone has ever told Disney how bad the food is. My understanding is that SOG has a contract and they have specific rules and policies they have to follow. If SoG is not willing to change the food options and they are not up to Disney standards than maybe they can, just a thought because it is my understanding they have to keep the property up to Disney standards.

That being said, I personally do not think the food is as bad as people make it out to be. I have been to many Disney restaurants that had cold eggs, undercook bacon and muffins that where raw inside. Not to say that this undercook meal cost more than $25/person compared to the under $12 /per person at SoG. I admit that I have more experience with dlr than wdw but I have been to wdw twice now in 5 years, going again in a few weeks and I do not find there food amazing, I do not feel there food is priced accurate, come on I have seen what you get for $60 at CRT, so what I got a free picture or 2 minutes with three princesses, the food was awful, had to do it once, been there done it and never again, the castle is just not worth it, but others feel they need to go every time. I myself don't think Disney would lose that much to actually feed you enough food to leave feeling full after spending more than $60 a meal, not to count the dress and BBB that cost over $200. It is money making and I will say everyone should do it once, but come on, really people complain about SoG food that is at least price affordable, even if not the best. I have eating the morning and evening buffets, I can say they are slow and nothing to write home about but I have had way worse food at Disney, and paid a lot more for it. Anyway just a thought for those who have a complaint and not been heard, maybe if SoG can not change it, if it is not up to Disney standards maybe they are going against their contract and will be forced to change it. But remember if you want change it may cost to change.

I always get $2 bills at my bank for tipping. I use them for maid service and the shuttle driver. It doesn't take any more effort on his part to drive 2 or to drive 5 in a trip. If we share a shuttle with someone not in "our" group both groups tip. That doesn't happen often...but it does happen. I tip employees that handle the luggage $1 a bag...now that's work. ;)

SOG is owned by the DOD not Disney anymore...Disney has no say in the food they serve. However, I agree that "I have had way worse food at Disney". So even suggestions to SOG would be the pot calling the kettle black.:)

I personally have no problem with the SOG buffet breakfast...there is plenty of choice for everyone, and they have always done a good omelet for my DH. Dinner is OK but nothing to shout about. Like a lot of Disney food. ;)

But then, we don't go to Disney for the food. It it just something we have to do while we are there. :goodvibes

I always get $2 bills at my bank for tipping. I use them for maid service and the shuttle driver. It doesn't take any more effort on his part to drive 2 or to drive 5 in a trip. If we share a shuttle with someone not in "our" group both groups tip. That doesn't happen often...but it does happen. I tip employees that handle the luggage $1 a bag...now that's work. ;)

SOG is owned by the DOD not Disney anymore...Disney has no say in the food they serve. However, I agree that "I have had way worse food at Disney". So even suggestions to SOG would be the pot calling the kettle black.:)

I personally have no problem with the SOG buffet breakfast...there is plenty of choice for everyone, and they have always done a good omelet for my DH. Dinner is OK but nothing to shout about. Like a lot of Disney food. ;)

But then, we don't go to Disney for the food. It it just something we have to do while we are there. :goodvibes

Agree!!
And I would use the buses more often than going back and forth twice a day to the Poly. The buses are great if you plan your time accordingly.

Will be staying at SOG in Sept- never been there, so have a few questions. Would appreciate any info you all have.

1. Do they provide pool towels, or do I need to pack our beach towels from home?

2. Are there fridges in the room? Mini or half size? freezer?

3. How easy is the path to the Polynesian to use? I have heard varying comments...some say quick 10 min walk, some say minimum of 15 min. I have heard it is a quick easy path, others have said it is a long, windy way and crosses a highway?

4. Can you get real coffee? I have heard lots of places in Disney use instant nescafe

Thanks!

Will be staying at SOG in Sept- never been there, so have a few questions. Would appreciate any info you all have.

1. Do they provide pool towels, or do I need to pack our beach towels from home?

2. Are there fridges in the room? Mini or half size? freezer?

3. How easy is the path to the Polynesian to use? I have heard varying comments...some say quick 10 min walk, some say minimum of 15 min. I have heard it is a quick easy path, others have said it is a long, windy way and crosses a highway?

4. Can you get real coffee? I have heard lots of places in Disney use instant nescafe

Thanks!

1. They have pool towels, you do not need to bring your own.

2. Check here for image of fridge http://www.militarydisneytips.com/S...en-Room-Pictures/pages/Dresser-Fridge_jpg.htm

3. The path you take to the Poly is next to the drive up to SOG. It is a pretty walk, and took us about 10 minutes. We went not long after I had had knee surgery, so we were not walking fast...just an average pace...and enjoying the walk. DD took a lot of pictures. :) SOG is across the street from the Poly, so you have to cross the street. It is not a highway. It is a pretty straight shot to the Poly, but once you get there you have to navigate their property a bit. Signs are clear. Check here for a map and pictures...http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Shades-of-Green/Polynesian-walk.html

4. I do not know about the coffee in the rooms. My DH is a coffee snob, so we never use the coffee in the room. He gets his from the Express Cafe downstairs on the way to the bus. They make a good sandwich too.

Hope this helps. Have a Great Trip!! :goodvibes

I second the walk to poly is very short and peaceful. Have you stayed anywhere else on property, we stayed POR, and was in a prefered room and the walk to the bus was almost as long, we stayed in one of the mansions and the walk seemed twice as long from the mansion to the bus than from SoG to poly. We have also been to contemporary and the walk to mk from there is about as long if not longer and not as peaceful and pretty. My guide dog and me can do the walk in about 7 minutes. If we are all together and talking and pointing out the alligator than 10 minutes. If you get the shady shuttle it takes about 5 minutes.

I don't like the coffee in the room, but I don't usually like any hotel room coffee, to bitter and fake cream. But they do have a Starbucks cart which is reasonably priced. I wake up two hours before others so I get a coffee and sit in lobby for an hour or so for peace.

Towels yes, fridge mini.

1. They have pool towels, you do not need to bring your own.

2. Check here for image of fridge http://www.militarydisneytips.com/S...en-Room-Pictures/pages/Dresser-Fridge_jpg.htm

3. The path you take to the Poly is next to the drive up to SOG. It is a pretty walk, and took us about 10 minutes. We went not long after I had had knee surgery, so we were not walking fast...just an average pace...and enjoying the walk. DD took a lot of pictures. :) SOG is across the street from the Poly, so you have to cross the street. It is not a highway. It is a pretty straight shot to the Poly, but once you get there you have to navigate their property a bit. Signs are clear. Check here for a map and pictures...http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Shades-of-Green/Polynesian-walk.html

4. I do not know about the coffee in the rooms. My DH is a coffee snob, so we never use the coffee in the room. He gets his from the Express Cafe downstairs on the way to the bus. They make a good sandwich too.

Hope this helps. Have a Great Trip!! :goodvibes

At Java Cafe (Which is located next to the Exchange) You can get Starbucks coffee..:thumbsup2

The walk to the Poly is great and every once in a while you will see a gator in the pond next to the walk. I also like the Starbucks coffee and will get up early just to have a relaxing cup of it in the lobby before I get everyone else up. We will be there in May. It will be our 6th stay there.

Here is a video that we did last year of our room in the "new section." It was 2101 (I think). Click on the pic to see the video. Just ignore that kooky hubby and goofy me. :lmao:

:lmao:

Does 2xxx in the Palm mean you do not have to ride the elevator? I read somewhere that to go to 1xxx you have to go down. I like the idea of being up, but no elevator. But, I wasn't sure since I only read that one time! Thank you!!!

Nope. No need for the elevator in the 2000s in the Palm.

Hello! I would like to request a room in the same area we stayed last time. I remember that we walked from the lobby to the right, past AAFES and the coffee cart through like a bridge of some type (you could see the pool out the right side of the bridge) and then we were in some of the first rooms past that bridge. I don't know if this makes any sense at all but if it does, could you please tell me what section this is to request? We didn't have to do any stairs or elevators to get to this section! Thank you if anybody can help!

jaz0308 said:
Hello! I would like to request a room in the same area we stayed last time. I remember that we walked from the lobby to the right, past AAFES and the coffee cart through like a bridge of some type (you could see the pool out the right side of the bridge) and then we were in some of the first rooms past that bridge. I don't know if this makes any sense at all but if it does, could you please tell me what section this is to request? We didn't have to do any stairs or elevators to get to this section! Thank you if anybody can help!

How long has it been since you've been there? We wanted the same area we were in in Dec 2010 and they still had a record of the room number. Can't hurt to ask.

That is the Magnolia Wing. Lobby level :)

We just decided on our next trip to WDW in June 2014. We're looking forward to staying at SOG again. I know a lot of people complain about the food, but I think everyone in our group enjoyed the dinner buffet. I forget what the themes were on the days we ate there, but we had no complaints. Just wanted to put it out there that not everyone hates all of the food choices at SOG LOL.

We just decided on our next trip to WDW in June 2014. We're looking forward to staying at SOG again. I know a lot of people complain about the food, but I think everyone in our group enjoyed the dinner buffet. I forget what the themes were on the days we ate there, but we had no complaints. Just wanted to put it out there that not everyone hates all of the food choices at SOG LOL.

This will be our first time at SOG, and we have the breakfast buffet included, so we will get a chance to try it. I will say the only thing worse than bad food, is paying a lot of money for bad food. At least at SOG it's generally less expensive. But I'm not a picky eater and price tends to sway may taste buds. ;)

This will be our first time at SOG, and we have the breakfast buffet included, so we will get a chance to try it. I will say the only thing worse than bad food, is paying a lot of money for bad food. At least at SOG it's generally less expensive. But I'm not a picky eater and price tends to sway may taste buds. ;)

Haha, we're the same with the price. At least at the buffet, everyone in our group was able to find enough of something they liked to make them happy. We never got to try the breakfast buffet before as we were always out the door early to hit the parks, but will probably give it a go next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter